Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The rugby law book will be cut by 50%

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: The rugby law book will be cut by 50%

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 01:45

So I've got beef with the Cipriani red. He had no ability to shift his body lower because he was basically standing upright when Scannell put his head down and into his shoulder less than a meter away. He lowered the crown of his head to either draw the penalty or protect himself or both. Unless we're protecting bot the defender and attacker here...it's just bullshit. What should happen here is a yellow to Scannell if the law was balanced.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 07:43

frakturfreak wrote:
Also I find Maul especially disturbing in the German version of the law book without an IPA guide of its pronounciation.

This. Maul literally means "mouth of an animal" in German and it is also used to say to somebody to shut up "Halts Maul" = (Shut your pie-hole).
That's a word I actually prefer the German version "Paket" (=packet in english).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 14:43

frakturfreak wrote:There was an unofficial translation of the 2009 laws, not officially sanctioned by the IRB.

It still can be downloaded at https://www.drvreferees.de/images/sdrv/laws/RegelnGesamt.pdf

And this version was written in the German terms I talked about. The usage of the English terms is kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy, if the only official version of the laws you can use is written in English and all the coaches and a large player base is English speaking, of course you’d use the English terms.

Also I find Maul especially disturbing in the German version of the law book without an IPA guide of its pronounciation.

Nevertheless, using the terms mark and ruck is more suitable on the field, even for native German speakers. On one hand, Mark as only on vowel, Marke two. On the other hand, offenes Gedränge and Gedränge aren't distinguishable on the field. Even had the problem during practise while refereeing, as some people thought I wanted to stop play when calling Gedränge instead of ruck.
I definetly like the translation of the laws, though I still prefer the original version, as there are some aspects lost during a translation as always. But as long as there are no rule mistakes (which I couldn't find) it helps younger players and non fluent English speakers tremendously to get a better grasp of the game.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Werner » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 15:15

Gorbeh wrote:
frakturfreak wrote:There was an unofficial translation of the 2009 laws, not officially sanctioned by the IRB.

It still can be downloaded at https://www.drvreferees.de/images/sdrv/laws/RegelnGesamt.pdf

And this version was written in the German terms I talked about. The usage of the English terms is kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy, if the only official version of the laws you can use is written in English and all the coaches and a large player base is English speaking, of course you’d use the English terms.

Nevertheless, using the terms mark and ruck is more suitable on the field, even for native German speakers. On one hand, Mark as only on vowel, Marke two. On the other hand, offenes Gedränge and Gedränge aren't distinguishable on the field. Even had the problem during practise while refereeing, as some people thought I wanted to stop play when calling Gedränge instead of ruck.
I definitely like the translation of the laws, though I still prefer the original version, as there are some aspects lost during a translation as always. But as long as there are no rule mistakes (which I couldn't find) it helps younger players and non fluent English speakers tremendously to get a better grasp of the game.
Strange discussions. The wording "Tackle" has been introduced in the 2000 german law translation and replaced the misleading "Halten". Ruck has been introduced 2005 and replaced "Offenes Gedränge", where the most common call before was "offenes". The call for a Mark (introduced 2018 and replaced "Marke") was "Mark" for at least decades in the german translation. Now only the naming of the process of calling "Mark" changed in addition.

The "official" 2018 version replaced the former "unoffical" German version from 2016 and replaced some wording by the English original. So what. The times they are a-changin'.

The 2018 Laws of the Game is a major revised version ("cut by 50%" ?!). Thank's for the extensive work by the involved persons from the German Rugby Referees Union SDRV.

2c

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby frakturfreak » Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 18:54

Also I would make a point that the one extra syllable of „Paket“ compared to „Maul“ doesn’t make much difference in understandibility. Which other word beginning with Pa- is there could it be confused with in a situation where a Maul could form? I could’ve lived with the German terms mentioned in the definitions. It wouldn’t have been this hard to implement.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum