Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2027 RWC bids

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 01:44

Probably Gold Coast would be considered, right?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 02:16

Unlikely I feel. Ballymore Stadium which is of a similar capacity was scheduled to host half of the matches given to South-East Queensland in 2003 but demand for the games was so high they moved all the games to Suncorp Stadium. I think it ended up hosting around 10 matches with the lowest crowd being around 38,000 for USA v Fiji. Given the rise in Pacific Islander population in the country since then that same match would easily sell out the same venue today.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 11:32

Can someone provide an official link to Pichot stating there will be no bid for 2027? I cannot seem to find an official release or comments. only in Forums.

I can only find this interview from Reuters stating the opposite back in May 2017

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-rugb ... SKBN17Z1G6

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 12:22

I don't know if there is another one, but in this one he was rather pessimistic: https://www.facebook.com/SantiAngel1996 ... 6067958368

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 12:36

I think any country within easy reach of UK/ Eire and France would strand a good chance of staging a RWC with healthy crowds without much interest from locals. I am sure that if held in Holland/Belgium, or Spain/Portugal, you would see the big games sold out to travelling fans of said nations. Granted the smaller teams might struggle to fill a 30,000 seater in id-week games.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain bid as an outsider.

Similarly I think Italy would stand a good chance at hosting a successful RWC.

But in these cases there would be very little growth dividend for the game in these countries, because they would be attended mainly by travelling fans.

My choice would be Argentina, but I think they are more likely to succeed in 2031/2035 once the 2030 FIFA WC centenary obsession is over.

Australia is also in need of a boost to the sport, so 2027 makes sense for them.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 12:42

jservuk wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain bid as an outsider.

For 2027? No way. FER hinted at a future bid a few weeks ago, its president was heavily criticised and had to appear on a radio show to say it wouldn't be as crazy but would need government support to secure payments to World Rugby, something he admits currently is unimaginable.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 12:51

Armchair Fan wrote:
jservuk wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain bid as an outsider.

For 2027? No way. FER hinted at a future bid a few weeks ago, its president was heavily criticised and had to appear on a radio show to say it wouldn't be as crazy but would need government support to secure payments to World Rugby, something which currently is unimaginable.

Plus RWC won't grant it to a nation who doesn't offer the guarantees that will be a financial success (obviously except NZ) and serious local expertise. They'd probably risk with a bid like US/Canada, I don't think even Germany would be seriously taken into consideration as thing stands now.

So for 2027 I think we will see as bids: Italy, Ireland (again), Australia, Argentina. No outsiders. SA too unsafe and not likely to change. Possible US.

Talking about candidatures like Russia/Georgia, Belgium/Holland is waste of time

I was hoping 2023 is time for a country who didn't hosted to do it but they picked an established country so possible for 2027 is likely to see a country which didn't organize it until now, like Argentina.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 13:19

Yes, the only T2 bid possible now is USA.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 13:24

The Russia/Georgia suggestions was a piss take of the other thread, I thought that was obvious!

I would love some one to announce a bid on the basis of an expanded tournament. 2027 is ten years away, we really need the tournament to expand by then!!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 15 Dec 2017, 14:25

sk 88 wrote:The Russia/Georgia suggestions was a piss take of the other thread, I thought that was obvious!

Nothing directed toward you buddy, but since it's a full thread about this silly idea I thought to mention it.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 12:53

Those who wrote about the impossibility of the RWC in Russia / Georgia because of the policy you have lagged behind about real life. Remember the game Krasny Yar - Timisoara in Rustavi. And the latest news is that Enisei - Newcastle and Krasny Yar - London Irish will be held in Tbilisi. Obviously, politics does not affect rugby. In this case, Russian clubs play HOME games in Georgia. Where are the radicals? And during the RWC it is obvious that the Russian national team will play in Russian cities, and the Georgian national team in Georgian cities. So, politics is not a factor. The question is in the sports component.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 14:09

Every sport megaevent is affected by politics, it is naive to think it isn't. Events like the RWC need government support at least and a joint bid needs from 2 countries together. The RWC is not an ordinary match of a regional competition.

Russia has all stadiums necessary for a RWC, why would they want Georgia? Georgia has the rugby public Russia doesn't have, but Georgian public makes no difference for Russia because they won't fill Russian stadiums. The Russian side of the RWC would depend on tourists anyway - unless a rugby revolution happens in Russia, starting with huge amount of money invested. Ok, Russia can use less stadiums if they count with Georgia? How many? The RWC needs 8 or 10 stadiums. 6 (together with Georgia) or 10 (alone) different cities (without Krasnoyarsk) are a huge issue anyway. Georgia is not a solution for Russia.

On the Georgian side, everybody knows a megaevent is a powerful symbol of anything you want to show the world and a joint bid shows the world friendship between both countries. Why would Georgia want to show the world friendship with a country that has territorial issues with them? That would be the least clever thing to do if Georgia wants to keep claiming Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

The question is not safety or protests. "Politics" is much broader than this. A joint bid won't happen now. And both countries have other priorities in rugby.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 14:24

Here you are the official RWC bid evaluation topics. Russia and Georgia would need cooperation on all those aspects:

Venues and infrastructure commensurate with a top-tier major event
Comprehensive and enforceable public and private sector guarantees
A commercially successful event with a fully-funded, robust financial model
Operational excellence through an integrated and experienced delivery team
A vision that engages and inspires domestic and international audiences and contributes to the growth of rugby at all levels
An enabling environment of political and financial stability that respects the diversity of the Rugby World Cup’s global stakeholders
An environment and climate suited to top-level sport in a geography that allows maximum fan mobility

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 14:59

In terms of stadiums, airports, hotels and other infrastructure should be at the highest world level. In Russia from 2018 there will be a choice of 15 new stadiums from 30,000 to 80,000 seats, new airports and hotels in these cities. At the moment there are no rugby training bases. But this is a small financial cost. In Georgia, too, do not need huge costs. There is a main stadium in Tbilisi. A new stadium is being built in Batumi for 30,000 seats. Perhaps they will want a new stadium in Kutaisi? Everything else is there.
From the climate point of view, of course, it is desirable to slightly shift the timing of the RWC from October to September. But this is not critical, you can use more cities in the South of Russia (Rostov, Krasnodar, Sochi and Grozny).
But the main problem in the sports part. if Georgia on the home RWC by 90% will go to the playoffs. Russia should develop a program for the development of rugby at the level of the Japanese program, in order to have at least a theoretical chance of secession from the group.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 15:32

World Rugby needs the RWC to make lots of money. If you have a stadium for 40.000 people, you'll need full house, because it is really bad for World Rugby to have a half-empty stadium (no matter how many people are in the stadium, it looks bad half-empty). Considering that tourists will help buying tickets, can you sell let's say 20.000 tickets to Russians in a city like Rostov to watch Tonga vs Italy? And considering each city has many matches, can you sell a combined 80.000 tickets for Russian supporters in most of your cities? And those tickets must not be that cheap because, again, that is the money that sustains World Rugby for 4 years. I attended Moscow 2013 and it was really sad.

Brazil hosted the 2014 WC and we are averaging 5.000 peosple every Tupis matches. I am not confident we would sell 20.000 tickets for Brazilians to watch a rugby match between Tonga and Italy, for exemple, in a city like Recife. Not to mention a Namibia vs Romania match (with all respect).
I'll highlight two crucial points of the bidding process:

- Comprehensive and enforceable public and private sector guarantees
- A commercially successful event with a fully-funded, robust financial model

And in a joint bid!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 16:42

I agree. In this direction it is necessary to work. But if the WC2018 boom, people buy expensive tickets. Why this can not be on RWC? Football in Russia for the past 10-15 years has a very negative image. Footballers are associated with glamor, huge unreasonable money and a complete lack of respect for their fans. Rugby, with the right media company can become more popular than football in a short time. It's just necessary to explain that rugby is football, but without glamor and huge salaries, where respect is in 1 place, + elements of wrestling and chess. And just show interviews with rugby players. And rugby players, unlike football players, are educated people. I do not know how abroad, but in Russia the contrast between football players and rugby players is very noticeable. It just needs to be shown in the media.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 16:59

But everybody knows soccer. Everybody in Russia knows how to play soccer and have played it at least in childhood, right? You don't need to explain anything about the FIFA WC for anybody. With this, a good marketing is enough to have people buying tickets. And FIFA WC doesn't even need direct marketing from FIFA. It goes naturally, because the world is watching. That is not the case of rugby. Most people don't know the rules. Even the name. There a long road in countries like Russia and Brazil. That's a good question about China too.

The major differencs about USA, that makes more likely a quick growth of rugby as a product, is that they have American Football, which makes the road shorter. Also, they speak English and most of rugby things on internet are already in English. Sometimes we don't think about this cultural environment on internet that helps growing a sport.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 18:01

Language does not matter. Examples are France, Argentina and Georgia. About American football. Therefore, if rugby is positioned as the right football + wrestling + chess, then popularity will grow very quickly. Remember Georgia, as rugby popularity has grown very quickly there. The reasons may be different, but the experience of Georgia shows that this is real.
Or an example from another sport. In Russia, hockey began to play only in 1946. There was a state development program. In 1954, the USSR national team became the world hockey champion. And in 1956 she won the Olympic Games.
For a country such as Russia, this is real. A huge base of various athletes from wrestling, basketball, volleyball, hockey, athletics ... which can go to rugby if there is a development program.
A real example of rugby-7. Former athletics from Novosibirsk Mikhaltsova and Zdrokova about rugby did not know anything. Mkhaltsova began to engage in rugby 4 years ago, Zdrokova 3 years ago. Almost immediately they became leaders of the Russian national team. Last seasons they are in the top of World Series on tries.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 20:02

Rugby is big for a hundred years in France and Argentina. And in Japan for decades (maybe a hundred years). They are not in question. Language matters if you want to grow the sports from day to night, as it is obviously more difficult to produce information from almost zero, spread it and make people really interact with it and be passionate about the sport. You don't create a strong information environment from scratch in a couple of years. How is the Russian rugby press? Is it big and pro? People are living writing and covering rugby? Does it cover everything on rugby and supply a big audience with qualifty information? What about your general sports press? Do they know anything about rugby? I've worked with it in Brazil and that's not simple, man. Americans don't need to create information about nothing but their own domestic rugby. It really matters. The difference between starting to like something and become a serious engaged fan is huge. And the RWC needs a solid market.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 23:33

Russia would obviously have the infrastructure on the back of the FIFA world cup but would there be the interest from the local population and press? 10 years us a long way a way of course but the decision for 2027 is going to be made in only 3 or 4 years from now.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 17 Dec 2017, 10:55

If Japan can host a RWC then Russia could too. They're also closer to the major European markets. Plenty of foreigners would travel there and buy lots of tickets.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 17 Dec 2017, 15:41

iul wrote:If Japan can host a RWC then Russia could too. They're also closer to the major European markets. Plenty of foreigners would travel there and buy lots of tickets.

Did you forget about the 25 million Japanese who watched Japan-Samoa last RWC on tv?
No, that's not the same thing.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sun, 17 Dec 2017, 16:22

STMKY wrote:I agree. In this direction it is necessary to work. But if the WC2018 boom, people buy expensive tickets. Why this can not be on RWC? Football in Russia for the past 10-15 years has a very negative image. Footballers are associated with glamor, huge unreasonable money and a complete lack of respect for their fans. Rugby, with the right media company can become more popular than football in a short time. It's just necessary to explain that rugby is football, but without glamor and huge salaries, where respect is in 1 place, + elements of wrestling and chess. And just show interviews with rugby players. And rugby players, unlike football players, are educated people. I do not know how abroad, but in Russia the contrast between football players and rugby players is very noticeable. It just needs to be shown in the media.

I think it takes more than negativity to help usurp a sport in the nations heart. Few places have had as much negativity in soccer than Italy (football corruption), but in this time Rugby in Italy has gone back.

The contrast between educated rugby players and street rat footballers plays into the Elitist Rugby argument.

For me it's quite simple. If we want Rugby to grow in country XYZ, send T1 teams to that country regularly, over a sustained period, with the promise of a chance hosting RWC.

Postby 4N » Sun, 17 Dec 2017, 17:13

jservuk wrote:I think it takes more than negativity to help usurp a sport in the nations heart. Few places have had as much negativity in soccer than Italy (football corruption), but in this time Rugby in Italy has gone back.

The contrast between educated rugby players and street rat footballers plays into the Elitist Rugby argument.

For me it's quite simple. If we want Rugby to grow in country XYZ, send T1 teams to that country regularly, over a sustained period, with the promise of a chance hosting RWC.

Except that's exactly what has been done with Italy for 25 years, with minimal to no growth. What helps rugby grow in a country is A) success and B) traditional rivalries from other sports. Georgia has had both of these and the sport has taken off there.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 18 Dec 2017, 11:38

World Cup in Russia....Are you for real? World Cup in Russia is like Curling World Cup in Jamaica. Even if they had an ice rink who cares about curling in there? The same thing with Russia and rugby. Rugby is even in top...30?Or maybe 40? Russia is a superpower in sport, BUT in rugby is a lilliputian. If they only attract a 2-5% percent of Russian hockey fans and will talk about a totally different situation.
World Cup in Russia&Georgia...this is even better! Why not Olympic games in Israel & Palestine?!

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum