Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 06:21

Working Class Rugger wrote:They are working for eligibility for all Aus players within the entire structure as opposed to just the Force. Which to be honest makes the most sense in my opinion. Even if (when) the other four franchises jump across in the aftermath of SR's collapse it should remain as so. Can only present us with more depth which can never hurt.

It would be the correct call to make. There's no point denying Australians opportunities in franchises outside of the country when it would be a domestic league. But yeah, Tahs, Reds, Brumbies and Rebs all make the jump for the 2021 season.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 07:49

if the Force joins an Asian League? Will the other OZ franchises decide to jump in 2021 will they pay the piper?( Forrest?) will the ARU come cap in hand asking to be forgiven given the ARU is literally bankrupt?

A lot of big if's after the world cup... too many unknowns to quote a famous politician :D

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 08:11

How can the Force retain their players if it doesn't start until 2019? I think this makes the project more challenging.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 08:37

thatrugbyguy wrote:Competition won't start until 2019 now. Now looks like only Western Force players might remain eligible for the Wallabies. So that gives the IPRC a good 18 months to get its house in order and develop its 5 other teams, and start generating support from where ever the teams are going to be. So the fact this is going to be played during the same period as Super Rugby is interesting. If the Aussie SR teams breakaway and join IPRC then the transition is going to be smooth

I really hope the ARU aren't that stupid.

They are trying to build a league here and to build a league you need some sort of parity, or at least an earned advantage. If you can't have Aussie's playing across the league to raise the standard you just get Super Rugby mk.II except with Australia in the boring NZ role.

I really dislike this protectionist and nationalist streak in rugby where the administrators seem to hate letting the players play where they like.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 22:17

I am willing to bet this league never gets off the ground.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 22:26

eal22 wrote:I am willing to bet this league never gets off the ground.

Will be sanctioned by WR, is approved by RA. I reckon it will.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 22:49

I'm 99% sure this will happen. Too many meetings have taken place for this to be just pie in the sky stuff.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017, 02:06

Let's admit in here other than few stats shown of the TV viewership of WC finals & some AB games , in domestic level & even in international level Rugby is a very unpopular sport in the world .This is mainly due to Asia the 60% world population don't follow this sport like others . Now go and take a look at the support given by each and every Rugby Unions in Asia for IPRC . So If anybody thinks that WR will say no to this tournament which they could advertise the game in Asia without spending a penny I think you are pretty much wrong .

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017, 02:12

kush123 wrote:Let's admit in here other than few stats shown of the TV viewership of WC finals & some AB games , in domestic level & even in international level Rugby is a very unpopular sport in the world .This is mainly due to Asia the 60% world population don't follow this sport like others . Now go and take a look at the support given by each and every Rugby Unions in Asia for IPRC . So If anybody thinks that WR will say no to this tournament which they could advertise the game in Asia without spending a penny I think you are pretty much wrong .

Having said that WR works in very bizarre manner sometimes . remember to develop the game in Asia they removed the automatic WC qualification spot Asia had in a WC that also going to be hosted in Asia :lol: .. so.... :lol:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 08 Nov 2017, 02:20

The fact World Rugby sanctioned Pro Rugby should indicate they are quite happy for someone to spend a truck load of money on their behalf.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 08 Nov 2017, 07:44

https://www.asiarugby.com/2017/11/05/in ... mpionship/
Some details about the meeting they had recently

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 09:58

Today's media release from the IPRC group. Most interestingly. They will be running both men's and women's 15s. With the women opening the proceedings and the men closing them. This is a big win in my books and pretty much secures my support. Will also be running an independent 7s circuit.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum