Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 07:14

Caught the replay. Entertaining game. Congrats to Seattle for taking out the first championship. I would say all things considered the first year of MLR can be considered a far bigger success than what PRO delivered. Still some work to do with some of the teams but overall a solid foundation has been laid. Now it's about cementing things over the coming years. We'll have NY, Ontario and probably Dallas next year so there will be 5 games per week next year. Exciting times.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 08:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:Caught the replay. Entertaining game. Congrats to Seattle for taking out the first championship. I would say all things considered the first year of MLR can be considered a far bigger success than what PRO delivered. Still some work to do with some of the teams but overall a solid foundation has been laid. Now it's about cementing things over the coming years. We'll have NY, Ontario and probably Dallas next year so there will be 5 games per week next year. Exciting times.

LA has already confirmed tgey are in for next season. So it'll be NY, LA and hopefully one of Ontario or Dallas. More than likely Ontario. I'll believe it when I see it with Dallas.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 20:31

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 03:26

thatrugbyguy wrote:Caught the replay. Entertaining game. Congrats to Seattle for taking out the first championship. I would say all things considered the first year of MLR can be considered a far bigger success than what PRO delivered. Still some work to do with some of the teams but overall a solid foundation has been laid. Now it's about cementing things over the coming years. We'll have NY, Ontario and probably Dallas next year so there will be 5 games per week next year. Exciting times.

Even with knowing that PRO flopped after 1 year, MLR is significantly more successful. PRO was stale and lifeless but MLR has energy and meaning to it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 03:28

LA has already confirmed tgey are in for next season. So it'll be NY, LA and hopefully one of Ontario or Dallas. More than likely Ontario. I'll believe it when I see it with Dallas.

What about DC?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 12:56

DC will most likely be 2020 instead. 2019 is possible but they are upfront by saying that 2020 makes more sense. LA has declared 2019.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 15:52

Tobar wrote:

Even with knowing that PRO flopped after 1 year, MLR is significantly more successful. PRO was stale and lifeless but MLR has energy and meaning to it.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time PRO was exciting considering it was the first attempt at professional rugby in the US. There were a lot of problems, but fundamentally if Doug had funded things better or let interested investors join, it might still be around and we wouldnt be talking about it like a deadbeat uncle. Coverage was inconsistent but I remember being excited to watch Ohio v Denver. And although the quality of players was probably more inconsistent, it was still a good step up from D1 club rugby.

In retrospect, looking unemotionally at the teams and games (ignoring the whole non payment issue and acrimony that followed), they did a good job pushing for parity and setting up in a matter of months but without real local buy in and ownership in each city, team's did not have the same chemistry or depth of support.

You can see now, watching MLR, how a single entity league makes the most sense when there is still a local owner and local front office making decisions that are right for each city.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 14:22

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 17:52

Tobar wrote:DC will most likely be 2020 instead. 2019 is possible but they are upfront by saying that 2020 makes more sense. LA has declared 2019.

Have the Ontario Arrow's???

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 20:25

They’ve declared intent to enter, just need signing off from MLR.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 20:50

snapper37 wrote:
Tobar wrote:DC will most likely be 2020 instead. 2019 is possible but they are upfront by saying that 2020 makes more sense. LA has declared 2019.

My information is about ten days old, but they're in the "finalish" negotiations phase to enter. Rugby Canada has no issues with sanctioning MLR as they were never a party to the PRO Rugby fiasco.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 21:09

TheStroBro wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

My information is about ten days old, but they're in the "finalish" negotiations phase to enter. Rugby Canada has no issues with sanctioning MLR as they were never a party to the PRO Rugby fiasco.

I'm so incredibly excited. Considering that Toronto is odds-on my likely destination in a few years I want to have a pro team to support.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 16:41

Took some time to examine the Seawolves Season and success in totality: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/07/in ... ld-as.html

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 16:26

There will be a major announcement by the Ontario Arrows at 2 pm today. Hmmm.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 00:37

Ontario Arrows has secured exclusive negotiating rights for the Toronto market. Their intent is to play in 2019. I'd put money on it.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 01:04

Toronto Wolfpack are looking at switching codes I wouldn’t be aurpirsed if that complicated things.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 01:11

Blurandski wrote:Toronto Wolfpack are looking at switching codes I wouldn’t be aurpirsed if that complicated things.

Sorry. What?

Postby 4N » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 01:27

People talking about Pro14 or MLR if the RFL blocks them from SL.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 01:33

4N wrote:People talking about Pro14 or MLR if the RFL blocks them from SL.

Really. I would've thought the SL would welcome them with open arms.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 03:03

I could see why it would be an issue. From my understanding part of the licensing agreement for Super League teams is that they have to also be developing a nursery for rugby league talent, and the Wolfpack obviously don't have much to work with in that department. It essentially means that if you play in Super League you have to be contributing to the pool of players. I would hazard a guess that the RFL didn't anticipate the Wolfpack being stacked with professional talent and rising this quickly through the divisions. I could see why this would be an issue as it would mean the Wolfpack wouldn't be developing players for other teams to potentially sign up, but I'm surprised it was something that wasn't already brought up and discussed prior to the team forming. A change in code would be a pretty drastic move, I don't think anything like that has happened since 1895, at least not in the professional era.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 04:12

Basically it would be expensive...I'm sure the RFL would sue them into the ground...also, they'd need an entirely different player group.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 04:16

RFL pretty much have final say as to whether teams get promoted or not, so I doubt they'll get sued. It's not automatic like in soccer. Travel has probably got something to do with it also. Wolfpack would have to play large chunks of the season away from home.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 05:10

thatrugbyguy wrote:RFL pretty much have final say as to whether teams get promoted or not, so I doubt they'll get sued. It's not automatic like in soccer. Travel has probably got something to do with it also. Wolfpack would have to play large chunks of the season away from home.

It could also come down the SL teams not wanting to cover their own travel costs. The Wolfpack have had to cover the costs of their current competitors but they are all at a different level than the SL clubs in terms of financing. They may not want to continue that arrangement much longer and I cannot the SL clubs being happy to dip into their pockets.

There could also be as you have suggested that the RFL didn't see them actually pushing for a place and the big table. More just some good publicity for the code in its markets.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 07:03

TheStroBro wrote:Basically it would be expensive...I'm sure the RFL would sue them into the ground...also, they'd need an entirely different player group.

Based on what could they potentially sue them?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 07:29

I think two teams in Toronto, the Wolfpack and the Arrows would be perfect. Get that cross town rivalry going!!

I'd love it if the Wolfpack flipped, it would be hilarious. All the doomongers on here would suddenly become cheerleaders and all the fan-bois of league would become the haters!

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum