Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2019 RWC Schedule

Posts: 470
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 20:31
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Figaro » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 12:11

As a Wales fan I am happy with our schedule. The four day break comes before Canada/Uruguay which is the last game, means we get to play our best team against Fiji and then rest a couple of players vs. the weakest team in the group. By that point we should know whether we need a bonus point or not as it will be our last match. Then there's a nice break for anyone who played both to rest up before the QF.

Fiji will fancy their chances against us but the only T2 I can really see progressing this time is Japan. It will be tough to beat Ireland or Scotland but this is really as good a group as they could have hoped for. Italy will be cursing their luck drawing both SA and NZ as the way their P14 teams are improving it might have looked like this could be the time they finally make the QFs.

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 12:18

Damn it, my idea only works if the tournament were to begin on a Wednesday. You need three extra days to accommodate the format. Would a Wednesday start to the tournament bother anyone? I know it’s not ideal.

Posts: 2793
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby victorsra » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 13:40

Each RWC round has 10 matches. If they split them more or less equaly beetween all the days like FIFA does they would solve it as each team would play once every 5 days and it also means the 5 rounds of the groups phase played in 4 weeks. I guess they dont do it because of TV pression to have T1s on weekends.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 710
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 20:56
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby fullbackace » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 20:35

YamahaKiwi wrote:Mmm, looking at the GEO draw, maybe GEO has enough depth to risk mixing up their lineup v AME 2 and keeping at least some of their very best players for v Fiji? I would've thought even a slightly weaker GEO team would be still too good for URU but no doubt it would mean a closer game and maybe even GEO might miss a valuable bonus point. What do GEO fans think? Worth the risk?

No way, URU/CAN game will be extremely hard. We could lose if we start resting people.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

User avatar
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 17:57

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/1 ... -schedule/

Ireland face the second and third ranked sides, with just 5 rest days between these matches.

Europe 1 has just 3 days between facing Japan and the Play-Off Winner, and 5 days between Scotland and Ireland.

The Play-Off Winner will have just 4 days between facing Scotland and Japan.

Africa 1 open against Italy and following 5 days rest they face South Africa.

The Repechage Winner will have 5 rest days between Italy and New Zealand. They have 5 more before facing South Africa. They will have just 4 days rest for the game versus the Repechage Winner.

Argentina have just 3 rest days between between England and USA.

USA have 5 days between facing England and France, and 3 between Argentina and Tonga.

Americas 2 are to face Fiji and Georgia with just 3 rest days in between. From there they have 5 rest days before facing Australia.

Georgia have 5 rest days between facing Wales and Americas 2, and just 3 rest days between Americas 2 and Fiji.

Fiji will have have 3 days rest between Australia and Americas 2.

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 23:50

It's all ugly. At least Africa 1 and Repechage Winner get 5 day breaks between SA and NZ. 3 Day break would have killed them. Who would be the favourites to qualify as the Repechage Winner? You would have to think Spain.

Posts: 1613
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 06 Nov 2017, 23:51

Uruguay or Canada...

Posts: 212
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby carbonero » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 01:47

Armchair Fan wrote:Uruguay or Canada...

Come on, man. Don’t know if you are a serial pessimist or just highly superstitious. Every time someone dares to say something nice about Spain you are there to bring them down a notch.

Own it. This is your chance. As Olivier said on the Spanish thread, you never had this kind of depth with roughly 30 professionals in France.

Europe 1 is a stretch because of the 6 point difference, but you should be favored at least against Uruguay. You beat them consistently with your first-choice squad. I'll give you that Canada’s backline could eventually be an issue. Still, they seem vulnerable at the moment.

Posts: 710
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 20:56
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby fullbackace » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 01:52

carbonero wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Uruguay or Canada...

Come on, man. Don’t know if you are a serial pessimist or just highly superstitious. Every time someone dares to say something nice about Spain you are there to bring them down a notch.

Own it. This is your chance. As Olivier said on the Spanish thread, you never had this kind of depth with roughly 30 professionals in France.

Europe 1 is a stretch because of the 6 point difference, but you should be favored at least against Uruguay. You beat them consistently with your first-choice squad. I'll give you that Canada’s backline could eventually be an issue. Still, they seem vulnerable at the moment.

Considering Canada and Uruguay seem to be below the level of Geo/Rom these days id say they have a shot. They can use ENC to build some kind of structure and go at Uru/Canada with full strength.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

Posts: 851
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Neptune » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 02:14

fullbackace wrote:
carbonero wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Uruguay or Canada...

Come on, man. Don’t know if you are a serial pessimist or just highly superstitious. Every time someone dares to say something nice about Spain you are there to bring them down a notch.

Own it. This is your chance. As Olivier said on the Spanish thread, you never had this kind of depth with roughly 30 professionals in France.

Europe 1 is a stretch because of the 6 point difference, but you should be favored at least against Uruguay. You beat them consistently with your first-choice squad. I'll give you that Canada’s backline could eventually be an issue. Still, they seem vulnerable at the moment.

Considering Canada and Uruguay seem to be below the level of Geo/Rom these days id say they have a shot. They can use ENC to build some kind of structure and go at Uru/Canada with full strength.


If the status quo remains, it's a high possibility that Uruguay could go through, but considering the new perspective, where we will have home and away games for the repechege, this could bring in a new twist to the story.

Posts: 3095
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 04:40

To be honest Samoa isn't in exactly a great place either right now, so I think Spain's got a pretty good shot at sneaking in either via Playoff or Repechage. I'm kinda hoping they push Samoa all the way in the Playoff.

Posts: 329
Joined: Wed, 18 Jun 2014, 08:34
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Natal » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 06:21

thatrugbyguy wrote:To be honest Samoa isn't in exactly a great place either right now, so I think Spain's got a pretty good shot at sneaking in either via Playoff or Repechage. I'm kinda hoping they push Samoa all the way in the Playoff.


And there's always the possibility that Spain could top Romania, with the latter going to the playoff against Samoa. Now that would be interesting.

It's all hinging on the first few weeks of the REC next year, when Spain visit Russia then host Romania. If they win both of these, they'll be well set to qualify at Europe 1.

Posts: 1409
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 07:48

Natal wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:To be honest Samoa isn't in exactly a great place either right now, so I think Spain's got a pretty good shot at sneaking in either via Playoff or Repechage. I'm kinda hoping they push Samoa all the way in the Playoff.


And there's always the possibility that Spain could top Romania, with the latter going to the playoff against Samoa. Now that would be interesting.

It's all hinging on the first few weeks of the REC next year, when Spain visit Russia then host Romania. If they win both of these, they'll be well set to qualify at Europe 1.


1 Romania 4 3 0 1 114 71 +43 3 15
2 Spain 4 3 0 1 81 34 +47 1 13
3 Russia 4 2 0 2 93 89 +4 1 9
4 Germany 4 2 0 2 115 151 –36 0 8
5 Belgium 4 0 0 4 64 122 –58 2 2

This is the qualification table. Everyone apart from Belgium still has a good shot and can qualify at least for the repechage without help from other nations.

Romania has off course the best shot AND 3 home games (Germany, Russia, Belgium). BUT the one anway game is in Spain.
Spain has two home games (Romania & Germany) and two away games (Russia & Belgium).
Some goes for Russia. with home games against (Spain&Belgium) and two away (Romania&Germany).
The favorable schedule of 2017 now backfires for Germany with just one qualification home game against Russia.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1613
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 09:11

carbonero wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Uruguay or Canada...

Come on, man. Don’t know if you are a serial pessimist or just highly superstitious. Every time someone dares to say something nice about Spain you are there to bring them down a notch.

Own it. This is your chance. As Olivier said on the Spanish thread, you never had this kind of depth with roughly 30 professionals in France.

Europe 1 is a stretch because of the 6 point difference, but you should be favored at least against Uruguay. You beat them consistently with your first-choice squad. I'll give you that Canada’s backline could eventually be an issue. Still, they seem vulnerable at the moment.

It's not pessimism nor superstition. I already explained that I believe the long way to RWC from a Europe 2 perspective (10 games in 10 months) favours teams with a big core of local players that can train for a long time like Uruguay does every time a RWC qualifying arrives than setups like the ones Spain and Germany have. Even Portugal could give these teams a scare in May if French clubs don't release players.

Posts: 1613
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 09:18

Natal wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:To be honest Samoa isn't in exactly a great place either right now, so I think Spain's got a pretty good shot at sneaking in either via Playoff or Repechage. I'm kinda hoping they push Samoa all the way in the Playoff.


And there's always the possibility that Spain could top Romania, with the latter going to the playoff against Samoa. Now that would be interesting.

It's all hinging on the first few weeks of the REC next year, when Spain visit Russia then host Romania. If they win both of these, they'll be well set to qualify at Europe 1.

Not really. To finish as Europe 1 regardless of what Romania does Spain would need 19 points out of 20. 18 if Romania is denied defensive bonus point. Or 17 if Romania is both denied that bonus point and beaten by more than 10 points. That means winning at least one game with a bonus point, yet last season we already saw how difficult It is to clinch attacking BP under French model.

Posts: 2793
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby victorsra » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 12:12

Guys, the matches against Georgia don't count.

It is:
1 - Romania - 15
2 - Spain - 13
3 - Russia - 9
4 - Germany - 8
5 - Belgium - 2
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 212
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby carbonero » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 19:38

Armchair Fan wrote:I already explained that I believe the long way to RWC from a Europe 2 perspective (10 games in 10 months) favours teams with a big core of local players that can train for a long time like Uruguay does every time a RWC qualifying arrives than setups like the ones Spain and Germany have. Even Portugal could give these teams a scare in May if French clubs don't release players.

Sorry, I don’t see it. That big core of local players is semi-professional at best. Give me professionals all the time. You should know this. How do DH players compare to those on Pro D2?

Your concerns about burnout are reasonable. That said, your squad goes 40 players deep. There is also margin to gamble a little bit. You don’t need your best XV to beat Portugal. You can also throw an eventual series with Samoa to focus on the Repechage.

Posts: 1613
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 21:52

But DH isn't a "core". In Liga Heineken you've got 12 teams spread in basically six different regions, there's no way these players can train regularly together. It's not like Uruguay or Portugal where almost all teams are around the capital city and they organise training sessions periodically. That's where I find the difference is made.

Posts: 212
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby carbonero » Tue, 07 Nov 2017, 22:18

Armchair Fan wrote:But DH isn't a "core". In Liga Heineken you've got 12 teams spread in basically six different regions, there's no way these players can train regularly together. It's not like Uruguay or Portugal where almost all teams are around the capital city and they organise training sessions periodically. That's where I find the difference is made.

Who said that your DH players were a “core”? I’m comparing Spanish players in Top 14, Pro D2 and Federale 1 against Uruguayan, Canadian or Portuguese semi-pros. Again: give me professionals all day long. Who cares if they train together regularly? The Pumas are together all year round and they are complete garbage.

User avatar
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017, 15:58

Romania has many more current and former players professional players than Uruguay.

Posts: 54
Joined: Sat, 19 Nov 2016, 12:12
National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Lobo » Wed, 08 Nov 2017, 17:56

carbonero wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:But DH isn't a "core". In Liga Heineken you've got 12 teams spread in basically six different regions, there's no way these players can train regularly together. It's not like Uruguay or Portugal where almost all teams are around the capital city and they organise training sessions periodically. That's where I find the difference is made.

Who said that your DH players were a “core”? I’m comparing Spanish players in Top 14, Pro D2 and Federale 1 against Uruguayan, Canadian or Portuguese semi-pros. Again: give me professionals all day long. Who cares if they train together regularly? The Pumas are together all year round and they are complete garbage.


Portuguese semi-pros? Who are they? Maybe a NZer playing here and having now the Portuguese nationality is a semi-pro. Can't think of no one else.

The Portuguese pros are in France (Top14, ProD2, Fédérale Élite) and generally aren't called for the national side.

Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby amz » Wed, 08 Nov 2017, 22:19

NaBUru38 wrote:Romania has many more current and former players professional players than Uruguay.

we actually have a full pro league with top salaries matching probably middle of Pro D2

Posts: 851
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Neptune » Thu, 09 Nov 2017, 03:15

victorsra wrote:Guys, the matches against Georgia don't count.

It is:
1 - Romania - 15
2 - Spain - 13
3 - Russia - 9
4 - Germany - 8
5 - Belgium - 2


It is obvious that the stiffest competition is in Europe, but we also have to look at the other possible repechage teams from other regions.
Oceania - Samoa
Europe - Spain/Germany/Russia/Romania
Africa - Kenya/Zimbabwe
Asia - HongKong/ Korea
Americas - Canada/Uruguay

User avatar
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Canalina » Mon, 13 Nov 2017, 11:06

Don't we already know the dates of all the remaining qualifying matches?
Just the double Uruguay v Canada and the REC matches?

Africa Cup 2018?
Asia Cup 2018?
Samoa v Tahiti?
Final repechage's pool?

I'd like World Rugby released these fixtures too
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

User avatar
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby Canalina » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 09:51

This match planner is nice, don't you know if it's available a western characters version? Can't find it

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN8Ol7LVQAA8KLz.jpg

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], WoodlandsRFC and 5 guests