Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2027 RWC bids

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 13:22

Play Canada games close to the border and it shouldn't be an issue. Seattle is only a couple of hours from Vancouver.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 13:42

I am thinking about Canada. It should be good for their rugby. Let's not forget Canadian rugby is much more traditional, it needs those sorts of events. Toronto + Vancouver would be enough and good for the whole competition.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 18:06

I think Canada could host a RWC on its own to be honest. It is a country of something like 40m people.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 18:08

thatrugbyguy wrote:I'd probably change Austin to Denver. There's no way you could have a US world cup and not have games in Denver. Dates overlapping the NFL is not a good idea IMO.

Minimised so only the semis and final over lap, and neither overlap directly with a game, I think those are strong enough games to hold their own even in NFL season time.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 18:09

thatrugbyguy wrote:Play Canada games close to the border and it shouldn't be an issue. Seattle is only a couple of hours from Vancouver.

Yes, hence choice of Seattle and Detroit for two of their games.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 Oct 2019, 09:44

sk 88 wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I'd probably change Austin to Denver. There's no way you could have a US world cup and not have games in Denver. Dates overlapping the NFL is not a good idea IMO.

Minimised so only the semis and final over lap, and neither overlap directly with a game, I think those are strong enough games to hold their own even in NFL season time.

It's the preseason as well that's the issue. You're not going to get access to any of the NFL stadiums 3-4 weeks before the actual season starts. Besides, you'd have to deal with NFL lines on the pitch being visible and uglying up the look of the game. World Cup in the US needs to be held between June and July as to avoid the NFL. Baseball can be worked around with turf being laid on the field if you need a couple of baseball stadiums as venues, and the schedule can be worked around so RWC games can be played when the clubs go on the road for a long time.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 20 Oct 2019, 09:56

With modern technology you don't get that problem with lines on the pitch at the highest level anymore. All the matches are bunched together so teams can still run thier normal pre-season schedule.
A RWC will happen in USA eventually and I really doubt it will be played in June or July.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 Oct 2019, 10:05

Every rugby match I've seen played at Soldier Field over the last few years has had pretty ugly NFL lines on the field, so I'm a little doubtful.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 20 Oct 2019, 11:36

Japan ot looking good this game. SA defence is too good

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sun, 20 Oct 2019, 12:54

sk 88 wrote:With modern technology you don't get that problem with lines on the pitch at the highest level anymore. All the matches are bunched together so teams can still run thier normal pre-season schedule.
A RWC will happen in USA eventually and I really doubt it will be played in June or July.

A lot of the stadiums in Japan have soccer lines if you look closely enough. June and July will be terrible times for rugby, everywhere in the US is easily 70+ F. You can get some exceptions in the north as it gets dark but it’s still hot all over the country.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 21 Oct 2019, 01:10

USA hasn't put in the hard work yet. If the Americas are to get the World cup then my vote is for it to go to Argentina, With possibly a few games in Uruguay. Problems i see with the USA hosting the world is hosting rugby games so far apart from one another! i feel it will eliminate any national vibe that having a tournament creates. Plus Football stadiums aren't regulation size.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 03:03

sk 88 wrote:I think Canada could host a RWC on its own to be honest. It is a country of something like 40m people.

I think there are a few big hurdles with Canada, please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm Mexican).

Weather is probably a big factor in it. If WR insists on keeping the fall schedule for the WC, then that could be an issue because you're playing in a country known as the Great White North. I don't think Canada snows much until November, but I can't imagine the conditions being particularly ideal.

If I recall correctly, aren't many pitches in Canada artificial turf? This was a big issue for the Women's World Cup 2015 (and turned into a gender politics controversy when it really didn't have to, and was a bad understanding), since World Cup games are traditionally played on natural turf. But, as I understand, maintaining a natural turf in Canada is difficult because it gets so cold up there.

Again, I could be wrong. Correct me please if I am.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 07:56

sk 88 wrote:Image

A 24 team RWC for a USA 2027 bid.

Thoughts?

As you can tell I know more about rugby than graphic design!

You have too many soooo big stadiums. Rugby isn't that popular in the US, such big NFL stadiums shouldn't be used outside of final phases and huge games in pool (considering your groups, Irl vs Nzl; Wal vs Rsa; Fra vs Aus; and probably the oppener with USA).
There's nothing worst than empty stadiums.
You should better looked for 25-40K stadiums for the pool games.

For example in DC, how do you expect to futhfill FedEx Field ? It would be better to used RFK Stadium (and that remains very big).
In Miami, instead of Hard Rock, go to AU Stadium in Boca Raton (north suburd of Miami).
Mercedes-Benz in Atlanta is too big; or is to be used only for final. Boddy Dodd would be more appropriate, even if sooo big too.
And so on ...

Postby ihateblazers » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 09:36

If you're not playing in the large high profile NFL stadium's then there really isn't any point in taking the world cup to the US. Im not American but I would think that the tournament would be seen as Mickey mouse if it was played in mostly MLS stadium's.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 13:10

The issue with the US is that is has a lot of 60-70,000 seat stadiums, and a lot of 15-25,000 seat soccer stadiums, but not a great deal in between. All the 35-40,000 seat stadiums are usually in areas that are more remote and harder to get to.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 14:02

That is exactly the issue I came up against. Generally the NFL stadiums are actually smaller than the college ones, and anything around 50k is a baseball stadium in the bigger cities.

Not sure if the fixtures have come through clearly on the graphic, the bigger stadiums were reserved for the T1 matches, with the T2vT2 ones proposed for the MLS stadiums.

I think you could fill FedEX Field for a RWC quarter or semi final.

Postby 4N » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 14:57

RFK is falling apart and the field at Bobby Dodd is too narrow for rugby.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 16:23

ihateblazers wrote:If you're not playing in the large high profile NFL stadium's then there really isn't any point in taking the world cup to the US. Im not American but I would think that the tournament would be seen as Mickey mouse if it was played in mostly MLS stadium's.

NFL stadiums aren't World Rugby regulation size.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 17:10

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:
sk 88 wrote:I think Canada could host a RWC on its own to be honest. It is a country of something like 40m people.

I think there are a few big hurdles with Canada, please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm Mexican).

Weather is probably a big factor in it. If WR insists on keeping the fall schedule for the WC, then that could be an issue because you're playing in a country known as the Great White North. I don't think Canada snows much until November, but I can't imagine the conditions being particularly ideal.

If I recall correctly, aren't many pitches in Canada artificial turf? This was a big issue for the Women's World Cup 2015 (and turned into a gender politics controversy when it really didn't have to, and was a bad understanding), since World Cup games are traditionally played on natural turf. But, as I understand, maintaining a natural turf in Canada is difficult because it gets so cold up there.

Again, I could be wrong. Correct me please if I am.

Canada also has some of the most expensive domestic flights. It makes hosting any tournament in Canada alone pretty tough.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 17:12

Pretty certain all of those have hosted soccer games, which means the pitch is big enough as it was in 2015.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 17:12

snapper37 wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:If you're not playing in the large high profile NFL stadium's then there really isn't any point in taking the world cup to the US. Im not American but I would think that the tournament would be seen as Mickey mouse if it was played in mostly MLS stadium's.

Not true, plenty of stadiums can host a rugby pitch. NFL fields are smaller but many have space around them.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 20:20

Agreed. It's way too early for the USA. Half-full first-rate stadiums or full second-rate stadiums - either way - it could do irreparable damage to the image and credibility of the sport's showpiece event. & I really don't know what the big hurry is to send it to the States when you've got other worthy contenders champing at the bit to host the tournament.

I live in an expat community and was talking to some Americans about the World Cup today. Typically they had no idea it was on, were very surprised to learn that France was good, and wondered if the US had qualified. & these guys were sports fans who could tell you everything about what's going on in the NFL. But they were able to guess that the All Blacks were hot favorites and the US would've lost all its games. That's pretty much what the average American knows about rugby.

America has the poorest record of the second tier nations at the event with three wins from 25 games now, and this year's performance was among its worst. They're on the right track with professional rugby up and running now but require at least another decade or two before the effects of that will really become apparent.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 00:51

snapper37 wrote:

Many of the new venues are WR compliant for size of pitch.

Also in regards to MLS stadiums...the MLS schedule is going on right now so those venues would have an availability issue.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 02:25

TheStroBro wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

Many of the new venues are WR compliant for size of pitch.

Also in regards to MLS stadiums...the MLS schedule is going on right now so those venues would have an availability issue.

MLS is going on any time the RWC could conceivably be. There would be something of an availability issue but we've held tests at MLS stadiums during the summer, so it could be worked around. But I definitely agree with those saying it would need to be in big stadiums for credibility. NFL stadiums also have these things called personal seat licenses (PSLs) which is basically first choice tickets for season ticket holders who have to buy the PSL in order to get season tickets. That means the event immediately goes on their radar for free to tens of thousands of sports fans. There's also a sense of occasion at NFL stadiums that there just isn't at MLS stadiums, even if the atmosphere is often better in the smaller MLS stadiums. If you want to use MLS stadiums, do it in non-NFL cities like Portland, Sacramento or Salt Lake City where that stadium will be the best stadium in the city.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 06:21

According to the 2020 - 2032 World Rugby International Calendar, the World Cup can only be played in September/October.

"Rugby World Cup window cemented within the calendar, kicking off one week earlier in the second week of September"

https://djcoilrugby.com/2017/03/16/worl ... -schedule/

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum