ArgentinaArgentina

ARC R1 - USA vs Argentina XV - Feb 3rd

Postby argie » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 17:17

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: ARC R1 - USA vs Argentina XV - Feb 3rd

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 30 Jan 2018, 18:02

I'll be there...

Andrew Durutalo has been called into USA camp.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 01:56

Bored at work and I feel like throwing a lineup guess out there....

1. Lamositele
2. Joe T
3. Dino
4. Landry
5. Civetta
6. Duro
7.Lamborn
8. Dolan
9. Davies
10 Magie
11. Augsberger (9 Cover as well)
12. Brache
13. Campbell
14. Teo (15 Cover)
15. Scully (Wing cover)
16. Malcomb
17. Huluholo
18. Purpura
19 Jensen
20 Hanco
21 Brakely (I like the extra forward against Argentina)
22 Cima (10/15 Cover)
23 Matyas (Wing/Center Cover)

I think they stick with mostly experienced hands for the biggest match in the ARC. The "young ones" get lots of looks in the other four weeks.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 02:57

Are you sure it is the most important game?. I think Uruguay is at a very high level, very well prepared physically and technically, and this year they will go to snatch the championship from the Eagles. But I don't know how many European club players will be able to keep after Saturday's qualifying. The same thing for the Canucks.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 03:45

argie wrote:Are you sure it is the most important game?. I think Uruguay is at a very high level, very well prepared physically and technically, and this year they will go to snatch the championship from the Eagles. But I don't know how many European club players will be able to keep after Saturday's qualifying. The same thing for the Canucks.

In what sense. We will only have our overseas pros for two or three matches.

Also...Uruguay only beat the Sabercats by 8. Think about that for a second. You will have only domestic based players when we head down there. Based on that, I'm calling a sweep.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 03:52

argie wrote:Are you sure it is the most important game?. I think Uruguay is at a very high level, very well prepared physically and technically, and this year they will go to snatch the championship from the Eagles. But I don't know how many European club players will be able to keep after Saturday's qualifying. The same thing for the Canucks.

It may not be the most important match day but I'm fairly sure that we will lose a few pros next week back to their AP/Pro14 clubs for 6N cover. Taufete'e, Durotalo, Civetta, Scully and Lamositele could all possibly be one week in and then gone. It may be the most important week of preperation as the new coach probably wants to see them for the week and also have them around to show the younger guys how its done to some degree.

Uruguay will most likely lose their pros after next week as well as have an extra match of tiredness on them by the time we get down to Montevideo. With all that being said they are still definitely a solid team and a good challenge at home.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 03:53

Until we actually beat Argentina XV, I think they're going to be considered the team to beat. But Uruguay's progress is also hard to ignore. They're unlikely to retain their European-based players for the tournament, but they have relatively few compared to the US and Canada so they will be one of the favorites IMO.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 03:54

TheStroBro wrote:

Also...Uruguay only beat the Sabercats by 8. Think about that for a second. You will have only domestic based players when we head down there. Based on that, I'm calling a sweep.

And they beat Canada by 9 in Canada with only Capo Ortega and Berchesi added to their team. You're totally underestimating Uruguay based on an exhibition.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 04:25

Coloradoan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

And they beat Canada by 9 in Canada with only Capo Ortega and Berchesi added to their team. You're totally underestimating Uruguay based on an exhibition.

Not underestimating them at all. I didn't say it would be easy. I just don't think they're at our level right now based on the continuity of systems. What will be really telling is this weekend between Canada and Uruguay and then our match against Canada in Sacramento.

If you're gonna come in and be negative...bro, get hype and rally. Need more data before I can give you an educated match prediction.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 05:06

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Not underestimating them at all. I didn't say it would be easy. I just don't think they're at our level right now based on the continuity of systems. What will be really telling is this weekend between Canada and Uruguay and then our match against Canada in Sacramento.

If you're gonna come in and be negative...bro, get hype and rally. Need more data before I can give you an educated match prediction.

It's not negative to point out that Uruguay is both a strong team at the moment and that they are difficult at home. Last year, we beat them in the ARC by 6, at home and with a strong overseas pro presence. This time, we will be facing them in Montevideo, with them in good form, and probably with a less strong overseas contingent. And what's this about continuity? We have a brand new head coach, while they have had the same coach for this whole RWC cycle. Any idea when the last time was that we beat Uruguay in Montevideo? It was 2009, when they were at probably their lowest point in decades. I'm not saying we have no chance, but it will take a very good effort to beat them this year.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 00:12

Eagles Lineup

1. Titi Lamositele Saracens Prop
2. Joe Taufete'e Worcester Warriors Hooker
3. Dino Waldren London Scottish Prop
4. Nate Brakeley New York Athletic Club Lock
5. Nick Civetta Newcastle Falcons Lock
6. Hanco Germishuys Austin Elite Flanker
7. Tony Lamborn Hawkes Bay Flanker
8. Cam Dolan SD Legion Number Eight
9. Nate Augspurger SD Legion Scrum Half
10. Will Magie Glendale Raptors Fly Half
11. Ryan Matyas San Diego Legion Wing
12. Bryce Campbell Glendale Raptors Center
13. Marcel Brache Western Force Center
14. Blaine Scully (C) Cardiff Blues Wing
15. Mike Te'o San Diego Legion Fullback
16. James Hilterbrand Manly Marlins Reserve
17. Huluholo Moungaloa Life West Reserve
18. Angus Maclellan Chicago Lions Reserve
19. Ben Landry Glendale Raptors Reserve
20. Andrew Durutalo Worcester Warriors Reserve
21. Shaun Davies Glendale Raptors Reserve
22. Will Hooley Bedford Blues Reserve
23. Dylan Audsley San Diego Legion Reserve

Read more at https://www.usarugby.org/2018/02/mens-e ... JGlpW4A.99
Last edited by SDyeti on Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 00:58

Good squad. About what I expected except germihuys starting over Landry at 6. I guess he is back at lock without Peterson available. A bit worried about Teo at 15 against a strong kicking team. Cima is probably a bit too green for Argentina.

Whippy doesn’t get a starting wing spot. And probably had no shot at the bench with Audsley covering the full back line.

Also interesting they’ve flipped Campbell back inside. Hoping we continue to use a modern attacking structure and not a return to Tolkien-ball

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 01:31

Overall not horrible...but Augspurger must be the greatest practice scrum-half of all time.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 02:28

And it is the Argentine line-up.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 02:29

Suiram wrote:Good squad. About what I expected except germihuys starting over Landry at 6. I guess he is back at lock without Peterson available. A bit worried about Teo at 15 against a strong kicking team. Cima is probably a bit too green for Argentina.

Whippy doesn’t get a starting wing spot. And probably had no shot at the bench with Audsley covering the full back line.

Also interesting they’ve flipped Campbell back inside. Hoping we continue to use a modern attacking structure and not a return to Tolkien-ball

Another option would have been Dolan at 6 and Durutalo at 8. That's what I was expecting. Hanco must have performed well in training to beat out Durutalo for the start.

Postby 4N » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 04:00

13. Marcel Brache Western Force (RIP) Center

The NRC side has rebranded from Perth Spirit to Western Force.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 04:06

4N wrote:
13. Marcel Brache Western Force (RIP) Center

The NRC side has rebranded from Perth Spirit to Western Force.

I wasn't aware...I can fix if necessary.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 04:28

Coloradoan wrote:
Another option would have been Dolan at 6 and Durutalo at 8. That's what I was expecting. Hanco must have performed well in training to beat out Durutalo for the start.

Althought I'm relatively intrigued to see Audsley since all of a sudden he's on the radar...after not being on the APC roster. I really want to see a back three of 11. Matyas 14. Whippy 15. Sculley.

I like the way the bench is oriented, should provide lift in the second half.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 18:24

Here's my preview: https://youtu.be/JvIX6x-CEOc

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 20:40

Glad to see Dolan back at 8 and a bit surprised that Durutalo didn't get the start. I'll admit I don't know anything about Hanco Germishuys.
The tight five look to be as strong a unit as the US have seen in a long time.
Thrilled that Nate getting another start at 9-his upside in open/broken play is huge. The more reps he gets, the better. Has great speed and is an aggressive player. Like this pick a lot.
Matyas and Scully on the wing is a solid move. I'd still love to see Te'o at 12-I just don't know who would pay fullback.

Overall, seems like a solid side.
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 20:55

TheStroBro wrote:Here's my preview: https://youtu.be/JvIX6x-CEOc

Just watched your review, well done.
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 02 Feb 2018, 22:14

Durutalo competes with Lamborn for that 7 jersey. Maybe for 8 in a pinch, but probably not to start. To be fair, Durutalo also showed up late I think.

Gold may have picked on fitness based on Brakeley, Hanco and Augsperger all getting the start.

Very impressed / happy to see a front row made up of all Pros. A welcome change that will hopefully continue down to the bench soon (in June, should have Baumann available too).

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 03 Feb 2018, 05:59

USA Rugby Fan wrote:Just watched your review, well done.

Thanks mate.

Suiram wrote:Durutalo competes with Lamborn for that 7 jersey. Maybe for 8 in a pinch, but probably not to start. To be fair, Durutalo also showed up late I think.

Gold may have picked on fitness based on Brakeley, Hanco and Augsperger all getting the start.

Very impressed / happy to see a front row made up of all Pros. A welcome change that will hopefully continue down to the bench soon (in June, should have Baumann available too).

Durutalo was called in late. Blaine Scully was probably the same person to show as he captained Cardiff on Saturday in AW match.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sun, 04 Feb 2018, 02:02

Hanco Germishuys to the sin bin at 37 min.

Try by Argentina XV. Santiago Montagner at 38 min.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 04 Feb 2018, 02:03

That yellow card was atrocious.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum