AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 02:03

Might be time to get one.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 02:07

thatrugbyguy wrote:Might be time to get one.

Nah, I'd have to buy two jerseys then! :lol: but idk, I haven't noticed any difficulty myself. But I guess both teams are fairly dark.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 02:17

A white jersey with orange, navy and grey hoops would look pretty nice IMO.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 02:37

The more I watch this the better the feeling I get about MLR. I think this is going to work. There's a completely different feeling to this than there was for PRO Rugby, an energy that was lacking previously. And it seems to me a foregone conclusion Ontario will be there next year, it going to be crazy not to have them come along with New York in 2019.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 13:01

thatrugbyguy wrote:The more I watch this the better the feeling I get about MLR. I think this is going to work. There's a completely different feeling to this than there was for PRO Rugby, an energy that was lacking previously. And it seems to me a foregone conclusion Ontario will be there next year, it going to be crazy not to have them come along with New York in 2019.

Yeah, I don't think it'll be all that long before most of these teams begin to outgrow their current stadium arrangements.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 14:36

Working Class Rugger wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:The more I watch this the better the feeling I get about MLR. I think this is going to work. There's a completely different feeling to this than there was for PRO Rugby, an energy that was lacking previously. And it seems to me a foregone conclusion Ontario will be there next year, it going to be crazy not to have them come along with New York in 2019.

Yeah, I don't think it'll be all that long before most of these teams begin to outgrow their current stadium arrangements.

well it took mls maybe 10 or 15 years before they got their own stadia... rugby will be more difficult to catch on, because soccer had the "global" appeal for americans that rugby does not have as much... but if each team does their business well, it will be a success

id like to see mlr be a pathway for say, mexicans, brazilians, chileans, uruguayans, colombians etc...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 19:51

EP 31: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/04/ea ... crazy.html

ETA: Peter Malcolm and Vince Jobo are both out for the season.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 21:19

It's snowing here, and it's apparently going to get really bad, so today's game was cancelled.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Paula Bale » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 22:34

Not sure if it's been posted before but good to see the Hurricanes joining the Crusaders in partnering MLR sides. Be good if all MLR sides could find a partner from a professional franchise/club/province from the Tier 1 countries...

Hurricanes form partnership with Canadian club

The Hurricanes have formed a partnership with newly established Canadian professional rugby club the Ontario Arrows.

The two clubs have announced a working relationship that will see both assist each other with high performance initiatives, as well as marketing and media opportunities.

Ontario are beginning the journey into professional rugby in Canada with an ambitious spring schedule.
The Arrows are Canada’s first privately-funded high-performance rugby team.

They compete against top-tier North American club teams, providing emerging Canadian talent with enhanced and more frequent opportunities to hone their skills at an elite level.

“We are very pleased to be able to work with one of the top global rugby brands as we get started ourselves” Arrows co-founder Bill Webb said. "They have a couple of decades of pro rugby knowledge and best practice to share and we are very positive about where our relationship with the Hurricanes might take us”

Hurricanes chief executive Avan Lee believed the partnership had the potential to be beneficial for both clubs.

"We are looking forward to assisting the Arrows with their entry into professional rugby whilst growing our own brand in North America," he said.

Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders buy into new Seattle Seawolves team

The Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders have extended their reach and taken minority ownership stakes in the American professional rugby side, the Seattle Seawolves.

​The Canterbury union is a major stakeholder of the Crusaders and both say they will do what they can to help develop players for the Seawolves.

The Seattle-based team was formed last year and will kick off its inaugural season in the new North American professional competition, the Major League Rugby, in April."As the oldest rugby organisation in New Zealand we are excited to have secured a small stake in the future of professional rugby in the US," Canterbury Rugby chief executive Nathan Godfrey said.

"We look forward to sharing our expertise of developing some of the world's best rugby players with the Seawolves."

Crusaders chief executive Hamish Riach said his franchise wanted to help the Seawolves.

"As a professional rugby club we are delighted to have the opportunity to take a small stake in the Seawolves, with our goal being to assist them with their entry into professional rugby in the US," he said.

"We look forward to helping where we can and supporting them in their exciting journey to be a successful professional team and club."

New Zealand sporting rights company FHG Ltd has brokered the deal.

"It's my absolute pleasure to bring a small group of four investors from rugby in New Zealand to play a part in the exciting journey that will be the Seattle Seawolves," FHG managing director Warren Goddard said.

The Seawolves are happy to have one of the world's most successful sides in the Crusaders – who have won eight Super Rugby titles - on board.

"I could not be more thrilled to have the winning tradition of the Crusaders and Canterbury Rugby joining our ownership team," Seawolves co-owner Shane Skinner said.

"They are world class sports organisations and this partnership underscores the potential of professional rugby in America."

The Seawolves recently announced the majority of its first season roster and it includes seasoned rugby veterans Garrett Bender, Eric Duechle, and Nick Wallace.

Bender competed with Team USA with the return of rugby sevens to the 2016 Olympics and will bring his explosive style of play to the Seawolves. Air Force captain and former USA Eagle Duechle has been named 'The Beast' in the rugby community for his imposing frame, while Wallace has had several years experience with the US national team.

The Seawolves will have their first MRL game on April 22 against San Diego Legion in Tukwila, which borders Seattle.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby cheesus » Sun, 15 Apr 2018, 11:37

Sorry if this was already asked and/or answered, but does anyone know if it is possible to watch mlr games live and/or on demand from germany (legaly)?

I heard the games will mainly be shown on espn+, but it seems, that this is only working inside the us. :-/

So any other options?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sun, 15 Apr 2018, 12:26

Not yet announced, but there is an international viewing option that will be available, I think they're just working out the final details

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby cheesus » Mon, 16 Apr 2018, 04:00

Alright.
I hope they will work this out before the season starts then.
Just a few days to go.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 02:47

Look like a serius injury of a wolf pack player during the match against utah warriors hope he is ok
Anybody has more info?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 03:30

Osmanperalta wrote:Look like a serius injury of a wolf pack player during the match against utah warriors hope he is ok
Anybody has more info?

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Whippy brothers from Utah. I'm not sure which one. The announcers said something about him being put in an aircast. I'm guessing a fracture to his fibula/tibia and hoping not a full on break. His season is probably done though. A real shame and blow to Utah if it's one of them because both brothers looked class.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 03:55

thanks mate.. my mistake ;) i got confused and could not see because the transmission ended

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 05:38

Josh Whippy suffered a compound fracture per the press release.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby cheesus » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 06:16

The games will be streamed live on mlr's facebook page!
(For international viewers only)

Should be starting at 8 p.m. (gmt) tonight.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 06:23

I think it was Tobar who said on reddit that they won't be streamed live but a replay will me made available on fb for international viewers after the game has ended.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 06:30

iul wrote:I think it was Tobar who said on reddit that they won't be streamed live but a replay will me made available on fb for international viewers after the game has ended.

Well, on FB is states that the first game will kickoff at 5am Sydney time. Which is 3 pm ET in the US. Which is when the game is set to kick off in Texas.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 18:58

OK, so, where is the link I can watch the game at? It's supposed to start in a couple of minutes

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 19:02

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 19:08

And we're live! Too bad the conditions aren't great.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 19:22

Someone needs to teach the camera mean how to shoot rugby.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 19:58

Some serious wind there

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 21 Apr 2018, 21:25

New Orleans and Houston played a really fun game I thought. Pretty decent standard and hopefully a good sign of things to come.

I've seen mixed opinions on their kit but I really liked the New Orleans one in action. Simple yet looked good.

Sucks the CBS Game of the Week is blacked out in Canada. Even if I had cable I'm pretty sure CBS Sports isn't available in my part of the country.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum