Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2027 RWC bids

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 12:33

I like watching footage from those old world cups. Seems like such a simpler time, lol.

Postby 4N » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 13:52

RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:1986 was the first world cup to have comprehensive live coverage in the US.

I am a bit disappointed, that I post a link to ALL tv coverages of ALL FIFA World Cups and two comments on, you post something wrong.
1982 was broadcasted on ABC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... ted_States

It’s from your link genius. :roll:

1986 marked the first time that the World Cup had extensive live cable and network television coverage in the United States

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 14:34

Out of curiosity I found this page which lists FIFA bids and hosts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Worl ... _World_Cup

Very interesting.

USA first bid in 1986 as replacements for Columbia.

Columbia seem like the least successful bidders having been turned down so often.

For 2027 Argentina would be nice, but not realistic given economic realities, and elsewhere is South America the very low profile of the game means it would be too early.

USA - it's a huge country, and promoting such and event would be a enormous task. I'm not sure USA would be good for Rugby as it was for FIFA, just yet.

I would like to see RWC go to new pastures, but I think all thing considered, Italy deserves a chance to help grow the game there. The logistics of working around the big football clubs aside, by that time, there will be shiny new stadia there (San Siro, Roma, Juve, Napoli). RWC and 6N would love for Italy to be strong. Maybe too close to France 2023 for some, but I don't care really.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 02:18

RugbyLiebe wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
In '94 Soccer had more participation than football at the youth level. Obviously wasn't like it is today, but it was just behind Baseball in participation at the youth level. .

Are there any gender differences? I always had the perception that soccer was seen as a girl's sport in the US.

Hah, that's funny that you mention that.

Girl's/women's soccer is pretty much dominated by white women in the USA. Only 4(!) players on the USWNT in 2019 were non-white, compare that to the USMNT which fields many Hispanic/African-American players (despite their selection controversies). Women's soccer is pretty much associated with the white middle/upper class. Men's soccer has a more mixed perception, of both upper class suburbanites and lower class neighborhoods playing it. I'd say overall though the image of American soccer has gotten a lot more diverse than it was in the past.

It's why I hope FIFA host the Women's World Cup in Latin America in the future; it would be the ultimate moment for women's football in the region and a big moment for Latin women in general, but I can only hope (hopefully Colombia or Mexico pull through with a bid).

jservuk wrote:Out of curiosity I found this page which lists FIFA bids and hosts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Worl ... _World_Cup

Very interesting.

USA first bid in 1986 as replacements for Columbia.

Columbia seem like the least successful bidders having been turned down so often.

For 2027 Argentina would be nice, but not realistic given economic realities, and elsewhere is South America the very low profile of the game means it would be too early.

USA - it's a huge country, and promoting such and event would be a enormous task. I'm not sure USA would be good for Rugby as it was for FIFA, just yet.

I would like to see RWC go to new pastures, but I think all thing considered, Italy deserves a chance to help grow the game there. The logistics of working around the big football clubs aside, by that time, there will be shiny new stadia there (San Siro, Roma, Juve, Napoli). RWC and 6N would love for Italy to be strong. Maybe too close to France 2023 for some, but I don't care really.

If Italy were to get a bid, I'd imagine they'd have to make huge adjustments to their programs just like the USSF did for 1994. I'm getting the feeling that WR/6N is getting pretty impatient with Italy and where they are. They've been a Tier 1.5 side for almost 20 years now and no sign of really breaking out soon (except an odd upset here and there, like Ireland in 2013 or South Africa in 2016). I'd imagine WR would want Italy to be competitive heading into a 2027 tournament.

victorsra wrote:But the 1994 WC host election was in 1988, which means in 1986 the interest wasn't driven by the bid, I guess. But if it happened just after the NASL collapse, what explains the coverage of 1986? USA did not play that WC (Canada did). USAMNT only returned to the WC in 1990.

My understanding of American soccer in the 80s is kinda murky, perhaps NBC wanted to fill the time with something. I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up the rights because of the Latino community, or perhaps they saw soccer as something worth investing long term. After all, the US WC bid dated back to 1983, so something was in the works.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:38

4N wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:1986 was the first world cup to have comprehensive live coverage in the US.

I am a bit disappointed, that I post a link to ALL tv coverages of ALL FIFA World Cups and two comments on, you post something wrong.

1986 marked the first time that the World Cup had extensive live cable and network television coverage in the United States

Which is significantly different than what you wrote by leaving out, that the news simply were that also cable tv was also involved in 1986 in opposition to 1982, were it was network only. We are also speaking of a time, when most European countries had three to four public tv channels (commercial tv channels i.e. not allowed in Germany until 1984, but that's a different story) and a time were the global tv broadcasting rights for 1986 brought in 49 million Swiss franc (66 million Euro in today's money after inflation).
So basically soccer broadcasting in the USA was definitely not behind anyone and definitely not only there in 1986, but in 1982.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 13:20

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:
My understanding of American soccer in the 80s is kinda murky, perhaps NBC wanted to fill the time with something. I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up the rights because of the Latino community, or perhaps they saw soccer as something worth investing long term. After all, the US WC bid dated back to 1983, so something was in the works.

Isn't rugby still murky?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 15:02

RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Which is significantly different than what you wrote by leaving out, that the news simply were that also cable tv was also involved in 1986 in opposition to 1982, were it was network only. We are also speaking of a time, when most European countries had three to four public tv channels (commercial tv channels i.e. not allowed in Germany until 1984, but that's a different story) and a time were the global tv broadcasting rights for 1986 brought in 49 million Swiss franc (66 million Euro in today's money after inflation).
So basically soccer broadcasting in the USA was definitely not behind anyone and definitely not only there in 1986, but in 1982.

In 1982 ESPN (a cable channel) showed seven matches total, PBS aired a delayed highlights show and NBC carried the final. In 1986 most matches were shown live. Just admit you were wrong.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 18:58

4N wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

In 1982 ESPN (a cable channel) showed seven matches total, PBS aired a delayed highlights show and NBC carried the final. In 1986 most matches were shown live. Just admit you were wrong.

I was wrong then, sorry. To be honest I was wondering if they only meant the final, when it said finals above.
I am but surprised though, that the actually had it on cable. Not a perfect but also not a bad coverage for that time. We are so used to see every single event, that I myself tend to forget, that you couldn't even see most soccer European cup games on tv in the 1990ies.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby 4N » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 20:25

No worries. 1982 was before my time but ESPN was new (launched in ‘79) and they were showing whatever they would get the rights to. International soccer was still minor in the US at the time so it fit with the rest of their programming which included stuff like Aussie Rules.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 04:12

Huh, today I learned.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 07:37

Mentioned in the Russian thread that Russia are officially bidding for 2027.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 11:58

thatrugbyguy wrote:Mentioned in the Russian thread that Russia are officially bidding for 2027.

I'd prefer Russia to USA for 2027.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 12:24

No guarantee at this stage the US will bid.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 19:14

thatrugbyguy wrote:No guarantee at this stage the US will bid.

We've already submitted our letter of interest for 2027 and 2031. So we've begun step 1.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 19:45

Italy should bid indeed.

Postby 4N » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 19:59

victorsra wrote:Italy should bid indeed.

Hosting would definitely be good for Italian rugby but I assume they are looking at 2031 with 2023 in France.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 21:06

I hope it will be Argentina or, as second choice US + Canada

I'll probably take a few months off from work to make a long trip in Americas, South of North, I don't care.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 01:22

thatrugbyguy wrote:Mentioned in the Russian thread that Russia are officially bidding for 2027.

That's going to be interesting. Russia did a great job hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup, so many of my mates had a great time out there.

Wonder if the Russian public will buy into the sport with such curiosity. I'd imagine the Russians would need to be up to speed in order to host the tourney in terms of team quality.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 08:16

A lot can happen in 10 years as we saw with Japan. If Russia were to host WR would have to invest heavily into ensuring they get the best possibility to compete at home.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 17:45

Sort of like how Brazil got assistance from WR prior to the Rugby 7s in their country, though someone like victorsra probably has way more insight on how much of an effect this really had.

Edit: does Russia even have proper home rugby facilities these days outside of Sochi? I heard rumblings of something happening after the 2018 World Cup but again I don't have a whole lot of insight there, except Moscow's weather can go from "winter apocalypse" to "heat deathwave" quite easily.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 20:56

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:Sort of like how Brazil got assistance from WR prior to the Rugby 7s in their country, though someone like victorsra probably has way more insight on how much of an effect this really had.

Edit: does Russia even have proper home rugby facilities these days outside of Sochi? I heard rumblings of something happening after the 2018 World Cup but again I don't have a whole lot of insight there, except Moscow's weather can go from "winter apocalypse" to "heat deathwave" quite easily.

In the shortest and most demeaning reply possible: er, yes.
In a slightly longer and no-less "are you effing kidding with dis?"" er, yes, some pretty ok world-class facilities, yes."

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 21:03

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:Sort of like how Brazil got assistance from WR prior to the Rugby 7s in their country, though someone like victorsra probably has way more insight on how much of an effect this really had.

Well, what happened is that Brazil hosted 3 times de Women's Sevens Series. Attendances weren't that good (but much better than recent Tupis matches), but nothing much different from other women's series legs. Those events were really well organized and they helped the Braziian Rugby Union to develop know-how on organizing big events. Very positive for this perspective.

Which is important to note about the Olympics is that men's rugby sevens is not and has never been popular in Brazil, whilst it is still now the base for women's rugby here. That Olympics are NOT what helped rugby's populrity in Brazil. Rugby's boom here happened between 2003 and 2011 or maybe until 2014, with RWC, 6N, TRC broadcast. What Rio 2016 did was helping the Brazilian Rugby Union to become professional, which is REALLY important. That is indeed the Olympic legacy. But the number of rugby clubs and players is NOT a result of anything related to Rio 2016 (excluding kids playing Tag Rugby, that was an Olympic legacy indeed). That's why in 2016, before the Olympics, the Brazilian Rugby Union turned its eyes to 15s.

Therefore, I don't think Brazil's Olympic experience is usuful for the discussion about a RWC in Russia. BTW, I attended the RWC7s 2013 in Moscow and attendances were really low. My trip was great, but the stadium atmospheere very disappointing...

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 12:11

A 24 team RWC for a USA 2027 bid.

Thoughts?

As you can tell I know more about rugby than graphic design!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 12:23

I'd probably change Austin to Denver. There's no way you could have a US world cup and not have games in Denver. Dates overlapping the NFL is not a good idea IMO.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 12:46

Woudn't it be better to be USA+Canada?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum