Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Osmanperalta » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 15:54

victorsra wrote:I would like to see photos from all the stadiums to be used, to have an idea about which sort of structure MLR will have.... does anybody has photos? I know all venues are small, with around 5.000 places...

Houston SaberCats dyer stadium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXtjAAsoclw

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 22:08

So we've got some interesting Material for Episode 28 based on this article in Rugby Rama: https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-de-fr ... l#fr-tw-sh

Episode 27 is out: https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/ear ... o-glendale

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 20 Mar 2018, 20:42

We've got three guys from the Utah Warriors tonight on the interview podcast.

ESPN and MLR agree to an 18 match broadcast deal. http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... gue-rugby/

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 18:24

Season tickets for the seawolves are almost sold out (only 150 left) this league looks much stronger than PRO hopefully come to stay

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 24 Mar 2018, 13:12

The proof of that won't be apparent for a number of years unfortunately. Is a promising start though.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 05:00

Houston 32-32 NOL
Mystic River 0-50 RUNY

SD @ Austin on Sunday.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 05:58

Any squads announced for Sunday?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 10:05

TheStroBro wrote:Houston 32-32 NOL
Mystic River 0-50 RUNY

SD @ Austin on Sunday.

Any news on attendance? Particularly NOLA, they're the ones I'm most concerned about in that regard...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 10:16

sammo wrote:
Mystic River 0-50 RUNY

SD @ Austin on Sunday.

Any news on attendance? Particularly NOLA, they're the ones I'm most concerned about in that regard...

Grant Cole who was commentating said the grandstand looked half full. Not sure how many that is. I think it's supposed to be 1500 seats. The StroBro might more.
Last edited by Working Class Rugger on Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 11:36

sammo wrote:
Mystic River 0-50 RUNY

SD @ Austin on Sunday.

According to the RUNY twitter. They had a sell out attendance. Which is about 2000 if Wiki is to be believed.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 11:51

Interview with JBL. Take note of the teams listed in the whiteboard on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... IOB_KfQz3s

11 teams are listed, the 7 MLS clubs, New york, Dallas and Toronto. The 11th is obscured.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 12:16

thatrugbyguy wrote:Interview with JBL. Take note of the teams listed in the whiteboard on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... IOB_KfQz3s

11 teams are listed, the 7 MLS clubs, New york, Dallas and Toronto. The 11th is obscured.

Okay. So, they'd know who's likely with Kennedy being an MLR board member. Interestingly they have Toronto. Which hasn't actually been confirmed publicly by the org. But I think we may be able to assume they are likely. I know Vancouver has a couple of groups looking to get up and running. One backed by the British Columbia RU and the other by the same guys that are behind Seattle. So I suspect they'll have the inside running there.

Mystic River (who RUNY belted today) are looking at making a push for MLR as well. But there's still a lot of pieces that need to fall into place there. Namely the obvious need to do a RUNY and present a united NE bid.

What is interesting is that I reckon from the size of the circled area that there may be a 12th and that if I'm seeing it correctly the 11th looks to start with an S. Though, it's hard to see but it could also be scribbled out as well.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 13:05

It could be 12 but I'm about 99% certain it was only 11. It looked liked number 11 was scribbled out, maybe a spelling error. So at the very least for season 2 we know NY, Ontario and Dallas look pretty certain.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 14:28

Starts with an S...San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, San Antonio (that would be a curve ball)

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 19:40

The intent from the League is to have 10 US Teams in 2019 with the possibility of two Canadian teams. At one point there were three bids in for the Vancouver spot. At one point the BC Rugby Union was running interference and then even submitted a proposal but that has died.

I do not think you get Ontario without Vancouver. Word is Dallas is a go. Sacramento makes a lot of sense to me.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 19:59

I think it is a big mistake to expand beyond 8 or 10 now. What matters more now is the product to be good. A bigger number of teams will mean some crap matches and possible unsustainability of some franchises. Less is more in the first stage. Let expansion talks to be on the table when MLR proves itself succesful.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 20:37

victorsra wrote:I think it is a big mistake to expand beyond 8 or 10 now. What matters more now is the product to be good. A bigger number of teams will mean some crap matches and possible unsustainability of some franchises. Less is more in the first stage. Let expansion talks to be on the table when MLR proves itself succesful.

Nah, if the standard becomes too low they can simply allow more foreigners in the squad to lift up the level. The league needs to grow as soon as possible as much as possible IMO.

Postby 4N » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 20:45

iul wrote:
victorsra wrote:I think it is a big mistake to expand beyond 8 or 10 now. What matters more now is the product to be good. A bigger number of teams will mean some crap matches and possible unsustainability of some franchises. Less is more in the first stage. Let expansion talks to be on the table when MLR proves itself succesful.

Nah, if the standard becomes too low they can simply allow more foreigners in the squad to lift up the level. The league needs to grow as soon as possible as much as possible IMO.

What could go wrong? :roll:

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 21:13

I think this problem would happen if there were american teams playing in some foreign league and losing every week there would have to be careful that people think that the product is bad and it would even cause the national interest in rugby fall. we have the example of Italians in pro 14, sunwolves, and last year the Australian teams in super rugby.
being a local league i dont think there is that problem because although there will be teams that will have low level there will be others who will be national champions or having good seasons they will have more fans and the interest of sport will grow in that cities

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 21:30

They've capped it at 12 as the maximum for now. From there they'll phase in expansion every two or so years until they reach 16 teams. From there they plan to sit for a while until demand grows.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 21:33

Tobar wrote:Starts with an S...San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, San Antonio (that would be a curve ball)

I was thinking one of the three NorCal locations on your list. San Antonio would be way out of right field and frankly probably one too many teams in regards to Texas at the moment. But hey, what do I know(that's rhetorical. No need to answer it).

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 22:29

Out of interest has there been any news about a team in LA?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 22:32

iul wrote:

After twelve teams I would like a pretty long pause. We need sustained development of talent as well as to not have the same issues that MLS had early on with expansion.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 25 Mar 2018, 23:44

Grayday88 wrote:Out of interest has there been any news about a team in LA?

Outside of a bit of a side note in a piece featuring Santa Monica where they brief mention talking to someone about it. Not really.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 03:48

Grayday88 wrote:Out of interest has there been any news about a team in LA?

We can only hope not.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum