Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

Posts: 4480
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 03:32

Finally, common sense is starting to prevail. Super Rugby and Pro 14 are a waste of time.

Posts: 143
Joined: Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 17:29
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby The Captain's Run » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 05:15

Blurandski wrote:Should the financial backers be there I'd be surprised if there weren't 4 Canadian sides in MLR within 6/7 years.


I don't think that's likely at all. If all things go right, meaning diligent expansion and no teams failing, the league should be no larger than 16 teams by that time. I would be very, very surprised if more than two of those teams are located in Canada. The talent to fill the rosters is available in Canada, sure, but there are just so many more attractive markets south of the border and that's what really matters. Seeing which cities have interested parties for expansion slots going forward, I think New Orleans and Utah were smart to get involved so early because I don't see cities that small being added for a long time as long as decent bids come from the major metro areas. Montreal is the only Canadian metro (other than the two already rumored to have MLR interest) above that rough threshold and there's no sign of interest there.

As for Halifax, I think it's great that they hosted a successful international match last weekend. But, as far as MLR goes, I'll put it this way: I currently live in a U.S. city that's closer in population to Nova Scotia as a whole than to the Halifax metro itself, and if I suggested that this city should be on the MLR radar, folks would think I'm nuts.

Posts: 1978
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 07:57

The Captain's Run wrote:
Blurandski wrote:Should the financial backers be there I'd be surprised if there weren't 4 Canadian sides in MLR within 6/7 years.


I don't think that's likely at all. If all things go right, meaning diligent expansion and no teams failing, the league should be no larger than 16 teams by that time. I would be very, very surprised if more than two of those teams are located in Canada. The talent to fill the rosters is available in Canada, sure, but there are just so many more attractive markets south of the border and that's what really matters. Seeing which cities have interested parties for expansion slots going forward, I think New Orleans and Utah were smart to get involved so early because I don't see cities that small being added for a long time as long as decent bids come from the major metro areas. Montreal is the only Canadian metro (other than the two already rumored to have MLR interest) above that rough threshold and there's no sign of interest there.

As for Halifax, I think it's great that they hosted a successful international match last weekend. But, as far as MLR goes, I'll put it this way: I currently live in a U.S. city that's closer in population to Nova Scotia as a whole than to the Halifax metro itself, and if I suggested that this city should be on the MLR radar, folks would think I'm nuts.


Halifax is unrealistic but Montreal is. Montreal, GTA, Vancouver and Calgary seems reasonable.

Posts: 143
Joined: Tue, 08 Mar 2016, 17:29
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby The Captain's Run » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 17:20

Coloradoan wrote:Halifax is unrealistic but Montreal is. Montreal, GTA, Vancouver and Calgary seems reasonable.


All reasonable to join eventually, but I don't see it happening all that quickly. Take into account the eight confirmed MLR teams and add Toronto and Vancouver because they are likely in as soon as the want. That leaves Montreal and Calgary competing with D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Atlanta, Kansas City, Minnesota - and those are just the bids that we've either heard about recently or had one foot in the door before the season. Northern California in general (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento), Philadelphia, Miami, Phoenix, and Columbus are other markets that get a serious look if the right group comes along.

I think Montreal should be right in that mix as well but the fact that they've had such a low profile in Canadian rugby - no CRC team of their own, have never hosted an international match - despite the size of the metro area has me wondering how much interest there really is. I see Calgary as being in a rung below all of the cities listed above.

Posts: 56
Joined: Sat, 03 Mar 2018, 17:07
National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby therugbycoach » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 21:08

I would expect a lot of backers may be very wary about entering into a sponsershipdeal which is unlikely to bring them any returns for a few years, Specially with the threats of new prices on almost all raw product due to Trumps Tarrifs and retaliation tarrifs.

I dont know who remembers when the dot com bubble burst the sports teams in UK suffered badly as many leapt onto the sponsorship bandwagon

Posts: 885
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 00:19

The Captain's Run wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:Halifax is unrealistic but Montreal is. Montreal, GTA, Vancouver and Calgary seems reasonable.


All reasonable to join eventually, but I don't see it happening all that quickly. Take into account the eight confirmed MLR teams and add Toronto and Vancouver because they are likely in as soon as the want. That leaves Montreal and Calgary competing with D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Atlanta, Kansas City, Minnesota - and those are just the bids that we've either heard about recently or had one foot in the door before the season. Northern California in general (San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento), Philadelphia, Miami, Phoenix, and Columbus are other markets that get a serious look if the right group comes along.

I think Montreal should be right in that mix as well but the fact that they've had such a low profile in Canadian rugby - no CRC team of their own, have never hosted an international match - despite the size of the metro area has me wondering how much interest there really is. I see Calgary as being in a rung below all of the cities listed above.


Montreal is an interesting area. While they don't have a CRC team and aren't known as a factory for rugby players, they have lots of clubs. In fact, the NY 7s tournament which is the largest in the country has an insane amount of clubs from Quebec. There are 135 clubs involved and I'd say about 60-80 are from Canada, primarily from Quebec. They all say it's because NYC is warmer than Quebec and usually show up in costumes and shit, so they are likely very social but rugby is still prevalent there.

Posts: 1421
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 03:59

Welcome LA Coast Rugby.

Posts: 4480
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 08:02

Image

https://www.facebook.com/20029725065866 ... =3&theater

Quote from the face book page: "It's Happening!"

Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 08:55

thatrugbyguy wrote:Image

https://www.facebook.com/20029725065866 ... =3&theater

Quote from the face book page: "It's Happening!"


Do you frequent the MLR subreddit? If you want to keep up to date with all things MLR that's the place to be.

Posts: 4480
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 08:58

I just do daily searches on Twitter and google for MLR news. I'll check out the reddit page.

Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 17:38

Does the use of Ali Hogg in the picture have any meaning?

Any thoughts on the championship game? Glendale or Seattle the favourites? Many fans of the two teams heading down to San Diego?

Posts: 1421
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 18:11

sk 88 wrote:Does the use of Ali Hogg in the picture have any meaning?

Any thoughts on the championship game? Glendale or Seattle the favourites? Many fans of the two teams heading down to San Diego?

The owner is from Glasgow.

Posts: 1978
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 18:48

sk 88 wrote:Does the use of Ali Hogg in the picture have any meaning?

Any thoughts on the championship game? Glendale or Seattle the favourites? Many fans of the two teams heading down to San Diego?


Glendale would have to be the favorite.

Posts: 885
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 19:15

Glendale beat Seattle twice - first 19-15 and then 11-33. Both teams were missing players for international duty for the second match, so take that how you want.

Posts: 4422
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 20:20

Is Glendale municipálity supporting the Raptors?

Because I guess it would be more interesting (comercialy) for the Raptors to be called Colorado Raptors. Right?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 336
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 20:45

victorsra wrote:Is Glendale municipálity supporting the Raptors?

Because I guess it would be more interesting (comercialy) for the Raptors to be called Colorado Raptors. Right?



Yup, one of the owners is the city of Glendale.

Posts: 1978
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 22:23

victorsra wrote:Is Glendale municipálity supporting the Raptors?

Because I guess it would be more interesting (comercialy) for the Raptors to be called Colorado Raptors. Right?


Yes it would be better to be called either Colorado or Denver (Glendale is an enclave of Denver, surrounded on all sides) but it seems unlikely to change with municipal and/or mayoral ownership of the team.

User avatar
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat, 14 Mar 2015, 03:36
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby rusty_lock » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 23:54

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I actually think Halifax, NS would make a great location for an MLR team. There is only Major Junior Hockey to contend with and the rugby community is actually pretty good in the East Coast with a lot of decent amateur teams.

The city is over 400,000 and Moncton, Fredericton, Saint John and Cape Breton are all within relatively close driving distance.

The East Coast is home to the following clubs that all have multiple sides and good programs:

Loyalist RFC
Trojans RFC
Halifax Tars
Enfield RFC
PEI Mudmen
Belleisle Rovers

Newfoundland also has:

Swilers RFC
Baymen RFC
Dogs RFC

The East Coast has also produced some class players for Canada that have cut their teeth in the European Leagues:

Jebb Sinclair
Rod Snow
Ciaran Hearn
Morgan Williams
Chauncey O'Toole

To name but a few. The new Wanderers location make a great stadium for MLR.


I definitely agree! The Maritimes have been talked about by the CFL for 20 years but they have never managed to make it happen. I think that that would be a perfect setup for Canada with 1 MLR team in the west, 1 in central Canada and a third one out in the maritimes. However, I'm not sure it is feasible with travel costs etc. I think Calgary is more likely and more attractive to MLR. MLR Rugby is the only hope Canada have of improving. Creating a professional environment for kids to strive towards will help expand the base of club rugby as well. Win win for everyone.

Posts: 943
Joined: Thu, 21 May 2015, 08:02
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Suiram » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 02:22

Coloradoan wrote:
victorsra wrote:Is Glendale municipálity supporting the Raptors?

Because I guess it would be more interesting (comercialy) for the Raptors to be called Colorado Raptors. Right?


Yes it would be better to be called either Colorado or Denver (Glendale is an enclave of Denver, surrounded on all sides) but it seems unlikely to change with municipal and/or mayoral ownership of the team.



The justification for the team now and previously was always as a promotional / marketing vehicle for the city of Glendale. That seems like a good deal for the team considering their depth of coaching and overall quality of the organization. So doesn't seem like something anyone should be too upset about.

Obviously a different scale (its actually a city), but one could argue they should be the Wisconsin Packers based on the fan base since Green Bay is a city of only 100k. But thats never going to happen.

For reference, Glendale only has 5,000 residents, but has a daytime population over 20,000 because its primarily a commercial cluster.

Posts: 4422
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 03:50

I don't know Denver and how US' sports markets react, but maybe when the league grows and starts to attract new supporters the name might be a problem for the franchise to grow more in Denver's market as a whole? Maybe it sounds too amateur (local sport) and not a "national" (professional) stuff?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 07:27

Well worry about that when it happens!

Posts: 58
Joined: Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 20:19
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby JamesWales » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 09:47

Is there any reliable data on the end of regular season attendances for MLR?

It's a bit disappointing that they haven't published much - I find that peculiar, as it looks unprofessional, and it also implies the attendances haven't been that great.

I gather this isn't the case, so it is a little frustrating to those of us keen to see rugby grow.

Posts: 4480
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 09:48

I don't have an issue with Glendale personally. Rugby doesn't have to follow the other leagues as far as I'm concerned. The NFL has the Green Bay Packers lets not forget, which is one of the older sporting football clubs in the country.

Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 10:01

JamesWales wrote:Is there any reliable data on the end of regular season attendances for MLR?

It's a bit disappointing that they haven't published much - I find that peculiar, as it looks unprofessional, and it also implies the attendances haven't been that great.

I gather this isn't the case, so it is a little frustrating to those of us keen to see rugby grow.


The season average looks like it will turn out to be around 3k. It's been tracked over on the MLR reddit.

Posts: 4480
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 10:46

It's a good average if correct, although some work still needs to be done with a few of the teams. Houston, Nola and Austin have been the ones that need to lift their game for next year. Is Houston's new stadium still being built?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan, SallesNeto_BR, suofficer and 23 guests