Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Unread postby TheStroBro » Tue, 03 Mar 2020, 05:59

thatrugbyguy wrote:This is honestly what I don't like about the conference systems in US sport. You can have the two best teams in the league in the once conference and not have them play each other in the final. It makes far more sense for the playoffs to be based on where teams finished overall, not a simple East / West split.

I'm totally not about a playoff system where the conference doesn't matter. Otherwise the conference has no purpose. This fits the US. Beats playing home and away in the Premiership and still having playoffs! :D

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 03 Mar 2020, 06:46

theDarky wrote:
victorsra wrote:Nobody knows how many teams qualify from each conference to the playoffs?

From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Major_League_Rugby_season

The playoffs have expanded from four teams in 2018 to six teams this year, with the top three teams from each conference qualifying. The second- and third-placed team from each conference will play each other in the conference semifinals, with the winner moving on to play the first-placed team in the conference finals,. The winners of the conference finals will play against each other in the final for the championship.

Interesting model. Would have thought taking the top 3 from each conference with the top seed from each progressing to the major semi finals and 2v3 cross conference qualifiers. That would be a fairly balanced set up.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Unread postby jonny24 » Tue, 03 Mar 2020, 18:41

thatrugbyguy wrote:This is honestly what I don't like about the conference systems in US sport. You can have the two best teams in the league in the once conference and not have them play each other in the final. It makes far more sense for the playoffs to be based on where teams finished overall, not a simple East / West split.

I get this sentiment, however since they don't play identical schedule you can't say "for sure" who the best teams are. Sure when it's only two conferences or when you get runaway leaders, but that won't be every year.

Some sort of crossover/wildcard option wouldn't be out of place either. CFL in considering conference winners take 1+2 seeds with the 4-6 being ranked regardless of conference.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Mar 2020, 21:19

TheStroBro wrote:

I'm totally not about a playoff system where the conference doesn't matter. Otherwise the conference has no purpose. This fits the US. Beats playing home and away in the Premiership and still having playoffs! :D

And how will be the 2020 MLR playoffs? Not a single word about it on MLR's website. Only source is dubious Wikipedia.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Unread postby Grzegorz B. » Tue, 03 Mar 2020, 22:27

victorsra wrote:And how will be the 2020 MLR playoffs? Not a single word about it on MLR's website. Only source is dubious Wikipedia.

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/mlr- ... ue-format/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 00:23

Thanks!

OMG, that's even worse. MLR final is on June 28th!!!

So, it is impossible to play MLR vs SLAR on June or July. Geee... those guys are promising without even being possible...

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Unread postby Grzegorz B. » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 07:26

victorsra wrote:OMG, that's even worse. MLR final is on June 28th!!!

The dates of play-off games has been probably changed - in fixtures on americasrugbynews.com they are one week earlier each: http://www.americasrugbynews.com/compet ... gue-rugby/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Unread postby jonny24 » Wed, 04 Mar 2020, 11:50

Yes if you read the article linked on that page, it mentions the season starting on Feb 15th, but it ended up starting Feb 8th.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 11:02

And that doesn't solve the SLAR vs MLR match. They promised it to June 20th.

Unread postby Raven » Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 12:38

Was it a promise, or a famous "there are plans for" a final game between both Champions?... let´s not forget that the venue thought / mentioned for this game was also Mexico....

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Unread postby jonny24 » Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 12:55

Raven wrote:Was it a promise, or a famous "there are plans for" a final game between both Champions?... let´s not forget that the venue thought / mentioned for this game was also Mexico....

Yeah, I won't be surprised, and wouldn't mind too much, if it doesn't happen this year. SLAR has enough challenges on its plate starting a new league full of new clubs.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 13:59

Not a promise. It is published in ESPN's fixtures page and was anounced by Sudamerica Rugby IIRC.

Unread postby Raven » Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 14:54

victorsra wrote:Not a promise. It is published in ESPN's fixtures page and was anounced by Sudamerica Rugby IIRC.

Wow. 2 very reliable sources! :lol:

But I do get your pov, whats the point of announcing something if you haven´t even checked the viability of it. Well, I can only think that they A) tried to make it more attractive, dragging a product that is taking off in the region and everybody in the Rugby environment knows about, B) they were in talks, never fully confirmed and someone "spilled the beans" with no official agreement.

I saw that interview with UAR´s president and for what I could gather, there was going to be a final, to be played "potentially" in Mexico, there was oging to be more new zealanders from Mitre 10, all teams were on board from the start (wasn´t the case with Corinthians) and Flash would be the kit provider for all teams (Ceibos and Selknam don´t have Flash...)

So I wouldn´t hold my breath.

He has a history of speaking a bit too much, I also remember when in talks about an Argie team in the Currie Cup he also never specified that they would play in the "First Division" and the Argentine team was referred to as Pampas XV... what could have been the return of a known name / brand, team with some sort of historiy in South African tournaments... but no.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 15:56

So how are the attendances? Apparently they aren't as open with them as at the beginning (or the guy filling up wikipedia has lost interest :D ).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 20:04

RugbyLiebe wrote:So how are the attendances? Apparently they aren't as open with them as at the beginning (or the guy filling up wikipedia has lost interest :D ).

I can only go from what I see on the Facebook stream but in general they look up on last season. Glendale most certainly. San Diego a bit, Seattle still going strong. NOLA up but difficult to tell by how much. Certainly more than last season. Atlanta drawing nice crowds as well. DC apparently got 4k to their first home game. The Texas teams are the hardest to gauge. Really no idea on those.

NY, NE Utah and Toronto haven't hosted any games yet so we'll have to wait and see

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Unread postby Edgar » Sun, 08 Mar 2020, 07:56

Wow, round of upsets so far! Seattle go down again, frontrunners Toronto beaten, and the Gilgronis pick up a win on the road!

More action today with Atlanta vs DC and NY v San Diego . . .

Standings: https://www.majorleague.rugby/standings/

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Unread postby sk 88 » Sun, 08 Mar 2020, 14:05

Seattle seem to be having a poor start to this season. Other teams getting better or are they starting slowly?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 08 Mar 2020, 16:44

sk 88 wrote:Seattle seem to be having a poor start to this season. Other teams getting better or are they starting slowly?

Think it's a case of everyone stepping it up while Seattle effectively has just stayed at the level they've been for the first couple of seasons. Which was good enough in seasons one and two. I reckon they've been caught on the hop so far this season.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Unread postby argie » Fri, 13 Mar 2020, 15:50

MLR's matches suspended for 30 days.
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... r-30-days/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Apr 2020, 22:44

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Apr 2020, 22:45

And unexpected (at the least for me):

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 09 Apr 2020, 23:57

victorsra wrote:And unexpected (at the least for me):

It's disappointing. They seem to be struggling with their new place in the world of the elite of North American Rugby. And the increasing levels of financial clout from other parties. Will be interesting to see where they go now.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Unread postby Duke of Earl » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 05:04

Colorado to leave MLR

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... gue-rugby/

This was rumoured at the start of the season but still disappointing to see a franchise leave , was excited at the progress of this league. Hopefully there is another franchise , my preference would be another Canadian team , waiting in the wings to take their place for next season.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 09:56

Duke of Earl wrote:Colorado to leave MLR

This was rumoured at the start of the season but still disappointing to see a franchise leave , was excited at the progress of this league. Hopefully there is another franchise , my preference would be another Canadian team , waiting in the wings to take their place for next season.

I agree. I British Columbia team would be fantastic for rugby in Canada and the Pacific Northwest. Rivalries are important in sport, and a BC team would be the natural rivals of Seattle Seawolves and Toronto Arrows.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Higgik » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 12:01

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Duke of Earl wrote:Colorado to leave MLR

I agree. I British Columbia team would be fantastic for rugby in Canada and the Pacific Northwest. Rivalries are important in sport, and a BC team would be the natural rivals of Seattle Seawolves and Toronto Arrows.

True would give PNW a great Derby and give Canada another team for development, especially in the West. Would still like 15 teams when expansion happens rather than 14, so 3 conferences of 5 playing 18 games.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum