Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 10:13

Maybe we should try and start creating some decent coverage of other emerging T2 rugby leagues. Need more publicity.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 11:11

YamahaKiwi wrote:MLR has their own website and social media so much more news there. All the teams also have their own sites and social media (click on the team logos on the MLR site to be directed to the team's sites). Plus guys on this forum, Strobro, Tobar and some others have created the mlr reddit page https://www.reddit.com/r/MLRugby/ and their own podcast with heavy mlr content https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/04/earful-of-dirt-ep30-just-three-weeks.html. On the reddit page and mlr website and mlr social media you can see some of media coverage and team launches for local media that's taken place. That should keep you happy :)

Fair enough, but let's be honest, Reddit and a podcast are more for hardcore-fans of a league. I visited their facebook page. You can't find when it starts. You don't really understand that there are warm-up games. No countdown for the real season to start etc.
Not really appealing to anybody who knows not much about the league. Not casual enough.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby 4N » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 15:09

RugbyLiebe wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:MLR has their own website and social media so much more news there. All the teams also have their own sites and social media (click on the team logos on the MLR site to be directed to the team's sites). Plus guys on this forum, Strobro, Tobar and some others have created the mlr reddit page https://www.reddit.com/r/MLRugby/ and their own podcast with heavy mlr content https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/04/earful-of-dirt-ep30-just-three-weeks.html. On the reddit page and mlr website and mlr social media you can see some of media coverage and team launches for local media that's taken place. That should keep you happy :)

Fair enough, but let's be honest, Reddit and a podcast are more for hardcore-fans of a league. I visited their facebook page. You can't find when it starts. You don't really understand that there are warm-up games. No countdown for the real season to start etc.
Not really appealing to anybody who knows not much about the league. Not casual enough.

The league has a small number of hardcore fans. Hopefully after year 1 it grows into something more. But as Dan Payne said in a tweet, it may be 10-20 years before it realizes full potential. Hopefully they have a plan to withstand a lean first 4-5 years. I definitely don't think all of the current teams will make it, but with a good plan in place clubs like Utah and Seattle should establish roots and prosper. I can't help but feel that the current lineup of teams mixes those with high professional standards with those who may not make season 2 or 3.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 15:23

RugbyLiebe wrote:

So, you don't understand there are pre-season games because you aren't paying attention. Which is fine, you're a German and the marketing isn't focused on you but rather on the individual markets. The Teams are promoting within their markets, they've hustled. Two attendance records for Senior Rugby have already been set in the PRE-SEASON. First by Houston with 5356, and then last week by Utah with 9186.

If you're unwilling to click the website link, and then click schedule and regular season. You're a bit hopeless here. If you want to pay attention, do so, but don't come off the top rope and state that the information isn't clear. It's quite clear. Multiple press-releases. Everything.

Now, big news, USAR and MLR will announce sanctioning shortly and an article will appear in the SBJ. https://twitter.com/BenFischerSBJ/statu ... 9163065345

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 16:21

TheStroBro wrote:If you're unwilling to click the website link, and then click schedule and regular season. You're a bit hopeless here. If you want to pay attention, do so, but don't come off the top rope and state that the information isn't clear. It's quite clear. Multiple press-releases. Everything.

No need to get arrogant.
I've read this thread for a while and from this thread I simply never found out when the season actually starts (off course I know that those were preseason games and that it starts sometime in April). Why shouldn't I be interested? I also watched some ProRugby games.
Go to the facebook page and have a look. Try to look at it like you have never been there. Where does it state that the season starts when?

Afterwards go to the homepage.
"MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY AND ESPN ANNOUNCE RIGHTS AGREEMENT" Great. So when does it start: "launching April 2018", "will launch in April of 2018." So I am as smart as before.
"https://www.usmlr.com/news/major-league-rugby-and-espn-announce-rights-agreement"

"Utah Warriors lose inaugural match against powerhouse Glendale Raptors but win with fans" My first thought. Oh the season has already started.
Go check the full article, maybe I am just the stupid German you think I am, but I don't find anything that this was an exhibition match. So apparently I am not the only one "paying no attention" despite numerous "press releases" (you know how ridiculous this sounds, when I am not with any US press at all :D )
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... -fans.html

"ESPN+ will launch on April 12th for $4.99 per month" Oh great so the season starts at April 12th. Ah wait it is about international rugby games etc.
https://www.usmlr.com/news/espn-will-la ... -per-month

"Firefighters and cops face off as New York's pro rugby team debuts" Ah cool, there's a team in NY. Ah wait, they will start next year to play in a league that starts "playing next month".
https://www.usmlr.com/news/firefighters ... eam-debuts

"Utah Warriors unveil uniforms ahead of Major League Rugby opener" Great news. But wait, the season starts March 30th. Oh, I've missed the start, but I already knew that from three posts up, which I've read before.
https://www.usmlr.com/news/utah-warrior ... gby-opener

You know, you are right, I could have clicked on the schedule. I did and apparently I misclicked and landed directly on the exhibition games subpage.
Sorry that I have the feeling that at every MLR-media-account it should scream "season starts in XYZ days" "Season opener on April 21st" etc.
Despite I couldn't find a single exact date in the 5 most recent articles on the MLR-website.

Thanks for telling me when it starts, hope this will be the success the attendances at exhibition matches promise.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 16:25

4N wrote:
The league has a small number of hardcore fans. Hopefully after year 1 it grows into something more. But as Dan Payne said in a tweet, it may be 10-20 years before it realizes full potential. Hopefully they have a plan to withstand a lean first 4-5 years. I definitely don't think all of the current teams will make it, but with a good plan in place clubs like Utah and Seattle should establish roots and prosper. I can't help but feel that the current lineup of teams mixes those with high professional standards with those who may not make season 2 or 3.

This is one of the most important projects for rugby in the world. If this becomes big in the USA, rugby will have a huge additional growth world wide. And it really does look promising (and I spare any negatives this post, as I've brought enough negative vibes in in my post before 8-)

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 16:27

RugbyLiebe wrote:
No need to get arrogant.
I've read this thread for a while and from this thread I simply never found out when the season actually starts (off course I know that those were preseason games and that it starts sometime in April). Why shouldn't I be interested? I also watched some ProRugby games.
Go to the facebook page and have a look. Try to look at it like you have never been there. Where does it state that the season starts when?

I read your post as being pretty dickish hence my response. I do suppose that instead of April 2018, they should say: Season Kick-Off April 21st, [team] v [team] live on CBS Sports.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 17:30

RugbyLiebe wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:If you're unwilling to click the website link, and then click schedule and regular season. You're a bit hopeless here. If you want to pay attention, do so, but don't come off the top rope and state that the information isn't clear. It's quite clear. Multiple press-releases. Everything.

No need to get arrogant.

Well, we haven't really been stating the start dates. Tbh, this thread hasn't really had much traction outside of posting news up until a week or so ago.

The Facebook page is definitely missing a big sign that says when the first game and where to watch it - it would be wise to make this the banner photo. However, there has been a lot of local marketing by the teams to promote the league within their own communities. Almost every team has been visiting local news stations and hosting local media who write about the league. They've also done their own outreach to the local rugby community. It seems like MLR is delegating a lot of this to the local teams who will directly benefit from the fans while MLR is focused more on big picture promotion of the league.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 22:37

I believe that USA Rugby are about to sanction this league. They could learn a lot from MLR in terms of marketing and should look at playing more games in places like Denver, Seattle and Salt Lake.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 22:54

As confirmed in the Canada thread, the Seattle Seawolves will be playing the Prairie Wolf Pack in an exhibition game. Not sure about the exact date but I'm going to guess April 14th since the Wolf Pack are playing the Utah Warriors on April 21st. Hopefully the game actually happens and the Wolf Pack aren't overly embarrassed by what should be a fairly strong team.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 23:56

Grayday88 wrote:I believe that USA Rugby are about to sanction this league. They could learn a lot from MLR in terms of marketing and should look at playing more games in places like Denver, Seattle and Salt Lake.

There is no good venue for USA Rugby in Seattle unless it is against a marquee opponent as the MLS team there has been so successful that they never built one of those 20-30k venues like most other cities did. They can certainly learn something about promotion from MLR though.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 02:47

Seattle would be great for a CanAm match as you’re likely to get a decent group traveling from Vancouver, one of the Rugby hotspots in Canada. But yeah there aren’t many good venues. Memorial stadium is a good size but will get torn down and replaced with something but I don’t know the timeline. Even if the stadium was available, it’s old and pretty old. It would still be better than most places that the Eagles have played at if were being honest though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 03:35

Tobar wrote:Seattle would be great for a CanAm match as you’re likely to get a decent group traveling from Vancouver, one of the Rugby hotspots in Canada. But yeah there aren’t many good venues. Memorial stadium is a good size but will get torn down and replaced with something but I don’t know the timeline. Even if the stadium was available, it’s old and pretty old. It would still be better than most places that the Eagles have played at if were being honest though.

Could Portland be an option? Providence Park is a fairly decent venue. I know it's not the biggest rugby market but it's like 5 hours from Vancouver and 3 hours from Seattle. Not sure what the travel is like from the Bay Area but maybe some fans could make a trip up.

And another thing. It always bugs me that Vancouver/Island, Seattle and California are all decently strong rugby markets but there's nothing in Portland. What happened to keep rugby from being strong all the way up and down the West Coast?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 03:43

Buffalo wrote:
Tobar wrote:Seattle would be great for a CanAm match as you’re likely to get a decent group traveling from Vancouver, one of the Rugby hotspots in Canada. But yeah there aren’t many good venues. Memorial stadium is a good size but will get torn down and replaced with something but I don’t know the timeline. Even if the stadium was available, it’s old and pretty old. It would still be better than most places that the Eagles have played at if were being honest though.

Could Portland be an option? Providence Park is a fairly decent venue. I know it's not the biggest rugby market but it's like 5 hours from Vancouver and 3 hours from Seattle. Not sure what the travel is like from the Bay Area but maybe some fans could make a trip up.

And another thing. It always bugs me that Vancouver/Island, Seattle and California are all decently strong rugby markets but there's nothing in Portland. What happened to keep rugby from being strong all the way up and down the West Coast?

That's a flight from the Bay. Unless you're one of those that is good with hauling 12 Hours in a car...(no thanks).

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 13:31

Portland is also a small town compared to Seattle. I visited Seattle once and spoke to some Portlanders who marveled at the size of Seattle. Considering the fact that I live in NYC, I was a bit taken aback by their comments.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 14:57

Tobar wrote:Portland is also a small town compared to Seattle. I visited Seattle once and spoke to some Portlanders who marveled at the size of Seattle. Considering the fact that I live in NYC, I was a bit taken aback by their comments.

Portland is like the size of Vancouver, population wise. Both the actual cities and their respective metro areas. Seattle is definitely bigger than both though. It just irks me that Portland is a rugby black hole when the West Coast as a whole is arguably the strongest rugby region in the Americas outside Argentina. Particularly when Portland already has some strong support for niche sports like soccer(Portland Timbers) and hockey(Portland Winterhawks)

Seattle(Washington) and San Diego(Southern California) are founding members of MLR, Vancouver(British Columbia) is pushing to join next year and Northern California could field a contending team just about any time they choose. A Portland team would look right at home alongside those 4 aesthetically like they do in MLS. Maybe someday they'll get their shit together.

Postby 4N » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 15:02

Yeah Portland could become a good rugby market with the right marketing approach I think. Timbers stadium has a small pitch but they should just make an exception like with Sam Boyd in Vegas.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 15:28

Buffalo wrote:
Tobar wrote:Portland is also a small town compared to Seattle. I visited Seattle once and spoke to some Portlanders who marveled at the size of Seattle. Considering the fact that I live in NYC, I was a bit taken aback by their comments.

Portland is like the size of Vancouver, population wise. Both the actual cities and their respective metro areas. Seattle is definitely bigger than both though. It just irks me that Portland is a rugby black hole when the West Coast as a whole is arguably the strongest rugby region in the Americas outside Argentina. Particularly when Portland already has some strong support for niche sports like soccer(Portland Timbers) and hockey(Portland Winterhawks)

Seattle(Washington) and San Diego(Southern California) are founding members of MLR, Vancouver(British Columbia) is pushing to join next year and Northern California could field a contending team just about any time they choose. A Portland team would look right at home alongside those 4 aesthetically like they do in MLS. Maybe someday they'll get their shit together.

I don’t know the specifics but apparently there is a sharp divide in the Oregon Rugby community and lots of people hate each other. I don’t know what started it but this is probably part of the reason.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 16:18

Buffalo wrote:

I don't know on the Men's side. But Oregon Youth Rugby is slowly building under Jenn Heinrich. In addition to that the women's side of the House is very strong considering the lack of total population. ORSU fields a WPL side and a Women's D2 side (No women's DI rugby in PNRFU).

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 04:23

Coloradoan wrote:There is no good venue for USA Rugby in Seattle unless it is against a marquee opponent as the MLS team there has been so successful that they never built one of those 20-30k venues like most other cities did. They can certainly learn something about promotion from MLR though.

Doesn't the Sea Hawks stadiums convert to an MLS size stadium like BC Place? Or do the Sounders place elsewhere now?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 04:37

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:There is no good venue for USA Rugby in Seattle unless it is against a marquee opponent as the MLS team there has been so successful that they never built one of those 20-30k venues like most other cities did. They can certainly learn something about promotion from MLR though.

Doesn't the Sea Hawks stadiums convert to an MLS size stadium like BC Place? Or do the Sounders place elsewhere now?

Century Link does cover the upper deck, but I wouldn't call that a conversion.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 17:39

This is what they do. The stadium still seats about 30-40,000 so that’s still too big.

https://goo.gl/images/Ma3Y9V

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 01:20

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 01:30

Man, you'd think the Arrows would have worn their alternate jersey.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 07 Apr 2018, 02:02

Don't think they have one, tbh.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum