Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2027 RWC bids

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 10:49

But RWC doesn't require a full stop of other events in its venues if I am not wrong. I believe Tokyo Stadium hosted a FC Tokyo match during the RWC. In 2015 many soccer stadiums were used in the middle of Premier League, alternating events.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 10:52

FIFA world Cup was only ever suppose to be in June a well. Money talks.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 12:42

victorsra wrote:But RWC doesn't require a full stop of other events in its venues if I am not wrong. I believe Tokyo Stadium hosted a FC Tokyo match during the RWC. In 2015 many soccer stadiums were used in the middle of Premier League, alternating events.

It's ironic that the international breaks that infuriate many English PL fans helped with scheduling for 2015 RWC. Ironic because RU has not been able to implement such a thing but benefited from it in 2015.

I can't think of any EPL or FL games that actually got moved for RWC 2015.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 12:48

Edgar wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:If you're not playing in the large high profile NFL stadium's then there really isn't any point in taking the world cup to the US. Im not American but I would think that the tournament would be seen as Mickey mouse if it was played in mostly MLS stadium's.

Agreed. It's way too early for the USA. Half-full first-rate stadiums or full second-rate stadiums - either way - it could do irreparable damage to the image and credibility of the sport's showpiece event. & I really don't know what the big hurry is to send it to the States when you've got other worthy contenders champing at the bit to host the tournament.

I live in an expat community and was talking to some Americans about the World Cup today. Typically they had no idea it was on, were very surprised to learn that France was good, and wondered if the US had qualified. & these guys were sports fans who could tell you everything about what's going on in the NFL. But they were able to guess that the All Blacks were hot favorites and the US would've lost all its games. That's pretty much what the average American knows about rugby.

America has the poorest record of the second tier nations at the event with three wins from 25 games now, and this year's performance was among its worst. They're on the right track with professional rugby up and running now but require at least another decade or two before the effects of that will really become apparent.

True, but if award the RWC they'd probably do what Japan did and come good.

The test now for the Japanese model is to see if it is sustainable.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 13:47

I actually think Japan's success has little to do with winning them World Cup hosting rights. I think a fortunate series of coaching appointments is the reason for them beating SA 4 years ago, and making the QF's this year.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 14:11

jservuk wrote:
victorsra wrote:But RWC doesn't require a full stop of other events in its venues if I am not wrong. I believe Tokyo Stadium hosted a FC Tokyo match during the RWC. In 2015 many soccer stadiums were used in the middle of Premier League, alternating events.

It's ironic that the international breaks that infuriate many English PL fans helped with scheduling for 2015 RWC. Ironic because RU has not been able to implement such a thing but benefited from it in 2015.

But it doesnt need to be moved. RWC can schedule its fixtures after NFL and MLS using stadia availability. The only effect woud be maybe more stadiums used than the normal - a this has a cost.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 24 Oct 2019, 20:00

Most NFL stadiums only host 2 preseason games in August and 8 regular season games from September to December. The other weekends are free (when the teams play away), except if the stadium hosts two NFL teams or an MLS team.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 25 Oct 2019, 02:32

antlat wrote:According to the 2020 - 2032 World Rugby International Calendar, the World Cup can only be played in September/October.

"Rugby World Cup window cemented within the calendar, kicking off one week earlier in the second week of September"

https://djcoilrugby.com/2017/03/16/worl ... -schedule/

And yet those assholes just tried to junk the schedule they agreed to.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 25 Oct 2019, 07:34

victorsra wrote:
jservuk wrote:

But it doesnt need to be moved. RWC can schedule its fixtures after NFL and MLS using stadia availability. The only effect woud be maybe more stadiums used than the normal - a this has a cost.

Indeed, 14 stadiums used is more than normal precisely to make the schedule realistic from a stadium availabilty point of view.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 14:33

Interesting article in the guardian regarding the next two world cups...

Basically the next two World Cups (2027 & 2031) will be announced at the same time. It appears World Rugby want one emerging country to host a tournament and this can be shared (so in theory America & Canada could make a joint bid) and the other World Cup to be a cash cow as in a nation like Australia or England take it on.

Also World Rugby will see if they can have 24 teams participate from 2027 but do not want the tournament to be extended by 6 weeks.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... for-growth

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 15:59

That is great news. I suspect it will be either SA (interest tbc) or Australia in 2027, followed by the US in 2031. Argentina must be in the mix, but it is highly doubtful they would hold it in the Southern Hemisphere twice in a row, meaning the only possible pairing would be with England - who just hosted in 2015. & of course we know about Argentina's financial problems. We also know World Rugby is keen as mustard to stage the tournament in the States, and this will return it to the Northern Hemisphere. That's also going to give US rugby another decade or so to get its act together (sorely needed, judging by this year's RWC).

& expansion to 24 is even better news. I know I'm repeating myself, but a 6 pool tournament leading to Octavos will actually be a few days shorter than the current model as group games would be played simultaneously, without need of byes, and with more fixtures per round. Of course, the onus will then be on World Rugby to make sure it has 24 competitive teams. A lot of work will need to be done to ensure the likes of Germany, Kenya, Hong Kong and Brazil aren't hopelessly out of their depth against the top teams. Fixtures against tier 1 nations will be required before they enter the cauldron.

Postby 4N » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 16:09

In Spain, Romania, Brazil, you already have three nations of similar strength to the lower end of the current RWC...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 16:17

There are 22 RWC-level nations, as Spain and Romania are being better than Russia in the REC.

If I produce a Power Ranking of international rugby I would say now Brazil could be considered a 23rd force, if we confirm this next weekend beating Portugal. But Brazil is still not RWC-level. However, any of the Top 25 nations (at least) would be able to reach such level in 4 years, if there is investment.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 16:21

tryman wrote:Interesting article in the guardian regarding the next two world cups...

Basically the next two World Cups (2027 & 2031) will be announced at the same time. It appears World Rugby want one emerging country to host a tournament and this can be shared (so in theory America & Canada could make a joint bid) and the other World Cup to be a cash cow as in a nation like Australia or England take it on.

Also World Rugby will see if they can have 24 teams participate from 2027 but do not want the tournament to be extended by 6 weeks.

This is a big sign they want 2031 in USA/Canada. Anounce and prepare, just like when they anounced 2015-2019 together. I still bet 2027 will be in Australia.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 17:21

victorsra wrote:
tryman wrote:Interesting article in the guardian regarding the next two world cups...

This is a big sign they want 2031 in USA/Canada. Anounce and prepare, just like when they anounced 2015-2019 together. I still bet 2027 will be in Australia.

I’d be down with Australia hosting again, though they’ve already hosted twice. They need a boost to their lagging interest in the sport so hopefully this can be a kick in the ass....but if it didn’t do enough in 2003 it’s unlikely to be a game changer in 2027. If I had to pick a Tier 1 country to host it’d either be Argentina or Italy, both of which would benefit greatly from a nationwide tournament. I think Italy would be more successful and would benefit more though.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 19:08

I'd love to see the RWC in Italy too.

With UEFA vibrations, maybe a Pan-European RWC would be awesome, like Italy-Spain-Portugal-Germany-Romania. Maybe something like Rome, Milan, Padova, Firenze, Bacelona, Madrid, Bilbao, Valladolid, Lisbon, Bucharest, Munich, Frankfurt.

But that would need all those countries qualified.

Or a smaller thing, like Italy-Spain-Portugal: Rome, Milan, Padova, Firenze, Bologna, Napoli, Bacelona, Madrid, Bilbao, Valladolid, Lisbon, Porto;

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 20:06

South Africa surely has to host a RWC again. I know South Africa has societal issues but I can't imagine the country will detoriate enough to compromise hosting a major international tournament.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 20:24

Yeah, if they bid for 2027 (and if WR rules out Europe for 2027), SA is a major contender.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 20:46

eal22 wrote:South Africa surely has to host a RWC again. I know South Africa has societal issues but I can't imagine the country will detoriate enough to compromise hosting a major international tournament.

I mean, Mexico is hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2026.

Sure our country is going through some serious issues (funny enough we have more parallels with South Africa than we would like to think) but in terms of education, health care, and transport and other areas we are actually still better off than much of Latin America. I imagine South Africa's internal situation is probably better than much of Africa as well (though then again I have no idea, and in terms of unemployment, inflation and economy Mexico is much better off than South Africa is).

A South Africa RWC would be beautiful though. It's a country where the fan-base of the sport is largely non-white, and the black population seems to really be embracing the sport. Plus, I loved the atmosphere of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, it honestly had a memorable feel to it, I imagine the RWC would be the same.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 20:48

Lets assume it goes to SA in 2027, then where? it all depends will the RWC make a profit? that is the underlyning issue. whomever is awarded for 2027 must guarantee is going to make money.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 21:03

Mexico need to improve their rugby expedentially before they are considered for the Rugby world cup, possibly 2037 at the earliest. Also Colombia's economy is coming in leaps and bounds at 1.4% interesting to see how the country develops in the next 5 - 7 year cycle.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 21:58

In 2009 WR elected both 2015 and 2019 together. They selected Japan 10 years before. The pattern is being repeated, with 2031 selected in 2021. I guess they'll choose a T1 in 2027 (AUS or SA) and go for USA in 2031. 10 years to prepare an alternative market.

Thinking about USA 31, I guess it would be possible to make the WC in mid-July/August, running away from NFL. Super Rugby and European leagues would need to end by the end of May (that's possible to do). Players would rest for like 2 weeks and teams would play a couple of tests in late June/Early July. TRC would be in September/October. European players would rest in September and European leagues would start in October. Ok too.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 22:42

Thomas wrote:Mexico need to improve their rugby expedentially before they are considered for the Rugby world cup, possibly 2037 at the earliest. Also Colombia's economy is coming in leaps and bounds at 1.4% interesting to see how the country develops in the next 5 - 7 year cycle.

I think some people take my sarcasm a bit too seriously and at face value :P my point was more of that it's really difficult to find a nation that would be seriously suitable to host the RWC and is on the "fringe", especially since OP mentioned the Middle East.

I think the only nation outside the traditional eons of rugby (so, let's be very conservative and say British Isles/France and AUS/NZ/SA) that would be a serious host would be Italy, Argentina would be a logical host but they would have to be put aside to the later future because their current economic situation isn't easy. Maybe Spain? We discussed the USA/Canada earlier; rugby in the USA is very niche, and Canada's union is absolutely shambolic and has no business hosting a RWC. Maybe 2031 could be a better timeline, see how MLR is doing by then.

South Africa (in theory) has the infrastructure to pull it off, maybe some work needing to be done. But they also have a bad economic crisis, and hell their electrical company is in serious shit. But it's worth noting that it's a tourist hotspot, and I'm sure the middle/upper classes of the country will be engaged with the tournament.

Colombia is definitely doing well btw, great country with amazing people, they are recovering well from that stupid drug war and have a great outlook given the region's situation; if they can deal with corruption and improve infrastructure they'll be doing great.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 22:45

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:
eal22 wrote:South Africa surely has to host a RWC again. I know South Africa has societal issues but I can't imagine the country will detoriate enough to compromise hosting a major international tournament.

Sure our country is going through some serious issues (funny enough we have more parallels with South Africa than we would like to think) but in terms of education, health care, and transport and other areas we are actually still better off than much of Latin America. I imagine South Africa's internal situation is probably better than much of Africa as well (though then again I have no idea, and in terms of unemployment, inflation and economy Mexico is much better off than South Africa is).

A South Africa RWC would be beautiful though. It's a country where the fan-base of the sport is largely non-white, and the black population seems to really be embracing the sport. Plus, I loved the atmosphere of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, it honestly had a memorable feel to it, I imagine the RWC would be the same.

Uh...Mexico isn't really hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2026. Three cities in Mexico and Canada will host part of pool play. But in reality the World Cup is being hosted by the United States.

Mexico needs to qualify for the ARC before we even talk about the World Cup...and also not routinely lose to USA South.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 22:51

TheStroBro wrote:
Return_of_BG_97 wrote:

Uh...Mexico isn't really hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2026. Three cities in Mexico and Canada will host part of pool play. But in reality the World Cup is being hosted by the United States.

Mexico needs to qualify for the ARC before we even talk about the World Cup...and also not routinely lose to USA South.

Even a few games will require extensive renovations, logistics, etc. Preferably you want to choose a country where there will be good local engagement, and the situation will be stable by the time the tourney comes. Not to mention the FIFA WC will have more eyeballs than the RWC.

Responding to hosting the RWC - read my previous post, I wasn't serious

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum