Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 Americas Rugby Championship

Re: 2018 Americas Rugby Championship

Postby 4N » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 16:16

Huge game Saturday in Montevideo. I think USA by 12 or so, but never bet against Uruguay at home.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 16:17

The USA Eagles needs to win over the Teros to obtain the Championship. The job won't be easy.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 16:59

Indeed!

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 17:22

I'm really loving the ARC this year. USA, Argentina and Uruguay all had legitimate chances to win the entire tournament. Canada, the team that is traditionally the best Americas team, is in 4th place. A final match against Argentina XV would be great to dictate who the winner is, however, the match against Uruguay has just as much tension. Uruguay is no slouch and I'm hoping for a great showing by both sides (but USA to win of course).

Postby 4N » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 17:37

The ARC is definitely enjoyable, particularly given the TV/streaming coverage which has been good. Will be even better once they introduce promotion-relegation. Would be great to see someone like Colombia or one day Mexico get a crack.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 17:50

Well, they're playing in the ARC B in August and apparently promotion/relegation is a potential topic for the ARC in 2020 (give or take a year, it's whenever the contract runs up). If any team was promoted I would imagine it would be Paraguay or Colombia. I don't really follow the rankings for Tier 3 countries since they're generally inaccurate at that level but Paraguay and Colombia are 40 and 41, respectively while Mexico is 54. I also personally follow Colombia so I am biased but they've definitely taken great strides in improvement over the past couple of years. Having 2 years of greater test match competition would do wonders for them.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 17:59

4N wrote:Huge game Saturday in Montevideo. I think USA by 12 or so, but never bet against Uruguay at home.

I was thinking USA by 10, but after this weekend I'd have to say USA (-7).

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 19:30

If you are tied on points, is point differential next? Or head to head?

Assuming Argentina blows out Brazil for a bonus point win, USA needs at minimum a draw or 2 bonus point loss. Basically unless we win, it is very unlikely we have the better point differential

National Flag:

Postby JCWalker22 » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 02:16

Great Job Eagles !!! First title defense and grand slam !! Would love to see the US have some
more opportunities to play against the Pacific Island Nations and Japan to test ourselves even more

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 03:23

Congrats US! Shame about the blow out to Uruguay, thought the result would be much closer.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 14:42

Congrats USA! Unbeaten since 2016 in the ARC.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ruckovercdn » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 17:04

JCWalker22 wrote:Great Job Eagles !!! First title defense and grand slam !! Would love to see the US have some
more opportunities to play against the Pacific Island Nations and Japan to test ourselves even more

You mean the old Pacific Nations Cup?

National Flag:

Postby JCWalker22 » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 20:02

Yes Sir ! I know they took a break from the full competition because it was used as the World Cup Qualification tournament for RWC 2019 but I would love to see the eagles, Canada and the Brave Blossoms back in that tournament. I think this years version is being used as a U-23 tournament if I’m not mistaken and only includes the PIs and Japan.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 22:04

JCWalker22 wrote: Would love to see the US have some more opportunities to play against the Pacific Island Nations and Japan to test ourselves even more

In the last four years, United States has collected just four wins versus non-Americas teams: Japan and Russia at home, and Germany and Romania away.

Last year they lost to Georgia twice. In 2015 and 2016 they lost to Samoa and Tonga twice each.

National Flag:

Postby JCWalker22 » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 17:57

NaBUru38 wrote:
JCWalker22 wrote: Would love to see the US have some more opportunities to play against the Pacific Island Nations and Japan to test ourselves even more

In the last four years, United States has collected just four wins versus non-Americas teams: Japan and Russia at home, and Germany and Romania away.

Last year they lost to Georgia twice. In 2015 and 2016 they lost to Samoa and Tonga twice each.

^^ Very true. I would love to see us play a few tier 2 sides of outside the Americas teams more often. I know we need the tier 1 opposition as well for higher gates domestically and all and to test our levels but I would be all in on a tier 2 Rugby World Cup tournament featuring the higher end REC teams ( Georgia, Romania, Spain, Russia etc ) Uruguay and Canada and Japan plus the PI’s.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 18:48

JCWalker22 wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

^^ Very true. I would love to see us play a few tier 2 sides of outside the Americas teams more often. I know we need the tier 1 opposition as well for higher gates domestically and all and to test our levels but I would be all in on a tier 2 Rugby World Cup tournament featuring the higher end REC teams ( Georgia, Romania, Spain, Russia etc ) Uruguay and Canada and Japan plus the PI’s.

We need more matches against Fiji, Tonga and Samoa (despite now being ranked higher than Samoa hoo-ah!). They've all proven to be worthy challenges and we need to be able to win a match against them.

Wonder if there's a way to get top 3 of ARC vs top 3 of REC.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 19:32

Tobar wrote:
JCWalker22 wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

We need more matches against Fiji, Tonga and Samoa (despite now being ranked higher than Samoa hoo-ah!). They've all proven to be worthy challenges and we need to be able to win a match against them.

If this continues, and we'll know next year after a full year of International matches under Gold and a Season of MLR, we'll probably need the Pacific Nations Cup back because everyone of these teams may not be able to provide the necessary level of competition.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 19:49

TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:
JCWalker22 wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:

If this continues, and we'll know next year after a full year of International matches under Gold and a Season of MLR, we'll probably need the Pacific Nations Cup back because everyone of these teams may not be able to provide the necessary level of competition.

That's my fear. The US already won the ARC this year pretty handily but once all the players become professional the gap will only widen. Not a slight against the other teams at all but if we're already winning by 20-30 points against some of the teams then I don't see how they will be legitimate competition after a few years of MLR.

Postby 4N » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 20:47

It's possible, but consider:

- Canada are historically bad. They have a dud coach and will probably improve again in the near future.
- Argentina can send better players if they choose to (and should lose the XV tag...)
- Uruguay and Canada both had tough runs this year with RWC qualifiers. Uruguay are still improving, their U20s have been good lately. Like the US, they fielded a fairly young side this year.
- Brazil are in their infancy in a lot of ways, but I think the sky is the limit there. They have a huge pool of athletes and no NFL to compete with.
- Chile are poor, perhaps promotion-relegation will help in bringing someone like Colombia along, perhaps not. But the tournament does suffer, like the 6N, from not having six good teams.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 21:07

4N wrote:It's possible, but consider:

- Canada are historically bad. They have a dud coach and will probably improve again in the near future.
- Argentina can send better players if they choose to (and should lose the XV tag...)
- Uruguay and Canada both had tough runs this year with RWC qualifiers. Uruguay are still improving, their U20s have been good lately. Like the US, they fielded a fairly young side this year.
- Brazil are in their infancy in a lot of ways, but I think the sky is the limit there. They have a huge pool of athletes and no NFL to compete with.
- Chile are poor, perhaps promotion-relegation will help in bringing someone like Colombia along, perhaps not. But the tournament does suffer, like the 6N, from not having six good teams.

Yes, I'm not expecting the US and Canada to just come in and destroy everyone after 1 year of playing professionally. But the fact still remains that many of the players (more US than Canadian) will be playing in a professional atmosphere. The coach can suck but they players will still be playing better than they are now. This also isn't really meant to be a knock on any of the other countries involved, we are just at a different stage than they are (even if the South American pro league comes around). Brazil also may not have the NFL to compete with but it has soccer which is like 99% of the sports attention in the country.

I would very much love a Colombia promotion. I'm not so sure they're there yet but rugby in the country has been a great success over the past couple of years. They've done a great job with youth rugby and increasing playing numbers whereas Chile (from what I've heard) has a very limited number of players and it is primarily an upper class sport. This is something I've heard on this forum so don't quote me, I'm not expert.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 21:49

I don't necessarily see next year's ARC as the line of demarcation, but it could be. We played like crap for three games during this tournament to be honest. And Uruguay was our most complete match by far. Next year needs to be complete domination of Chile, Brazil, Canada and Uruguay with that victory of ARG XV being a bit wider. If we do that, I think it gives us enough to start negotiating with Japan, Tonga, Samoa, and Fiji for a tournament during this same period. It would be one less match as I'd still like just a once through round robin. I think a solid performance in the WC based one where we're at could accelerate that.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 02:18

I wouldn't write off Chile. Take a look at their U20 results at the JWRT last year. They beat Canada and Fiji and stayed within a converted try of Japan. The previous time they played at that level, in 2013, they beat Japan, Portugal and Namibia. Not only that, but in 2013 when they hosted the IIRC they got something like 6k for one of the rounds in Temuco. So the potential is there, but there does seem to be a pretty big issue with their organization, since they don't seem to be getting anywhere near 6k for the ARC matches and they also seem to have a player retention problem. Perhaps the kick in the ass of potential relegation from the ARC would help.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 03:05

If the proposed South American pro league gets off the ground next year then Brazil, Chile and Uruguay will keep pace with the US and Canada. In fact the inclusion of Argentinian teams and players is going to expose the South Americans to a stronger rugby environment than what the MLR probably will. A second division for the ARC needs to run side by side with the first division and should consist of 6 teams in my opinion. The current proposal is only for four nations.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 03:33

TheStroBro wrote:If we do that, I think it gives us enough to start negotiating with Japan, Tonga, Samoa, and Fiji for a tournament during this same period. It would be one less match as I'd still like just a once through round robin. I think a solid performance in the WC based one where we're at could accelerate that.

I guess playing domestic Island teams would still be pretty decently strong competition. No way Fiji, Samoa and Tonga are getting their pros for a tournament this time of year. Super Rugby has just started and the Euro leagues are in the middle of their seasons with the 6N going on as well. Though I doubt the USA are going to stop participating in the ARC.

Postby ihateblazers » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 04:00

I could only see a proper tournament with the pacific island nations and their pros being feasible in the rugby championship window.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum