Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 15:47

Have heard through the grapevine that this will be a big week for the Canadian sides and MLR. Not saying they are joining, but decisions could be made either way.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 15:49

Canadaman wrote:Have heard through the grapevine that this will be a big week for the Canadian sides and MLR. Not saying they are joining, but decisions could be made either way.

Hopefully they join.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 16:03

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Canadaman wrote:Have heard through the grapevine that this will be a big week for the Canadian sides and MLR. Not saying they are joining, but decisions could be made either way.

Hopefully they join.

Kingsley Jones desperately wants them to join. Apparently he doesn't rate any domestic rugby in Canada. He is also on the line with some Canadian qualified expats to see if they will join for the November push.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 16:45

Canadaman wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:

Hopefully they join.

Kingsley Jones desperately wants them to join. Apparently **he doesn't rate any domestic rugby in Canada.** He is also on the line with some Canadian qualified expats to see if they will join for the November push.

Nice to see that someone with some sense is employed by RC.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 17:17

Canadaman wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:

Hopefully they join.

Kingsley Jones desperately wants them to join. Apparently he doesn't rate any domestic rugby in Canada. He is also on the line with some Canadian qualified expats to see if they will join for the November push.

If that's the reason why centralized players were withdrawn from the premier league, that's also a reason why his team was poor during their summer tour.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 17:30

thatrugbyguy wrote:Is there any reason the Arrows can’t just press ahead and join MLR? I get that no sanction from RC will mean players won’t be eligible for the national team but I’d be willing to bet they change their mind quickly when they see all the professional talent they won’t have available.

It would make MLR a rebel competition.

For right or, in my view, wrong national unions have final say on what games can be played in their territories. So if Canada refuse to sanction and MLR go ahead anyway then everyone involved runs the risk of being banned for running a rebel competition.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 17:55

RC is on board with the Arrows joining, I think the delay is more about scheduling/money.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 18:05

sk 88 wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Is there any reason the Arrows can’t just press ahead and join MLR? I get that no sanction from RC will mean players won’t be eligible for the national team but I’d be willing to bet they change their mind quickly when they see all the professional talent they won’t have available.

It would make MLR a rebel competition.

For right or, in my view, wrong national unions have final say on what games can be played in their territories. So if Canada refuse to sanction and MLR go ahead anyway then everyone involved runs the risk of being banned for running a rebel competition.

Considering the Commissioner of MLR has had multiple engagements with World Rugby and Rugby Americas...it's not going to be a rebel competition. If they don't want to Sanction it yet...fine, just get out of the way. USA Rugby is supportive of MLR, it will be Sanctioned but has not as of this time. Although if you look at the Membership list you will find some MLR clubs registered as touring sides.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 18:13

Yeah great, that's why its fine in USA.

He asked why can't they all just over ride Canada's RFU (if they did really refuse a sanction), and that's why.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 19:43

sk 88 wrote:Yeah great, that's why its fine in USA.

He asked why can't they all just over ride Canada's RFU (if they did really refuse a sanction), and that's why.

I'm saying that refusing to Sanction and making it a Rebel competition would cause them much more ire from on high than it would be to just let them get on with it and stay out of the way.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 21:30

https://twitter.com/raysrugby/status/10 ... 1713204226

Bryan Ray stating we should have info around now -- he is the best source for Canadian rugby.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 04:15

Canadaman wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:

Hopefully they join.

Similar to the last coach who was trying to get more guys playing in NZ, even if only in club rugby there. Rugby Canada hasn't gotten the message in what? Three years ?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 07:50

Washington MLR owners talking about their organisation as well as the league itself.

https://youtu.be/eEVWA168g3o

Potential expansion clubs being talked about right now are Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis, LA and the 2 Canadian teams.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 00:23

Canadaman wrote:RC is on board with the Arrows joining, I think the delay is more about scheduling/money.

Like when they play?

Good to hear though if it's true that RC pulled their head out of their ass.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby cien_almas » Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 00:44

TheStroBro wrote:
Canadaman wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:

Hopefully they join.

If that's the reason why centralized players were withdrawn from the premier league, that's also a reason why his team was poor during their summer tour.

This is a good point - lots of those guys were clearly short of meaningful game time. AB/BC/Ont premier level isn't insanely high level and it's not good enough for international jumps, but it's better than just doing off-brand crossfit for two months.

MLR is a jump above CRC, and in 2-3+ years it should be a pretty decent level above.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 21:08

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 21:35

I actually think Halifax, NS would make a great location for an MLR team. There is only Major Junior Hockey to contend with and the rugby community is actually pretty good in the East Coast with a lot of decent amateur teams.

The city is over 400,000 and Moncton, Fredericton, Saint John and Cape Breton are all within relatively close driving distance.

The East Coast is home to the following clubs that all have multiple sides and good programs:

Loyalist RFC
Trojans RFC
Halifax Tars
Enfield RFC
PEI Mudmen
Belleisle Rovers

Newfoundland also has:

Swilers RFC
Baymen RFC
Dogs RFC

The East Coast has also produced some class players for Canada that have cut their teeth in the European Leagues:

Jebb Sinclair
Rod Snow
Ciaran Hearn
Morgan Williams
Chauncey O'Toole

To name but a few. The new Wanderers location make a great stadium for MLR.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 22:14

How expensive would the travel to and from Halifax be? Especially for teams like San Diego and Seattle? I think every team in MLR right now has relatively cheap direct flights to each other available.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 22:52

"With next season set to begin earlier – tentatively late January 2019"

Ugh, that's so early. Are they looking to move the season?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 23:41

Halifax is expensive to travel to and they are on the verge of getting both a CPL(soccer) and possibly CFL team. I'm not sure if the market is quite big enough to support QMJHL, CPL, CFL and MLR. Though I like the suggestion of Halifax better than that of St John's I've seen tossed around elsewhere.

In a perfect world we'd see the four CRC teams get financial backing, rebrand and move up to MLR in the coming years. Vancouver, Calgary(Wolf Pack loves them), Toronto and Montreal or Halifax. But that all likely depends on how things go for the Arrows and Vancouver(hopefully).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 00:21

Halifax is a regional airline hub. Direct flights to any major Canadian city daily as well as Boston and New York. You can get their easily with a connection in Toronto, New York or Boston.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 00:40

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Halifax is a regional airline hub. Direct flights to any major Canadian city daily as well as Boston and New York. You can get their easily with a connection in Toronto, New York or Boston.

I was curious so I just looked at flights to Halifax for a few teams, using 4 weeks from today as the departure date. 1 stop flights only:

San Diego: $1027
Seattle: $768, 14 hours travel time outbound, 10 hours travel time return. If looking at under 10 hours of travel time, it was $1080.
SLC: $764
Denver: $827, 12 hours travel time outbound. $1143 for under 10 hours travel time.

I'm sure Halifax would draw decent enough crowds but I don't see Halifax adding enough value to the league to justify those types of prices and travel times.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 00:54

Buffalo wrote:Halifax is expensive to travel to and they are on the verge of getting both a CPL(soccer) and possibly CFL team. I'm not sure if the market is quite big enough to support QMJHL, CPL, CFL and MLR. Though I like the suggestion of Halifax better than that of St John's I've seen tossed around elsewhere.

In a perfect world we'd see the four CRC teams get financial backing, rebrand and move up to MLR in the coming years. Vancouver, Calgary(Wolf Pack loves them), Toronto and Montreal or Halifax. But that all likely depends on how things go for the Arrows and Vancouver(hopefully).

Should the financial backers be there I'd be surprised if there weren't 4 Canadian sides in MLR within 6/7 years.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 02:56

4 teams minimum for Canada IMO in the MLR.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 03:22

Based on Utah's season ticketing offer. The season will be roughly sixteen weeks in length. They have 8 home matches as part of their package. So League will hit 9 teams and play home and away or 10 teams and play two less on the home and away. Which is why the season starts so early...and ends in June so that players can be released for WC assembly.

Rugby Canada from the conversation I had today will support MLR and will no longer be spouting off about Super Rugby or Pro 14...I think the Arrows get in for 2019.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum