Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

Posts: 3990
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 07:14

Caught the replay. Entertaining game. Congrats to Seattle for taking out the first championship. I would say all things considered the first year of MLR can be considered a far bigger success than what PRO delivered. Still some work to do with some of the teams but overall a solid foundation has been laid. Now it's about cementing things over the coming years. We'll have NY, Ontario and probably Dallas next year so there will be 5 games per week next year. Exciting times.

Posts: 1178
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 08:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:Caught the replay. Entertaining game. Congrats to Seattle for taking out the first championship. I would say all things considered the first year of MLR can be considered a far bigger success than what PRO delivered. Still some work to do with some of the teams but overall a solid foundation has been laid. Now it's about cementing things over the coming years. We'll have NY, Ontario and probably Dallas next year so there will be 5 games per week next year. Exciting times.


LA has already confirmed tgey are in for next season. So it'll be NY, LA and hopefully one of Ontario or Dallas. More than likely Ontario. I'll believe it when I see it with Dallas.

Posts: 208
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016, 03:59
National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 20:31


Posts: 407
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 03:26

thatrugbyguy wrote:Caught the replay. Entertaining game. Congrats to Seattle for taking out the first championship. I would say all things considered the first year of MLR can be considered a far bigger success than what PRO delivered. Still some work to do with some of the teams but overall a solid foundation has been laid. Now it's about cementing things over the coming years. We'll have NY, Ontario and probably Dallas next year so there will be 5 games per week next year. Exciting times.


Even with knowing that PRO flopped after 1 year, MLR is significantly more successful. PRO was stale and lifeless but MLR has energy and meaning to it.

Posts: 3929
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 03:28

LA has already confirmed tgey are in for next season. So it'll be NY, LA and hopefully one of Ontario or Dallas. More than likely Ontario. I'll believe it when I see it with Dallas.


What about DC?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 407
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 12:56

DC will most likely be 2020 instead. 2019 is possible but they are upfront by saying that 2020 makes more sense. LA has declared 2019.

Posts: 932
Joined: Thu, 21 May 2015, 08:02
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Suiram » Tue, 10 Jul 2018, 15:52

Tobar wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Caught the replay. Entertaining game. Congrats to Seattle for taking out the first championship. I would say all things considered the first year of MLR can be considered a far bigger success than what PRO delivered. Still some work to do with some of the teams but overall a solid foundation has been laid. Now it's about cementing things over the coming years. We'll have NY, Ontario and probably Dallas next year so there will be 5 games per week next year. Exciting times.


Even with knowing that PRO flopped after 1 year, MLR is significantly more successful. PRO was stale and lifeless but MLR has energy and meaning to it.



Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time PRO was exciting considering it was the first attempt at professional rugby in the US. There were a lot of problems, but fundamentally if Doug had funded things better or let interested investors join, it might still be around and we wouldnt be talking about it like a deadbeat uncle. Coverage was inconsistent but I remember being excited to watch Ohio v Denver. And although the quality of players was probably more inconsistent, it was still a good step up from D1 club rugby.

In retrospect, looking unemotionally at the teams and games (ignoring the whole non payment issue and acrimony that followed), they did a good job pushing for parity and setting up in a matter of months but without real local buy in and ownership in each city, team's did not have the same chemistry or depth of support.

You can see now, watching MLR, how a single entity league makes the most sense when there is still a local owner and local front office making decisions that are right for each city.

Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 14:22


Posts: 353
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 17:52

Tobar wrote:DC will most likely be 2020 instead. 2019 is possible but they are upfront by saying that 2020 makes more sense. LA has declared 2019.



Have the Ontario Arrow's???

Posts: 407
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 20:25

They’ve declared intent to enter, just need signing off from MLR.

Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 20:50

snapper37 wrote:
Tobar wrote:DC will most likely be 2020 instead. 2019 is possible but they are upfront by saying that 2020 makes more sense. LA has declared 2019.



Have the Ontario Arrow's???

My information is about ten days old, but they're in the "finalish" negotiations phase to enter. Rugby Canada has no issues with sanctioning MLR as they were never a party to the PRO Rugby fiasco.

Online
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 21:09

TheStroBro wrote:
snapper37 wrote:
Tobar wrote:DC will most likely be 2020 instead. 2019 is possible but they are upfront by saying that 2020 makes more sense. LA has declared 2019.



Have the Ontario Arrow's???

My information is about ten days old, but they're in the "finalish" negotiations phase to enter. Rugby Canada has no issues with sanctioning MLR as they were never a party to the PRO Rugby fiasco.


I'm so incredibly excited. Considering that Toronto is odds-on my likely destination in a few years I want to have a pro team to support.

Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 12 Jul 2018, 16:41

Took some time to examine the Seawolves Season and success in totality: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/07/in ... ld-as.html

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan, Baidu [Spider], Blurandski, Google Adsense [Bot], Graf_von_Tirol, Thomas and 16 guests