Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 27 Mar 2018, 16:31

victorsra wrote:Yep, but soccer in 1996 was much bigger than rugby in 2018, am I right? And had previous experiences with professional leagues.

However means of access for fans to a professional league are much easier now than they were in 1996. Both MLS and MLR were picked up by ESPN and ABC/CBS Sports, respectively, but there was hardly any internet in the 90s. It cannot be stressed enough how much the internet helps in marketing and showing the league. Those 20 years in technological development are huge.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 27 Mar 2018, 20:52

YamahaKiwi wrote:Strobro, you said Mystics would get busted and I agreed, so wasn't surprised to see suc,h a one-sided game. I know the NYC-Boston rivalry is a big thing but if Boston wants to join MLR, seems they gotta long way to go. For one thing they have to have all the best players in the Boston NE area (though does Boston really turn out many top players? I don't remember people talking about loads of great talent coming out of there) + imports. Mystic players only. Wouldn't seem to be onto a winning thing. They like NYC need to bring all the clubs together.

Historically the Northeast has been strong in Club Rugby, however when you look at the rosters that is from imports whether those guys are recruited from other parts of the country or from other parts of the world. Has the Boston area teams developed a lot of Eagles, yes, but for the most part they've been imported players from overseas. Most of the guys who came up with a little bit of experience in their youth played out west or the NY/NJ area. Mystic imported just this year: Leopino Maupese (Auckland Academy), Micheal Kaivelata (Auckland Academy), Santiago Bertranou (Los Tordos, Argentina), Matias De Paolis (Los Tordos, Argentina) and Paulo Aukuso (Rugby Olympique-Grasse France). All of these guys are under 25, and the two guys from Auckland are just 20. So I'd think they're going to be building blocks but that really doesn't matter as seen by the score.

When it comes to Finishing for Houston, yeah, we're going to talk about that. I did speak with Coach Fitzpatrick and he was not enthused about the performance.

When it comes to branding. RUNY and AER will both be rebranding in 2019.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 29 Mar 2018, 08:51

Tobar wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:Just one thing (and sorry it's ot), in last week's podcast you mentioned Georgia being too cold for November rugby. Sorry but that's just not correct. I went there for Japan v Georgia in Tbilisi in early-mid November 2016 and it was still pretty pleasant at that time (double digits centigrade), and also for the few days I was in Kutaisi before heading back to Tbilisi for the game. I'm sure it's a darn sight warmer than Dublin & Edinburgh in November! And it contrasted with the snowstorm I flew back into Kiev to! Being at a significantly more southern latitude than a lot of European capitals it'd definitely be one of the warmer November European rugby venues.

I think I was the one who brought this up on the pod, mostly as a joke. That was because USvGeorgia played in the state of Georgia in the summer (when it's well above 80 F, 26 C) and the country in November, when it does appear to be pleasant in the 40s/50s F, 10 C. Just a little joke by me there though.

And for the EOD podcast guys...here's a trend for you to discuss. Sabercats seem to have developed a knack for giving up often significant leads to draw or lose games. Last quarter woes are definitely a trend their coaches will want to get rid of.

We've definitely mentioned it before but that would be something to look more into. I'll have to see the trends of first half vs second half for the boys.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Sorry for taking the joke about Georgia too literally. Definitely a place I'd recommend fellow forum members to visit, possibly even in November :)

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 29 Mar 2018, 09:02

TheStroBro wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:Strobro, you said Mystics would get busted and I agreed, so wasn't surprised to see suc,h a one-sided game. I know the NYC-Boston rivalry is a big thing but if Boston wants to join MLR, seems they gotta long way to go. For one thing they have to have all the best players in the Boston NE area (though does Boston really turn out many top players? I don't remember people talking about loads of great talent coming out of there) + imports. Mystic players only. Wouldn't seem to be onto a winning thing. They like NYC need to bring all the clubs together.

Historically the Northeast has been strong in Club Rugby, however when you look at the rosters that is from imports whether those guys are recruited from other parts of the country or from other parts of the world. Has the Boston area teams developed a lot of Eagles, yes, but for the most part they've been imported players from overseas. Most of the guys who came up with a little bit of experience in their youth played out west or the NY/NJ area. Mystic imported just this year: Leopino Maupese (Auckland Academy), Micheal Kaivelata (Auckland Academy), Santiago Bertranou (Los Tordos, Argentina), Matias De Paolis (Los Tordos, Argentina) and Paulo Aukuso (Rugby Olympique-Grasse France). All of these guys are under 25, and the two guys from Auckland are just 20. So I'd think they're going to be building blocks but that really doesn't matter as seen by the score.

When it comes to Finishing for Houston, yeah, we're going to talk about that. I did speak with Coach Fitzpatrick and he was not enthused about the performance.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, homegrown Eagle talent not really overflowing. I think in the Super League years, Boston was not a main challenger for the silverware either. So I have concerns about their talent base, and overall quality. To me, they'd probably be the team that would need the most outside talent help.

Yeah, I doubt Fitzpatrick wants to become the Tana Umaga of MRL with a team that regularly blows handy leads in the final quarter. If I was Sabercats coach I'd be very "unenthused" by that reocurring aspect of my team's play. If we're frank, Sabercats had healthy leads in three of four games they lost/drew and probably should've won 3 of those 4 games (Uruguay being the exception). Poor finishing could easily cost them some games in [EDIT:MLR] that on reflection should've been Ws on the record and having a 0.500 or better season.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Thu, 29 Mar 2018, 09:09

YamahaKiwi wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Thanks for the info. Like I said, homegrown Eagle talent not really overflowing. I think in the Super League years, Boston was not a main challenger for the silverware either. So I have concerns about their talent base, and overall quality. To me, they'd probably be the team that would need the most outside talent help.

Yeah, I doubt Fitzpatrick wants to become the Tana Umaga of MRL with a team that regularly blows handy leads in the final quarter. If we're frank, Sabercats had healthy leads in three of four games they lost/drew and probably should've won 3 of those 4 games (Uruguay being the exception). Poor finishing could easily cost them some games in MRL that on reflection should've been Ws on the record and having a 0.500 or better season.

Pet peeve alert: MLR YamahaKiwi, not MRL!!

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 29 Mar 2018, 09:30

Oops, sorry. It's 10.30pm here and I'm tired after a long day at work. The tiredness got the better of me on that one.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 17:12

Mika Kruse from Glendale sure looks like one to watch.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 18:41

The production quality definitely hid some of the poor play of a pre-season fixture for the uninitiated.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 20:29

With their being so many in Utah last night are they likely to play more games at Rio Tinto considering the stadium they play in only holds 5,000. BTW everything I have seen so far as regard to MLR looks really impressive

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 21:23

Grayday88 wrote:With their being so many in Utah last night are they likely to play more games at Rio Tinto considering the stadium they play in only holds 5,000. BTW everything I have seen so far as regard to MLR looks really impressive

Houston's first pre-season match had 5300, it has died down to an average of 25-2800. So If they got 9 last night but average 4k this season we're in good hands.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 22:02

Even still crowds of around 2500 would be a great start for the MLR

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 01:29

Seattle Seawolves sold all his 1800 season tickets aslo utah warriors announced 9186 people in their pre season game against glendale raptors

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 02:25

Very encouraging signs for this league, more than Pro Rugby that's for certain. Anything averaging 3,000 for the first season would be an absolute win for sure and an excellent foundation moving forward. Even RUNY has started positively and they don't join until next year.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 04:48

thatrugbyguy wrote:Very encouraging signs for this league, more than Pro Rugby that's for certain. Anything averaging 3,000 for the first season would be an absolute win for sure and an excellent foundation moving forward. Even RUNY has started positively and they don't join until next year.

With how things are trending I think they may average 3,000+ which would be a really solid start for the league.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 07:54

From the limited pre-season matches, new players that could be rising public awareness or at least on the Eagles radar (if not for 2019, for 2023):

Mika Kruse (Glendale)
Fefita (Glendale)
Zamudio (SD)
Yungert (NOLA)

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 10:07

Coloradoan wrote:Mika Kruse from Glendale sure looks like one to watch.

+1 on that.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 10:15

Working Class Rugger wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Very encouraging signs for this league, more than Pro Rugby that's for certain. Anything averaging 3,000 for the first season would be an absolute win for sure and an excellent foundation moving forward. Even RUNY has started positively and they don't join until next year.

With how things are trending I think they may average 3,000+ which would be a really solid start for the league.

And the Japan Top League has been going now since 2003 and probably is only about that on average as though there's been a few games at around 10K and plus the last few years, most games are still around 4K + but with the majority of games being double headers in TL the actual average per game would only be 2-2.5K or some days even less as in more like PRO's average. Longterm, just because the MLR teams are bonafide clubs, I'm actually more confident that it can be bigger than the TL if that latter league doesn't jettison corporate teams that have limited general public appeal.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 11:09

Even with moderate success MLR could(?) easily(???) become the 5th largest RU league by revenue/value in the world, behind England, France, South Africa, Ireland(?).

Were this to happen, MLR would become a real magnet for foreign players hoping to do something they enjoy in a great country and get well paid for it. Is this likely to impact T2/T3 countries that rely on the expat players to bolster their national teams? In a way I hope so as this would force organic growth in these countries so we see truer levels of national team standings, and growth for more solid foundations.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 16:50

MLR has a cap of 5 foreign players for match day rosters so there won’t be a flood of international players getting in. We’ve yet to see exactly what qualifies as an international player (Eagles eligibility or country of origin) so who knows what will happen.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 17:51

The Top 4 leagues are Top 14, Premiership, PRO14 and Super Rugby.

To be the fifth MLR must be better than the Japanese Top League, the Italian Eccellenza, South African Currie Cup, Australian NRC, New Zealand MItre10 Cup (NPC) and the second divisions of France (Pro D2) and England (RFU Championship)... the difference between them and MLR is that all those leagues are behind some league or team in their own countries. If you don't consider those second tiers, yes, MLR can become quickly the 5th league.

Although I don't see the Top League as a second tier for the Sunwolves... and it has money and international players....
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 14:28

If the South American league gets up in the next year or two then we'll have professional domestic rugby competitions across all the continents for the first time in the games history. That will be a big moment in the sports history.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 08:05

Might be a stupid question, but when will this kick off? It's April and I haven't seen any schedules for real league games yet.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 08:16

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 08:21

Thanks. Time for somebody to edit wikipedia at least with a starting date and hopefully the create events to that on facebook. I mean it is under two weeks to go. Is this more advertised by the clubs?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 08:29

MLR has their own website and social media so much more news there. All the teams also have their own sites and social media (click on the team logos on the MLR site to be directed to the team's sites). Plus guys on this forum, Strobro, Tobar and some others have created the mlr reddit page https://www.reddit.com/r/MLRugby/ and their own podcast with heavy mlr content https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/04/earful-of-dirt-ep30-just-three-weeks.html. On the reddit page and mlr website and mlr social media you can see some of media coverage and team launches for local media that's taken place. That should keep you happy :)

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum