Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Posts: 65
Joined: Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 17:39
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Grayday88 » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 16:23

IanCleverly wrote:
Grayday88 wrote:Have there been any further updates as to what teams will be playing in this league next year?


Quite a big one today

A host of Pacific rugby players face an uncertain future after the Global Rapid Rugby competition cancelled its inaugural season, less than two months before the proposed start date. The brainchild of billionaire Western Force owner Andrew Forrest, eight teams from Australia, Asia and the Pacific Islands were originally on board to contest a four-month season in 2019, including entries representing Fiji and Samoa. Pacific Rugby Players CEO Aayden Clarke said that number had dropped to six, after two teams pulled out.

He was in contact with Global Rapid Rugby officials only a few days ago, to discuss player welfare issues for the impending campaign, but said yesterday it was revealed the competition would not go ahead at all. "We are disappointed because so much has been promised by GRR, but they have failed to deliver, The big losers in this are the players who have made commitments to their team and GRR, they have given up work, made family decisions and passed up other contract opportunities, but are now left high and dry. There are 30 contracted players in Singapore who have been training since January specifically for this competition, there are many players in Fiji and Samoa who made commitments to this. So what happens to them now?"


I’m sad to hear this but not surprised I hope that this is nothing more than a delay but you have to worry about the competitions future

Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Tobar » Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 15:40

I think Twiggy tried expanding this league too....rapidly. Heh.

But really they should’ve just added a few teams and allowed for derbies with the other Australian teams. So instead of expanding to a full season they would have home and away for 3 or 4 teams (Force, Fiji, Japan, NSW team). Then the Force and NSW team can also have some exhibition derby matches against the other Australian Super Rugby teams. The SR matches last year were the best attended and probably a fun match to play against Wallabies players.

So the season length would be 6 games for the GRR teams and then an additional 4 for the Super Rugby matches. The Japanese team could even play against the Sunwolves if possible. I think that makes for a solid competition for the first couple of years.

Posts: 4841
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 17:09

He tried to do things from day to night (like USA's PRO) to show Rugby Australia and SANZAAR they do everything wrong. He clearly had not much idea about Asian Rugby and tried an agressive approach change the rugby laws even before he had teams and a competition. He did everything wrong too. Big mess. I really believe nothing was really well studied...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 03:29

Showcase series schedule is up. https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e240c958a ... _FINAL.pdf.

Confirmantion that both a Fijian and Samoan team will feature in the Pacific leg of it the series and apparently talks with the Western Sydney group have stalled and Newcastle (a large regional city about 2 hours north of Sydney) are currently talking about entry. The region the city is located has around 650k people living there are effectively butts up against the Central Coast with around 400k and Lake Macquaire regions with 200k. So it's probably a responsible location if the WS team falls through.

Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 03:32

Tobar wrote:I think Twiggy tried expanding this league too....rapidly. Heh.

But really they should’ve just added a few teams and allowed for derbies with the other Australian teams. So instead of expanding to a full season they would have home and away for 3 or 4 teams (Force, Fiji, Japan, NSW team). Then the Force and NSW team can also have some exhibition derby matches against the other Australian Super Rugby teams. The SR matches last year were the best attended and probably a fun match to play against Wallabies players.

So the season length would be 6 games for the GRR teams and then an additional 4 for the Super Rugby matches. The Japanese team could even play against the Sunwolves if possible. I think that makes for a solid competition for the first couple of years.


I think he underestimated the logistics of pulling such a venture together in such a short time frame. But apparently they'll launch next year with the teams featuring in the Showcase series. A East Coast team (I'd be open to two if I'm honest) and at least one Japanese team.

Posts: 4653
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 04:07

I don't have an issue with Newcastle getting a team but it pisses me off Western Sydney is continuously screwed over.

Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 04:35

thatrugbyguy wrote:I don't have an issue with Newcastle getting a team but it pisses me off Western Sydney is continuously screwed over.


I want a WS team for purely selfish reasons. If the scheduling could be worked out they could host home games while the Tahs played away and vice versa. That would mean I would always have a home team to support.

Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Tobar » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 13:29

Working Class Rugger wrote:Showcase series schedule is up. https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e240c958a ... _FINAL.pdf.

Confirmantion that both a Fijian and Samoan team will feature in the Pacific leg of it the series and apparently talks with the Western Sydney group have stalled and Newcastle (a large regional city about 2 hours north of Sydney) are currently talking about entry. The region the city is located has around 650k people living there are effectively butts up against the Central Coast with around 400k and Lake Macquaire regions with 200k. So it's probably a responsible location if the WS team falls through.


Good, glad to see that something is still happening. This schedule is a step up from last year’s since all the games were hosted in Perth. Now this creates games in potential markets to gauge interest for a full league - Hong Kong, Singapore, Fiji, Samoa - and still highlights the Force as the marquee team. Though Samoa isn’t actually hosting any matches because of construction on their stadium but they’re putting the games in cities with high Samoan populations. Should be fun for those who are essentially watching a Samoan representative side.

Hope this season kicks off nicely and gets a decent attendance.

Posts: 1082
Joined: Mon, 21 Apr 2014, 08:23
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby beber » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 14:11

Tom Varndell and Samisoni Viriviri to join South China Tigers

User avatar
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby 4N » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 22:43

Sireli Bobo in the Asia-Pacific Dragons squad at age 43! Older than the assistant coach Hale T-Pole.

http://www.asierugby.net/asia-pacific-dragons.php#1123

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests