Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 17:45

If Tonga are looking for some players, there will be quite a few Tongans in the English Championship who might now be looking for their next job after hearing funding from the RFU has been halved.

Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 17:55

Tonga doesn't have money for that, unless there is someone wishing to pay for them.

Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 18:05

Maybe Andrew Forrest will pay rather than let GRR be delayed for another year.

Thu, 13 Feb 2020, 04:41

Edgar wrote:Just a month away from kickoff now and, yes, there are doubts as to whether the Chinese entry will even be able to take part due to the Corona Virus epidemic. They were due to debut in Fiji on March 13.

They might simply need to play away from home the first season, in which case the obvious alternative home-base must be the Bay of Plenty province which is supporting them. Rotorua and Tauranga are within a 3-hour drive of Auckland international airport.

If a replacement is called for, Tonga would seem a likely candidate, given Fiji and Samoa will both be involved. I imagine they will be intending to join the comp as an expansion franchise in the future anyway.

Certainly it does not seem an insurmountable obstacle, though it would be disappointing if mainland China were not involved directly this year after all. Their inclusion in the new league was nothing to sneeze at.

Global Rapid Rugby organisers are hoping the newly-announced China-based team can be retained for the inaugural season despite the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Last week, Andrew Forrest’s new rugby union competition announced that the Shanghai-based China Lions would be the sixth and final team for the 2020 debut of the $1 million GRR.

But one day later, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that people who have visited or transited through mainland China would be banned from visiting Australia.

Other countries are following suit with their own travel bans as the world attempts to contain the coronavirus.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-coro ... pid-rugby/

Rotorua and Tauranga do you get flights from Auckland the shortest one is 45 minutes in the longest one is an hour

Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 08:06

I just received an email from China lions
MEDIA STATEMENT | 'All Systems Go' For Global Rapid Rugby
Global Rapid Rugby today announced a March 14 Opening Round spectacular in Perth, Australia, amongst an amended schedule for the Asia Pacific competition’s inaugural home-and-away season.

“We are ready and can’t wait to launch our competition,” Global Rapid Rugby CEO, Mark Evans, said.

“The situation in China and its effects elsewhere have meant the schedule has been amended a little but, I’m proud to say, there is not one hurdle we have not been able to overcome. The health and welfare of the players, the coaches and our fans has been our number one concern and we have followed the advice of all relevant authorities, including the World Health Organisation, every step of the way.”

The major alteration to the schedule surrounds home games for the China Lions, a team jointly supported by the China Rugby Football Association and New Zealand domestic powerhouse Bay of Plenty that was drawn to play three home games in Shanghai and two in Rotorua. Restrictions on sporting teams entering China means that games can no longer be played in Shanghai. The Lions will now play three home games in New Zealand and Rapid Rugby is working closely with Rugby Australia to provide a venue for two games in Australia.

The inaugural Global Rapid Rugby home-and-away season will begin on March 14 with Fijian Latui hosting the China Lions under lights in Suva, followed by a Double Header at HBF Park in Perth. Manuma Samoa will play Hong Kong’s South China Tigers, followed by the home town Western Force against Malaysia Valke, in a double dose of the action and entertainment that Rapid Rugby has to offer.

“It’s exciting to think that within six hours, six teams representing the rich tradition of Australia and New Zealand, the exciting potential of Asia, and the raw talent of the Pacific Islands will be on show and growing the game of rugby,” Evans said.

“It is all systems go for Global Rapid Rugby in 2020.”

END

China Lions Global Rapid Rugby 2020 Schedule:

Pre-season: vs Manuma Samoa, Saturday 7 March, Blake Park, Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Round One: vs Fijian Latui, Saturday 14 March, ANZ Stadium, Fiji
Round Two: vs Malaysia Valke. Saturday 21 March, Stadium Tudm, Malaysia
Round Three: vs South China Tigers, Sunday 29 March, Owen Delany Park, Taupo, New Zealand
Round Four: vs Manuma Samoa, Saturday 11 April, Apia Park, Samoa
Round Five: vs Western Force, Sunday 19 April, location TBC
Round Six: vs Malaysia Valke, Sunday 26 April, location TBC
Round Seven: vs Fijian Latui, Sunday 3 May, Rotorua International Stadium, New Zealand
Round Eight: vs South China Tigers, Saturday 9 May, Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground, Hong Kong
Round Nine: vs Manuma Samoa, Sunday 17 May, Rotorua International Stadium, New Zealand
Round Ten: vs Western Force, Sunday 24 May, HBF Park, Perth, Australia
Final: Saturday 6 June, HBF Park, Perth, Australia
https://mcusercontent.com/b5ae02a2affff ... d9bcb5.jpg

Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 09:48

Nice schedule. It's probably not a bad thing to have a season in New Zealand before moving to China next year. If China doesn't work out the team can always come back to Bay of Plenty.

Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 15:25

Yes, that was my guess, 2 home games in Rotorua and a warm-up in Tauranga (Mt Maunganui). So there really won't be anything Chinese about them this year, as the players are apparently all Kiwis too. Quite apart from the fact we want to see the game grow in the world's most populous nation. Two of the home games are listed with a venue TBC, but both the following report and the full schedule state these will be played in Australia.

No games will be played in China during the first season of Andrew Forrest's Global Rapid Rugby due to the coronavirus.

Last month, the China Lions were announced as the sixth and final team for the inaugural season of the $1 million competition.

But the outbreak of the coronavirus meant organisers have been forced to find an alternative home ground for the Lions this year.

The Lions - a team jointly supported by the China Rugby Football Association and New Zealand domestic outfit Bay of Plenty - will now play three home games in NZ and two in Australia.

They were originally scheduled to play three games in Shanghai and two in Rotorua.

"The health and welfare of the players, the coaches and our fans has been our number one concern and we have followed the advice of all relevant authorities, including the World Health Organisation, every step of the way," Global Rapid Rugby chief executive Mark Evans said.

The inaugural season will begin on March 14 with Fijian Latui hosting the China Lions under lights in Suva.

That will be followed by a double header at Perth's HBF Park, where Manuma Samoa will play Hong Kong's South China Tigers, before the Western Force take on the Malaysia Valke.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/global-rapi ... --spt.html

Full schedule:

Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 17:40

I really hope that next year, with China Lions playing in China, there will be games played in New Zealand, and ideally a New Zealand based team.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 09:38

I don´t see the point of adding a 100% New Zealand based franchise.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 10:15

Raven wrote:I don´t see the point of adding a 100% New Zealand based franchise.

Very unlikely it'll ever happen. Would require the NZRU blessing the breakaway of one of the SR catchments and likely boosting their funding to assist. Which when you consider they are actually looking at making the Mitre 10 Cup fully amateur to save money. It's the longest of long shots. A Western Sydney team backed by another billionaire is more likely. And no. I haven't heard anything about that happening. Just noting that a billionaire who publicly stated he is a Rugby fan recently helped get a Soccer franchise up and running in my local area. So doing the same with a team in GRR wouldn't be beyond the relams of possibility.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 11:31

Working Class Rugger wrote:

Very unlikely it'll ever happen. Would require the NZRU blessing the breakaway of one of the SR catchments and likely boosting their funding to assist. Which when you consider they are actually looking at making the Mitre 10 Cup fully amateur to save money. It's the longest of long shots. A Western Sydney team backed by another billionaire is more likely. And no. I haven't heard anything about that happening. Just noting that a billionaire who publicly stated he is a Rugby fan recently helped get a Soccer franchise up and running in my local area. So doing the same with a team in GRR wouldn't be beyond the relams of possibility.

Exactly.

GRR is a developing league for developing markets. It´s a great idea, and if there was a chance of another franchise being added I would assume a Russian and or a Korean one would be the next step. The Sunwolves even if they need a place to fall at if the Japanese new League isn´t happening yet.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 11:38

If NPC and NRC turn amateur to save money, as RA and NZR re im need, GRR could be the place for provincial teams that want to keep a professional team.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 13:36

Raven wrote:

Exactly.

GRR is a developing league for developing markets. It´s a great idea, and if there was a chance of another franchise being added I would assume a Russian and or a Korean one would be the next step. The Sunwolves even if they need a place to fall at if the Japanese new League isn´t happening yet.

GRR is a total mishmash. It's purpose is not clear. Samoa, Fiji and Perth are not developing markets. They are just teams excluded from Super Rugby.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 23:18

Just to give a New Zealand perspective on this and New Zealand 100% New Zealand team won’t work on global rapid rugbyNew Zealand very hierarchical when it comes to competitions they won’t watch anything it’s perceived to be a Lower division this is my mitre 10 cup of struggling to attract attention As the chairman of Bay of Plenty he said the reason they’ve gone with the China Lions concept he perceives that New Zealand rugby are saturated with too much rugby He see your chance of grabbing a new audience in China. if mitre 10 goes amateur it’s dead in the water you will have a more players going to Japan to play rugby in the new Japanese competition and probably Europe.And I am a supporter of global rapid rugby. rugby in the world needs more competitions on every continent.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 23:31

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Raven wrote:

Exactly.

GRR is a total mishmash. It's purpose is not clear. Samoa, Fiji and Perth are not developing markets. They are just teams excluded from Super Rugby.

It kind of is. To develop a competiton that encompasses the Asia-Pacific region(s). Which all three of those teams fit in to. And there is still plenty of development that could be done in terms of professional pathways in all three to be completely honest. Even for the Force. But they also represent something that the competition needs. A relative base. A new structure such as GRR needs a core base of teams in order to build off. Those are the three you've mentioned in terms of being able to produce competitive sides and even the Tigers to a point. This then allows the competition the opportunity to take risks in terms of new teams like the Falcons (I'm not using Valke for Malaysia. It's silly to use the Afrikaans name in this instance) and even the Lions in this years edition (being largely greenfields markets) and others like potentially Hyundau Glovis and yes, even the Russians in the future.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 23:36

The news coming out about the Mitre 10 cup is hardly surprising to me.

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 23:36

Thesjhughes wrote:Just to give a New Zealand perspective on this and New Zealand 100% New Zealand team won’t work on global rapid rugbyNew Zealand very hierarchical when it comes to competitions they won’t watch anything it’s perceived to be a Lower division this is my mitre 10 cup of struggling to attract attention As the chairman of Bay of Plenty he said the reason they’ve gone with the China Lions concept he perceives that New Zealand rugby are saturated with too much rugby He see your chance of grabbing a new audience in China. if mitre 10 goes amateur it’s dead in the water you will have a more players going to Japan to play rugby in the new Japanese competition and probably Europe.And I am a supporter of global rapid rugby. rugby in the world needs more competitions on every continent.

The Mitre 10 Cup going amateur would actually be music to GRR and MLR and even potentially SLAR's ears. Plenty of opportunity to now go in to NZ and offer players $20k USD for a season of work alongside accommodation etc. That's a pretty good proposition for many of the teams in these organisations. Solid talent to fill out their rosters and the players would make roughly $32k NZD. Domestically, assuming BoP has solid financial bcking that's also gives the Lions a direct pipeline to NZ talent.

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 01:12

Listening to some Kiwis about it recently, the mood across the Tasman from what I can gather is there's been so much emphasis placed on the All Blacks that there's been a neglect on things at a grass roots level. The traditional clubs in the Mitre10 Cup been more or less forgotten about in favour of a top down approach. People might be All Blacks fans, but they are not fans of their local clubs. Sounds awfully familiar on this side of the ditch....

What's clear as day is the top down approach that both Australia and New Zealand have been using is becoming economically unmanageable. It's time serious thought be given to privatising the professional teams and moving them to GGR.

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 02:57

thatrugbyguy wrote:Listening to some Kiwis about it recently, the mood across the Tasman from what I can gather is there's been so much emphasis placed on the All Blacks that there's been a neglect on things at a grass roots level. The traditional clubs in the Mitre10 Cup been more or less forgotten about in favour of a top down approach. People might be All Blacks fans, but they are not fans of their local clubs. Sounds awfully familiar on this side of the ditch....

What's clear as day is the top down approach that both Australia and New Zealand have been using is becoming economically unmanageable. It's time serious thought be given to privatising the professional teams and moving them to GGR.

Hmm...I also think there's been a little too much generosity in regards to budgets around Mitre 10 Cup squads. Ranging from the slary cap right down to the actual numbers that are part of the structure. In a country the size of NZ in terms of population running 14 semi-professional squads is expensive and often at the neglect of the systems that feed them. They have been better off cutting it to 8 teams with the rest falling back into the Heartland Cup (they could still retain promotion/relegation) and use the savings to balance the budget and distribute to clubs.

Regarding moving them across to GRR. It will be interesting to see what transpires if the recent reports of CVC looking to buy into the SANZAAR structures turn out to be true. We could see a significant shift in how Super Rugby is operated. From one that is viewed as an extended trial system for the respective Test squads to an actual commercial vehicle for the game. I think we'll see some really interesting changes across the board in regards to how seasons are scheduled in order to introduce new structures.

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 05:37

Bar Sport tv are showing a trial match for the Western Force playing at Newcastle and Hunter regional side he was a link https://youtu.be/Qq3Ex2VU24A

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 09:22

Western Sydney Rams and Sunwolves would be good additions. Hopefully when corona outbreak is controlled, this will give 8 teams split East and west with a 10 round event would be a great next expansion

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 09:48

Higgik wrote:

Western Sydney Rams and Sunwolves would be good additions. Hopefully when corona outbreak is controlled, this will give 8 teams split East and west with a 10 round event would be a great next expansion

An East conference, a West conference and a north conference would be a good format.
North: Sunwolves, China Lions, HK Tigers
West: Western Force, Falcons, Asia Pacific Dragons
East: Fijian Latui, Samoa, West Sydney Rams

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 10:03

I do not understand why you are not considering Russia. Russian Asian clubs are the first in line to expand the GRR. Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar are professional clubs, with permanent rosters and fans. Unlike virtual projects, which are written by Australian fans.
By the way, yesterday Artemyev and the head of Rugby Asia signed a memorandum of cooperation.
https://rugby.ru/news/federatsiya-regbi ... ponimanii/

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 10:23

STMKY wrote:I do not understand why you are not considering Russia. Russian Asian clubs are the first in line to expand the GRR. Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar are professional clubs, with permanent rosters and fans. Unlike virtual projects, which are written by Australian fans.
By the way, yesterday Artemyev and the head of Rugby Asia signed a memorandum of cooperation.

What about Metallurg? Is that a professional team?
There could be a Siberian conference.

East: Fiji, Samoa, Sydney
West: Perth, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore
North East: Sunwolves, HK, Shanghai
Siberia: Metallurg, Enisei-STM, Krasny Yar
13 rounds regular season.

Sat, 29 Feb 2020, 11:03

STMKY wrote:I do not understand why you are not considering Russia. Russian Asian clubs are the first in line to expand the GRR. Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar are professional clubs, with permanent rosters and fans. Unlike virtual projects, which are written by Australian fans.

I think if we actually heard something from the clubs regarding wanting to enter people might start taking more notice. The difference with the speculation for the likes of Western Sydney is there has been groups interested in actually establishing a team. In fact, it's the same group that hold the licences for both Los Angeles and Austin in Major League Rugby. While there's been reports that Hyundai Glovis want to go pro and are eyeing GRR. I think it would be interesting to see two Russian squads involved. With GRR split into either North/South or East/West conferences.
Post a reply