Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby grande » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 12:55

3k is a pretty good average for a brand new league. That's better than the RFU's Championship, and similar to the Italian Pro14 teams. Hopefully it will continue to grow next season!

Postby 4N » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 13:07

thatrugbyguy wrote:I don't have an issue with Glendale personally. Rugby doesn't have to follow the other leagues as far as I'm concerned. The NFL has the Green Bay Packers lets not forget, which is one of the older sporting football clubs in the country.

No one has heard of Glendale, CO though. It's a very small city, like 4000 people. Glendale in CA or AZ is what most people would think of. Green Bay isn't a metropolis but it is a regional center and much, much bigger (metro area over 300k).

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 15:02

thatrugbyguy wrote:It's a good average if correct, although some work still needs to be done with a few of the teams. Houston, Nola and Austin have been the ones that need to lift their game for next year. Is Houston's new stadium still being built?

Yes, they are planning on building it at the Houston Sports Park. It will seat 3500 to start and then expand upwards to around 10,000.

https://www.chron.com/sports/article/Ho ... 558481.php

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 18:16

4N wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I don't have an issue with Glendale personally. Rugby doesn't have to follow the other leagues as far as I'm concerned. The NFL has the Green Bay Packers lets not forget, which is one of the older sporting football clubs in the country.

No one has heard of Glendale, CO though. It's a very small city, like 4000 people. Glendale in CA or AZ is what most people would think of. Green Bay isn't a metropolis but it is a regional center and much, much bigger (metro area over 300k).

Only reason I've heard of Sale is the Sharks...why not call yourself Manchester? I would say it's a bit of the same deal. When the Raptors outgrow Infinity Park it may happen.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 18:34

And Sale Sharks don't play in Sale. They played for long time in Stockport and moved to Salford.

This was ineed a discussion some years ago: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... me-6699710
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 18:40

It's right on the edge of Salford as well almost in Trafford. I live about 2 minutes from the ground.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 09:42

4N wrote:

Yeah, but rugby has always had unique names for its clubs. I just think having teams names like Glendale and Nola make rugby stand out differently than other US sports.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 03:47

NOLA is a common name/shorthand for New Orleans used by locals. It's totally different than Glendale, which is an enclave of Denver. There isn't a major sports team in the US named after a suburb or something similar, even if that's where they play.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 04:35

What about the Brooklyn Nets or Anaheim Ducks?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 05:29

thatrugbyguy wrote:What about the Brooklyn Nets or Anaheim Ducks?

Both of those a significant cities in themselves. Brooklyn has 2.6 million people and Anaheim has 320k+. Completely different set ups.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 08:26

Who hasn't heard of Brooklyn??? Its like the most famous bit of New York.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter whether they are Glendale or Denver. A rose by any other name etc.

More importantly what do people think of the rather bizarre championship shield??? All the impracticality of the Brennus without the history or charm!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 13:43

Anyone know if the game will be live streamed online? CBS Sports doesn't exist in Canada from what I can tell.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 13:57

it should be on their facebook page

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 14:44

CBS Sports Network is available on Bell Fibe 417 and 1417 according to Wikipedia, which is why the game of the week hasn't been available in Canada on FB for most of the season

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 16:05

grande wrote:Anyone know if the game will be live streamed online? CBS Sports doesn't exist in Canada from what I can tell.

CBS Sports exists in Canada on Rogers Cable and Bell TV.

sk 88 wrote:Who hasn't heard of Brooklyn??? Its like the most famous bit of New York.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter whether they are Glendale or Denver. A rose by any other name etc.

More importantly what do people think of the rather bizarre championship shield??? All the impracticality of the Brennus without the history or charm!

80lbs...but does POY get a giant Claymore?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 16:36

Most of Canada doesn't have access to CBS Sports though. It's only available to Rogers customers and a handful of Bell subscribers. And both Rogers and Bell aren't available countrywide. So yes, while it may technically be available in Canada it isn't available for the majority of Canadians so we're SOL. Hopefully MLR can change things up next year so most of Canada isn't alienated from legally watching a good number of the games.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 01:13

Buffalo wrote:Most of Canada doesn't have access to CBS Sports though. It's only available to Rogers customers and a handful of Bell subscribers. And both Rogers and Bell aren't available countrywide. So yes, while it may technically be available in Canada it isn't available for the majority of Canadians so we're SOL. Hopefully MLR can change things up next year so most of Canada isn't alienated from legally watching a good number of the games.

I'm watching on Facebook live right now. Good stable stream

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 01:21

Disappointing looking crowd. Not sure about this neutral site venue. I know it works for the NFL but I don't think the MLR Championships are equivalent to the draw of the Super Bowl..

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 01:22

rusty_lock wrote:
Buffalo wrote:Most of Canada doesn't have access to CBS Sports though. It's only available to Rogers customers and a handful of Bell subscribers. And both Rogers and Bell aren't available countrywide. So yes, while it may technically be available in Canada it isn't available for the majority of Canadians so we're SOL. Hopefully MLR can change things up next year so most of Canada isn't alienated from legally watching a good number of the games.

Do you have a link? I'm not seeing it on their FB page...

Edit: Found a link. Not available in Canada :( https://www.facebook.com/usmlr/videos/1758705784225284/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 01:23

grande wrote:
rusty_lock wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/usmlr/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 01:29

grande wrote:
rusty_lock wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/usmlr/videos/1758705784225284/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 01:33

Crowd has thickened up since the anthem.

3-0

Seattle look good so far

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 03:21

Seattle seawolves first major league rugby champions ;) :D

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby rusty_lock » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 03:31

Osmanperalta wrote:Seattle seawolves first major league rugby champions ;) :D

Entertaining Championship game. Even a bit of a come from behind upset to add to the drama. First year looks to have been very successful overall. The future is very bright for MLR. I'm excited to watch this thing grow!

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 08 Jul 2018, 04:01

The league has a bright future.. has surpassed PRO in both quality of game as in organization hopefully has come to stay

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum