Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 06:22

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2019 RWC Schedule

Postby amz » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 07:14

Live coverage:

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 07:37

Last edited by FLIDTA RISXVA on Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 08:11

It is not a good schedule for Georgia.
Look at Japan's schedule. At least 7 days between matches - Fantastic.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 08:30

Agree 3 days to recover for the clash between Geo and Fiji.
Worst scenario for lelos.

Fiji will be preparing for Georgia 8 days. Fully recovered and battle ready Fiji.

Will be huuuge match.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 08:38

Ugh, when will they move on from this shitty format

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 08:44

Four days between our most important games :( We cant rest anyone for the second game since it's a must win and We'll definitely need the best lineup agains Fiji....

This is one scenario we needed to avoid.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 09:09

Lelos's schedule looks like Oaks schedule from 2015.

I'm moderately content with presumable Oaks' schedule but playing in the opening match versus the host country is always a nice thing. Than probably Samoa in short time followed by Ireland where some key players may take a rest and a final hurrah vs Scotland.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 09:43

Great news that Japan will have a full weeks rest between matches. It's also the first time two non T1 rugby nations will open the tournament. I think it's 100% the right move in this situation, not to put down the Romanians who have been getting better in recent years, but it's important to the tournament as a whole that Japan have the best chance to win the opening match. Interesting to note, tables have been turned on Scotland for 2019, their last two games are (likely) Romania on the Wednesday and Japan 4 days later. Georgia are going to have to be at their best if they want to have any chance at the quarter finals. I firmly believe that second spot in pool D is up for grabs, so a bonus point loss against Wales wouldn't be a bad result. Yes, the format is still shit though.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 10:36

thatrugbyguy
Yes, the format is still shit though.

It's a legacy | leftover from 1999 when

1) each of 5N wanted to have its own pool of 4 teams = HENCE 5*4 = 20 TEAMS for finals

2) late V.Pugh and Co were afraid that USA (to less extent FIJ as well) will miss the boat a la "1995 SA"

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 12:02

I remember the first time I saw the 1999 format. I was in a news agency and stumble across a Rugby World Cup 99 magazine, can't recall if it was official or not, flipped through the pages to the match schedule and was like 'huh? How can there be 5 pools'. I had no idea until a year or two later why they changed the format. I will say that expansion really opened my eyes a bit more about the number of nations that actually played rugby. Before '99 I just assumed it was the UK, France, South Africa, NZ, Australia, Argentina, Pacific Islands, and a smattering of North American, Asian and European nations. 25-30 nations maximum I thought. I had no idea Uruguay and Namibia played the game. I was very excited to see them and Spain at the '99 tournament.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 13:00

The Georgian schedule really sucks.
The only easy solution will be to expand the RWC to 24 teams. 6 groups, round of last 16 with the best group 2nd and four lucky third advancing - just like FIFA WC 1990.
Same number of games for the best 16 teams, same number for the top 8 teams, just 4 games more overall (52 instead of 48).
No losers, only winners. Problem solved.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 13:36

GRU will have to hire a world class physical conditioning coach like they did in 2015 (Georgia was one of the better prepared teams in this regard). With this schedule, it will play crucial role. Depth will also play a huger role. In 2015, Georgia had amazing depth at almost every position. Same needs to happen in 2019.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 13:46

I'm starting to wonder whether Pool D is going to be a lot more open than I initially thought. Given the way the Wallabies are going right now, how inconsistent they are, losing to Wales is completely possible, and Wales losing to Fiji is more than possible. Best case scenario for Georgia - Wales, Fiji and Georgia all lose to Australia, Wales beat Georgia, Georgia beats Fiji, Fiji beats Wales, all 3 beat Canada, then it comes down to bonus points and for and against for the second quarter final place. A couple of losing bonus points could be all the difference.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 16:27

Very new thing is Scotland, Wales, Italy and France will play two matches in 5 days. They will definitely be target for Tier 2 nations.

Japan obtain a revenge playing Scotland on 13 October four days after Scotland play Spain or Romania. It's a really dangerous span for Scotland. We will have to be very careful of Scotland vs Spain/Romania referee.
Less dangerous for Wales who will play Fiji on 9 October and Uruguay/Canada on 13 October.
France's schedule is very dangerous. a full rested USA on 2 October and a full rested Tonga on 6 October. France can't deal with this with their current players. Both USA and Tonga must target France.
Italy was lucky to have an easy draw, but they will have to play Namibia in both teams' inaugural game and Romania/Samoa/Spain four days later who will also play their first game of the tournament.

World Rugby definitely wants Tier 1 scalps.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 16:46

olivier wrote:Very new thing is Scotland, Wales, Italy and France will play two matches in 5 days. They will definitely be target for Tier 2 nations.

Japan obtain a revenge playing Scotland on 13 October four days after Scotland play Spain or Romania. It's a really dangerous span for Scotland. We will have to be very careful of Scotland vs Spain/Romania referee.
Less dangerous for Wales who will play Fiji on 9 October and Uruguay/Canada on 13 October.
France's schedule is very dangerous. a full rested USA on 2 October and a full rested Tonga on 6 October. France can't deal with this with their current players. Both USA and Tonga must target France.
Italy was lucky to have an easy draw, but they will have to play Namibia in both teams' inaugural game and Romania/Samoa/Spain four days later who will also play their first game of the tournament.

What's new about that? Scotland had the same turnaround from Japan to USA in 2015.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 02 Nov 2017, 18:29

Coloradoan wrote:
olivier wrote:Very new thing is Scotland, Wales, Italy and France will play two matches in 5 days. They will definitely be target for Tier 2 nations.

What's new about that? Scotland had the same turnaround from Japan to USA in 2015.

Yes but Japan played 4 days before.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 09:45

Thought I'd share some thoughts about the draw.

Agree with tweets on Rich Freeman's twitter account about surprise of Oita Dome for QF. Would've thought at 58K capacity Shizuoka would've been the non Tokyo/Yokohama choice. Or if not them, then Toyota. Oita doesn't even have a shinkansen high speed rail connection (though it does have some domestic flight connections to the main cities) and is definitely one of the harder places to get to amongst the host cities (probably only worse place is Kamaishi) as well having lower capacity.

I'm pretty happy with the draw allround. I think overall it's the fairest so far. There are teams that do better than others. USA has probably got a pretty raw deal given they're also in the hardest pool and GEO not great.

Two developments in the pool games that I want to emphasise to all are - that this will be the least capital area (Tokyo-Yokohama) centric of RWCs till now (2011 was amplified by Christchurch earthquake) having only 8 of 40 pool games although like before it retains almost all the biggest games. Also it's the least weekend-centric so far, with the 2nd and 3rd weekends only having 5 games each and the 2nd weekend no Friday night "starter" game/s. The move away from being so heavily weekend orientated certainly helps make a more balanced draw easier.

Host cities - Well Tokyo and Yokohama were always going to get almost all the juiciest games so no surprise. Otherwise Oita is the big winner with Wales v Fiji, biggest game outside the blockbusters, and NZ and Aussie ones + 2 x QFs. Toyota and Shizuoka did ok getting a Japan game each, especially Shizuoka getting v Ire game, getting sub blockbuster games of NZ and RSA v Italy, and hosting other t1 teams for their lesser games, but I think Shizuoka in particular will be a bit disappointed not to get one of the non Japan blockbusters that went to Tokyo. I think they could've swapped RSA v Italy for one of ARG big games. And of course they didn't get a post pool game either, even as the 2nd biggest capacity stadium.

Others, at lower or medium capacity pretty much got what they would've expected. Sapporo got decent games, though may have hoped for three matches. Kumamoto also only got two but got one of the best non blockbuster games FRA v TON. Fukuoka will be happy to have at least two high profile t1 teams, FRA & IRE, coming given they have one of the smallest stadiums. Kamaishi will be happy to get an entertaining team like Fiji (though Fijians might not be so happy going up far north to the least acessible venue - hope it will still be warm enough in late Sept there for them), otherwise the repechage v Africa 1 game was always going there. It's nice that both Kamaishi and Kumamoto get one of their games when there's no others on that day. it will give them the limelight for that day.

Biggest losers are probably Kansai Region. In terms of the number of games no problems. They've got 8, about the same as Tokyo-Yokohama. But As the 2nd biggest (age grade biggest) rugby popular area of Japan they haven't got any blockbusters and to be honest many of their games are probably going to be in the not so competive t1 v t2/3 lowest ranked pool team games especially in Kobe. At least Kobe will get t1 teams for all their games but possibly SCO v playoff winner SAM if SAM qualifies and can put out a good performance (though there's increasing doubts about them on the horizon) would be the most competitive.

Osaka gets less T1 teams with ARG being really the only drawcard team (unless say TON or FJI has already livened up the event) visiting though arguably it has the more competitive fixtures compared to Kobe in ARG v TON (one of the most entertaining 2015 games), FJI v GEO, and TON v USA. Still, they are at a lower level than AUS v WAL and FRA v ARG.

Osaka in one way shot themselves in the foot. They went for an existing football code only stadium, which thankfully will be one of the ones that offers a closer look for fans, but at the same time, that killed off any hope of the city and region getting any top games in the event. And so it has proved. If the city had chosen 50k + capacity Nagai, even with its dastardly running track, it's likely Osaka and the Kansai region would've got a Japan game, at least one non Japan blockbuster, and two of the QF games. Afterall the same stadium did host one of the 2002 FIFA WC QF games.

Loss for the tournament: No Hiroshima that would've offered one more much needed large capacity stadium (yes it has a running track), and at the same time is one of the nicest cities in Japan. A big shame for the event and for the city...much like it was a big shame Manchester hardly graced the event, and Merseyside not at all in 2015, and Christchurch in 2011 (of course that was outside of anyone's control). I don't know why it didn't even register as it indicated interest earlier but some prefectural and city councils criticised the Japanese organisers for lack of transparency on plans and specific details, especially costs.

Viewing times. Europe, RSA, and even GEO is good with all breakfast time or in GEOs case some early afternoon games. ROM (if they make it as EUR1) is about lunchtime but all their games are on weekdays (also a first for RWC?) so maybe not so great for their fans? Funny because the reverse - events held in Europe are always bad for Japanese time zone fans with at best a few late night games , and worst, many games in the middle of the night. I speak from experience being in Japan for 99 and 07 RWCs and 98 and 06 FIFA WCs). So i don't want to see any bitching from Euro fans, cos compared to Japanese fans for Euro-based events you guys are much better off! Southwest Pacific nations fans will be happy too.

The biggest losers are the Americas, especially ARG, and if they qualify URU. Will be in the middle of the night for many games. Only later kickoffs ENG v USA, and FRA v USA will be east coast US brekky time (NBC broadcast games?), and a couple of other games will be 11pm ish late night west coast US starters.

Your thoughts?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 10:37

Nice breakdown. I also noticed the spread of weekend games isn't like it has been in the past, there's usually anywhere between 6-7 games every Saturday and Sunday. It makes me wonder if the schedule can be further tweaked to stop the 3-day breaks.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 10:48

there's a story, in the Guradian I think, post schedule announcement saying if WR has such a serious attitude to player welfare why don't they expand the event by one week and then there would be no 3-4 day turnarounds.

Personally I think the event is already long enough, and also the season busy enough that it makes that difficult which is why I have always from recent years and seeing the growing competitiveness of the RWC, and wanting to keep pushing the global growth of the sport, preferred to expand to 24 6x4 pool RWCs with the same length of event.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 10:56

The tournament is already 6 weeks long. Beside even if you do extend it a week you're still left with the problem of one team starting their games one week later and one team finishing their schedule of matches a week earlier.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 11:01

I just had an idea that I'm not sure has been considered before. So, the biggest problem with the 3-day turnarounds is the fact one team is usually rested up more than the other. So, is there any reason the next match in the pool can't be fought between two teams both with 3-day turnarounds? It's still gruelling, but at least both teams will still be on a level playing field.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 11:07

Mmm, looking at the GEO draw, maybe GEO has enough depth to risk mixing up their lineup v AME 2 and keeping at least some of their very best players for v Fiji? I would've thought even a slightly weaker GEO team would be still too good for URU but no doubt it would mean a closer game and maybe even GEO might miss a valuable bonus point. What do GEO fans think? Worth the risk?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 03 Nov 2017, 11:33

Holy crap! I think my idea works, not only that , but If my calculations are right I can increase the minimum break from 3 to 4 days.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum