Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2027 RWC bids

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 00:51

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:Colombia is definitely doing well btw, great country with amazing people, they are recovering well from that stupid drug war and have a great outlook given the region's situation; if they can deal with corruption and improve infrastructure they'll be doing great.

Yeah things are looking up for sure. Unfortunately my fiancées hometown is way too hot to really grow the sport (easily 25-30 C every day) but cities like Medellin and Bogota have perfect weather all year round.

They’ve overcome the drug wars pretty nicely and Medellin has recovered very well and is a very trendy city. There are still internal issues with the FARC/ELN as well some spillover effects from Venezuela but the vast majority of these issues would ever be seen by tourists. Bogota draws a lot of similarities to Mexico City as well.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 02:48

Australia hosting in 2027 would be good for the game down here, but the issue is the tournament will have to be moved to October - November due the NRL and AFL playoffs. This is why I'm not convinced that Sept - Oct window is all that concrete for the World Cup, because Australia are not going to schedule the biggest international tournament we've had in 20 years at the same time as the biggest domestic football games of the season. The plus side for 2027 is we'll have much better venues in place if we win the hosting rights. Many of the stadiums that were used in 2003 would have either been upgraded significantly, or outright built from scratch by the time the tournament comes around. Of the stadiums used in 2003, only Lang Park in Brisbane and Docklands Stadium in Melbourne are still as they are. We'll probably see a more even distribution of matches too given how much more well known the sport is now. Brisbane alone got 9 matches in total, and I think Sydney got 11 games split across two venues. So half the games were in two cities.

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 03:46

The USA could not host a RWC in July/August, it is way too hot, unless you use indoor stadiums. Lord knows how hot some parts of the country will be by 2031. I live in Texas and May-October is mostly very hot and humid.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 04:15

Yeah, and there you are the issues.

You can't have a RWC from January to May, as it would disrupt deeply the European season and Super Rugby (clubs pay salaries, let's not start with this discussion), while from September to December you have NFL. So, what you do? Play together with NFL and MLB playoffs or play with a horrible heat? Choose.

In July-August you'd need match with 6N countries and South Africa starting like 6-7 PM, to avoid big heat but make it still ok for European TV, while teams like NZ, Australia, Japan could have their matches starting like 9 PM. Maybe a schedule with like 5, 7:15 and 9:45 PM. It will be hot, but not scorching, we hope so.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 04:54

Don't forget, the US has 4 time zones to work with.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 05:34

Yes, probably the better would be East Coast in earlier matches and West Coast in later matches.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 08:51

thatrugbyguy wrote:Australia hosting in 2027 would be good for the game down here, but the issue is the tournament will have to be moved to October - November due the NRL and AFL playoffs. This is why I'm not convinced that Sept - Oct window is all that concrete for the World Cup, because Australia are not going to schedule the biggest international tournament we've had in 20 years at the same time as the biggest domestic football games of the season. The plus side for 2027 is we'll have much better venues in place if we win the hosting rights. Many of the stadiums that were used in 2003 would have either been upgraded significantly, or outright built from scratch by the time the tournament comes around. Of the stadiums used in 2003, only Lang Park in Brisbane and Docklands Stadium in Melbourne are still as they are. We'll probably see a more even distribution of matches too given how much more well known the sport is now. Brisbane alone got 9 matches in total, and I think Sydney got 11 games split across two venues. So half the games were in two cities.

Oct-Nov is a total non-starter. Or would be if anyone had any respect for the competitions and clubs that employ way over half the players at the RWC.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 09:45

Well, unfortunately, it's not going to happen in Australia during September.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 10:41

Sounds like they're ruled out of hosting then. Shame.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 11:37

What exactly are WR going to do? If they want to alternate between T1 and T2 hosting and Australia is the only option in 2027 then they are going to have to move it to October just like they did in 2003. There's no compromise here, the World Cup will have to take place after the AFL and NRL seasons. Good luck getting any press coverage or crowd anticipation in Australia if they try.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 12:03

World Cup is a big event. If it can't get the coverage needed in Australia I guess you are telling me Australia are sadly not able to host it. Which is a big shame for us all. I guess we'll see who else bids because from what you are saying it will have to go there. People on here can't complain about club v country pressures on one hand then deliberately exacerbate the situation on the other just to suit one country. Big shame for Australia but I guess it will have to be hosted elsewhere in 2027.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 12:32

Well, unfortunately WR won't have a choice. You won't get the venues, nor will you get the crowds because everyone is going to be focused on the playoffs for the two biggest football codes in the nation. But by all means, find another T1 host outside of Europe. It's not like South Africa have failed in their last 4 bids.....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 13:11

thatrugbyguy wrote:What exactly are WR going to do? If they want to alternate between T1 and T2 hosting and Australia is the only option in 2027 then they are going to have to move it to October just like they did in 2003. There's no compromise here, the World Cup will have to take place after the AFL and NRL seasons. Good luck getting any press coverage or crowd anticipation in Australia if they try.

They're not that big.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 13:29

I don't think NRL-AFL are that big problem. Look, if the RWC starts again bu Spetember 20th, you'll have NRL and AFL with not more than 2 matches per weekend for like 2-3 weekends. You can manage the schedule of each stadiums and the time of the matches as well. Japan had its baseball finals and soccer decisive rounds during RWC and it was manageable.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 13:58

victorsra wrote:I don't think NRL-AFL are that big problem. Look, if the RWC starts again bu Spetember 20th, you'll have NRL and AFL with not more than 2 matches per weekend for like 2-3 weekends. You can manage the schedule of each stadiums and the time of the matches as well. Japan had its baseball finals and soccer decisive rounds during RWC and it was manageable.

How is the NFL an issue in the US but NRL/AFL is not in Australia?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 14:06

Because NRL-AFL will be in their semifinals stage. Only 2 matches each for like the first 2 weekends of RWC. You can overcome that with scheduling. O f course, as we don't know who would be in the playoffs, it would be up to the RWC to do the schudule and NRL/AFL to adapt, but if you use major NRL/AFL stadium for just 1 matches of each of those weekends there is room in the schedule without sacrifice. NFL is 16 matches every weekend during the whole RWC... you can have easily the stadiums with goodf planning, but there is a bigger problem for TV.
Last edited by victorsra on Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 14:11

plus MLB playoffs...

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 15:28

Somebody suggested a Pan-European tournament with Italy as central host. Victorsra, perhaps? Anyway, I couldn't find it, but I've previously discussed the idea. I don't think it will happen in 2027 or 2031, but perhaps later in the 2030s. It will be interesting to see how the Euros goes next year, when they are held at various cities across Europe. My suggestion included groups in Georgia and Romania, as well as France, Britain, Ireland and Italy, and play-offs in Tbilisi, Bucharest, Sochi, Milan, Barcelona and Munich etc, with the final location playing on the old idiom All Roads Lead to Rome. It could be a goer for 2035 if either SA or Australia are paired with the US for the 11th and 12th installments, as that would mean the tournament will have been away from Europe for a whole 12 years :shock:

My latest for the Roar: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/11/05/r ... world-cup/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 16:15

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:I don't think NRL-AFL are that big problem. Look, if the RWC starts again bu Spetember 20th, you'll have NRL and AFL with not more than 2 matches per weekend for like 2-3 weekends. You can manage the schedule of each stadiums and the time of the matches as well. Japan had its baseball finals and soccer decisive rounds during RWC and it was manageable.

The stadium size for one. The stadiums in Australia are the same size field surface or bigger. Not smaller.....

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 16:16

Still think a joint effort between Argentina and Uruguay would be interesting, ...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 16:23

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:

Even a few games will require extensive renovations, logistics, etc. Preferably you want to choose a country where there will be good local engagement, and the situation will be stable by the time the tourney comes. Not to mention the FIFA WC will have more eyeballs than the RWC.

Responding to hosting the RWC - read my previous post, I wasn't serious

Mexico hosted a FIFA World Cup on its own in 1986...facility wise it could do it again...but you have a lot of the same issues as South Africa does now just in different form with the Cartels having significant control throughout the country.

The World Cup has never been in a consistent window. Even in the Autumn window it has moved around a ton. If WR want to be legitimate, moving the Calendar around should be an easy stroke of the pen. Because why the hell would you want a World Cup in the US during:
Football Season
MLB Playoffs
MLS Playoffs

In the UK as far I can tell there's two huge professional team sports: Soccer which dwarfs the other [Rugby].

In Australia, Rugby is the third largest egg-shaped code behind Aussie Rules and League...competing against those also sounds stupid. It's not about facilities, it's about cultural impact.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 18:12

snapper37 wrote:
Tobar wrote:

The stadium size for one. The stadiums in Australia are the same size field surface or bigger. Not smaller.....

You can fit rugby in many NFL and NCAA stadiums. At least the stadiums here aren’t oval shaped for cricket.

But that has nothing to do with my point - it only had to do with scheduling around playoffs.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 18:21

10 October – 22 November was the period for the 2003 RWC. They waited NRL-AFL end. It could be possible to repeat, but there'd be problems with European clubs. Maybe cancelling 2028 July tests would solve, adding some fixtures in 2027 with Northern teams going South, maybe - or adding extra July dates in 2026, moving 2026-27 European leagues start a bit forward.

Conclusion: it is possible to solve such issues for both Australia and USA.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 03:50

Rugby doesn't have the luxury that football does when it come to domestic leagues all finishing roughly around the same time. It's made worse by the fact there needs to be a clear space in the calendar for some nations to host the World Cup in order to maximise publicity and local enthusiasm. If you start the World Cup in September in Australia during the AFL and NRL final series you are going to have a situation whereby rugby will be competing for 2 weeks in a row against the two biggest domestic games of football in the country. That's half the pool stage. The AFL and NRL usually have their grand finals a week apart from each other, so that's two weekends worth of rugby matches that can't be played in either Sydney or Melbourne, and two weeks worth of publicity that is going to get drowned out. It's not feasible to have the World Cup in Australia during this time. If that's an issue that can't be resolved then there is no chance of the World Cup ever being played here again, which leave South Africa more or less as the only Southern Hemisphere option that is guaranteed to make money. But they've continuously failed in their last 4 bids for the tournament. I'm sorry, but rugby has to be more flexible with it's world cup schedule.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 12:48

One month later (starting in October) is doable. Just scrap 2028 July Tests and maybe move them to July 2027.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum