Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 14:47

All I suggested was that one day they may be able to play each other for a preseason match. That’s hardly a ridiculous statement.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 15:26

Salta wrote:
Tobar wrote:Seattle and Houston are hosting Mitre 10 clubs. Perhaps one day they can play against Super Rugby teams in the preseason, that’d be a swell experience.

No, there are 100 points of difference, stop flying.

Contrary to popular belief, the New Zealand National Provincial Championships is not a club competition but actually involves provincial teams in a national championships. The provinces themselves, of which there are 26, comprise 520 clubs (averaging precisely 20 each :geek: ), some further divided into regional districts. There is no national club championship in New Zealand. Attempts were made to get something along those lines off the ground in the late amateur era, with the club champions of the nation's top four provinces competing in a mini-tournament in the Mid-80s. Murray Mexted's Wellington Axemen felled Auckland's Ponsonby in the final and Miss Universe 1983 was on hand to award the trophy to the aforementioned mustachioed captain (true story). But the project was discontinued and there remains no national club championship to this day. Believe it or not, there is a distance of 1800 kms separating New Zealand's northernmost provincial capital (Whangarei) from its southernmost (Invercargill), including a 20-km strait. The provinces themselves were very powerful in the amateur era, often beating touring 5 Nations teams by wide margins. Indeed, this was the basis of Southern Hemisphere (NZ/SA) supremacy for most of the 20th century. But now they serve as feeder teams to the Super Rugby franchises, which have supplanted them in the latter regard.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 15:55

Tobar wrote:All I suggested was that one day they may be able to play each other for a preseason match. That’s hardly a ridiculous statement.

I didn't say it's ridiculous, I say it's not possible. Playing with NRC teams (with which teams?) Is already a fantastic experience.

Postby 4N » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 16:00

Contrary to popular belief, the New Zealand National Provincial Championships is not a club competition but actually involves provincial teams in a national championships.

Contrary to popular belief? Huh? Who thinks the National Provincial Championship is club based? :lol:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 16:41

The map by Edgar is a lie. New Zealand is similar in size to the United Kingdom. It is not huge as his map suggests.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 21:02

https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MT ... TY0Njk0NjA)Mw

Nope he's right.

The south island alone is roughly the size of GB.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 21:56

sk 88 wrote:https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTQ3OTIwNDc.MTI5MjA2NDE*MjEyNTAyNzM(MTUzMjIwNTA~!NZ*MTY1NzQ5NDk.MTY0Njk0NjA)Mw

Nope he's right.

Why are you lying? Great Britain is bigger than South Island by far. Great Britain 80,823 sq miles. South Island 58,084 sq miles.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 22:02

sk 88 wrote:https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTQ3OTIwNDc.MTI5MjA2NDE*MjEyNTAyNzM(MTUzMjIwNTA~!NZ*MTY1NzQ5NDk.MTY0Njk0NjA)Mw

Nope he's right.

England and Wales 58,359 sq miles
South Island 58,084 sq miles

England and Wales is larger than South Island.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 22:17

Salta wrote:
Tobar wrote:All I suggested was that one day they may be able to play each other for a preseason match. That’s hardly a ridiculous statement.

I didn't say it's ridiculous, I say it's not possible. Playing with NRC teams (with which teams?) Is already a fantastic experience.

You think that it will never be possible, even 30 years from now? Okay then.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Sat, 21 Dec 2019, 00:15

Tobar wrote:
Salta wrote:

You think that it will never be possible, even 30 years from now? Okay then.

By then we will all be dead.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Sat, 21 Dec 2019, 19:06

Damn, I mean I don't eat the best, but that's a bold prediction.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 21 Dec 2019, 19:49

Chester-Donnelly wrote:

Nope he's right.

England and Wales 58,359 sq miles
South Island 58,084 sq miles

England and Wales is larger than South Island.

If you enter that website you'll see it is not a lie, it is very nice in fact. GB is wider in most parts, that's why the area is a bit bigger. But NZ é longer north to south. Place NZ above GB and we'll see that.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 00:12

Edgar wrote:
Salta wrote:
Tobar wrote:Seattle and Houston are hosting Mitre 10 clubs. Perhaps one day they can play against Super Rugby teams in the preseason, that’d be a swell experience.

No, there are 100 points of difference, stop flying.

Contrary to popular belief, the New Zealand National Provincial Championships is not a club competition but actually involves provincial teams in a national championships. The provinces themselves, of which there are 26, comprise 520 clubs (averaging precisely 20 each :geek: ), some further divided into regional districts. There is no national club championship in New Zealand. Attempts were made to get something along those lines off the ground in the late amateur era, with the club champions of the nation's top four provinces competing in a mini-tournament in the Mid-80s. Murray Mexted's Wellington Axemen felled Auckland's Ponsonby in the final and Miss Universe 1983 was on hand to award the trophy to the aforementioned mustachioed captain (true story). But the project was discontinued and there remains no national club championship to this day. Believe it or not, there is a distance of 1800 kms separating New Zealand's northernmost provincial capital (Whangarei) from its southernmost (Invercargill), including a 20-km strait. The provinces themselves were very powerful in the amateur era, often beating touring 5 Nations teams by wide margins. Indeed, this was the basis of Southern Hemisphere (NZ/SA) supremacy for most of the 20th century. But now they serve as feeder teams to the Super Rugby franchises, which have supplanted them in the latter regard.

Homie, it's a professional competition. Whether there are clubs under it, it's mostly irrelevant.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 03:55

Salta wrote:

Australia and New Zealand have been pretty vocal about growing their brands and there was a planned pre season game between the Bulls and Stormers. Although it didn't go through it shows the intent is there. It would be a commercial opportunity. You're right though, on a strictly performance basis 2nd tier SANZAR is more at the level but that's not what I was talking about.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 08:06

Whether there are clubs under it, it's mostly irrelevant.

No, it doesn't really matter. I was just replying to the description of the Mitre 10 Cup as a club competition, a misnomer also common in the British press. In fact, I think MLR teams would be a fairly good match for some of the second division provinces involved in Mitre 10, especially at home. The first division provincial sides would be more around top European club level.

It is not huge as his map suggests.

It's not that New Zealand is huge, just that Europe is geographically tiny - at least, Europe minus Russia :D

New Zealand is the antipodes of Spain and France. The northern tip would actually lie in Morocco. Here's how North America would match up. The southernmost point of Canada, Windsor, is actually on the same latitude as Barcelona, Rome and Istanbul. 50% of Canada's population actually lives south of Milan :shock:

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 16:07

So are any other Arrows fans starting to get worried for this season? I keep seeing other teams signing overseas pros, and Toronto keeps announcing Marshall Premiership guys as their starters...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 16:59

Toronto has signed a couple of decent players. Nothing amazing but they already had a decent squad as the de facto Canadian team.

Postby 4N » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 17:40

I was just replying to the description of the Mitre 10 Cup as a club competition, a misnomer also common in the British press.

People sometimes use “club” as shorthand for a domestic side. No one thinks the Mitre 10 is club based.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re:

Postby jonny24 » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 21:59

grande wrote:So are any other Arrows fans starting to get worried for this season? I keep seeing other teams signing overseas pros, and Toronto keeps announcing Marshall Premiership guys as their starters...

I think there's a chance they get caught out a bit. We'll find out if their longer-term cohesiveness keeps up with the high profile pieces other teams have added.

Still, we have young Mitre 10 talent at prop, flyhalf, and fullback. They're not big names but should add decent rugby Iq to the team overall.

I wonder if we also see a payoff down the road, by going with lesser known names they may stay around longer to keep continuity going.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re:

Postby Salta » Mon, 23 Dec 2019, 20:49

grande wrote:So are any other Arrows fans starting to get worried for this season? I keep seeing other teams signing overseas pros, and Toronto keeps announcing Marshall Premiership guys as their starters...

Tomás de la Vega has no marketing but he is perhaps the best flanker-number eight in the MLR.

National Flag:

Re:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 24 Dec 2019, 06:04

Their roster overall is pretty solid. They have a strategy that is meant for the long term to development of Canadian talent.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 17:01

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 16:09

Interesting partnership.
https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/majo ... artnership

The MLR might be the league to finally bring the level of the more or less sub-standard statistics in global rugby up.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 06:55

Houston SaberCats defeated at home last night by New Zealand provincial side Tasman Makos (top of the South Island), 19-29 - a more than respectable result which may suggest MLR is not that far off the pace. Not that too much can be read into a pre-season warmup, of course. Full match coverage now available on the MLR Facebook page. The Kiwis will take on Seattle next week, before rounding off their mini-tour against NOLA Gold in New Orleans. Mako is a type of shark, incidentally.

SCORING

HOUSTON 19
Tries – T. Loots (29’), T. Cadwallader (35’), D. Magno (63’)
Cons – S. Windsor 2/3 (30’, 36’)

TASMAN 29
Tries – S. Matenga (8’), J. Spowart (23’), C. Coventry (42’), S. Briggs (68’)
Cons – C. Morgan-Parata 1/2 (24’), S. Briggs 2/2 (43’, 69’)
Pens – S. Briggs 1/2 (59’)
Yellow cards – S. Matenga (31’), T. Sail (46’)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 21 Jan 2020, 13:34

What makes me so feel so positive about this league in a nutshell: the love for details that make a difference.

https://www.facebook.com/usmlr/photos/a ... 141928139/
I missed that the champions receive championship rings last year.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum