Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby Shockterm » Mon, 17 Jun 2019, 22:43

Does anyone know what type of visas are player getting to play in the mlr ?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 05:58

Shockterm wrote:Does anyone know what type of visas are player getting to play in the mlr ?

P-1A Internationally Recognized Athlete https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-st ... ed-athlete

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 09 Jul 2019, 16:27

Transactions so far:

New Signings-

San Diego:
Steffon Armitage

New York
Mathieu Bastareaud

Extensions-

New Orleans:

Eric Howard-2 Years
Tristan Blewett- 3 Years
Nikola Bursic-2 Years

San Diego

Psalm Wooching-3 Years
Last edited by TheStroBro on Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 15:39, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 09 Jul 2019, 16:32

TheStroBro wrote:Transactions so far:

New Signings-

San Diego:
Steffon Armitage

Extensions-

New Orleans:

Eric Howard-2 Years
Tristan Blewett- 3 Years

Basteraud-RUNY?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 09 Jul 2019, 19:06

Some real game changing signings. Foden, Basteraud, Armitage, Manoa all add huge credibility to this league. Also show there must be cash in the league as these guys aren't going for peanuts, even if it is less than Europe with the "cool factor" making a difference.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 10 Jul 2019, 00:01

Coloradoan wrote:
Basteraud-RUNY?

Fixed, added Psalm Wooching's 3-year extension.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Tiernster » Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 10:31

Any thoughts on whether this league will look for its teams to compete in Europe. This seems like the obvious direction to go

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 11:38

In what sense is competing in Europe obvious?

Or do you mean as pre-season promotional tours? That could make sense to build interest and credibility.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 12:47

sk 88 wrote:In what sense is competing in Europe obvious?

Or do you mean as pre-season promotional tours? That could make sense to build interest and credibility.

Same reason North America needs to become part of Super Rugby - absolutely none. :roll:

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Tiernster » Fri, 12 Jul 2019, 21:43

I do mean promotional tours and challenges. I think there is clubs in Europe they could beat too

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 16:44

Tiernster wrote:I do mean promotional tours and challenges. I think there is clubs in Europe they could beat too

Why? There's really no reason to waste a fixture in Europe, whether it is an exhibition or regular season. There seems to be a fascination with this by New York, not sure why. However, we need to grow Rugby here. That means if the teams are doing a promotional tour of any kind in the pre-season it should be in their wider markets or a market untouched by MLR. The money to take an MLR team overseas by a promoter would need to be stupid high.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 13 Jul 2019, 17:54

TheStroBro wrote:
Tiernster wrote:I do mean promotional tours and challenges. I think there is clubs in Europe they could beat too

Why? There's really no reason to waste a fixture in Europe, whether it is an exhibition or regular season. There seems to be a fascination with this by New York, not sure why. However, we need to grow Rugby here. That means if the teams are doing a promotional tour of any kind in the pre-season it should be in their wider markets or a market untouched by MLR. The money to take an MLR team overseas by a promoter would need to be stupid high.

One doesn't preclude the other. Agree that promotional tours and matches in non-MLR markets is a great idea.

But it's where a huge chunk of the money is, also its where most of the players are and where all of the opinion formers are.

Getting MLR onto TV in the UK and France has to be a legitimate medium term aim, European TV rights were cited as a big part of SANZAAR's package, while the US is obviously the primary market selling it to the UK & France should be viewed as important secondary markets.

Beating a pro-European team would immediately give the league huge credibility, that would help it in the USA too. There are US fans who would dismiss this league as substandard in the same way people do with MLS. That would help nip that in the bud.

Having said all that I think its more likely for MLR sides to start hosting European teams in promotional tours than visiting. I'd imagine a few of the progressive clubs are hoping to start that soon.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 16 Jul 2019, 09:53

sk 88 wrote:Beating a pro-European team would immediately give the league huge credibility, that would help it in the USA too.

Reality check: beating an English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh team does only give you huge excuses, why this wasn't the first team you just beat. :D

Please Americans, correct me if I'm wrong:
The US market is quite strange to us Europeans, with different markets between states, cities etc., while we mostly only have big national private tv channels, they have tv channels with money for licences locally/regionally as well.
So it would take a lot of time and effort to broaden their audiences in the US. I don't think as long as they haven't the money and the audience to get the real big players under contract, that this league shouldn't really expect a paying tv contract in Europe.

Long-term is a different story.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 16 Jul 2019, 16:46

It's only a good idea if the promoter of the event showers the team with money. If the team has spend money on such a trip (net loss rather than net gain) they're hurting themselves. Look at the attendance of many of the teams, it shows they need to invest locally and not do some novelty tour.

Rugby Liebe, to an extent that is very true. NY Games went out on three Regional Networks. SNY, NBC Sports Philadelphia, and NBC Sports DC.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 16 Jul 2019, 18:49

RugbyLiebe wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Beating a pro-European team would immediately give the league huge credibility, that would help it in the USA too.

Reality check: beating an English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh team does only give you huge excuses, why this wasn't the first team you just beat. :D

The US market is quite strange to us Europeans, with different markets between states, cities etc., while we mostly only have big national private tv channels, they have tv channels with money for licences locally/regionally as well.
So it would take a lot of time and effort to broaden their audiences in the US. I don't think as long as they haven't the money and the audience to get the real big players under contract, that this league shouldn't really expect a paying tv contract in Europe.

I don’t expect them to get a big tome European contract but maybe someone like Sky will give them a bit of cash to include it in their rugby deal. Nothing huge but some extra money to get the league more wiggle room.

Yes, we have local TV deals all the time. Since the country is so big with so many sports teams, you will usually see regional deals just for the local teams. Everyone gets the NFL on a major network but something like MLB is hyper localized. I get all of the NY Mets games on SNY (which was the channel that showed all RUNY games) but someone in Boston wouldn’t get that channel. Instead they would have NESN.

In some cases, these channels are made entirely for 1 or 2 teams and include tons of coverage. This is the case with SNY which only shows Mets games and has almost nonstop coverage of the Mets. They do have a lot of really random sports like NYC boxing (not big fights) or high school sports but the majority of the station is dedicated to the Mets. Same thing with YES which is the Yankees network and they show NYCFC games. But NYC is different from a smaller market like Kansas City so they will have different deals.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 16 Jul 2019, 18:53

RugbyLiebe wrote:

All I'm saying is that I get all sorts of weird US sport on ESPN that's part of my normal BT sports pack and these games are already produced for TV with English commentary. We had Canadian cricket on this year. Real money may be years down the line but something is achievable now.

Agree on your first sentence ;)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 06:46

sk 88 wrote:
All I'm saying is that I get all sorts of weird US sport on ESPN that's part of my normal BT sports pack and these games are already produced for TV with English commentary. We had Canadian cricket on this year. Real money may be years down the line but something is achievable now.

Actually you might have a point there. To be honest this has always been my hope for the MLR. A lot of US sports can bee seen on every European tv market. NFL is on German free tv, we even had this Arena Football League thing, even semi-sport game shows like American gladiators, roller derby, lingerie football etc. all produced with also the export to different markets in mind. Small licence fees are better then no licence fees. The big question is, why the Premiership, the Top14 or Super Rugby was never able to produce something like this. But if a country knows how to promote even mediocre things, it is the USA.
And actually I would be very happy with it. So from this perspective, I think I was actually wrong.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 08:45

Another useful signing for the MLR:

Saracens lock Dom Day has joined Major League Rugby side San Diego Legion. https://www.saracens.com/news-article/d ... ego-legion

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 09:05

MLR could always provide a service like PONTEL or similar.

http://www.pontel.com/

I am a subscriber for many years and that is how I watch many of the US Major sports is an idea that could work for USA Rugby. I originally subscribe because I couldn't get many of the college games in Europe.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 09:16

Thomas wrote:MLR could always provide a service like PONTEL or similar.

I am a subscriber for many years and that is how I watch many of the US Major sports is an idea that could work for USA Rugby. I originally subscribe because I couldn't get many of the college games in Europe.

I am really amazed, that a service like this still exists. I mean, how do they actually make money apart from the simple affiliate program? Do people really still buy DVDs, when they can download a full DVD in a minute or two?

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 10:55

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Thomas wrote:MLR could always provide a service like PONTEL or similar.

I am really amazed, that a service like this still exists. I mean, how do they actually make money apart from the simple affiliate program? Do people really still buy DVDs, when they can download a full DVD in a minute or two?

yeah it still does, not sure how they make their money. based out of Switzerland. I have asked about downloads but have said no. suffice to say I can get the games I want. is a service and lots people who like US sports are subscribed to it.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 17:57

RugbyLiebe wrote:
sk 88 wrote:

Actually you might have a point there. To be honest this has always been my hope for the MLR. A lot of US sports can bee seen on every European tv market. NFL is on German free tv, we even had this Arena Football League thing, even semi-sport game shows like American gladiators, roller derby, lingerie football etc. all produced with also the export to different markets in mind. Small licence fees are better then no licence fees. The big question is, why the Premiership, the Top14 or Super Rugby was never able to produce something like this. But if a country knows how to promote even mediocre things, it is the USA.
And actually I would be very happy with it. So from this perspective, I think I was actually wrong.

This is where CVC plan to raise a lot of money for the Premiership. Though I'm sure you can get the Premiership on NBC Gold, though I'm not sure what that is really equivalent to in the UK. It's also, apparently, on TV in China on CCTV5.

Personally I've only ever seen it on TV/planners in France & Switzerland never any other European countries.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 20:55

Yeah, Premiership is on NBC Sports Gold. Gold gets you all the games whenever you want, digital only. NBC Sports cable channel gets you 1 or 2 games every weekend but on delay.

National Flag:

Postby rugby-veterinarian » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 00:57

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mobile/hali ... MKFmqtHsdU

Very interesting, hopefully a Halifax team can come to fruition. Also according to the Rugby PatCast, a team in STL is looking like its going to happen along with Dallas and LA.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 03:37

Tasman Makos will be touring the US in January. They'll play the Sabercats and the Seawolves. Austin Elite has finally rebranded. Now the Austin Herd.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum