Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017-18 Continental Shield

Re: 2017-18 Continental Shield

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 05:36

I'am curious what this means re FIR

The Continental Shield ... is organised by EPCR in conjunction with
Rugby Europe and the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR).

1) provides little bit of funding | covers some expenses :?:

2) draws format | makes game schedule :?:

3) just enters 4 teams :?:

SAME for RE bar

3) decides which countries are NOT eligible :?:

:::

If 1) is void

then WE-- this forum -- can organize BETTER comp :lol:

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 05:39

GEO page about SHIELD >>
http://site.rugby.ge/ka-GE/2018-19-SHIELD/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 06:13

A Romanian Jurnalist asked EPCR about the format of the shield and he received this answer:

"The decision on a change in the tournament format for the Continental Shield was made between EPCR, the FIR and Rugby Europe.

Like last season, the pathways to the Challenge Cup places are split this season, with one team qualifying having started their journey in the Continental Shield and a play-off to determine the other qualifiers from the two clubs qualified for 2018-19 (Timisoara Saracens and Enisei-STM).

The decision was taken that for this season, there will only be more than one club from Italy and not from any other country although the tournament format is under constant and thorough review. The situation with Germany is well documented, whilst clubs in general were selected from the available clubs in appropriate European territories." Martyn Hindley, Head of Communications and Public Relations, EPCR

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 06:33

Thank you Bogdan, even if this doesn't explain all. The question in fact is not what they decided (to permit to all the nations bar Italy to have no more than one club) but why they decided so. Which is the reason to admit just one club per nation, having so few nations able to participate? The suspect of many people is that it's a move to facilitate the qualification of an italian team, and the words of Hindley don't fade away in no way this suspect

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 06:35

Actually doesn't explain anything :).

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 06:44

They just kill the tournament. The Germans beat Calvizano - go home Germans. The Russians beat the Italians - the Russians go home. The Romanians can beat the Italians - go home Romanians. Obviously the next go home will be Georgians.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 06:52

STMKY wrote:They just kill the tournament. The Germans beat Calvizano - go home Germans. The Russians beat the Italians - the Russians go home. The Romanians can beat the Italians - go home Romanians. Obviously the next go home will be Georgians.

I hope i make no mistake but Romanian teams beat Italian ones every time they meet in Shield&CC.

In Heineken Cup i remember a heavy defeat of Farul in front of Treviso in '95.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 07:03

STMKY wrote:They just kill the tournament. The Germans beat Calvizano - go home Germans. The Russians beat the Italians - the Russians go home. The Romanians can beat the Italians - go home Romanians. Obviously the next go home will be Georgians.

To be fair. Germany wasn't sent home, we went home by ourselves.

It simply bothers me, that Romania and Russia (as they have pro leagues) don't get one direct qualification spot. Georgia should get one as well and for god's sake give Italy one as well. The rest should be fought over between the other Euro nations. That's 3 more places + the 2 already there for "the rest of Europe", so give a 2nd spot to Italy/Russia/Romania whoever finished best among the minors in the last season.
That's 24 teams then. 6 groups of 4 and then they can decide if they play 1/16 final or simply only promote 8 teams to the quarters as they do now. Problems solved, rugby grows.

"But, but then only 2 group 2nd qualify for the quarters, that's soooooo unfair. Mimimimimi. Now 3 group 2nd places qualify for the quarter finals. That is so much better" - "Shut up and play soccer you crying baby" 8-)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 11:12

Really the Italians shouldn't be participating at all, as they already get their two pro teams to qualify for the Challenge Cup automatically. Having the Excellenza sides participate is like having the Welsh Premiership or All-Ireland League taking part.

Postby Raven » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 12:35

This is ridiculous.

4 Italian clubs, 1 GEO, 1 BEL
And still using that play off between Tier 2/3 clubs. No wonder no one cares about this "Shield" nor sees it as something worth promoting.

I do have one question though, let´s say Timisoara beats Enisei, and retain their spot in the competition. BUT Seracens (London) don´t qualify to the Champions Cup. Does the Romanian side get disqualified?
I mean even with past experiences they don´t seem to be able to clarify their own rules.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 12:52

A thing difficult to understand, to me, is why there's no mention of this european participation of the Belgium Barbarians in the two main belgian rugby websites (the only two I know). It should be the news of the month for them, but it's like they ignore it. Maybe they just don't care about Continental Shield... : )

https://www.facebook.com/BelgianRugby/
https://www.facebook.com/sportkipik.be/

I was curious to know who these barbarians are but no news about them

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 12:53

Forecast. If the Enisei loses, then in a year there will not be a single club in Russia in the Shield. If Timisoara loses, there will not be a single club from Romania in Shield. This is called eliminating competitors. They change the rules of the game every year, adjusting to Italian clubs. This can not be called a sport.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 12:58

The saddest thing is, they do not explain their decisions in any way. It would be better to do as the British, at least come up with some accusations of doping, bribery of judges, Russian / Romanian / German mafia or hackers. Can you think of at least something? Then there would be at least some PR and argument. And so very quietly kill a very interesting tournament.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 07:37

The only thing that keeps Russian rugby in Europe this Challenge Cup.
If this ancher disappers then we have nothing to do here ...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 20:13

Canalina wrote:I always remain thunderstruck on viewing how handball is popular in most of the rest of Europe while very few popular and usually considered boring here in Italy.
Before throwing accusations toward the rugby boards we should consider also this: maybe handball is more popular than rugby in most of Europe, but in some other european nations (Italy, GB) and I think in the main part of the world it is some like unknown (the best 14 nations of the World Ranking are european and there are just 50 nations in the ranking, according to http://www.ihf.info/en-us/thegame/ranki ... eamCatID=2). If hanbdall managers are so much more brilliant and open wide than the rugby ones why they don't conquer all the markets?
Maybe the supposed closed mind of the rugby high rooms doesn't explain all

You think you’re confused, think of where I’m sitting. I’m American and handball is literally nonexistent in this country, in fact I’m sure there are more people playing rugby league than handball (and there are only like 15 teams). I’ve only ever played it in gym class as a kid but for the longest time I though it was just one of those obscure games that were made up just for gym class. It was pretty fun though, like soccer but you can use your hands.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2018-19 Continental Shield

Postby Canalina » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 20:37

And the belgian specialized websites keep totally ignoring the news about these Belgian Barbarians in the Cont Shield.
This confuses me even more..

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 21:54

Today and tomorrow, in the national championships...

Petrarca Padova v Rovigo 16-0
Valorugby Emilia (squad of my city) v Fiamme Oro 43-29
Calvisano v Florence 35-10

Locomotive Tbilisi v Academy Tbilisi live tomorrow, sunday, at 17.30 local (13.30 UTC, I think) on http://www.facebook.com/pg/RugbyTVGeorgia/

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby tango602 » Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 00:12

It feels to me like the organisers are trying bit by bit to kill off this competition, first the issue with Heidelberger RK which personally I feel was a non-issue. Especially when a similar situation happened with the two Red Bull clubs in Football's UEFA Champions League.

Secondly there are too many Italian entries into the competition and too few entries from other nations, looking at this season compared to last I see no German or Portuguese entry and instead we have what is essentially a Belgian select side and 50% of the competition formed of Italian clubs.

Will barely have an interest this season as things stand, personally I would love to see the Continental Shield as a 16 club competition with a group stage and knockout rounds where you would have the top 2 Eccellenza clubs, the Continental Shield finalists from the previous season if their fixtures could be fit in as well as the champions of all of the Rugby Europe Championship and Rugby Europe Trophy nations with the two finalists getting spots in the Challenge Cup.

This way you would have a tournament that provides a route into the Challenge Cup like now but you would also have a wider base of clubs, more growth of the game and the possibility of entering new markets which I believe is one of EPCR's aims. Yes there may be obstacles in achieving this but I am sure ways could be found to do it.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 06:38

50% of the competition formed of Italian clubs

More, sir, as 4/6 = 66.6666... %

I would love to see the Continental Shield as a 16 club competition

Will happen ONLY if ITA renounces | is stripped the divine rights of QZZ (QuaZi OrganiZer)

entering new markets which I believe is one of EPCR's aims

You are misguided | too naive, sir ...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 17:37

Enisei wrote that they are part of the Continental Shield together with Timisoara and that there will be a Continental Shield final in Newcastle, with both the finalists already qualified for the next Challenge Cup. But I think they misunderstood the mechanism of this year's tournament.
Basically Enisei and Timisoara are not part of the Continental Shield: they will play in Challenge Cup's pools and then they will match each other to remain in Challenge next year

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 06:34

YES, there is NO third game in Newcastle in 2019
2-leg Shield Final is between winners of Shield pools

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 06:54

Canalina wrote:And the belgian specialized websites keep totally ignoring the news about these Belgian Barbarians in the Cont Shield.
This confuses me even more..
To add to your confusion the Belgian union's website still lists a full round of matches for their Division 1 in the weekend of October 13th.

National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Postby louizar » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 07:19

The belgian rugby union is going to field a team and they are going to adapt the calendar. From what I have heard, Dendermonde and La hulpe ( the two top belgian sides) refuse to send their players to the franchise because of the lack of organisation of the union.
No staff was decided yet and the team has not trained together while the first game is in 20 days. They do not want to take the risk to send their players to play against semi pro sides with little or no preparation at all.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 08:53

BELGIUM has bye in week 1

They host Petrarca Padova in week 2, on 20/10

So, they have full three weeks plus to organize themselves

Albeit, agree, it's not a lot

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 13:33

Just catching up on this. Terrible news and a step backwards.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum