Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby League World Cup 2017

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Rugby League World Cup 2017

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Fri, 10 Nov 2017, 12:49

Whilst I agree League's eligibility rules are a joke, with account taken of stones and houses made of glass, not really sure we should be mocking 5/17 when there is still a strong chance "Spain" could be competing at our own World Cup...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 10 Nov 2017, 13:00

I don't have a problem with people playing for nations they weren't born in, or have ancestry to. My problem is the swapping nations at a moments notice and playing for someone else.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 02:47

Yeah, at least rugby union is one nation for life, and it even includes playing for the designated "B" side.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 05:58

Tonga beat the Kiwis! :lol: New Zealand completely shut up shop, lead 16-6, clearly had the better structure and backline, then just completely fell apart in the second half. Kiwis should have easily put 30-40 points on them. That might very well be the first genuine upset in the history of international rugby league.

Postby ihateblazers » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 06:01

RugbyLiebe wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ5bSG169Z4

So I watched Hybrid's Rugby promo video. Not impressed. The league part actually looks extremely boring, compared to the Union part where it seems something is finally happening. Might be the video cut though.

Also I fail to see, why on earth somebody would pay that sum just AFTER the real thing, a world cup.

I've always thought 13 a side rugby union could be the way to go. I think the field is just too congested to be honest with 15 players per side. Especially with modern structures and defence systems, even at social level.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 06:11

ihateblazers wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ5bSG169Z4

So I watched Hybrid's Rugby promo video. Not impressed. The league part actually looks extremely boring, compared to the Union part where it seems something is finally happening. Might be the video cut though.

Also I fail to see, why on earth somebody would pay that sum just AFTER the real thing, a world cup.

I've always thought 13 a side rugby union could be the way to go. I think the field is just too congested to be honest with 15 players per side. Especially with modern structures and defence systems, even at social level.

I actually think that 12 a side should be seriously trialled. Six forwards and 6 backs. I think it would open things up while maintaining the basic structures of the game.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 07:10

12-a-side Leagby

Proposed on 1 April 2005 |

PIX-less source >> http://ovaluri.comxa.com/2011/SIAF/2005.htm

* Defense stands 8 metres back

* If team enters 8m red-zone after 8 phases, gets another 4 phases

* 6-men scrum only after pile-up

* Tap after knock-on | forward pass

* Fetching at mini-ruck = tackle + ruck

* Unlimited line-out (numbers, lifting, receiver ...)

* Ball-back if kicker misses field while aiming for touch (NO 22 rule)

* Try = 3 pts, Goal = 1 pt

@

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 07:47

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:12-a-side Leagby

Proposed on 1 April 2005 |

PIX-less source >> http://ovaluri.comxa.com/2011/SIAF/2005.htm

* Defense stands 8 metres back

* If team enters 8m red-zone after 8 phases, gets another 4 phases

* 6-men scrum only after pile-up

* Tap after knock-on | forward pass

* Fetching at mini-ruck = tackle + ruck

* Unlimited line-out (numbers, lifting, receiver ...)

* Ball-back if kicker misses field while aiming for touch (NO 22 rule)

* Try = 3 pts, Goal = 1 pt

@

Nope. That would be awful. Sorry. Don't need to radically change the structure of the game. Removing three players would have enough of an effect in opening it up.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 08:27

THEN .. it was proposed on April Fools Day ... 12 years ago

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 08:32

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:THEN .. it was proposed on April Fools Day ... 12 years ago

Honestly, I didn't even look at the date.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 09:09

You are not alone, Sir

Even *Georgia RU* leading brains panicked :lol:

"What the fuss? Why would we merge with those crawling bastards?"

=PS= Under *crawl* they meant *play-the-ball*

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 09:13

Why is there a need to remove 2-3 players? There are plenty of tries already. In the last full season of the Premiership they scored an average of 5.6 tries / game. How many more do you need?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 10:15

iul wrote:Why is there a need to remove 2-3 players? There are plenty of tries already. In the last full season of the Premiership they scored an average of 5.6 tries / game. How many more do you need?

Just think it should be trialled. Among other things. As for number of tries. Seven. I think the goal should be 7 a game. For a guide, I suggest you try and get your hands on a NRC game from this season. Averaging 9 tries a game with just outstanding Rugby on display.
Last edited by Working Class Rugger on Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ihateblazers » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 10:31

iul wrote:Why is there a need to remove 2-3 players? There are plenty of tries already. In the last full season of the Premiership they scored an average of 5.6 tries / game. How many more do you need?

I think it would lead to a less attritional game due to the open spaces. Teams would adapt obviously in defence but I still think you would see a change in attacking formations which would be attractive to watch.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 10:42

Concerning eligibility rules,

I am half Italian, Half English and born and bred in Zimbabwe. I have connections with all three countries and to me putting on the national team jersey for either nation would be just as big an honour and joy. We live in a global society now and I am surely not the only one, I believe that if you have the right to represent a nation via ancestry or birth then there should not be any issues or time spent between. If you qualify for a nation by residence only then there should be measures.

Just my personal opinion as a multi national.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 16:21

Great to see Tonga beating New Zealand. Hopefully Rugby League can build on this result and schedule regular meaningful games for Tonga.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby The Do » Sat, 11 Nov 2017, 20:06

Sables4EVA wrote:Concerning eligibility rules,

I am half Italian, Half English and born and bred in Zimbabwe. I have connections with all three countries and to me putting on the national team jersey for either nation would be just as big an honour and joy. We live in a global society now and I am surely not the only one, I believe that if you have the right to represent a nation via ancestry or birth then there should not be any issues or time spent between. If you qualify for a nation by residence only then there should be measures.

I understand the whole debate about residency rule and being born in a country but I don’t and can’t agree with the ancestry rule. My son is the perfect example. On my side of the family it is all Australian. On wife’s side, both of her parents were born in England but moved to Australia as a 5 and 6 year old in 1960 and 1961 respectedly. My wife was born in Australia and sees herself as Australian, although she does have a British passport for travel reasons. My son Is 4 years old now. Say if he is ever good enough to be called up by England at age 23, it would have been 75 years since a direct descendant had live in England. But due to current ancestry rule he could play for England. That is ridiculous.

I like my international games between nations and not based on ethnicity

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 06:00

My mother was born in Italy, my father was born in the UK, not my grand parents. I was brought up with both cultures as strong influences in my life as well as the culture of my birth nation. I am as much a Zimbabwean as I am an Italian or an Englishman and I identify as such with all three nationalities equally. I have lived in each country for parts of my life. If I was good enough to be selected for either nation it would be a serious problem for me to choose which one to go for, though to be honest I love the underdog so my selection would go that way but the thought of one choice shutting me off from the other 2 permanently is distressing.

I have always thought the grandparents rule was ludicrous anyway, but if it was a parents only rule it may make sense.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 08:35

I think the problem with League is players switching national teams.
The eligibility rule with grand-parents makes sense. I think it is a nice thing to remember where you are from, where your roots are. On the other hand globalization might lead to this being quite random. I have one kid in my club with African and French parents and him being born in Asia and playing all his rugby up to date in Germany.
Random enough in 70 years his descendants will still be eligible for that Asian country their grand-father's family lived in for two years and he just happened to be born in
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 16:40

Grand parents is a joke. I fully agree with parents, as it's direct link. But grand-parents... Come on, that has no sense.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 22:28

Yes, the players switching teams, sometimes within the same season is the biggest problem, that and countries being represented which have almost non-existent domestic Rugby League structures such as Scotland and Italy.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby MikeN » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 22:51

actually no, your son is not a perfect example.
He is one example, perhaps even an extreme example. And if he doesn't feel English then he doesn't have to play for them.
You can find extreme examples for the other criteria as well.

The Do wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:Concerning eligibility rules,

I understand the whole debate about residency rule and being born in a country but I don’t and can’t agree with the ancestry rule. My son is the perfect example. On my side of the family it is all Australian. On wife’s side, both of her parents were born in England but moved to Australia as a 5 and 6 year old in 1960 and 1961 respectedly. My wife was born in Australia and sees herself as Australian, although she does have a British passport for travel reasons. My son Is 4 years old now. Say if he is ever good enough to be called up by England at age 23, it would have been 75 years since a direct descendant had live in England. But due to current ancestry rule he could play for England. That is ridiculous.

I like my international games between nations and not based on ethnicity

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 22:57

eal22 wrote:Yes, the players switching teams, sometimes within the same season is the biggest problem, that and countries being represented which have almost non-existent domestic Rugby League structures such as Scotland and Italy.

It's the chopping and changing that gets me. Yes, we have interesting qualification routes in Rugby but at least once you make the commitment. You're bound to it.

On the grandparents issue. Well, I agree in principle. You're probably too far removed by that point but I will use my heritage as an interesting case study. My mother is Irish. Born and raised. I am Australian. Again born and raised. However, according to Irish law because of my one Irish born parent. I too am an Irish citizen from birth. So, technically I am both in regards to legal classifications equally Irish as I am Australian. Following still.

Now another quirk of Irish law is that my nieces and soon to arrive nephew are born with the right with literally a signature from their parents to full Irish citizenship all because of my mother being Irish.

It's a crazy situation.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 23:01

Anyway, after watching the USA Hawks game against a sloppy PNG yesterday I am willing to put money on the 2025 RLWc not being hosted in the USA. The Hawks are just too far behind in regards to being capable of providing a competitive showing at home. Which is what would be necessary for it to gain any traction.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 12 Nov 2017, 23:36

There's a really bad quirk in this tournament format. Samoa won zero matches and qualified for the Quarter Finals, Ireland won 2 matches and didn't qualify. Anyway....

Yes, USA were again terrible, I can't imagine them or Canada being much better in 8 years time. It doesn't even look like the tournament is going to match the crowd numbers of 2013, even if they were to sell out every venue for the rest of the tournament they're going to barley equal the numbers of tickets sold 4 years ago.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum