Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 07:36

thatrugbyguy wrote:Seasons having to be complete by June is a rule I've never heard of before.

SANZAAR hasn't as well as the last Super rugby regular season game 2019 is scheduled for June 14th/15th 2019. Doesn't look like the playoffs will be played in time to finish the season in June :D
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 08:04

RugbyLiebe wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Seasons having to be complete by June is a rule I've never heard of before.

SANZAAR hasn't as well as the last Super rugby regular season game 2019 is scheduled for June 14th/15th 2019. Doesn't look like the playoffs will be played in time to finish the season in June :D

That's because of the RWC.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 11:52

Working Class Rugger wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

That's because of the RWC.

That's my point. Even a reduced Super Rugby season finishes in July, not in June. So that rule was and never will be.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 13:45

TheStroBro wrote:
jonny24 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:Tough with the weather and scheduling around the test matches. If we didn't have those test matches in the summer that we're planning around then it'd be easier to do a March-August schedule or something like that.

Not really, World Rugby says professional competitions have to be seasons complete in June because of the new Window. So if we ever have a minor league system they can play whenever, but the top competition has to be complete.

Which is really inflexible. What if in 20 years Canada wants our own league? We only play April May June, because of a WR rule?

**I know this will never happen, but still.

When do you play 7s?

Ummm.... I don't think there is a senior club 7s in Ontario. There are occasionally 1-off tournaments set up by individual clubs, there was a November one I went to for a couple years in Niagara and it was always snowing.

There is a junior Fall 7s Series, with about 4 or 5 tournament weekends.

But in general, club rugby runs late May to August, McCormick Cup playoffs September October, and OUA/OCAA is end of August to early November. And then some clubs sometimes run various forms of indoor touch or something through the winter. There used to be a fall schedule for clubs that wanted to keep playing, but I looked a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything about it this year.

There's a reason the CFL plays June to November, and that the CPL schedule is going to be April to October. That's when you can play outdoor sports in most of the country... and it's kinda iffy in April and November.

Anyone feel free to correct me, maybe there is more club 7s that I'm not aware of. I hate playing it and not that fussed about watching it, and maybe the invites never make their way out to the boonies...
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 14:53

TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:Tough with the weather and scheduling around the test matches. If we didn't have those test matches in the summer that we're planning around then it'd be easier to do a March-August schedule or something like that.

Not really, World Rugby says professional competitions have to be seasons complete in June because of the new Window. So if we ever have a minor league system they can play whenever, but the top competition has to be complete.

Ok then replace test matches with that rule. The reason why doesn’t matter.

OT but is very much like to see a minor league in similar fashion to Mitre 10. It’d be a testing ground for future potential cities that don’t quite have the $$ just yet but also can be an offseason team for MLR fringe players.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 15:15

RugbyLiebe wrote:

In Phrasing...By June think in June...not End of May. I know, English...it separates a whole world. The Premiership Season for '18/19 is going to end 3rd week of June I think...wild.

jonny24 wrote:
Ummm.... I don't think there is a senior club 7s in Ontario. There are occasionally 1-off tournaments set up by individual clubs, there was a November one I went to for a couple years in Niagara and it was always snowing.

There is a junior Fall 7s Series, with about 4 or 5 tournament weekends.

But in general, club rugby runs late May to August, McCormick Cup playoffs September October, and OUA/OCAA is end of August to early November. And then some clubs sometimes run various forms of indoor touch or something through the winter. There used to be a fall schedule for clubs that wanted to keep playing, but I looked a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything about it this year.

There's a reason the CFL plays June to November, and that the CPL schedule is going to be April to October. That's when you can play outdoor sports in most of the country... and it's kinda iffy in April and November.

Anyone feel free to correct me, maybe there is more club 7s that I'm not aware of. I hate playing it and not that fussed about watching it, and maybe the invites never make their way out to the boonies...

Thanks for the info...it's just weird for me. When we should go into an off-season, down here everyone goes into 7s mode. I want a break from rugby so much by that point when the GF said "we're doing triathlon" I was like: YEAH. And I hate playing 7s too.

RugbyLiebe wrote:
That's my point. Even a reduced Super Rugby season finishes in July, not in June. So that rule was and never will be.

They moved the window specifically so Super Rugby could finish their season In/By June.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 12:58

Strange that this wasn't posted on here yet, as I saw the announcement of it last week on facebook.

Irish provinces will face a new MLR outfit called "New England Free Jacks" in Spring 2019, before this US-side will join the MLR in 2020.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/11/11/ ... nt-series/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 13:08

What is a Free Jack anyway?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 13:23

thatrugbyguy wrote:What is a Free Jack anyway?

I'm sure once our American friends figure that out they'll be able to give us and answer. Considering the design of the badge I'd guess they'd be some kind of revolutionary.

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 14:21

i think this may help you
https://therunnersports.com/what-in-the-world-is-a-free-jack/

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 15:01

Osmanperalta wrote:

i think this may help you
https://therunnersports.com/what-in-the-world-is-a-free-jack/

Google Freejack and Louisiana...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 17 Nov 2018, 00:48

2019 Jerseys released. Some nice looking outfits.

https://www.usmlr.com/about/xblades-kits

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum