Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Higgik » Mon, 15 Jan 2018, 23:31

If the Jaguares were to slit and form anther team based in Córdoba, then both could enter MLR.
Agree that standards are lower, but it is where the money is in the longer term. SA economy struggling, NZ and Aus not big enough to support further expansion of SR, hence the addition of Japan.

MLR should become the Super Rugby of America, with the sort of money they could invest in many SH players and the league would flourish, look at how MLS is developing with some great international players, although us team now struggling.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 15 Jan 2018, 23:59

Jaguares would need at least another team in Argentina/South America to make it viable if they were to shift. Thing is though Argentina want to be competing with NZ and SA on a regular basis and moving the Jags to MLR would be a step down in class they don't want to take. I do think the possibility exists for MLR to include South American teams in the future should all go well in the first few years. Travel isn't that big an issue, it's more the timezone changes that can hurt teams like what happens to SA in SR.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 00:15

Why does everyone assume this league is going to explode ? The reality is that Rugby will likely continue to be a niche sport in the Americas.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 00:26

We're all eternal optimists in here I guess! Haha! In all seriousness, I don't think anyone is putting the cart before the horse, just having some fun speculation. I think everyone's aware the league is going to take several years for it to find its footing and I don't think anyone is believing rugby is suddenly going to take over the nation. It may be a case where the 10 or 12 teams that enter the league over the next 2 seasons are the same ones playing a decade from now. It's all in good fun as far as I'm concerned.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 00:31

MLR should just stick to America and Canada and avoid expansion in Latin America. I'm not opposed to some of their better players signing with MLR teams but there's enough players globally and cities locally(that fans would actually care about at that) to fill out the league. Let the South Americans start their own if there's any interest. Something like two from Buenos Aires, four from the rest of Argentina, two Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and maybe Colombia?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 00:47

That would be a cool option too. Could maybe do a Americas Championship game between the two league winners at the end of the season.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 01:21

Yeah, no offence to South America, but I wouldn't really have any interest in regular league matches against them.

Especially if its union-run setups like in Super Rugby. I like the way MLR is going with independent clubs.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 02:04

Such a league would cost a lot with long travels... that would not be a good investment. South America need its own league. Argentina provides everything in terms of quality rugby Uruguay, Brazil, Chile etc need. And Argentina don't really need USA and Canada.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 03:12

Agreed with getting South America its own league. MLR needs to keep travel costs down and keep a format relatively familiar to North American sports fans. Adding South American teams would go away from both of those things.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 05:11

No reason to try and hack up the Jaguares or get a transcontinental league going. MLR should be strictly US and Canada (with a very odd chance of Mexico having a team) and South America should have its own league. The US is far and away large enough to host its own league and still have cities clamoring for a team. South America also has plenty of places that need more development so the league would be extraordinarily lopsided, outside of Argentina.

South America has the benefit of having Argentina which desperately needs more competitions available for its lower levels as well as Agustin Pichot in World Rugby. In the past few years alone, World Rugby has placed a lot more attention on growing the sport in South America and ensuring that the national teams actually have competitions available. I would rather see that league grow on its own as many of the nations have a lot more in common than they do with US/Canada. The ideal situation would be to have a Champions Cup competition between North and South America - it would be very top heavy and Argentina's team(s) would likely win pretty handily but that would change after some time. Funny how this is coming up on 2 different threads at the same time...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 05:53

Meh forget expanding to Mexico. Give me the Bermuda Triangles.

Really though, I was talking with ruck and suggested that MLR should probably top out at around 24-28 teams. That's pushing it hard and decades away from being a real long term possibility. MLR will almost certainly never be a huge money league in North America but could find itself a stronghold and do decently.

My thoughts on locations for a mostly realistic 28 team league many many many years down the road. It gives you a very widespread presence continent wide with numerous options for regional rivalries which can be real money makers.

MLR West: Alberta, Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Portland, San Jose, Sacramento, San Diego, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Denver, Houston, Austin, Dallas

MLR East: Toronto, Montreal, Hamilton, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Columbus, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 15:50

None of the overseas leagues in Rugby are what we call big money leagues. When the highest salaries are topping $1MM with Itoje's new deal, getting to a point where full time wages are sustainable to could happen soon and in 20 years the wages can compete well enough to where the Eagles and Les Rouge are pretty good sides.

I just see Mexico City based on some of the business ties of certain owners in the league. A Champions Cup Competition with a South American League would be cool...let's just not do home and away in pool play. However, that is cart before the horse, let's get to year five where the salaries in season can support 35 FT players.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 16:50

Exactly, lets go a step at a time.

1st. Get this season done to a high standard.

Then concentrate on keeping the momentum going to have a second season. Not worry about having 30 teams in 20 years.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 19 Jan 2018, 19:48

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 21:26

NOLA Gold Defeats Capital 68-15

Match Article: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/01/no ... pital.html

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 21 Jan 2018, 16:16

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 21 Jan 2018, 19:26

Highlights of the match???

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 22 Jan 2018, 15:36

Supposedly Uruguay asked for no match video to avoid providing any scouting by Canada.

Sounds like a good match. Although a bit surprised the Sabercats kept it this close after losing to UBCOB Ravens

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 22 Jan 2018, 16:45

Suiram wrote:Supposedly Uruguay asked for no match video to avoid providing any scouting by Canada.

Sounds like a good match. Although a bit surprised the Sabercats kept it this close after losing to UBCOB Ravens

That's too bad. They should have just filmed it and released it after the RWCQ series is over.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 22 Jan 2018, 17:52

I think there is a film of this match, but uh...

I'm told that the Canadian Staff was at the match anyways...stopped in Houston on their way home from England.

10PM EST/7PM PST Monday EP 20 of EOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at1L_xOHfcE

12PM EST/10AM MST Tuesday EP11 Lineouts-Will Magie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwsx4Sg7WQ

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 17:52

Nice seeing the British media pick up on the league. Don’t want to get ahead of myself but things sound promising.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... by-uruguay

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 23 Jan 2018, 19:53

The Guardian has written a couple of pieces on MLR so far, mostly by Martin Pengelly who is based in NYC and has become friendly with the guys for RCNY. This ones written by a different writer so that’s cool to see too. Every time they write about the league there is always a spike in interest from overseas.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 24 Jan 2018, 12:42

New York will play at Gaelic Park.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JCLayfield/s ... 8336555008

I had no idea JBL was involved!

Postby 4N » Wed, 24 Jan 2018, 14:53

Mike Tolkien too. What a winning team. :lol:

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 24 Jan 2018, 21:09

AFAIK he's just involved for the temporary team. Matt McCarthy emphasized that in his interview with James Kennedy, Mike Tolkien and Kevin McCorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxEKPHk5d4

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum