Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 03:16

Look to this! https://www.rugbywa.asn.au/news/andrew- ... ur-spirit/

Just a part of it:

"This is the beginning of the new Western Force and the new Indo Pacific rugby competition based on a fast moving game, highly spectator and player friendly, in full formal competition, as well as a new seven a side competition. This will include strong encouragement of women’s’ rugby.

This new Australasian rugby format will tap deep into the burgeoning interest in rugby that exists amongst countries in the time zone that is aligned with WA.

We have recruited world class, sport futurists and experienced rugby leaders to design a smart and prosperous new rugby format that will appeal to players, coaches, fans, sponsors and broadcasters.

Discussions with international commercial partners, member unions, elite players and the WA Government have commenced, and, as soon as we can, we will let the fans know all the exciting details."

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 03:37

Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, China, all align in that timezone.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 06:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:Because it's going to be a western league and SA would be a natural fit. I know the rugby scene isn't big there, but if they are looking to get this thing moving ASAP Forrest is probably going to be looking for the states with the fewest potential sanctioning issues. The Rams would have to breakaway from the ARU to join this.

Highly unlikely, SA is already stretched to capacity with it's AFL and Soccer franchises, There's no room for Union there

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 06:34

Football is played during the summer so it's a non issue. I'm not saying it's going to happen but every other major state is going to be aligned with Super Rugby until at least 2020 and the Force are going to need at least one other team based in Australia to make this thing viable. The only other options as far as I can see are NSW Country or Queensland Country.

Postby 4N » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 09:22

Sounding like Malaysia may want a pro side? They seem to get solid support in KL to be fair.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 09:48

4N wrote:Sounding like Malaysia may want a pro side? They seem to get solid support in KL to be fair.

Source?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 10:02

Working Class Rugger wrote:
4N wrote:Sounding like Malaysia may want a pro side? They seem to get solid support in KL to be fair.

Source?

Here is a source on the Malaysian domestic championship looking to go pro in 2018; http://www.mru.org.my/web/news/new-mala ... s-release/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 11:59

sammo wrote:

Source?

Here is a source on the Malaysian domestic championship looking to go pro in 2018; http://www.mru.org.my/web/news/new-mala ... s-release/

That's referring to the MRL making the step to professionalism and not a Malaysian franchise. If someone has the cash and the interest exists I'd be fine with a KL team but I need something to be announced first.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 12:05

What about Papua New Guinea? It's League territory, close to Australia both geographically and culturally speaking and it's easier to imagine decent league players making the transition than building decent teams in countries with less tradition.

Two Australian teams, an Islander squad, Papua New Guinea, Malaysia and Hong Kong/Korea/Japan would be more than enough.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 13:37

PNG is a bit of a hell-hole to be honest and lacks corporate money. I guess Forrest could run a franchise there as some sort of charitable venture but otherwise it isn't going to happen.

The big question for the Western Force is what will happen to their elite players? Will the Wallaby players stick it out with the Force or will they choose or be coerced to defect to one of the Australian SR teams? If they all defect the Force will face an uphill battle to remain relevant. There isn't yet a strong enough base of elite club players in WA to field a competitive 30-player franchise and a team full of foreign mercenaries will struggle to capture the hearts of locals.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 14:25

It's all going to depend on whether the ARU sanctions this new league. The biggest issue is if it's unsanctioned it means an entire nursery of rugby talent is going to be lost to the Wallabies, or worse, the best players from the east coast might be lured away entirely. We're talking about a guy worth more than the combined wealth of the ARU, AFL, A-League, NRL and domestic cricket league. The ARU can't abandon the West Australian rugby community as it's the third biggest rugby state in the country. Nor can they allow the best players in the country not be eligible for the Wallabies. It's in their best interest to support any new league the Force play in.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby olivier » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 15:30

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 15:37

PNG is a bit of a hell-hole to be honest and lacks corporate money.

PNG is running a profssional rugby league team in the Queensland league (equivalent to Australian 2nd division). This is a year long competition (different from Union's NRC), not sure if they can support another thing now.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 16:24

No, but I can understand why you thought that because that is one of the most convoluted goddamn sentences that I have ever seen. I've seen 2020 come up as a marker before because that is when Super Rugby's current broadcast agreement ends and is the final year that teams are under contract to compete in the competition (and those two things may be tied together). He's either suggesting that Super Rugby will be begging the Force to come back at this point, or that this league will be so strong that they'll pull Super Rugby teams in.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 17:03

thatrugbyguy wrote:Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, China, all align in that timezone.

Please read again.

SallesNeto_BR wrote: https://www.rugbywa.asn.au/news/andrew- ... ur-spirit/

"This is the beginning of the new Western Force and the new Indo Pacific rugby competition based on a fast moving game, highly spectator and player friendly, in full formal competition..."

Everyone is crazy about Chinese sports, but I think India is next.

gibbs wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:If I were to start a professional rugby competition in Asia-Pacific, I'd do a sevens series with rounds in Tokyo, Seoul, Mumbai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, etc.

Mumbai ??!!? Indians only flock to watch Cricket, No infrastructure except for the Bombay Gymkhana and that hardly a Rugby field

You'd be lucky to get 100 locals, Huge populations doesn't necessarily mean large following

SallesNeto_BR wrote: "... as well as a new seven a side competition"

Ha! I told you. :)

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 17:48

Indo I think is more of a reference to the Indian Ocean than to India itself. I'd say Malaysia/Singapore could come under "Indo" (neighbouring as it does Indonesia), so something like Sri Lanka is not certain to be under consideration. Although I think you could also have grouped Australia, Malaysia and Singapore under "Oceania", so there may be something significant in the term Indo.

I would never call South Africa "Indo" even though it is on the Indian Ocean.

"Pacific" could be best used to describe anything from the Pacific Islanders, Hong Kong, Korea, China, all the way around to North America and down to Argentina - so it doesn't help us much.

Postby 4N » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 21:25

Source?

Early days, more details will come out I'm sure.

While Mr Forrest did not reveal precise details, it is understood teams could be established in countries such as China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka and Malaysia.

http://www.afr.com/news/andrew-forrest- ... 905-gyb8je

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 21:29

I am willing to bet now that if this competition gets off the ground it won't last for more than one season. Forrest has a lot of money, but I doubt he wants to spend all of it on rugby union. To be honest he would be better off aiming for a Force switch to the NRL. Most Australians outside of NSW and QLD are lucky if they can differentiate between the two codes anyway.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 21:43

That's not true with WA. People know the difference there. The Force are not going to become an NRL club, mostly because the NRL don't want expansion. In other breaking news Forrest has apparently already contacted the Alibaba boss who invested that $100m into China.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 06 Sep 2017, 02:54

eal22 wrote:I am willing to bet now that if this competition gets off the ground it won't last for more than one season. Forrest has a lot of money, but I doubt he wants to spend all of it on rugby union. To be honest he would be better off aiming for a Force switch to the NRL. Most Australians outside of NSW and QLD are lucky if they can differentiate between the two codes anyway.

He's not the only backer apparently.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 06 Sep 2017, 13:43

NaBUru38 wrote:

)

Not comparable, China is a sporting powerhouse just check their Olympic records, India by the latest consensus may have a larger population than China thus largest in the world but they probably are the least athletic nation in the world per capita with may be a handful of medals in field hokey and a few individual medals to show.. Except for Cricket which they follow as a religion no other sport really has a large following nor do they have that much success at world stage especially when it comes to team sports, Even their national sport field hokey is nowhere at the top of the world ranks despite maybe having the largest pool.. And given Rugby really doesn't have a tradition there it'll hardly be a success.. They tried other pro leagues and events like the F1, With little success

Again it's a mistake to think that just because certain places have humongous populations that it will invariably be successful in sporting endevour either commercially or participation wise.. It's smarter to invest where there is already a passion for the sport

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Wed, 06 Sep 2017, 14:45

gibbs wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

)

Not comparable, China is a sporting powerhouse just check their Olympic records, India by the latest consensus may have a larger population than China thus largest in the world but they probably are the least athletic nation in the world per capita with may be a handful of medals in field hokey and a few individual medals to show.. Except for Cricket which they follow as a religion no other sport really has a large following nor do they have that much success at world stage especially when it comes to team sports, Even their national sport field hokey is nowhere at the top of the world ranks despite maybe having the largest pool.. And given Rugby really doesn't have a tradition there it'll hardly be a success.. They tried other pro leagues and events like the F1, With little success

Again it's a mistake to think that just because certain places have humongous populations that it will invariably be successful in sporting endevour either commercially or participation wise.. It's smarter to invest where there is already a passion for the sport

I dunno about them being the least athletic. I think its more of a cultural thing. Its very hot in India and then they have the heavy rainy season plus I'd say their religion plays a part in them not being too competitive.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 06 Sep 2017, 16:59

dropkick wrote:

I dunno about them being the least athletic. I think its more of a cultural thing. Its very hot in India and then they have the heavy rainy season plus I'd say their religion plays a part in them not being too competitive.

Well the only religious aspect i can think of is being a majority Hindu nation most don't eat beef and most Hindus are strictly Vegetation, But thats just the dietary side of it.. It's more of a cultural thing they have over 1.3 billion people but their sporting achievements at the world stage is dismal.. Lets just say if they find 1% out of that who can be physically fit for a contact sport still that number will be all of Australia, NZ and pacific islands ten times over or more

Also the South pacific arnt exactly temperate either climate wise especially Fiji, Or even for that matter Sri Lanka where rugby is big

Having saying that Japan, China, Korea, Mongolia are Buddhist majority nations a way more passive religion even than Hinduism.. All of those nations are better than India on the sports field

Yeah so it's a culmination of many factors i guess

Coming back to the subject matter, I guess for any franchise to correspond it has to be in the same time zone as the West coast so best bet are teams from South East or East Asia

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 06 Sep 2017, 17:31

gibbs wrote: India probably are the least athletic nation in the world per capita with may be a handful of medals in field hokey and a few individual medals to show..
Except for Cricket which they follow as a religion no other sport really has a large following
They tried other pro leagues and events like the F1, With little success

Indeed! Still, there are quite a few professional sports startups going on in India.

gibbs wrote: Again it's a mistake to think that just because certain places have humongous populations that it will invariably be successful in sporting endevour either commercially or participation wise.

It's smarter to invest where there is already a passion for the sport

Correct. But investors see numbers, not faces.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 07 Sep 2017, 02:02

New competition won't be a 'rebel' league according to those connected to the idea:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... yceyp.html

This would indicate this new league is looking to be sanction by the ARU and World Rugby. If this goes ahead I can't see any reason why there would be any objections. The ARU still get access to the best players from the west coast of the country, and WR gets a massive cash injection and more professional resources into Asia. It's a win-win situation for both the ARU and WR.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum