Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - 2018 June Internationals

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 June Internationals

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby carbonero » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 04:52

argie wrote:Relations between the UAR and the Government of Córdoba after the passage of Scotland in 2014 didn't go well. Some difference of money....

This happened in 2012. Cordoba didn’t honor their part of the contract and informed the UAR only weeks before the test. It doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore as they got the Scotland test in 2014.

argie wrote:The UAR wants that Córdoba pay to be venue for the Pumas match.

It is a tender process. Cordoba has to pay something to win the bid. They always express interest but never make an actual offer.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 18:26

Some province governments invest public funds in attracting sports events. Others don't.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 23:40

Belarus have said they hope to have a game during this period - and have suggested against/in Switzerland.

***Регби-15 / Международный Тест Матч — ??? (в стадии решения)
1.07 / Минск / муж.
«Харугва» Минск (или сб.Беларуси) – «Винтертур» (Швейцария)

https://www.facebook.com/belarusrugby/p ... 38/?type=3

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Sun, 04 Feb 2018, 06:40

TheStroBro wrote:
Bruce_ma_goose wrote: Must be the American in me that will call out the BS of a jock?

This is a really weird thing to say lad. Your nationality has no bearing on you arguing with strangers on the internet.

O'shea is fine he wouldn't be going anywhere. You are downplaying Brunnel slightly he had wins against two wins against Scotland (including one in Scotland) and one win against both Ireland and France. For the Italian side at the time that's not a bad run. He was also an assistant coach during the French dominance in the mid 2000s. Noves was floundering trying something fresh in time for the RWC isn't a bad plan, probably wont change things overall but the French team had by all accounts giving up on Noves.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 20:34

Belgium and Portugal might visit Brazil in June. There are ongoing talks.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 23:29

Tier 2 tentative schedule for June:
Samoa: Playoff
Fiji: Georgia, Romania, Tonga
Tonga: Romania, Georgia, Fiji
Japan: Italy x2, Georgia
Georgia: Fiji, Tonga, Japan
Romania: Tonga, Fiji
Canada: Scotland
USA: European side, Scotland
Uruguay: Nations Cup
Spain: Playoff / Nations Cup / North America
Russia: Playoff / Nations Cup / North America

- Italy is the only Tier 1 with an opening on June 23. Africa’s Gold Cup starts on June 16 so I’m not considering Namibia, Zimbabwe or Kenia. I’m also assuming that Romania is Europe 2 (sorry Armchair, it was easier this way).
- As posted in the USA thread, the Eagles booked a match in Denver for June 9. “The matchup will be determined this March, after the next round of European Qualification for Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan”. TheStroBro says it’s not Germany due to the Wild civil war. There could be an opening for whoever misses out the playoff in Europe.
- Victor posted above that Brazil is in talks with Belgium and Portugal. I wouldn’t get my hopes up for any additional games in South America (Chile/Colombia)
- No idea about the Nations Cup. Maybe they shrink it to four teams because I can’t see anybody outside of Uruguay, Argentina XV, Italia Emergenti and one of Spain/Russia/Germany. Hong Kong seems farfetched. They could revive the Wolfhounds or the SA Presidents.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 23:35

Europe 1, you mean ;)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 02:53

Bryan Ray of ARN Reporting that the US is going North to Canada for a third test.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 03:05

Update: Congrats Spain!!! Own it Armchair. Don’t start moaning about the bonus point against Belgium/Germany :D

Tier 2 tentative schedule for June:

Samoa: Playoff
Fiji: Georgia, Tonga
Tonga: Georgia, Fiji
Japan: Italy x2, Georgia
Georgia: Fiji, Tonga, Japan
Romania: Playoff
Canada: Scotland, USA
USA: European side, Scotland, Canada
Uruguay: Nations Cup
Spain: Nations Cup / North America / Pacific Islands
Russia: Nations Cup / North America

- Italy is the only Tier 1 with an opening on June 23. Africa’s Gold Cup starts on June 16 so I’m not considering Namibia, Zimbabwe or Kenia. I’m also assuming that Romania’s Pacific Islands tour is cancelled due to the playoff.
- Just realized that Jaguares doesn’t play on June 2. Wishful thinking but it could be nice to face Uruguay in a full test. Or some European nation that comes south for the Nations Cup.
- USA booked a match in Denver for June 9. “The matchup will be determined this March, after the next round of European Qualification for Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan”. TheStroBro says it’s not Germany due to the Wild civil war. There could be an opening for Spain/Russia.
- Victor posted above that Brazil is in talks with Belgium and Portugal. I wouldn’t get my hopes up for any additional games in South America (Chile/Colombia)
- No idea about the Nations Cup. Maybe they shrink it to four teams because I can’t see anybody outside of Uruguay, Argentina XV, Italia Emergenti and one of Spain/Russia. Hong Kong seems farfetched. They could revive the Wolfhounds or the SA Presidents.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 09:37

Even if Spain qualifies as Europe 1 I don't see us doing anything else than Nations Cup.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby JamesWales » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 10:03

Let's assume now that Spain are broadly on a par with the United States. And Spain is also a relatively wealthy country, where people would pay €20-50 for top sport.

Surely it's not inconceivable that it could be a commercial success for one of the big nations to take on Spain, or for a big test match preceded by a Spain game, in somewhere like the Bernebeu?

Is Spain v Ireland or Spain v Wales that ridiculous? It would be a popular trip for away fans and no more of a mismatch than USA or Georgia v Wales or Ireland.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 18:27

As a Spaniard I see that as ridiculous.

Yes, we won almost comfortably against Romania, but I bet they will still win most of the matches in the near future. And Georgia is better than Georgia, and much better than us.

An almost developmental Wales won without problems against Georgia. Ireland at full potencial could get almost a hundred points against Spain. If people complain abour the level of Italy...

I hope we can see that match as soon as possible, but let's be realistic...

In any case, if we get the Europe 1 spot, we will test our level with Japan, Scotland, Ireland and Samoa or Romania. I would be surprised to win a single match, but just to be there would be a huge success.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 18:31

carbonero wrote:- USA booked a match in Denver for June 9. “The matchup will be determined this March, after the next round of European Qualification for Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan”. TheStroBro says it’s not Germany due to the Wild civil war. There could be an opening for Spain/Russia.

We [EOD] had previously confirmed in September that it was going to be Germany. Then November happened, I tried to pull some teeth at the Union to get a denial, but they're keeping their mouths shut. I'm liking Spain though! Y'all want to come to Denver in June? Beautiful time of year!

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 19:31

Spain qualifying as Europe 1 makes things very interesting. As Stro says, it would seem like that qualification leads to a logical test in the US this summer. Considering the US has played Georgia very tight, I dont think its fair to say the US and Spain are comparable, but I wouldnt mind playing them instead of Germany.

Romania going to the repechage will be a big deal. I'll definitely tune in this fall as it could be a really exciting tournament. If Samoa, Romania, Canada, and Namibia are all duking it out.

Goes to show why the US should have played to win for Americas 1. Even if the repechage winner has a sort of easy pool, that repechage will be no fun at all.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 19:34

Trust me, you don't want to play Spain in June. I don't think we would offer you a decent game. Spanish teams in June have always been spanked by Argentina XV.

But first, let's wait for the end of European RWC qualifiers.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 20:00

You can't have both Samoa and Romania in the Repechage.

My bet the Repechage will be Canada, Hong Kong, Kenya ( I can't see Namibia missing out) and Romania.

I think I read somewhere it will be in Japan. Not certain though.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 20:38

This is about the June window. Romania will most likely face Samoa in June for a place in the RWC. The loser of that matchup will play the Repechage in November.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 20:40

AFAIK Hong Kong

Trust me, you don't want to play Spain in June. I don't think we would offer you a decent game. Spanish teams in June have always been spanked by Argentina XV.

If Spain qualifies to the WC, World Rugby will make them play full strenght in June (and WR will pay the travel). I am pretty sure about that and USA would be the logical place.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 21:34

victorsra wrote:

AFAIK Hong Kong

If Spain qualifies to the WC, World Rugby will make them play full strenght in June (and WR will pay the travel). I am pretty sure about that and USA would be the logical place.

And how will they do that?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby JamesWales » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 21:48

Ainsthrilln wrote:As a Spaniard I see that as ridiculous.

Yes, we won almost comfortably against Romania, but I bet they will still win most of the matches in the near future. And Georgia is better than Georgia, and much better than us.

An almost developmental Wales won without problems against Georgia. Ireland at full potencial could get almost a hundred points against Spain. If people complain abour the level of Italy...

I hope we can see that match as soon as possible, but let's be realistic...

In any case, if we get the Europe 1 spot, we will test our level with Japan, Scotland, Ireland and Samoa or Romania. I would be surprised to win a single match, but just to be there would be a huge success.

I didn't mean that Spain would genuinely compete with Ireland, or Wales etc...I meant that they have improved sufficiently to consider hosting them, as the USA, Canada etc has. As Argentina did in the 90s etc.

The purpose would be about hosting a big rugby game, getting revenue, a big crowd etc

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 23:29

Spain hosted Australia in 2001, just a couple years after our RWC participation.

The result was 10-92. And it didn't change our reality.

I'd love to have those matches, but I think that it wouldn't help us yet. We are begining to be competitive with Romania, Canada or Tonga. Next steps are Georgia, Japan, Fidji or Italy. And once we can compete with them, we can think of hosting Ireland or Wales.

It's just my opinion.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 20 Feb 2018, 06:28

Ainsthrilln wrote:Spain hosted Australia in 2001, just a couple years after our RWC participation.

The result was 10-92. And it didn't change our reality.

I didn't know that.
Just out of interest: how many people were there?
Where was it played?
How has youth rugby developed since then?
Is it just coincidence that 16 years later you are doing well in U20 levels?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 20 Feb 2018, 07:28

RugbyLiebe wrote: Is it just coincidence that 16 years later you are doing well in U20 levels?

The game inspired that inspired a generation: http://stats.espnscrum.com/australiatou ... =scorecard

Postby ihateblazers » Tue, 20 Feb 2018, 08:22

To be honest even in this era many t2 sides would lose by a high score to that Australian team. Suprise they didn't send a reserve side, Many world class players in that Australian team. Don't forget the thrashings that Georgia and Japan have been through in the past to get to where they are today.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 20 Feb 2018, 09:11

carbonero wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote: Is it just coincidence that 16 years later you are doing well in U20 levels?

The game inspired that inspired a generation: http://stats.espnscrum.com/australiatou ... =scorecard

So Ground name Campo Universitaria, Madrid Attendance 8000.
Was it the biggest attendance in Spanish rugby until that date? I think it is really interesting to see the only Western Europe t3 side to ever receive a t1 side has the highest attendances today. (? if not at least the only t3 side who host the incumbent world champion and given the fact they played in the RWC 1999 they were actually a t2 side that year).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum