Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 Americas Rugby Championship

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: 2018 Americas Rugby Championship

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 10:47

Another idea is that once say every three years, none of the PI and NorPac teams go to Europe in November and that year instead play the PNC in the Norpac countries. That would allow Japan to still regularly play USA & Canada as well as PIs. Without those six T2 teams going to Europe that year, the T1 Europe teams as well as playing TRC teams could also play the top REC teams and one of the TRC team's games in Europe that year would be stopping off in a REC team country. In this way once every three years the top REC teams could get two T1 games, one home, one away in November.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 13:45

Better than playing in neutral venues indeed. I believe World Rugby finances those matches and chooses the cheaper way.

But really: What USA players will be doing in September and October? Training and resting to play 3 matches in November and do the same in December and January?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 22:15

victorsra wrote:Better than playing in neutral venues indeed. I believe World Rugby finances those matches and chooses the cheaper way.

But really: What USA players will be doing in September and October? Training and resting to play 3 matches in November and do the same in December and January?

What's wrong with letting players relax and recover in the offseason? Recovery is very important for the players and most US leagues have about 6 months offseason.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Mar 2018, 23:33

Nothing, I don't know even if it is feasible to play the PIs in September because of the European clubs. I just said if people want the PNC back this is the only month I can see it possible. And that it would make all the sense because players will still be able to rest, specially compared with all T1s.

But American leagues are the leading leagues in their sports, bilionaire organizations that rule their sports calendars. Nothing like what rugby is. USA has 3 "lost" tests in the middle of that offseason. How to deal with it? Don't expect to compete with T1s with 3 matches after 2 months without competitions...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 17:32

victorsra wrote:Nothing, I don't know even if it is feasible to play the PIs in September because of the European clubs. I just said if people want the PNC back this is the only month I can see it possible. And that it would make all the sense because players will still be able to rest, specially compared with all T1s.

But American leagues are the leading leagues in their sports, bilionaire organizations that rule their sports calendars. Nothing like what rugby is. USA has 3 "lost" tests in the middle of that offseason. How to deal with it? Don't expect to compete with T1s with 3 matches after 2 months without competitions...

The fact that the Premiership season is 10 Months long should be concerning to people.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 17:35

I think it will explode indeed. It is absolutely insane what was proposed for the 2020 calendar. European leagues with 10 months (September to June) + july tests... and the 2021 season starting in September! Absolute madness. World Rugby must impose some sort of "matches cap" for every professional player in the world (an unified cap, to not harm national teams that export players too).

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 18:21

It would be beneficial for USAR and MLR to try and work around the global calendar proposal. Many countries will face difficulties, with professional schedules and ingrained test match periods. However, if MLR adapts to this in their infant stage it will be far easier to work around. MLR has already shown that it is taking this into account with the season ending in June. It messes around the first year but when the window moves to July it will be less of an issue. It would still conflict with player camp, but anyone in the semi finals and finals would just have to wait to join camp then and honestly MLR is probably a better setup than whatever the Eagles throw together.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum