Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 16:35

Here's the latest Earful of Dirt episode if anyone is interested: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/w ... 0457215289

WCR, also on the NBCSN broadcasted games you had an MLR commercial that came on at least twice during those games. First TV ad campaign, so hopefully we've caught some of the casuals that had limited exposure to an MLR team or ExPats that didn't know.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 20:21

Anyone else notice the new name for our friends in Denver is the C.Raptors ???

Made me laugh anyway.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 01:30

sk 88 wrote:Anyone else notice the new name for our friends in Denver is the C.Raptors ???

Made me laugh anyway.

About time and should assist them in appealing to a wider audience.

Postby Raven » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 15:27

Juan Manuel Leguizamon (ARG) in talks with an MLR club...

Santiago Arata (URU) may be playing his last season in the USA: http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2019/1 ... ago-arata/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 21 Nov 2019, 17:54

I’m just surprised he is even staying at Houston. Great news all around.

Postby ihateblazers » Sat, 23 Nov 2019, 03:39

Does anyone know what type of arrangements the New York management/ownership has made for their players in terms of living arrangements and expenses? Are they getting guys corporate jobs through connections?Just curious considering the levels of salaries at the moment in MLR versus the cost of living in a city like NY.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 23 Nov 2019, 05:43

It's limited. The best job placement program in the league is NOLA.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 23 Nov 2019, 20:11

ihateblazers wrote:Does anyone know what type of arrangements the New York management/ownership has made for their players in terms of living arrangements and expenses? Are they getting guys corporate jobs through connections?Just curious considering the levels of salaries at the moment in MLR versus the cost of living in a city like NY.

Around 8 players were living together in Harlem in a place owned by Kennedy. Quite a few others were already in NYC and have a main job (such as Petri and Brakeley).

Players also had side jobs either as coaches/community organizers or for Kennedy’s construction company.

Postby ihateblazers » Sun, 24 Nov 2019, 06:05

Ahh that makes sense then. I'm thinking of it in the context of a bay area team which has similar high costs. There would probably need to be a owner who can make similar arrangements.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 24 Nov 2019, 18:03

Yeah Bay Area is even worse than NYC if that’s possible. At the very least, you’d have to expect that the training facility will be further away from the most expensive part of the city so that players can live in more affordable areas.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 26 Nov 2019, 15:21

Here's the latest episode of Earful of Dirt: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/m ... 0457866539

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 03:52

Brazil's number 1 referee Henrique Platais is living in Atlanta (because of his job, not rugby) and will be one of the MLR referees. Very nice.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 06:56

That will be good experience for him.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 08:27

Interesting blog in the Guardian about the status of MLR, with suggestions Colorado may go, perhaps even form a rival league, while Chicago could become the next expansion franchise, though Dallas and the LA Loyals are apparently waiting in the wings. I thought the East & West conferences were already confirmed, whereas this excerpt applies a conditional:

The Raptors do not just own Infinity Park, the first rugby specific stadium in the US. Arising from their prominent role in moves to create a league before and after the failure of PRO Rugby, which lasted one season in 2016, they own significant intellectual property including the Major League Rugby name. Sources said the Raptors could form a new league in competition with a renamed MLR. Colorado and MLR did not respond to requests for comment.

If Colorado do not withdraw or another team takes their place, the new teams will enter a competition split into six-strong eastern and western conferences. More teams wait in the wings, including the Los Angeles Loyals, voted in instead of the LA Coast operation which announced itself in July 2018. The Loyals, driven by Australian investment, have not announced a formal entry date.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ssion=true

Meanwhile, the following figures seem reasonable enough for just the second year of competition. If they can continue to build on this over the next decade, and develop the junior rugby program, that will put the US in a good position to host the 12th edition of the Rugby World Cup, as they are widely tipped to do, and the 2030s might just turn out to be the decade the Eagles join the ranks of the international heavyweights.

The 2019 final attracted just over 500,000 viewers on CBS but crowds remain small: the double champion Seattle Seawolves and San Diego Legion, beaten finalists in year two, attract the biggest regular-season attendances at around 4,000. Other teams, including the loudly ballyhooed Rugby United New York, lag behind, many playing in minor league baseball parks they struggle to halfway fill.

Nonu, Ioane and Ranger will join New York signings Ben Foden and Matthieu Bastareaud in MLR, marquee former internationals in squads nonetheless subject to a $500,000 salary cap that is dramatically low in comparison to wage bills in Super Rugby, the Gallagher Premiership and the Top 14.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 09:02

Edgar wrote:Interesting blog in the Guardian about the status of MLR, with suggestions Colorado may go, perhaps even form a rival league, while Chicago could become the next expansion franchise, though Dallas and the LA Loyals are apparently waiting in the wings. I thought the East & West conferences were already confirmed, whereas this excerpt applies a conditional:

The Raptors do not just own Infinity Park, the first rugby specific stadium in the US. Arising from their prominent role in moves to create a league before and after the failure of PRO Rugby, which lasted one season in 2016, they own significant intellectual property including the Major League Rugby name. Sources said the Raptors could form a new league in competition with a renamed MLR. Colorado and MLR did not respond to requests for comment.

If Colorado do not withdraw or another team takes their place, the new teams will enter a competition split into six-strong eastern and western conferences. More teams wait in the wings, including the Los Angeles Loyals, voted in instead of the LA Coast operation which announced itself in July 2018. The Loyals, driven by Australian investment, have not announced a formal entry date.

Meanwhile, the following figures seem reasonable enough for just the second year of competition. If they can continue to build on this over the next decade, and develop the junior rugby program, that will put the US in a good position to host the 12th edition of the Rugby World Cup, as they are widely tipped to do, and the 2030s might just turn out to be the decade the Eagles join the ranks of the international heavyweights.

The 2019 final attracted just over 500,000 viewers on CBS but crowds remain small: the double champion Seattle Seawolves and San Diego Legion, beaten finalists in year two, attract the biggest regular-season attendances at around 4,000. Other teams, including the loudly ballyhooed Rugby United New York, lag behind, many playing in minor league baseball parks they struggle to halfway fill.

Nonu, Ioane and Ranger will join New York signings Ben Foden and Matthieu Bastareaud in MLR, marquee former internationals in squads nonetheless subject to a $500,000 salary cap that is dramatically low in comparison to wage bills in Super Rugby, the Gallagher Premiership and the Top 14.

The Raptors are quoted via Rugby Wrap Up that they are not leaving and will be playing in the upcoming season. There's been some speculation around this. Some of it about whether they may be reaching their ceiling in comparison to their competitors in regards to their ability to grow their level of professionalism. That they may not have the means to match others who want to accelerate things.

Others have suggested that this is all a little outdated. Just thinking about it now. As in as I type this. The rebranding to Colorado could be an effort not only to appeal to a wider audience but to entice extra investment. Sponsoring or investing in a Colorado franchise is far more attractive than Glendale.

Regarding the ratings. the Championship game figure is encouraging. I'd be interested to find out what the season average was. I know in Australia generally speaking the crowd for the Grand Finals tend to be 2 - 2.5 times larger than the in season average. Which would put it somewhere between 125-250k a game. Though I'm likely way off. But that would be great if close. As that would make TV negotiations a lot easier. Crowds are an issue. They didn't decline too much from season 1. They should improve this season. I expect SD and Seattle to set the standard. I'd be shocked if with their team SD don't go close to selling out every game. Houston should improve. Hopefully Utah as well.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 14:25

I’ve heard from some people that Colorado tried to exercise its escape clause but then treatises they would basically have to give up everything to so they quickly changed their minds.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 17:38

Tobar wrote:I’ve heard from some people that Colorado tried to exercise its escape clause but then treatises they would basically have to give up everything to so they quickly changed their minds.

Why would they want to leave? other than their mismanagement

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 27 Nov 2019, 18:26

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Edgar wrote:Interesting blog in the Guardian about the status of MLR, with suggestions Colorado may go, perhaps even form a rival league, while Chicago could become the next expansion franchise, though Dallas and the LA Loyals are apparently waiting in the wings. I thought the East & West conferences were already confirmed, whereas this excerpt applies a conditional:

The Raptors are quoted via Rugby Wrap Up that they are not leaving and will be playing in the upcoming season. There's been some speculation around this. Some of it about whether they may be reaching their ceiling in comparison to their competitors in regards to their ability to grow their level of professionalism. That they may not have the means to match others who want to accelerate things.

Others have suggested that this is all a little outdated. Just thinking about it now. As in as I type this. The rebranding to Colorado could be an effort not only to appeal to a wider audience but to entice extra investment. Sponsoring or investing in a Colorado franchise is far more attractive than Glendale.

Regarding the ratings. the Championship game figure is encouraging. I'd be interested to find out what the season average was. I know in Australia generally speaking the crowd for the Grand Finals tend to be 2 - 2.5 times larger than the in season average. Which would put it somewhere between 125-250k a game. Though I'm likely way off. But that would be great if close. As that would make TV negotiations a lot easier. Crowds are an issue. They didn't decline too much from season 1. They should improve this season. I expect SD and Seattle to set the standard. I'd be shocked if with their team SD don't go close to selling out every game. Houston should improve. Hopefully Utah as well.

The final was on CBS, what people in Australia would call free to air. The other nationally televised matches were on CBS Sports Network, a pretty niche cable (what people in Australia would call pay TV) channel that does not have great distribution even in comparison to NBCSN/Fox Sports. So the audiences on CBS SN would be much smaller than that.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum