Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 10 Dec 2017, 12:13

The ARU can block any player playing in Forrests league from playing for the Wallabies. They hold most of the trump cards.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 10 Dec 2017, 13:17

http://www.sarugby.co.za/article.aspx?c ... id=4193664

As much as I know RugbyLiebe has an issue with these names being brought up all the time but any professional league would be an option for these 2 franchises, in either hemisphere.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 10 Dec 2017, 15:55

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:The ARU can block any player playing in Forrests league from playing for the Wallabies. They hold most of the trump cards.

But they shouldn't be viewing it as a game of cards to win or lose!

So what if it over takes Super Rugby? That would be great for the game in Australia. This is a classic example of how national unions are more concerned with keeping their power even at the cost to the game itself. ARU should be looking at this as a great chance to get out of professional rugby and concentrate on running the national team and supporting grass roots.

Postby 4N » Sun, 10 Dec 2017, 16:12

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:The ARU can block any player playing in Forrests league from playing for the Wallabies. They hold most of the trump cards.

Disagree. They risk further alienating the rugby public. They have seats to (try to) fill for SR and the Wallabies, in a very competitive sporting environment with lots of other options for the fan.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 10 Dec 2017, 20:30

I'm not saying that it would be the right thing to do by the ARU. I'm saying I think if they don't get near 100% of what they want from Forrest then they will do what they can to kill this venture. And they have ample tools at their disposal to do so.

And yes, if that happened it'd be idiotic and counterproductive.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 11 Dec 2017, 08:34

Sables4EVA wrote:http://www.sarugby.co.za/article.aspx?category=sarugby&id=4193664

As much as I know RugbyLiebe has an issue with these names being brought up all the time but any professional league would be an option for these 2 franchises, in either hemisphere.

Actually I am very divided on this issue. The Pro14 has absolutely gained attraction for me with the addition of SA franchises. But off course it doesn't help rugby to grow one single bit. The SA attendances have been not that good, too.
Adding SA franchises to this league is even more senseless, as one important point is having not as big time differences as in Super Rugby.

To put it all in a nutshell, I am simply surprised by the lack of imagination that Rugby could grow in other countries even more, if there was just more interest by the powerhouses to actually grow it. Put nearly all of those Unions are busy trying to create new variations of all their provinces/ clubs/ franchises already in existence.

Edit: what is so wrong with the SuperSport Rugby Challenge/ Vodacom cup, that everybody seems so unsaturated rugby-wise?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum