Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 12:02

I think that would be close to making it the second most watched league in the world !!!

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 12:27

yeah, would be nice to see the actual figures.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 12:33

rey200 wrote:yeah, would be nice to see the actual figures.

A separate guy said that it was apparently the top rating sports programme on CBSSN, so I reckon that the numbers will be not be that far off.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 14:28

sammo wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Btw. how are the tv ratings for the MLR.

This (https://i.imgur.com/7UIumVB.jpg) was handed out at a recent game (thanks to cr4yol4 on Reddit for the image). The bottom number in particular seems insanely high, but I'm encouraged nonetheless

I've seen mention of the top figures of 75k and above but it was assumed that it was total across all platforms. Which everyone was happy with.

If the second figure is even remotely true then that would be remarkable.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 14:42

There's no way MLR is getting over a million people per match to watch it on CBSSN. I would be very skeptical of that claim.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 16:39

Total audience across all games on that platform perhaps?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 17:15

As far as I know, CBS Sports Network is not Nielsen rated.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 17:34

I don't know to be honest. World Rugby keeps saying that there are 40MM rugby fans in this country and it hasn't translated to sold out test matches for the US in any locale. But there seems to be some type of demand.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 17:46

I’m from NYC and January/February would suck but it’s doable. I’ve also played/practiced on turf field in this weather and it also sucks but isn’t impossible. I’m pretty sure Gaelic Park is turf.

They did this a bit for this season - alternate the cold and hot locations. I’m pretty sure there are no more home games in Houston and NOLA this year. They could start week 3 in NYC which would still be pretty cold but can shift more of the home games for the warmer months.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 17:47

Blurandski wrote:

A separate guy said that it was apparently the top rating sports programme on CBSSN, so I reckon that the numbers will be not be that far off.

I think he meant if those were the numbers

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 18:55

Tobar wrote:
Blurandski wrote:

I think he meant if those were the numbers

The post was: 'I have a friend in the sales department at CBS proper, he gets ratings for the entire networks so when sponsors want to be on cbs/cbs sports they may not have a particular sport or show but want the highest rating slots. Anyway he said as of 4 weeks ago MLR is now the highest ranking show on all of CBS Sports. So we are doing very well on that platform.'

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 22:29

TheStroBro wrote:Pretty sure not Canadian teams for year 2 atm, need to make some calls to get some info to build a better picture.

Say what now? :(
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 01:37

jonny24 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Pretty sure not Canadian teams for year 2 atm, need to make some calls to get some info to build a better picture.

Say what now? :(

As of now - it seems like Rugby Canada has yet to sanction it and is hesitant to do so, likely because of Doug Schoninger. Grant mentioned this on Reddit.

National Flag:

Postby Stilger » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 23:15

Completely new to the sport.

Just to compare MLR's $350k salary cap, I understand Super Rugby is $5 million Australian dollars and England is 7.8 million pounds. What are the other top leagues at? What is considered "healthy" for rugby?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 23:45

Stilger wrote:Completely new to the sport.

Just to compare MLR's $350k salary cap, I understand Super Rugby is $5 million Australian dollars and England is 7.8 million pounds. What are the other top leagues at? What is considered "healthy" for rugby?

The Top 14 has a cap of $10 million Euros from memory but many of the top clubs spend significantly more. Some double that. But they also have significantly larger squads than every other league. In regards to what is healthy. That's debatable.

National Flag:

Postby Stilger » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 00:04

Working Class Rugger wrote:

The Top 14 has a cap of $10 million Euros from memory but many of the top clubs spend significantly more. Some double that. But they also have significantly larger squads than every other league. In regards to what is healthy. That's debatable.

If they spend more... is it really a cap?

Really what I'm trying to figure out is where does MLR need to be in terms of revenue to compete with the big leagues in Europe and Super Rugby for top players, or at least average starters. Then having an idea of such a figure, is it achievable or a pipe dream?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 00:25

Stilger wrote:

Really what I'm trying to figure out is where does MLR need to be in terms of revenue to compete with the big leagues in Europe and Super Rugby for top players, or at least average starters. Then having an idea of such a figure, is it achievable or a pipe dream?

$3m USD is where I'd expect star USNT players to be retained, and for the teams to be fully pro and pull a decent number of starters over. However MLR currently (intentionally) has load of work-arounds. For example the $350k only applies to in-season games, pre-season games don't count (so you can frontload contracts). In addition players can be employed in different roles by the clubs (see: Kolinisau, Murphy, Trouville, Hewitt, Turnbull, Elkins all being academy coaches, who will probably receive almost nothing for playing, hence have little impact on the salary cap).

Therefore realistically MLR is already competing against the T1 clubs, Murphy, Kolinisau, Foden have all turned down offers from them as far as I know. $5m salary cap and it'll be up there with the lower end Pro14, Super Rugby clubs, and the top end of the Championship & ProD2. $15m and it'll be absolute carnage in the rugby world.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 01:32

Stilger wrote:

That is the question.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 01:37

Blurandski wrote:
Stilger wrote:

$3m USD is where I'd expect star USNT players to be retained, and for the teams to be fully pro and pull a decent number of starters over. However MLR currently (intentionally) has load of work-arounds. For example the $350k only applies to in-season games, pre-season games don't count (so you can frontload contracts). In addition players can be employed in different roles by the clubs (see: Kolinisau, Murphy, Trouville, Hewitt, Turnbull, Elkins all being academy coaches, who will probably receive almost nothing for playing, hence have little impact on the salary cap).

Therefore realistically MLR is already competing against the T1 clubs, Murphy, Kolinisau, Foden have all turned down offers from them as far as I know. $5m salary cap and it'll be up there with the lower end Pro14, Super Rugby clubs, and the top end of the Championship & ProD2. $15m and it'll be absolute carnage in the rugby world.

I'd say at $3m you're at Top League level. Most likely the top end of that league. At $5m you're well and truly competing with SR and the Pro 14. Around $10m you're in the realms of the English Premiership. Between $12-15m you're competing with the Top 14.

Anything above $15m + and you're in a league of your own. Which if the recent TV figures are to be believed isn't as far out as you may believe.

NB: I'm talking USD and their relative strength against the respective currencies they will be competing against. Roughly.

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 04:18

Stilger wrote:

That is the question.

I think it's pretty hard to tell for the t1 leagues due to the inflation caused by national team member payments and subsidies by unions for the pro 14 and super rugby. There's no way in hell that the Italians, Scots and Welsh can afford their wage bill with their league revenues, the Irish subsidise large top ups as well to keep the national team stars.

Premiership is hard to tell as well due to EPS payments and credits. The top 14 is probably the truest market although depending on who you ask the financial rules are very strict or very loose.

It should fairly straightforward to measure MLR's revenue to salary levels as there will not be this interference and the clubs will have to survive as businesses after this initial 3 year runway.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 11:28

You are confusing their total budgets with their first team wage budgets. Total budgets can be anything up to or over €30m++ the salary cap for the 35 first team players is capped at around €10m. Any one on an "Espoirs" contract, which is below €50k and younger than 23, is not included. Typically a French club would run an entire 30 man squad at that age group.

National Flag:

Postby Stilger » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 21:08

I think my second question is, is even $3m possible in the United States?

If the average team payroll in the top soccer league in England is above $100m (USD), and the top Rugby league there is only about $11m (USD), or about a tenth, how popular can we really expect the sport to get in the United States?

Remember MLS (Which I've followed the business side of closely since 2003) has only achieved an average team payroll of $11m.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 16 Jun 2018, 00:59

Stilger wrote:I think my second question is, is even $3m possible in the United States?

If the average team payroll in the top soccer league in England is above $100m (USD), and the top Rugby league there is only about $11m (USD), or about a tenth, how popular can we really expect the sport to get in the United States?

Remember MLS (Which I've followed the business side of closely since 2003) has only achieved an average team payroll of $11m.

What's your timeline for $3MM? Official salary cap is going up next year. How much I'm unsure. But it will be over $500k. Once we're at minimum salaries of $20k things will change significantly. Yet, we're not trying to compete with T1 nations for their players. We're trying to grow the game slowly and raise the standard of our current players.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 10:27

What happens after Round 10? Does the top team wins the championship? Will Glendale be crowned champions or is there a final?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 11:54

Thomas wrote:What happens after Round 10? Does the top team wins the championship? Will Glendale be crowned champions or is there a final?

Four team finals series with the semi-finals to be both hosted in Glendale and the final in San Diego.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum