Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Tobar » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 04:00

There’s nothing wrong with reaching out and offering advice but your original post was both arrogant and condescending. It implied some issue specifically with Americans and that we didn’t have the rugby culture or manners to respond to an email.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 16:12

Kyle Sumsion has left the SaberCats for a coaching position in the West Point program.

ETA:

Matt Hawkins resigned as President/GM of SD Legion three weeks ago.

SD Legion appointed Ashley Otte as Executive GM.

Sam Figg has left Glendale and returned to Australia.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 21:38

Scott Murray has been appointed Forwards Coach with San Diego Legion replacing Chris Cracknell.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 02:12

When will the Arrows be officially announced as part of MLR?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 17:43

Major League Rugby confirms the addition of Atlanta and Boston for 2020.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 18:18

Nothing on Toronto ...

Is that LA & NY in 2019 and then Atlanta & Boston in 2020 as expansion teams?

Hopefully they can retain and grow the current ones and really expand the foot print of the league.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 18:37

LA is not joining next year. Ontario needs to finalize things that come up with an international league and are shooting for next year.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 18:48

Canadaman wrote:When will the Arrows be officially announced as part of MLR?

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/08/30/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Rugby.aspx
I found this news weeks ago but nothing more since then nor any official statement on the MLR web or social media

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 19:37

Tobar wrote:LA is not joining next year. Ontario needs to finalize things that come up with an international league and are shooting for next year.

So LA, Boston & Atlanta on the slate for 2020 then.

What is happening with Washington D.C. are they 2019 or 2020? 4 expansion teams in one go seems pretty aggressive to me, even with a wide geographic spread and that this league still predominantly recruits from its local markets.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 23:10

So if I’m reading the time line correct:

2019 - RUNY, Ontario
2020 - LA, DC, Atlanta, Boston

That gives us 13 teams, shouldn’t there be an even number?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 23:46

thatrugbyguy wrote:So if I’m reading the time line correct:

2019 - RUNY, Ontario

You can put a fork in DC and LA until further notice.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 23:53

thatrugbyguy wrote:So if I’m reading the time line correct:

2019 - RUNY, Ontario

There’s still time for another bid to finalize in time for 2020. I’m hoping for Vancouver(bleh) but wouldn’t be surprised by Dallas or maybe Columbus(Obetz). As for such rapid expansion, I get people’s worries it may be too fast and talent may be diluted but there’s some historical precedent in sports. The NHL jumped from six teams to twelve for the 1967-68 and then two more teams every second year until 1974-75 bringing the total from six to eighteen in 8 years. Of course there were many many competitive issues for the majority of the teams on the ice and a number of relocations but most of them are still around and doing well. To help stem the player dilution MLR could increase foreign player quotas. Ideally you’d want as many North Americans as you can get playing but I still believe early on it would be good to pad those numbers with Pacific Islanders/T1 European/SANZAAR journeymen and young guns. North Americans are used to watching and cheering on foreigners in our sports leagues so it wouldn’t be anything new.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 00:27

TheStroBro wrote:You can put a fork in DC and LA until further notice.

What happened to LA?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 00:33

Buffalo wrote:
There’s still time for another bid to finalize in time for 2020. I’m hoping for Vancouver(bleh) but wouldn’t be surprised by Dallas or maybe Columbus(Obetz). As for such rapid expansion, I get people’s worries it may be too fast and talent may be diluted but there’s some historical precedent in sports. The NHL jumped from six teams to twelve for the 1967-68 and then two more teams every second year until 1974-75 bringing the total from six to eighteen in 8 years. Of course there were many many competitive issues for the majority of the teams on the ice and a number of relocations but most of them are still around and doing well. To help stem the player dilution MLR could increase foreign player quotas. Ideally you’d want as many North Americans as you can get playing but I still believe early on it would be good to pad those numbers with Pacific Islanders/T1 European/SANZAAR journeymen and young guns. North Americans are used to watching and cheering on foreigners in our sports leagues so it wouldn’t be anything new.

Yeah, you'd want to focus mostly on North Americas, or even talent from both North and South America. I don't have an issue with rapid expansion, I'm a bit concerned at the amount of chopping and changing as to which teams are confirmed to be playing. I don't understand announcing teams only then to have them put on ice a few months later. DC clearly wasn't 100% committed yet which is fine, but LA being announced an now possibly not participating reeks of amateurism. If they're not ready then don't announce anything. I'd rather have a solid 10 teams who are committed than ones who throw there hat in only to realise they haven't done their homework.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 02:54

thatrugbyguy wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:You can put a fork in DC and LA until further notice.

What happened to LA?

More importantly, what happened to DC? They had 1000 deposits and seemed to have 2 solid owners.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 28 Sep 2018, 02:38

I wasn't expecting but it looks like there will be Brazilian players in the MLR combine. Waiting for the names that CBRU will soon confirm.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 28 Sep 2018, 03:19

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Buffalo wrote:

Yeah, you'd want to focus mostly on North Americas, or even talent from both North and South America. I don't have an issue with rapid expansion, I'm a bit concerned at the amount of chopping and changing as to which teams are confirmed to be playing. I don't understand announcing teams only then to have them put on ice a few months later. DC clearly wasn't 100% committed yet which is fine, but LA being announced an now possibly not participating reeks of amateurism. If they're not ready then don't announce anything. I'd rather have a solid 10 teams who are committed than ones who throw there hat in only to realise they haven't done their homework.

I think you are misunderstanding. MLR only provided quotes confirming an ownership group for exclusive rights to negotiate a franchise. It was the potential franchisees that oversold it in the media. You get an announcement like Boston and Atlanta when the real money is committed

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 28 Sep 2018, 12:45

Thanks for the info.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 01 Oct 2018, 14:22

So Major League Rugby has developed two strategic partnerships now. The first one with URU which will take the top 15 domestic Uruguayans in the squad and place them on MLR teams for the 2019 season. The ones already signed have One+one option or two+one option contracts. Expecting the rest of the guys to be on one year contracts should Liga Sud America ever get off the ground.

Then reported this morning in the Midi-Olympique that MLR-LNR have continued their strategic negotiations with an agreement to have up to 30 French players loaned to MLR teams.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 01 Oct 2018, 16:59

Not enough quality talent in MLR!

TheStroBro wrote:The first one with URU which will take the top 15 domestic Uruguayans in the squad and place them on MLR teams for the 2019 season.
Then reported this morning in the Midi-Olympique that MLR-LNR have continued their strategic negotiations with an agreement to have up to 30 French players loaned to MLR teams.

Too many foreigners, league will fail!

Sorry, just had to say that before anyone else felt the need to freak out about it.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 16:43

We're giving away tickets to The Rugby Weekend if you'd like to participate in the contest, the first pair is up for grabs by answering this question on Facebook or Twitter. Winner will be notified Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/earfulofdirt/p ... 5254050905

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 21:25

Nine Brazilian players will participate in the MLR combine > http://www.espn.com.br/rugby/artigo/_/i ... al-nos-eua

The trip is financed by MLR. No World Rugby involvement as we thought.

Edit: Victor posted the names of the players >
http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... na-em-2019

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 10 Oct 2018, 11:57

And here’s an ARN article about it:

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/1 ... r-combine/

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 10 Oct 2018, 14:46

So I'm guessing CbRU changed their opinion on Tupis playing elsewhere?

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum