Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby League World Cup 2017

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 21:25

I don't know. I don't understand what the ultimate benefit is to the game in the US even if it is successful. You've still got almost no infrastructure in place or decent junior development to capitalise on it. What's the ultimate goal here? NY is going to have a MLR team come 2019 also, so that further complicates things.

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 21:27

Beyond trying to get that coveted spot as the offseason alternative for NFL fans? Convert athletes and build up a US test side, new market for Kangaroos, Kiwis, Islands etc.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 22:07

It doesn't appear this has anything to do with furthering the development of League in the US or to make the test side competitive, which at best would be a 10 year project. The guy was at Catalans for 12 years and they've done absolutely nothing to help with developing France. Not to mention they are aiming far too big, at least the Wolfpack are playing in a small stadium to begin with, Red Bull Arena is going to cost them an arm and a leg to rent. But it's their money I guess.

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 22:20

I don't know if it's realistically a 10 year project depending on how much of NYC Super League/pro league/RLWC materializes (possibly none of it, though it sounds like the NYC bid is close to a go).

NYC area is very tricky on venues. Red Bull is not the closest and has twice the capacity of Wolfpack's ground in Toronto. The fan experience at Wolfpack seemed to be a big part of their appeal. Got to get that part right.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 28 Nov 2017, 06:41

4N wrote:I'm pretty sure this bid has considerable cash behind it. Time will tell. I think the eventual intent is to break off larger markets into one division and 'heartland' teams into another. But obviously this depends on things like the Wolfpack and NYC making it at the highest level. And it sounds like there's a rival group trying to get off the ground in the US. Interesting times. I have been following RU and to a lesser extent RL for about 20 years now, I feel RL is in as strong a position to expand as I have ever seen it.

But its piecemeal expansion. Dots on a map instead of anything real.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Tue, 28 Nov 2017, 22:12

Expansion has to start somewhere, and it isn't always at the grassroots level. The Toronto Wolfpack venture has already achieved more than any other rugby expansion effort in North America ever. The NYC project can succeed if the money is truly behind it. Rugby-loving Americans care little for the Union v League debate and are quite capable of enjoying both codes.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 16:07

Agree, people get very obsessed by the idea of starting at the domestic level rather than either grass roots or national team but it can work just as well. Arguably better as a pro team can run grass roots campaigns but grass roots people are a lot worse at running pro teams.

Wolfpack should be providing tons of lessons for people interested in starting an American Rugby League (whether league or union), to me they seem to have good branding (city name, unique nickname) and very good media management and presence. They play in proper stadium but not one they are swamped in. They aren't anally focused on the nationality of the players.

Postby 4N » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 16:14

Wolfpack had to release Rhys Jacks because he was a Canadian international iirc. They are the trying to work with the RFL to increase the number of Canadian signings allowed under RFL rules I think.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 22:10

sk 88 wrote:Agree, people get very obsessed by the idea of starting at the domestic level rather than either grass roots or national team but it can work just as well. Arguably better as a pro team can run grass roots campaigns but grass roots people are a lot worse at running pro teams.

Wolfpack should be providing tons of lessons for people interested in starting an American Rugby League (whether league or union), to me they seem to have good branding (city name, unique nickname) and very good media management and presence. They play in proper stadium but not one they are swamped in. They aren't anally focused on the nationality of the players.

Isn't there already a Canadian provincial Rugby Union team with the nickname "wolfpacK"? The Prairie Wolfpack?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 30 Nov 2017, 00:31

Immenso wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Agree, people get very obsessed by the idea of starting at the domestic level rather than either grass roots or national team but it can work just as well. Arguably better as a pro team can run grass roots campaigns but grass roots people are a lot worse at running pro teams.

Isn't there already a Canadian provincial Rugby Union team with the nickname "wolfpacK"? The Prairie Wolfpack?

Yes.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 30 Nov 2017, 10:59

Immenso wrote:

Fair point but when you google Wolfpck rugby, what do you get? I only get links to Toronto.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 30 Nov 2017, 11:03

sk 88 wrote:
Fair point but when you google Wolfpck rugby, what do you get? I only get links to Toronto.

1st and 2nd results Toronto
3rd and 4th Prairie

But yeah, it is not really a name anyone apart from some Insiders would know.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Thu, 30 Nov 2017, 14:24

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/nrl/ ... 9185d06f23

ADVANCED discussions have taken place for England and New Zealand to play a historic Test in Denver in the middle of the 2018 NRL season.
Plans are well under way for the two nations to meet in June when the NRL grinds to a halt for a stand-alone Origin game.
Both countries have been offered up to $500,000 for the match. It is understood England have all but agreed to it but New Zealand are reluctant because they face logistic issues.
The idea is the brainchild of Jason Moore, who is desperately trying to get exposure for rugby league in the US after landing the rights to host the 2025 World Cup in that country.
If the Kiwis don’t agree, expect them to play a Test against a Pacific nation on the same weekend.

Postby 4N » Thu, 30 Nov 2017, 14:40

If it goes ahead, I will be there.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 02:23

Don't know why the Kiwis are reluctant other than it's too late for them to organise the logistics. Can't imagine the Warriors being happy about it that's for sure.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 09:07

So, the final is about to begin. Suncorp Stadium is not even close to being sold out. :shock:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 11:11

Congrats to Australia. 6-0 winners. Bit of a boring match although last 10 mins were tense. Overall the tournament and the sport still has a hell of a lot to do, the crowds in NZ and PNG were good, but were terrible in Australia. Tournament crowd average was around 13,200 which is down about 3,000 from both 2013 and 2008. Probably would have been worse if not for strong crowds in PNG and NZ. It's not a good sign for the sport when it's number one market fails to embrace its big international showcase. To be honest though I'm not so sure a World Cup in the US is as terrible an idea as I once did, simply because outside of England there really isn't anywhere else the tournament can be played where people are going to turn up, so they may as well give it a shot even though there's little League infrastructure in place. They've basically got nothing to lose.

Postby 4N » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 14:52

England had their chances around 65 minutes and couldn't convert. If Widdop knew the tackle count reset, surely they would have scored a try. Congrats Aussies.

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 16:32

An immense final. The players had nothing left at the end. England did much better than anyone thought they would I think. James Roby, the English hooker made 56 tackles! In the end the 1, 7, 9 spine for Australia (Slater, Cronk, Smith) were the difference again. The English forwards are as good as anyone's, but their halves just don't have the cutting edge of Australia's. Sad to see a great tournament end, hopefully the sport can build on the success of this tournament with more internationals.

Postby 4N » Sat, 02 Dec 2017, 17:41

Boston, Philadelphia and Hamilton, Ontario mentioned as possible RFL club locations.

RL also looking at establishing an international 9s circuit.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... zw4xf.html

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 03 Dec 2017, 02:03

4N wrote:Boston, Philadelphia and Hamilton, Ontario mentioned as possible RFL club locations.

RL also looking at establishing an international 9s circuit.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... zw4xf.html

With all this apparent interest surely looking to refocus this potential investment into something more US based would serve the game better than competing in the SL. From this article and the mooted NY franchise to join the Wolfpack you have a reasonable spine of what could be a relatively professional Nth America league in its own right. You'd certainly have a better chance of getting a similar broadcast deal domestically to that of the MLR.

The 9s circuit been talked about for a few years now. Since the first Auckland 9s.

Postby 4N » Sun, 03 Dec 2017, 14:11

With all this apparent interest surely looking to refocus this potential investment into something more US based would serve the game better than competing in the SL. From this article and the mooted NY franchise to join the Wolfpack you have a reasonable spine of what could be a relatively professional Nth America league in its own right. You'd certainly have a better chance of getting a similar broadcast deal domestically to that of the MLR.

Joining an established competition has its benefits. Not least of all a decent fanbase already in the UK. Lots of Wolfpack's support on social media comes from UK fans. Helps to have that base before building your own. And the RFL's existing TV deal is better than what MLR has and probably will ever have.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 14:39

I do not know how you can talk about expansion after this tournament, nothing against league but this tournament failed on so many levels even the final wasn't sold out, the average attendance was 13,338 per match and i think that only five matches were sold out (the 3 of papua new guinea, tonga vs nz and tonga vs england).
I doubt they have made enough money to talk about expansion and btw the people of lebanon know that they participated in this tournament??

Postby 4N » Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 14:44

TV ratings were better than expected. Lebanon will play more fixtures after their good performances, expansion is on. :thumbup:

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Tue, 05 Dec 2017, 14:53

In beirut or western sydney??? Well, I just hope their NRL players play these games instead of state of origin or the four nations

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum