Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 20:32

EP 24 is out: https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/ear ... te-of-mind

This week on Earful of Dirt, the guys talk through an exciting weekend of rugby, including matches between the USA Eagles and Chile, and the Sabercats vs. NYAC. The San Diego Legion has announced their staff. And they introduce Rugby United New York [RUNY], the newest addition to Major League Rugby.

Utah Warriors Welcome Wade Sherman to the Board: http://www.warriorsrugby.com/news/adobe ... -directors

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 24 Feb 2018, 06:25

Lineouts EP 16: Nishant Nereyeth and Kevin McCorry of Rugby United New York https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/lin ... d-new-york

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 16:36

EP 25 of the MLR Podcast is out: https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/ear ... ats-brazil

SD Legion had their Media Day Yesterday, some structural stuff came out.

Currently the league has 7 Full Members, and 2 Associate Members (RUNY+1 Unannounced), they intend to play the 2019 season with 10 Domestic teams and are looking at adding two Canadian Teams. Possibly Vancouver, although I'm hearing that after Vancouver RFC announced their bid there's now three total bids coming out of Vancouver. The other Canadian team that seems a shoe in Ontario. I think we need to get to the point very fast where the bid process is relatively public like in the other major leagues in this country.

The Salary Cap for FT Players in Year 1 is 350k. That's finally been meted out and published through various interviews with Dean Howes. If you only split that out across 10 players and don't include the pre-season stipend (undisclosed dollar value), and spread that across 10 players that's $35k/3.5 months of work. Which is a really good wage. The majority of the players are match fee players of course. But that doesn't stop the owners from utilizing other jobs within the organization or their networks for Job placement. And in fact I do not see anyone having issues making money. I would like for $35k to become the league minimum within 4 years, and at that point have a salary cap near $1.5MM. And for the most part, even if you put your entire squad at 35 players on FT, that's $10k which is more than every Single A Baseball Player earns on the average by $3k. That's been the line of demarcation for me.

Eventually there will be a college draft. For that to happen though, that will require the College Rugby Programs keep up with MLR Academies when it comes to providing a High Performance environment and hiring good coaches that are only coaching FT. For men's rugby that may be difficult, but we're well past the days of only Cal and BYU providing that environment. It will also require youth rugby to grow significantly over that period of time.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 17:38

I would like to see photos from all the stadiums to be used, to have an idea about which sort of structure MLR will have.... does anybody has photos? I know all venues are small, with around 5.000 places...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 17:49

Scroll down and it will show a list of the stadiums, from there use Google Images...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 17:57

I did that, but some have crap photos or nothing (like the one in New Orleans). My question is if someone have them in a more organized way :)
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 18:10

AFAIK, New Orleans are using a high school football stadium that's under construction. The owner sent his kids there, I think a couple of them are going to play for the Gold.

https://www.archbishopshaw.org/13625-2/

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 00:47

victorsra wrote:I did that, but some have crap photos or nothing (like the one in New Orleans). My question is if someone have them in a more organized way :)

Austin Elite-Nixon Lane (Stadium ATX)
Glendale Raptors-Infinity Park
Houston Sabercats-Dyer Stadium
NOLA Gold-Archbishop Shaw High School
San Diego Legion-Torero Stadium
Seattle Seawolves-Starfire Stadium
Utah Warriors-Zions Bank Stadium

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 06:42

Anyone comment on quality of Torero? Was a bit disappointed EOD podcast guys didn't talk about that at all when discussing SD legion in last podcast. Infact they really haven't gone into the venues much at all.

also Gaelic Park at only 2.5K seems bloody small even for MLR. Is the footprint of this (and other MLR stadiums big enough to expand? That's a worry for me if the league does well. Where do they go if they regularly sell out the very small stadiums most of them are using? I mean, the Seattle owner already said they have more than 2K season ticket holders so that's already half of Starfire sold each game before you even start selling single tickets. I'd be a little more comfortable if the stadiums were 5-8 K capacity each as that will leave space for growth in the next few years.

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 10:16

Yes I hope they don't go down the small boutique stadium, high ticket prices route a lot of pro rugby clubs follow.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 12:41

I think all teams are supposed to have plans for 5-7k seat stadiums in the works but not for year 1.

A review of the venues would be a good piece I think

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 15:57

YamahaKiwi wrote:Anyone comment on quality of Torero? Was a bit disappointed EOD podcast guys didn't talk about that at all when discussing SD legion in last podcast. Infact they really haven't gone into the venues much at all.

also Gaelic Park at only 2.5K seems bloody small even for MLR. Is the footprint of this (and other MLR stadiums big enough to expand? That's a worry for me if the league does well. Where do they go if they regularly sell out the very small stadiums most of them are using? I mean, the Seattle owner already said they have more than 2K season ticket holders so that's already half of Starfire sold each game before you even start selling single tickets. I'd be a little more comfortable if the stadiums were 5-8 K capacity each as that will leave space for growth in the next few years.

We've discussed venues in the past...but for the most part it's been piece meal we haven't had a solid list to really discuss them. For the moment Infinity Park is the standard.

I'm unsure if Gaelic park will be used past year 1 for RUNY. Construction permit take time, especially in NY State and City. James Kennedy has property in Yonkers that he was going to develop as the training Center for the Pro14 franchise he was trying to get that he's now going to develop as a stadium complex since he doesn't need a 20k+ stadium for MLR. You can also see that politics has taken us down the road in Houston where they didn't get to build their home ground. However, they did get some money from the city for a parking lot when it got approved. Phase I was meant to be 4k ground and plans to expand to 11k eventually.

So I've paid a lot of attention to the types of rugby grounds built overseas and now the pop up stadiums that are coming online here, see Phoenix Rising.

I can assure you that when that list I posted above is set we will discuss and rank stadiums.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 19:30

Gaelic Park is the best we got unless RUNY moves in 2019 to Coffey Field, the field for Fordham University's football and soccer team. It's actually pretty nice and can fit 7000 people. It's also only about 2 neighborhoods away so it's very close to keep the local fans. As long as there isn't anything going on Saturday nights in the Summer it should be open - the only issue I see is that there isn't a big screens which I think is required but Gaelic Park doesnt have that either.

http://themes.armssoftware.com/camps/cf ... WSO_F2.jpg

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 19:33

Tobar wrote:Gaelic Park is the best we got unless RUNY moves in 2019 to Coffey Field, the field for Fordham University's football and soccer team. It's actually pretty nice and can fit 7000 people. It's also only about 2 neighborhoods away so it's very close to keep the local fans. As long as there isn't anything going on Saturday nights in the Summer it should be open - the only issue I see is that there isn't a big screens which I think is required but Gaelic Park doesnt have that either.

I'm sorry, I'm mistaken they do have one. I don't see any reason why Coffey Field wouldn't be the choice for 2019 over Gaelic Park.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 19:40

Tobar wrote:Gaelic Park is the best we got unless RUNY moves in 2019 to Coffey Field, the field for Fordham University's football and soccer team. It's actually pretty nice and can fit 7000 people. It's also only about 2 neighborhoods away so it's very close to keep the local fans. As long as there isn't anything going on Saturday nights in the Summer it should be open - the only issue I see is that there isn't a big screens which I think is required but Gaelic Park doesnt have that either.

As long as RUNY throws down the 500k for new turf...why not?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 19:50

TheStroBro wrote:

What's wrong with the turf?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 22:05

Tobar wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

What's wrong with the turf?

Need the rugby lines dog!

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 21:36

EP 26 is out:
https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/ear ... s-and-ties

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... ion-plans/

We talked a little bit about this on the show in the new section but didn't really do a deep dive as we wanted to discuss a possible draft since the Commissioner says it is happening. I personally see the draft as a mechanism not being a huge issue...but it requires significant growth in the youth and collegiate games over a period of 10-15 years. It also requires massive investment on the parts of colleges to provide High Performance environments with full time Head Coaches and compensated staffs.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 22:14

I was agreeing with you listening to the podcast. Yes, but maybe in 10 years down the track when hopefully colleges have upped their overall leveland there's loads more great talent coming out from them. I'm also keen for the academy system to have the best chance to succeed. It's a key part of the MLR project.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 22:26

Tobar wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm mistaken they do have one. I don't see any reason why Coffey Field wouldn't be the choice for 2019 over Gaelic Park.

It looks like quite the nice facility. With plenty of room for growth if and when necessary (with the use of high quality temporary stands on the other side). Kind of wonder outside if the Irish link why they didn't push for this option.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 22:34

YamahaKiwi wrote:I was agreeing with you listening to the podcast. Yes, but maybe in 10 years down the track when hopefully colleges have upped their overall leveland there's loads more great talent coming out from them. I'm also keen for the academy system to have the best chance to succeed. It's a key part of the MLR project.

I'm not anti-academy system. I think it will be an important part of the equation. I just think we could see a blended system provided that the Alumni of American Colleges make the necessary investments to provide high performance environments for this club sport. Growth and investment talking about a draft is pointless as there won't be enough high quality talent to provide the depth that would be value-added to an Academy system.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 23:41

Wasn't Coffey Field dismissed by Pro Rugby because the turf wasn't WR compliant? Or do all fields now meet regulation because of the FIFA, WR, IHF turf agreement?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 01:09

thatrugbyguy wrote:Wasn't Coffey Field dismissed by Pro Rugby because the turf wasn't WR compliant? Or do all fields now meet regulation because of the FIFA, WR, IHF turf agreement?

No idea. But to me, if the League wants to use it, they should pay for compliant multi-use turf.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 05:38

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 15:14

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Tobar wrote:

It looks like quite the nice facility. With plenty of room for growth if and when necessary (with the use of high quality temporary stands on the other side). Kind of wonder outside if the Irish link why they didn't push for this option.

Perhaps some logistics that screw things up. Regardless, it would be wiser to use this given the size. Maybe they want to start smaller and since the new stadium they're building is in conjunction with the GAA they likely want to continue playing at Gaelic and getting their community around it. If they sell out the matches in 2019 they should 100% look to switch while the stadium is being built.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum