Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Georgia v Italy -the long awaited showdown! (TBC)

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Georgia v Italy -the long awaited showdown! (TBC)

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 08:27

I don't see this posted yet?

World Rugby approve Georgia-Italy showdown as Rugby Championship winners eye Six Nations acceptance

Georgia will face Italy next year during the 2018 autumn internationals
The fixture was agreed at a World Rugby meeting in Los Angeles
Georgia are ranked above Italy but had requests to join the Six Nations rejected
Six Nations CEO John Feehan says 'integrety of the competition' is important

Georgia will be given the chance to make a Six Nations statement next year in a showcase Test against Italy.
The fixture was approved at a World Rugby meeting in Los Angeles and will take place during the 2018 autumn internationals.
Six Nations CEO John Feehan has consistently rejected calls for Georgia to be invited into the tournament – despite attracting crowds of 60,000 in Tbilisi and being ranked above Italy.

Georgian officials even had proposals for an inconsequential 'show match' between the Six Nations losers and Rugby Championship winners turned down earlier this year.
Feehan said at the time: 'We've got to look at it from the integrity of our competition and what's good for us and not necessarily what's good for Georgia.
'My role is to make sure that the six unions which are involved in the Six Nations maintain the credibility of the tournament.
'A game like that could involve all sorts of speculation that wouldn't necessarily be helpful.'
But now World Rugby have granted the fixture outside of the Six Nations remit and, while it will have no direct impact on the Six Nations fat cats, it is an opportunity for Georgia's case to gain momentum.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... z4svGstFSM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Last edited by Ser Podrick of Payne on Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Georgia v Italy -the long awaited showdown!

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 08:52

Hallelujah!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 09:07

Is this info official? or just another rumor?

If its true and Italy will arrive in Tbilisi, we will see match of the decade and "full house" Dinamo arena. will be huge match and Georgian rugby fans nerves will be on its limit for 12 month.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 09:20

If it's official then it's a leak because there is nothing on any of the Worldrugby outlets even about any meeting. Can't find any other source with this story.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Georgia v Italy -the long awaited showdown! (TBC)

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 09:26

It is a fair solution but i doubt that it exist in reality ...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 09:29

All the google mentions of a World Rugby meeting in Los Angeles come from this article...
I fear it's just one other simple rumor

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 04:24

There was a then IRB meeting in 2011 in Los Angeles but I somehow doubt they decided a game that would happen in 2018. As others have said I've failed to find anything more recent than that.

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby ... needed-tew

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 06:31

If it's just a fancy by the journalist I wonder why he had to invent that Los Angeles meeting. I mean: to present an hypothesis like it was a fact is common and somehow forgettable for a journalist, but to invent a particular like the (probably) never happened Los Angeles meeting would be just to lie. Opening the Daily Mail on line I see that it seems not the most serious newspaper in the world, but I'd expect they invented news about a liaison between Kim Kardashian and Gwyneth Paltrow, not about a rugby match between Italy and Georgia

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 07:29

Well the Daily Mail is nicknamed the DAILY FAIL for good reason!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 11:29

Georgian fans are arguing that this match may happen in 2018 november in Italy of course, not in Georgia.

Anyways hope i will see this clash.
Nigel owens as referee!!!!!!!!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 13:16

C'mon guys ...Daily Mail? Really?! This paper even in toilet is not reliable.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 07:04

I am absolutely sure this game (if it is happens) will take place in Italy. The Italians would refuse to play otherwise.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 07:14

Both teams lost their leaders. Parisse and Gorgodze. But this match will be great to hold in Tbilisi.

Italy will gain respect for not refusing and match will be 50-50. I can imagine what will happen in Tbilisi during the match day, whole streets closed on the eastern bank, 60K spectators, sport bars filled up, and great atmosphere.

Italy will become first T1 country to visit Georgia. Real historical match. But playing in Italy would be also great.

Postby 4N » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 16:13

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 20:29

Awesome news for Georgia. It's been long time coming

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 23:19

This is particularly nice if true because it is outwith the confirmed Tier1 tests Romania and Georgia were to get in June, from June 2018 onwards.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 00:47

Bruce_ma_goose wrote: ...the confirmed Tier1 tests Romania and Georgia were to get in June, from June 2018 onwards.

Wasn't it from June 2020 onwards after the RWC?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 11:35

I could easily be wrong. I can't find the thread, but I thought it was the "global season" from 2020 and these home Tier1 fixtures for the top 2 REC sides from June 2018.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 11:05

This is great. At the RWC 15 Italy was very, very lucky to win against Canada and lucky to win against Romania. Both T2 Nations nearly won against them and showed that they are closer to Italy than Italy is to the 6N. Maybe the Italians sense that next year is the last chance to play a Georgian Team that is still weak in some areas, because judging from the last two U20 WC, Georgia will become better and better every year, especially with young talented players in the backs. A back line with Aprasidze/Lobzhanidze, Abzhandadze, Sharikadze, Mchedlidze can be a real force. If we manage to add a bit of depth and a solid back three everything could be possible against teams like Italy, Japan, Fiji or maybe even 6N teams in weak form. I can't wait for the game against Italy, will be yuge.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 14:10

It might be a bad time to play italy. There has been a big improvement in the Italian pro14 teams this season and there seems to be talent coming through.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 15:24

There is never a bad time for a mouthwatering Georgia vs Italy clash, but yes, it could be much trickier than Georgians might think.

I think Italy might even get another Southern Hemisphere scalp in November after coming close against Australia in June. The Italian club sides have finally got proper conditioning and, as stated above, some promising young players too.

As an Italy supporter this will be the game of the year for me if it happens.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 16:10

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:There is never a bad time for a mouthwatering Georgia vs Italy clash, but yes, it could be much trickier than Georgians might think.

I think Italy might even get another Southern Hemisphere scalp in November after coming close against Australia in June. The Italian club sides have finally got proper conditioning and, as stated above, some promising young players too.

I agree. It is never too late to play Italy. I would consider them favorites because they are a home team, but Georgia won`t be a pushover either. It is still year away from now and we `ll get a chance to see how both teams progress for the clash.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Thu, 28 Sep 2017, 22:05

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:There is never a bad time for a mouthwatering Georgia vs Italy clash, but yes, it could be much trickier than Georgians might think.

Georgians aren't all overly optimist kind you see on the forums.. that's just the most enthusiastic ones. I for one think we're huge underdogs. If we played while we still had our stars at their peak it would be another story but now that some retired and others have one leg in retirement while the youngsters aren't yet established, a dip in the quality is quite expected.

It's unfortunate that we couldn't play them before Godzilla and Zirakashvili retired.

That's not to say we are without a chance, but we will have to have everyone in top form.

Lets Just hope Nemsadze and Lomidze actually get to play in Bristol and London Irish.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 29 Sep 2017, 06:15

It is a great opportunity but at the end of the day it is just another game, it shouldn't be seen like the only chance of Georgian rugby. Italians show some good form this summer especially against Australia, i am the only one who thinks they play better without Parisse?Great player but too individualistic for my taste.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Fri, 29 Sep 2017, 07:09

Bogdan_DC wrote:It is a great opportunity but at the end of the day it is just another game, it shouldn't be seen like the only chance of Georgian rugby. Italians show some good form this summer especially against Australia, i am the only one who thinks they play better without Parisse?Great player but too individualistic for my taste.

I think he's definitely got so used to carrying the team that he tends to go off on his own and trying silly stuff when it's not "on" as a certain Welsh pundit would say. I remember him going for a drop goal himself and inevitably missing (he's a #8 for chrissake!) when he could have passed it to Canna to make the attempt (who as a #10 should have been able to give it a much better shot).

Next

Return to Rugby Forum