Re: ARC - Canada vs Uruguay - Jan 27th

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 18:33

I feel that Russia is again playing with Uruguay ... :D

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 19:37

SallesNeto_BR wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I'm actually feeling really sad right now. It's great to see Uruguay having improved so much but the idea of Canada not being at the World Cup is very depressing.

I think it's good for T2 nations. It will prove the necessity of a 24 teams RWC

Indeed! It's wouldn't be the first that a world championship is expanded because some team didn't qualify.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 19:44

Armchair Fan wrote: From what I saw this evening, I can't see a single T2/T3 European side (bar Georgia and Romania, obviously) able to match the intensity and level of contact shown by both Canada and Uruguay.

Russia can, especially at home.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 20:07

But repechage will be on a neutral ground, don't forget it.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 20:29

Armchair Fan wrote:But repechage will be on a neutral ground, don't forget it.

Indeed. It is a round-robin system at a neutral venue.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 21:49

NaBUru38 wrote:Indeed! It's wouldn't be the first that a world championship is expanded because some team didn't qualify.

Canada not qualifying would be a bigger issue for World Rugby than Samoa not qualifying. If anything is going to cause serious talk of expansion it's Canada failing to get through, World Rugby can't have such an important market not represented at the World Cup. The reality is there's about 7 or 8 T3 teams that can now compete with the T2 nations on a fairly even footing, so WR are going to be left with the option of risking bigger named teams not being present or expanding the tournament.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 22:43

That is true. But it is sad to need to see Canada in bad shape to have an expansion. It is more than obvious that by 2023 current top T3s would be able to compete. People forget that the decision about expansion is never about the present, but about a near future that can have teams boosted even more by the clear prospect of playing the WC.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 28 Jan 2018, 23:46

Last time expansion happened was when the USA missed out, but there wasn't enough quality teams to justify the increase to 20 back then. There is now for 24 though. At the very least this will serve as a warning shot to WR that the T3 teams have caught up. I don't want Canada not to qualify but if them struggling to get to the world cup brings up expansion talk then it's still a partially positive outcome.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 01:05

I agree with you.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 07:00

Los Teros are looking really good.They makes great progress in the last 2 years playing a very effective style of rugby. I think they can challenge any T2 country on a neutral pitch.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 09:38

I don't know why people are showing so much surprise by Uruguay's success, this was visible before 2015 and made certain after WC funding and professional training for top players (even if the local competition is amateur. They bosses England at breakdown and in rucks in direct match. I don't get why they are considered T3, with two WC qualis and a third on the way. It was always a T2 side

Not only the forwards are good but they are one of the very few T2 countries who have SH, FH, and FB playing/played in France or UK (Ormanchea, Berchesi, Mieres) at a good level and they aren't even the first options now and certainly there is talent in their back line (if I am not mistaken one or two players signed for Jaguares?) and the pack was always good. Even if Oaks defeated them convincingly here, their pack was a match and generally the team always showed a good knowledge of rugby. I am not surprised at all if they will qualify, they did it confortably with Russia last time around.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 09:41

amz wrote:(if I am not mistaken one or two players signed for Jaguares?)

Only one and he never played Super Rugby. It was more of a political move than a sport decision.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 10:19

Armchair Fan wrote:
amz wrote:(if I am not mistaken one or two players signed for Jaguares?)

Only one and he never played Super Rugby. It was more of a political move than a sport decision.

Maybe. But did you noticed much difference between Canadian and Uruguayan backs and back three especially? Cause I didn't , except that Teros ones were much better at breakdown, I've seen backs there rucking like backrows without much stress. Tell you what, Uruguay might be one of the surprises of RWC 2019.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 10:23

I don't know... I was already expecting a strong Uruguay, but for the repechage, not this play-off. They've simply switched their goals in face of Canada woes and bet will pay off. A RWC is a different beast, Uruguay's main strength, the ability to train with the same core group of players for weeks or months gets diluted because all other teams could do that too.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 10:26

thatrugbyguy wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:Indeed! It's wouldn't be the first that a world championship is expanded because some team didn't qualify.

Canada not qualifying would be a bigger issue for World Rugby than Samoa not qualifying. If anything is going to cause serious talk of expansion it's Canada failing to get through, World Rugby can't have such an important market not represented at the World Cup. The reality is there's about 7 or 8 T3 teams that can now compete with the T2 nations on a fairly even footing, so WR are going to be left with the option of risking bigger named teams not being present or expanding the tournament.

Agree. The World Rugby stubbornly rejects an idea of expansion not recognizing that they loose important markets like Spain, Russia, Portugal. Now most probably they going to loose Canada for at least the coming WC. Stupid and arrogant policy.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 10:46

We need 24 teams in the RWC 2023. 6 groups for 4 teams. 16 teams go into the playoffs.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 10:54

amz wrote:I don't know why people are showing so much surprise by Uruguay's success, this was visible before 2015 and made certain after WC funding and professional training for top players (even if the local competition is amateur. They bosses England at breakdown and in rucks in direct match. I don't get why they are considered T3, with two WC qualis and a third on the way. It was always a T2 side

Not only the forwards are good but they are one of the very few T2 countries who have SH, FH, and FB playing/played in France or UK (Ormanchea, Berchesi, Mieres) at a good level and they aren't even the first options now and certainly there is talent in their back line (if I am not mistaken one or two players signed for Jaguares?) and the pack was always good. Even if Oaks defeated them convincingly here, their pack was a match and generally the team always showed a good knowledge of rugby. I am not surprised at all if they will qualify, they did it confortably with Russia last time around.

I think everyone kinda feared for them in 2015 being in that group of death, but they held their own. What was impressive to me watching the reply of the match was the confidence in their back line play. It's actually something I've noticed across all T2 and even T3 teams in recent years, they're not afraid to attack anymore. I remember watching Uruguay against England in 2003 in Brisbane where they lost by 100 points, they were playing to survive the 80 mins, not playing to compete, and it was evident across many of the T2 and T3 nations at the time that's all many were doing. The attitudes across the nations have changed dramatically over the last 10 years. It doesn't matter if they are playing the All Black or Wallabies or England, they're no longer fearing these teams. They are playing with confidence, and that's a real positive outcome for the game. Russia really was the first T2/3 nation over the last few world cups to throw down the challenge and more or less ignore the status of the teams they were playing.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 10:56

I agree. It is TIME for 24 teams in the RWC. Unfortunately Pichot says something like " there is not even discussion about that" if i remember correctly.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 10:59

That attitude will change if Canada fails to qualify. I don't think even World Rugby is aware of of quick progress is being made.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 11:01

Bogdan_DC wrote:I agree. It is TIME for 24 teams in the RWC. Unfortunately Pichot says something like " there is not even discussion about that" if i remember correctly.

Yeah, he says it's up to the rest to prove they belong to Top 20 and that he wants RWC average level to improve, not to lower the bar.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 11:10

Better qualifying structure would be helpful for a start.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 12:35

But ironicaly if Canada qualifies as the Repechage winner they will have more chances of a World Cup win than Uruguay.

Look at the groups. The Repechage winner will be in the same pool of the Africa champions. Uruguay will play Georgia and Fiji....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 12:49

Armchair Fan wrote:I don't know... I was already expecting a strong Uruguay, but for the repechage, not this play-off. They've simply switched their goals in face of Canada woes and bet will pay off. A RWC is a different beast, Uruguay's main strength, the ability to train with the same core group of players for weeks or months gets diluted because all other teams could do that too.

They hold their ground in 2015 in a group with Australia, Fiji, Wales and England...I remember also a very good first half with Wales and they were less professionalized than nowdays and had only one player in France, Capo Ortega, who refused the call.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 13:04

victorsra wrote:But ironicaly if Canada qualifies as the Repechage winner they will have more chances of a World Cup win than Uruguay.

Look at the groups. The Repechage winner will be in the same pool of the Africa champions. Uruguay will play Georgia and Fiji....

The most important thing is to BE at the World cup :). Nobody is that crazy to make a gamble with their chances to be there.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Mon, 29 Jan 2018, 13:45

The biggest difference I've noticed in Uruguay, especially the past year or so, has been in their strength and conditioning. The forwards look bigger and more powerful, the backs look more athletic. The speed and power they ran at the Canadian line and their intensity at the ruck impressed me.

They most definitely won the contest at the contact area. I honestly felt that across the board, their rugby skills were higher than ours which is a credit to the Uruguayan club game which from what I understand, is quite good.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum