Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Major League Rugby

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Major League Rugby

Postby nick511 » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 04:03

TheStroBro wrote:Tasman Makos will be touring the US in January. They'll play the Sabercats and the Seawolves. Austin Elite has finally rebranded. Now the Austin Herd.

Yeah thats a pretty good coup for those MLR teams, Tasman are currently tearing up the Mitre 10 Cup and look favourites to win it. However the tour will only have wider squad members and age grade members not in Super Rugby but it will still be a tough test.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/new ... d=app-iPad

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 19 Sep 2019, 15:00

I wouldn't want Super Rugby players on the Tasman Makos now...the NPC is really a minor league to develop talent and it's definitely treated so by NZRU. They don't think it's a commercial product at all.

However, players only contracted to Tasman, and Tasman B players trying to get a contract will still be a very good test. Honestly, I'd pick the Makos to beat the SaberCats for sure, and decently and probably to beat the Seawolves. But it will be a post-season tour for them and a pre-season fixture for the MLR teams, so it will be hard to judge either group.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby irishjonny » Fri, 20 Sep 2019, 15:18

Any word on a kit provider for next year?

Been told that they're moving away from X Blades. Maybe adidas with WorldRugbyShop like Old Glory has?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 20 Sep 2019, 21:04

Announcement is coming.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby irishjonny » Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 16:49

You tease you

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 19:18

Schedule was announced on Monday.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 19:44

Let's all take a minute to celebrate MLR's role in Uruguay's upset last night. 10 Uruguayan MLR players got to play full time, competitive rugby in the lead up to the RWC. This league has the potential to not just improve American and Canadian rugby, but also rugby in other T2 and T3 nations and that is a beautiful thing.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Wed, 25 Sep 2019, 20:41

Coloradoan wrote:Let's all take a minute to celebrate MLR's role in Uruguay's upset last night. 10 Uruguayan MLR players got to play full time, competitive rugby in the lead up to the RWC. This league has the potential to not just improve American and Canadian rugby, but also rugby in other T2 and T3 nations and that is a beautiful thing.

Makes you wonder where the Americas as a region will be by 2031, I hope MLR and potentially SLAR can help in closing the gap between T2's and T1's. I also hope the US can cause more upsets by then.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 00:53

Agreed. It's a good sign for the future. Hopefully the US can really push England today too. It would be a massive endorsement for MLR.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 09:23

JLJordaan wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:Let's all take a minute to celebrate MLR's role in Uruguay's upset last night. 10 Uruguayan MLR players got to play full time, competitive rugby in the lead up to the RWC. This league has the potential to not just improve American and Canadian rugby, but also rugby in other T2 and T3 nations and that is a beautiful thing.

Makes you wonder where the Americas as a region will be by 2031, I hope MLR and potentially SLAR can help in closing the gap between T2's and T1's. I also hope the US can cause more upsets by then.

Should be interesting to watch. Honestly, I think Europe needs something akin to MLR/SLAR as well to help the next best 6 or so nations develop further as well.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 10:03

It's pretty clear the 12 months the Uruguayans have had in a professional environment has already bore fruit, and the South American pro league is going to do even more for all of South America. We need something in Europe too, two clubs from each of the REC nations, and maybe one from a couple of the RET nations. Fingers crossed for the Eagles tonight.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 12:14

Don't be so sure about SLAR. We still have NOTHING confiirmed here and behind the scenes rumours are really bad. When Teros players decide to stay in MLR it is because SLAR is still an undefined project. Public opinion in Brazilian rugby community about SLAR is bad and if it take off it will struggle to have like 300 supporters in each match (at least here). Unless the work gets realy better and closer to community, it is dead before being born.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 14:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:It's pretty clear the 12 months the Uruguayans have had in a professional environment has already bore fruit, and the South American pro league is going to do even more for all of South America. We need something in Europe too, two clubs from each of the REC nations, and maybe one from a couple of the RET nations. Fingers crossed for the Eagles tonight.

So basically a second division Pro14. Spain, Germany, Georgia, Romania, Portugal, etc. can all have clubs involved. It doesn't seem like that's appealing to the unions nor does it seem like it would make much money though so doubt it would happen.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 14:44

There have been efforts in that direction, but once again we must remind that European context isn't the same as South American. There is a bigger mix of languages, sponsors and TV channels don't necessary operate in the all REC markets... Even journalists don't cover Rugby Europe news in the same way it is done with Sudamérica Rugby.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 17:55

I think what today showed was that a big area MLR can help the US national team improve is the second row and pack in general. You need a tighthead so Lamositele can switch back to loosehead and compete properly with Ainu'u. The locks were also a long way off the pace. The backrow would improve with those guys in front of them improving but I wasn't super impressed with the backrow, its traditionally an area of strength for the US.

The backs looked good but I can't see many of the outside backs (any other than MacGinty?) making the next RWC. Hooley is young enough but he's suffered so many concussions.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 19:32

I think what it also showed was that MLR needs to elevate its standards. The US defended well all match but they just lacked that extra gear to be truly competitive against England. They had only 30% possession all game. Fitness is not really the issue anymore with the US, it’s the pace they have to adapt to. MLR needs to help develop that extra gear.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 21:33

sk 88 wrote:I think what today showed was that a big area MLR can help the US national team improve is the second row and pack in general. You need a tighthead so Lamositele can switch back to loosehead and compete properly with Ainu'u. The locks were also a long way off the pace. The backrow would improve with those guys in front of them improving but I wasn't super impressed with the backrow, its traditionally an area of strength for the US.

The backs looked good but I can't see many of the outside backs (any other than MacGinty?) making the next RWC. Hooley is young enough but he's suffered so many concussions.

Titi will never play loosehead again. He's been fully converted for Saracens to the right side.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Nov 2019, 03:03

https://coloradoraptors.com/

Glendale is now Colorado Raptors.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 08:34

victorsra wrote:https://coloradoraptors.com/

They've also signed former All Black Rene Ranger. Meanwhile, Utah have signed Samoan halfback Dwayne Polativau and Fiji hooker Veremalua Vugakoto. & NY signed Irish lock Cormac Daly earlier this month. The league is obviously serving as a magnet for players from abroad, which augurs well for MLR and the future of American rugby.

Austin changed their name from the Elite to the Herd :lol: Dios mio!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 09:27

Edgar wrote:

They've also signed former All Black Rene Ranger. Meanwhile, Utah have signed Samoan halfback Dwayne Polativau and Fiji hooker Veremalua Vugakoto. & NY signed Irish lock Cormac Daly earlier this month. The league is obviously serving as a magnet for players from abroad, which augurs well for MLR and the future of American rugby.

And the already have the signature of Digby Ioane. The Raptors I mean. There is definitely a real drive to boost the overall quality for next season. It's quite exciting.

Hopefully it is accompanied by solid jumps in attendance. Seattle should be good. SD has a formidable squad that should draw the local Rugby community in the numbers to fill Terrero. I think the Raptors should be looking for close to full houses as well

It's necessary in order to build a case for increased coverage. Stroon the USA Rugby thread mentioned NBC blew away their targeted subscription goal for the RWC by 80% alongside a very solid performance all round. A good showing for MLR next season coupled with the RWC could assist in the league expanding their coverage. Not necessarily for any $ amount but perhaps a better dealing the back end or increased marketing on the broadcasting side.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 11:01

Edgar wrote:

Colorado is a better name than Glendale and I also think Herd is better than Elite. I also think they changed the colouring of their logo, because it resembled the UT Longhorns' logo too much, I guess.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 12:56

I liked both changed. Both offer the idea of franchises growing up.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 13:11

The Raptors and Legion had very strong attendance in the second half of the season - both of the stadiums looked nearly sold out, especially in San Diego for the playoffs. I hope that this trend continues into next season.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 15:29

Tobar wrote:The Raptors and Legion had very strong attendance in the second half of the season - both of the stadiums looked nearly sold out, especially in San Diego for the playoffs. I hope that this trend continues into next season.

Absolutely! I went to the Glendale vs Seawolves game at the end of last season while I was in Colorado and the stadium was packed out, fans were loving it and a crazy good game of rugby was being played. Just hope that the weather isn’t bad at the start of the season which may put some fans off going to the games.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 20 Nov 2019, 15:42

One of those games had the Colorado high school finals right before and drew a great crowd, it was nice to see so many local rugby shirts/sweaters during the broadcast. The Raptors have the great advantage of having both their own stadium as well as a pitch right next to it - it would be in their best interest to host local youth rugby matches every single week on both fields and then offering all of the players free standing room only tickets. This would be a nice way to give back to the kids and parents would appreciate the free tickets for 15+ kids. Then it will really fill out the stadium as Infinity Park has lots of standing room space.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum