Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 June Internationals

Posts: 1911
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 23 Feb 2018, 06:23

I see someone already posted about Yamaha v Italy XV game. I thought it was strange that it is scheduled to be played in Nagano not Iwata Stadium (hometown of Yamaha) but apparently Italy already decided to use the Nagano area for its pre RWC camp location in Japan.

Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 20 Feb 2018, 21:27
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Wooders » Fri, 23 Feb 2018, 12:30

I'm glad that Italy are able to play Japan in the summer and Georgia in the Autumn; it seems their world ranking suffers as a consequence of almost always playing T1 countries and rarely playing countries that are around a similar standard. Because they play (and lose) most of their games against 6 nations teams, they're down in 14th. At the moment it's:
9 - Fiji
10 - France
11 - Japan
12 - Georgia
13 - Tonga
14 - Italy
With Georgia and Romania also playing Fiji this summer, things could shake up quite a bit. I think that Italy should possibly be ahead of Japan and Georgia, but this year's matches will be the real examination of that theory. Also, Fiji are up in 9th because of beating Scotland and Italy last summer, but you would probably expect France, Japan, Georgia and Italy to beat Fiji most of the time. I'm pretty sure all those sides beat Fiji the last time they played against them.

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on what they think the rankings should be... At the risk of being controversial, here's my attempt:
9 - France
10 - Italy
11 - Japan
12 - Georgia
13 - Fiji
14 - Tonga

But I really do think that there is very little separating Italy, Japan, Georgia, Fiji. Any of them could beat each other on their day. Thoughts?

Posts: 1749
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 23 Feb 2018, 15:06

I wouldn't attempt to make a prediction but agree 100% that Italy should play teams between 11 & 16 a lot more in friendlies to help determine their true ranking.

As you say they almost exclusively play the top 10 sides.

Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 24 Feb 2018, 12:03

Uruguay Rugby Union mentions Fiji Warriors as a possible side for next Nations Cup and wants to tour Europe or South Africa in Autumn:
https://www.referi.uy/se-viene-el-rugby ... a-n1174916

User avatar
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:25
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 24 Feb 2018, 15:42

Armchair Fan wrote:Uruguay Rugby Union mentions Fiji Warriors as a possible side for next Nations Cup and wants to tour Europe or South Africa in Autumn:
https://www.referi.uy/se-viene-el-rugby ... a-n1174916


If they went to South Africa would they be playing provincial sides? Or would it be a tour of whichever of Namibia or Zimbabwe finished as Africa 1?

Canada and one of Romania and Samoa won't be playing in Europe so that opens up some T2 spots there. Games against Georgia and Fiji would be great RWC preparation since they're playing both in Pool D.

Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby victorsra » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 13:38

I asked one of Brazil's coaches about the June tests and he said WR is waiting for the REC final to confirm the opponents for some countries, like Brazil. The key reason he said is if Spain qualifies for the RWC WR wants them facing strong opposition, like USA. So that is it: probably we'll have USA-Spain in Denver. In Brazil's case, we're probably waiting to see who will play REC-RET Rep.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3997
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 13:48

Russia would be good opposition.

Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 13:50

Or Spain. As long as it is in Brazil, Tupis deserve stronger opposition than REC-RET playoff winners.

Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby victorsra » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 13:54

Maybe the team that visits USA comes to South America too. That might be the clue.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby victorsra » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 13:59

It could be Spain against USA, Canada and Uruguay. Russia against Uruguay and Brazil (but the Russians deserve a home match in June... it should be the French Barbarians). Belgium against Brazil and Chile.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3997
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 23:38

Russia is in this weird place where they are in Europe but should probably be hosting tests in June and touring in November due to climate.

User avatar
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 15:52

thatrugbyguy wrote:Russia is in this weird place where they are in Europe but should probably be hosting tests in June and touring in November due to climate.


Same in Uruguay. June is a terrible month to play rugby. We should switch: European tour in June (like the old Nations Cup), and South American tour in November.

Posts: 418
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Tobar » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 17:14

victorsra wrote:I asked one of Brazil's coaches about the June tests and he said WR is waiting for the REC final to confirm the opponents for some countries, like Brazil. The key reason he said is if Spain qualifies for the RWC WR wants them facing strong opposition, like USA. So that is it: probably we'll have USA-Spain in Denver. In Brazil's case, we're probably waiting to see who will play REC-RET Rep.


Dan Payne, USAR CEO, said that they were waiting for the results of the REC as well before confirming opponents. I would like to see what Spain has got now that they have potentially qualified for RWC. I can't remember the last time the two teams have played each other but if they have it was before 2016 when both teams were wildly different.

Posts: 1937
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 17:20

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:I asked one of Brazil's coaches about the June tests and he said WR is waiting for the REC final to confirm the opponents for some countries, like Brazil. The key reason he said is if Spain qualifies for the RWC WR wants them facing strong opposition, like USA. So that is it: probably we'll have USA-Spain in Denver. In Brazil's case, we're probably waiting to see who will play REC-RET Rep.


Dan Payne, USAR CEO, said that they were waiting for the results of the REC as well before confirming opponents. I would like to see what Spain has got now that they have potentially qualified for RWC. I can't remember the last time the two teams have played each other but if they have it was before 2016 when both teams were wildly different.


I think it was in the Repechage for the 2003 RWC.

Posts: 418
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Tobar » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 20:50

Coloradoan wrote:
Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:I asked one of Brazil's coaches about the June tests and he said WR is waiting for the REC final to confirm the opponents for some countries, like Brazil. The key reason he said is if Spain qualifies for the RWC WR wants them facing strong opposition, like USA. So that is it: probably we'll have USA-Spain in Denver. In Brazil's case, we're probably waiting to see who will play REC-RET Rep.


Dan Payne, USAR CEO, said that they were waiting for the results of the REC as well before confirming opponents. I would like to see what Spain has got now that they have potentially qualified for RWC. I can't remember the last time the two teams have played each other but if they have it was before 2016 when both teams were wildly different.


I think it was in the Repechage for the 2003 RWC.


Thanks, I think we can safely say that a match is long overdue, especially considering how much both countries have improved since then.

Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 13:41

Nations Cup without REC teams: Uruguay, Argentina XV, Italia Emergenti and Fiji Warriors
https://twitter.com/RugbyUruguay/status ... 3352095746

Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby victorsra » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 13:57

and without a single test match, no ranking points played...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 14:10

victorsra wrote:and without a single test match, no ranking points played...

Damn, I had proposed exactly the opposite.

Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 14:44

Well, I believe this meets Uruguay's goals: strong opposition and ability to test things for next RWC. Could we see a second World Rugby tournament in Brazil?

Posts: 2210
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 09:18
Location: Bucharest
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby amz » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 14:57

I think is very good opposition for Uruguay, good tournament, they will play against a good variation of styles and fairly strong opposition.

Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby victorsra » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 16:24

Could we see a second World Rugby tournament in Brazil?


Brazil wants the 2019 U20 World Trophy. I don't think they will bid for another thing before that.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 332
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby carbonero » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 21:52

This edition is in Las Piedras, 30 km north of Montevideo, because the Estadio Charrua is getting an artificial turf. All paid by FIFA in preparation for the Women’s U17 World Cup. After the tournament, the Charrua will be the official home of the women’s national team which works fine for rugby because it could drive maintenance costs down. Smart move by the URU.

Posts: 3930
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby victorsra » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 22:14

I guess the new turf of the FIFA-WR agreement. I remember when URU moved to Charrua it was told women's football would play there too.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 304
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 17:36
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby rugby.change » Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 11:27

According to John McKee, it is likely that should Romania not qualify over the weekend, it will be Spain that will be heading south to play Fiji and Tonga instead of Romania. Big games for Spain!

Not sure who USA will get then on the 9 June if this is the case. Perhaps Russia seeing as they are not competing in the World Rugby Nations Cup.

Posts: 2492
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2018 June Internationals

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 16 Mar 2018, 11:33

Source? It would be a massacre.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], TheStroBro and 19 guests