National Flag:
GermanyGermany

18th November Germany vs USA

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 13:17

kickoff: CET 5pm
stadium: Brita Arena Wiesbaden
capacity: 12.566

first ever game between both teams

German tv: sport1 (so it should be easily available through the internet or a tv-app, as Sport1 is a free-to-air-channel)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Re: 18th November Germany vs USA

Postby myth » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 14:54

RugbyLiebe wrote:kickoff: CET 5pm
stadium: Brita Arena Wiesbaden
first ever game between both teams
German tv: sport1 (so it should be easily available through the internet or a tv-app, as Sport1 is a free-to-air-channel)

Any information about the starting line-ups?
Last weeks broadcast by sport1 (GER-BRA) was country blocked ...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby sanitycheck » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 18:19

Yup sport1 was Geo blocked as I tried to watch the Brazil game in the USA - a VPN worked though plus there were "other" options available aside from a VPN.
Formerly known as "Aus_in_Germany"

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 18:53

USA

1. Olive Kilifi (Seattle Saracens)
2. Joe Tautefe'e (Worcester Warriors)
3. Dino Waldren (London Scottish)
4. Greg Peterson (Glasgow Warriors)
5. Nick Civetta (Newcastle Falcons)
6. Ben Landry (Glendale Raptors)
7. Tony Lamborn (Hawke's Magpies)
8. Andrew Durutalo (Worcester Warriors)
9. Shaun Davies (Glendale Raptors)
10. AJ MacGinty (Sale Sharks)
11. Ryan Matyas (Old Blue New York)
12. Bryce Campbell (Glendale Raptors)
13. Marcel Brache (Perth Spirit)
14. Blaine Scully (Cardiff Blues - captain)
15. Mike Te'o (unattached)

16. Peter Malcolm (Austin Elite)
17. Huluholo Moungoloa (Life West)
18. Patrick Ryan (Newcastle Falcons)
19. Cam Dolan (Old Blue New York)
20. John Quill (Glendale Raptors)
21. Nate Augspurger (Old Blue New York)
22. Will Magie (Glendale Raptors)
23. JP Eloff (Chicago Lions)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 19:42

sanitycheck wrote:Yup sport1 was Geo blocked as I tried to watch the Brazil game in the USA - a VPN worked though plus there were "other" options available aside from a VPN.

Last week it was stream only. This week is the free to air channel. So you'll find it on every legal tv app
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby sanitycheck » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 20:16

RugbyLiebe wrote:
sanitycheck wrote:Yup sport1 was Geo blocked as I tried to watch the Brazil game in the USA - a VPN worked though plus there were "other" options available aside from a VPN.

Last week it was stream only. This week is the free to air channel. So you'll find it on every legal tv app

So that means it wont be geo blocked still ? However, doesnt affeect me, Ill be at the game in the Stadium ;)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 20:54

German squad:

1. Julius Nostadt

2. Dash Barber

3. Samy Füchsel

4. Michael Poppmeier

5. Eric Marks

6. Sebastian Ferreira

7. Jaco Otto

8. Ayron Schramm

9. Sean Armstrong

10. Christopher Hilsenbeck

11. Marcel Coetzee

12. Raynor Parkinson

13. Wynston Cameron-Dow

14. Mathieu Dacau

15. Hagen Schulte

Auf der Bank starten:

16. Jörn Schröder

17. Mika Tyumenev

18. Anthony Dickinson

19. Adam Preocanin

20. Marcel Henn

21. Pierre Mathurin

22. Steffen Liebig

23. Jamie Murphy

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 21:20

sanitycheck wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

So that means it wont be geo blocked still ? However, doesnt affeect me, Ill be at the game in the Stadium ;)

It means that you have way more sources to see it than simply a stream, which might be geoblocked. Some satellite options including.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 21:22

Apart from Damien Tussac this should be the strongest possible German squad. Really looking forward to the game, will be in the stadium as well.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 23:56

Rugby Liebe...where'd you find that?

I broke down the USA Squad with Tosan of Viral Rugby: no stone un-turned:

https://youtu.be/0JsIdD4DtgI

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 08:03

TheStroBro wrote:Rugby Liebe...where'd you find that?

What do you mean?
If you meant the squad, I actually didn't post it, but you can also find it here: http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9197/37/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 10:11

TheStroBro wrote:Rugby Liebe...where'd you find that?

I broke down the USA Squad with Tosan of Viral Rugby: no stone un-turned:

https://youtu.be/0JsIdD4DtgI

Liked the first 20 minutes, but I think it is a bit too long at 2 hours ;-) I think your co-host remembered the German Union nearly going bankrupt 3,4 years ago.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 12:04

So as someone else mentioned on Reddit, the US has a very high energy bench named. Not only Dolan, Quill and Malcolm but in the backs with Eloff and augspurger. Hopefully they are stepping on germany’s throat in the 2nd half.

I am glad I was not the only one eager to see more of Landry at 6. He is really a bulldozer on both sides of the ball and gets freed up to play that role. I also suspect he is more like 6’5 so was always going to be short a few inches from our other lock options.

Manoa not being named could be a few things. Simple theory could be just that he was late to arrive. Or to play devils advocate, he is probably not the dynamic player he once was so doesn’t fit at 8. Essentially competing at either 6 or lock. And may have just not been first choice. For a bench spot, Dolan brings a lot more pace for late in the test while Quill gives you a true flanker.

Overall excited to see what happens Saturday and more importantly how we prepare for georgia.

Unfortunately the one area of greatest concern is still prop. If we can’t even come close to surviving scrums it will be hard to win

National Flag:

Postby sanitycheck » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 14:06

Suiram wrote:So as someone else mentioned on Reddit, the US has a very high energy bench named. Not only Dolan, Quill and Malcolm but in the backs with Eloff and augspurger. Hopefully they are stepping on germany’s throat in the 2nd half.

I am glad I was not the only one eager to see more of Landry at 6. He is really a bulldozer on both sides of the ball and gets freed up to play that role. I also suspect he is more like 6’5 so was always going to be short a few inches from our other lock options.

Manoa not being named could be a few things. Simple theory could be just that he was late to arrive. Or to play devils advocate, he is probably not the dynamic player he once was so doesn’t fit at 8. Essentially competing at either 6 or lock. And may have just not been first choice. For a bench spot, Dolan brings a lot more pace for late in the test while Quill gives you a true flanker.

Overall excited to see what happens Saturday and more importantly how we prepare for georgia.

Unfortunately the one area of greatest concern is still prop. If we can’t even come close to surviving scrums it will be hard to win

exactly my assessment going into this .

Being familiar with both sides, I can tell you if the US cant contain Germany's set piece, it will be a tight game. If they can match it or out play the German fwds then the US backs have the edge over the Germans.

Interesting thing to note, is 3 playmakers (all 3 essentially 10s) have been named at 10 , 12 and 13 for Germany - wonder if this signals their attacking intent ?

Excited for the game tomorrow - this is one match up I have wanted to see for a few years now and finally we get to see it. Should be a great match.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 18:26

So...I now know why Tony Lamborn is available...that's some sheisty stuff. There was a post by Cam's father that Manoa's availability was limited by Toulon to the match against Georgia.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 18:49

sanitycheck wrote:
Suiram wrote:So as someone else mentioned on Reddit, the US has a very high energy bench named. Not only Dolan, Quill and Malcolm but in the backs with Eloff and augspurger. Hopefully they are stepping on germany’s throat in the 2nd half.

Being familiar with both sides, I can tell you if the US cant contain Germany's set piece, it will be a tight game. If they can match it or out play the German fwds then the US backs have the edge over the Germans.

Interesting thing to note, is 3 playmakers (all 3 essentially 10s) have been named at 10 , 12 and 13 for Germany - wonder if this signals their attacking intent ?

Excited for the game tomorrow - this is one match up I have wanted to see for a few years now and finally we get to see it. Should be a great match.

The German No. 15 has also played as a 10. I'd guess that they will try to play in the US half, every German back should be a good kicker, with field advantage they can use the lineout and maul.
It probably really depends what kind of game it will be tomorrow. Germany has in my opinion problems defending high speed encounters. But if they slow it down, kick well and use their rolling maul, they can score.
So the strengths and weaknesses of both teams might be opposites.

So the US team is the favourite, but it is November so a forward oriented game plan might work.

National Flag:

Postby sanitycheck » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 19:58

CM wrote:
sanitycheck wrote:

The German No. 15 has also played as a 10. I'd guess that they will try to play in the US half, every German back should be a good kicker, with field advantage they can use the lineout and maul.
It probably really depends what kind of game it will be tomorrow. Germany has in my opinion problems defending high speed encounters. But if they slow it down, kick well and use their rolling maul, they can score.
So the strengths and weaknesses of both teams might be opposites.

So the US team is the favourite, but it is November so a forward oriented game plan might work.

Spot on with your assessment and mirrors mine. I see Germany trying to strangle the game to stifle the US backs. Historically the US team have struggled at set piece so I imagine they will be targeting that hard. If US get quick ball then their patterns of play are very hard to defend - check their world cup qualifier against (albeit a weak) Canada. USA was able to match it with Ireland for half a game before they pulled away.

Biggest advantage Germany have is that they are unknown to the USA team so could cause a surprise (look at Brazil in last years ARC - granted the USA team that lost that day was probably a 3rd string starting XV ). Its clear the USA are respecting Germany with the squad / team they have named. Will be a great test to see exactly where Germany are and great prep for the ENC / world cup quals.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 16:07

Workable stream through cricfree.sx for those who find that tv.sport1.de is geo-blocked.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 16:30

Reasonably full stadium, close game looking good.

Halftime Germany 10 USA 13

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 17:44

Just to much power from the Americans in the end. Not that bad from Germany the defensive structures were allright, but they couldn't match the power of the US players in the end.

And damn Sean Armstrong is a hard tackler for a no 9.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 18:00

So the Eagles have beaten Germany in Bavaria? I didn't see that coming, not in a million years.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 18:01

Score?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 18:04

Neptune wrote:So the Eagles have beaten Germany in Bavaria? I didn't see that coming, not in a million years.

Well that's probably because the didn't play in Bavaria but in Hessia's capital Wiesbaden.

Good game by the USA, Germany was chanceless after a good first half.
17:46 in the end.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 18:04

sammo wrote:Score?

46 - 17

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sat, 18 Nov 2017, 18:05

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Neptune wrote:So the Eagles have beaten Germany in Bavaria? I didn't see that coming, not in a million years.

Well that's probably because the didn't play in Bavaria but in Hessia's capital Wiesbaden.

Good game by the USA, Germany was chanceless after a good first half.
17:46 in the end.

I thought Bavaria is another name for Germany, the same way you can say Gas or fuel for a car.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum