Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Tobar » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 03:01

victorsra wrote:Hong Kong team will be called South China Tigers: https://www.hkrugby.com/news/hkru-confi ... apid-rugby

What a bad name "Global Rapid Rugby". It doesn't even sound a league name...


Very good news for Hong Kong. It's not so huge of a jump where competing with other teams is extremely difficult (like the Sunwolves in SR) and gives a good kick in the ass to make HK a better rugby playing city/country, whatever it is. Hopefully it involves more native Chinese rather than continuing to use just the <1% of British/Aussie expats that live there. But at the same time it can use the old boys network to get some finances behind it as well as work alongside the HK 7s to get some interest in the team.

Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 03:09

Just because they're white doesn't mean they're expats...

Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 04:37

I believe Hong Kong's captain was born there. So yeah, jus because they're not Asian looking doesn't mean they aren't natives.

Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 12:20

I think 'Global' will be replaced the second they get a competition sponsor. Rapid sounds weird but it's probably not that much weirder than 'Super.'


At least "Super" is used by sports leagues. The infinite number of "Super Leagues".

I only know 3 "Rapids" and they are all soccer CLUBS, not leagues (Rapid Wien, Rapid Bucharest and Colorado Rapids... am I forgetting someone?)
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Tobar » Sun, 18 Nov 2018, 03:33

TheStroBro wrote:Just because they're white doesn't mean they're expats...


Okay but only .8% of Hong Kongese people are of European descent and 92% are Chinese so it is not representative of the greater population. If they are white then there’s a very good chance they are expats or children of expats and weren’t exposed to rugby for the first time because of local initiatives.

Posts: 66
Joined: Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 17:39
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Grayday88 » Wed, 16 Jan 2019, 23:48

Have there been any further updates as to what teams will be playing in this league next year?

Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Thu, 17 Jan 2019, 00:00

Tobar wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Just because they're white doesn't mean they're expats...


Okay but only .8% of Hong Kongese people are of European descent and 92% are Chinese so it is not representative of the greater population. If they are white then there’s a very good chance they are expats or children of expats and weren’t exposed to rugby for the first time because of local initiatives.


But 8% is like 500k people. Plenty in the rugby world.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3251
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 17 Jan 2019, 00:04

0.8%, not 8%. Hong Kong has other Asian non-Chinese population too.

Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Thu, 17 Jan 2019, 13:13

Oh, .8 is no good indeed. I thought it was a bit bigger.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby 4N » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 01:24

Grayday88 wrote:Have there been any further updates as to what teams will be playing in this league next year?


The competition has teams from Fiji, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Samoa, Fiji and an unknown country, believed to be the United States.

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/south ... -9Eb1Hvo8Q

Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Tobar » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 15:05

It seems that quite a few Mitre 10 Cup players will end up playing in GRR, which is good all around since the players can play in both leagues without overlapping. I don't know how club rugby works in NZ though as the article says "There had been speculation Martin was roaming far and wide in the South to get players to come and play for the side, which was causing concern for clubs." What clubs would be concerned about this? Is there a competition outside of Mitre 10 for these players or are they concerned they will lose the players for other countries?

Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 16:37

Tobar wrote:It seems that quite a few Mitre 10 Cup players will end up playing in GRR, which is good all around since the players can play in both leagues without overlapping. I don't know how club rugby works in NZ though as the article says "There had been speculation Martin was roaming far and wide in the South to get players to come and play for the side, which was causing concern for clubs." What clubs would be concerned about this? Is there a competition outside of Mitre 10 for these players or are they concerned they will lose the players for other countries?


In NZ the structure is

Club
Province (Mitre 10)
Super Rugby
All Blacks

Club season is basically during Super Rugby season and the best club players who didn't make Super Rugby squads basically end up joining the Super Rugby players who don't make the All Blacks in the Mitre 10. So if these players who would normally be amongst the best club players are now playing for GRR sides, that's going to hurt club rugby in NZ.

Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Tobar » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 20:51

Gotcha, makes sense. I can see the clubs not being too pleased but if it's not a huge drain of players then I think NZ club rugby will be fine. There should be some NRC players in these squads as well, esp. considering the Force was an NRC team last year.

Posts: 66
Joined: Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 17:39
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Grayday88 » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 23:38

With not all the teams even announced yet I feel to see how this competition kicks off in March

Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 01:32

reminds Pro Rugby
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 49
Joined: Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 20:38
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Rugga » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 16:47

What do people think about the rule changes like the no kicking in the 22 and no mark etc?

User avatar
Posts: 1128
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 20:54

No kicking in the 22 means offensively and / or defensively?

Posts: 49
Joined: Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 20:38
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Rugga » Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 17:54

No kicking out on the full in your own 22.

Posts: 1933
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 18:03

With the no mark rule too it will make tactical kicking very important and field position vital. Will make it very tough for poor sides to clear their lines and could result in some whoppings if one side dominates field position and picks up easy score after easy score from the side trying to play their way out.

Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 19:42

A team like Malaysia would really struggle...

Rugby is lost believing small entertaining changes will make it more popular. And that's not true. Otherwise sevens would be imensely popular and it isn't.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 2498
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby 4N » Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 22:38

The Malaysian team will be mostly Valke players from South Africa.

Posts: 49
Joined: Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 20:38
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Rugga » Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 23:07

Will the rules not force teams to have more people in the back field ( which will make more space for the attacking team) at all times because of the dangers of the 40/20 rule and because the fullback can’t clear his lines because he can’t kick it out on the full he’ll have to run it and need people to hit the ruck.

Posts: 49
Joined: Thu, 11 Oct 2018, 20:38
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Rugga » Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 23:09

Would twiggy buy someone like RTS out of contract? Because if the rules do force the full back to run it out he is the best guy for the job league or union!

Posts: 153
Joined: Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 00:16
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby IanCleverly » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 14:11

Grayday88 wrote:Have there been any further updates as to what teams will be playing in this league next year?


Quite a big one today

A host of Pacific rugby players face an uncertain future after the Global Rapid Rugby competition cancelled its inaugural season, less than two months before the proposed start date. The brainchild of billionaire Western Force owner Andrew Forrest, eight teams from Australia, Asia and the Pacific Islands were originally on board to contest a four-month season in 2019, including entries representing Fiji and Samoa. Pacific Rugby Players CEO Aayden Clarke said that number had dropped to six, after two teams pulled out.

He was in contact with Global Rapid Rugby officials only a few days ago, to discuss player welfare issues for the impending campaign, but said yesterday it was revealed the competition would not go ahead at all. "We are disappointed because so much has been promised by GRR, but they have failed to deliver, The big losers in this are the players who have made commitments to their team and GRR, they have given up work, made family decisions and passed up other contract opportunities, but are now left high and dry. There are 30 contracted players in Singapore who have been training since January specifically for this competition, there are many players in Fiji and Samoa who made commitments to this. So what happens to them now?"


Story foes further https://www.radionz.co.nz/international ... but-season

Posts: 4884
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby victorsra » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 16:21

I would say Sanzar has a last chance to make things right.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests