Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

ARC - USA vs Canada - 10th Feb

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: ARC - USA vs Canada - 10th Feb

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 05:18

The discussion about aspirational rugby...for some yes, for some no. We've seen Division 1 Rugby drop from 72 Teams when the Super League and Elite Cup folded back in to 28 this year. It's becoming more expensive to field a D1 side...and gets harder year on year with clubs not wanting to step up as it gets smaller. Some of the MLR teams are off-shoots from Clubs, some aren't. The PRP coming back came with a relegation of 10 Clubs between NCRFU and SCRFU. Crazy. PRP was on FLO today, didn't watch and will have to catch the replay tomorrow.

Why is Eric Howard absent, Kingsley not keen on him? He's fit and training with NOLA Gold for the MLR.

Of the 18 MLR players in the training squad for this ARC, only Davies, Gemishuys, Landry, Magie, Whippy have been in DTEs longer than a few weeks.

MLR hasn't really brought anything to the table because there hasn't been any matches. It will be interesting to see what the team does this summer on tour. The true fruit of what the MLR will bring is a year away. I think Mitchell placing Fitness as a priority was extremely important. Were some of the players he first capped the best, probably not, but he had no time to scout them at that time. By the end we saw what a Mitchell side could do. What we're seeing right now is the foundation. I think Gary Gold is laying a new one, but part of what Mitchell built is going to be just a piece of what Gary Gold will bring because he's committed. I'm a bit glad we have Chile and Brazil next as Scully, Taufete'e, and Durutalo will most likely be recalled. This will give us a few matches with some reserve players. We saw Hanco's minutes get managed today, wouldn't be surprised if that happens again next week as well with Lamborn or Dolan.

Magie is solid at 10, played better this week. But looking at Hooley, I wonder if we went 10- Magie and 12- Hooley in the same way that England is. We saw that once or twice Mitchell putting AJ at 12...AJ's not that small, but he looks small at 12 for some reason that I can't fish out of my head. When it comes to 10...I'm not worried. Audsley is something else. Last week he surprised me more with his defense, but this week he showed everything on offense from his running to offload skills.

Augspurger doesn't do the things a 9 is supposed to do. Get the ball out quickly and with zip on his passes. They legit float. Against a superior opponent they will get intercepted. Which is why I think he's a Wing option. If it's Shaun and Nate, Shaun all day. Our tempo was so much faster. However, I want to see DeHaas.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 16:12

The aspirational angle we are talking about is not measured by just how many D1 clubs there are. It’s really the opposite in terms of a constant striving to create more elite competitions. 70 or 28 D1 clubs doesn’t mean that much in my view to the national team. Actually having 10-15 truly elite clubs is probably much better allowing potential national pool players to get higher levels of competition. Not to mention the fact that multiple regions are actively striving so it’s not like California is the only destination for top tier domestic rugby.

To add another interesting point compare to Canada is no one is waiting for USAR to organize these things. Clubs and groups of clubs are coming up with concepts and running them but uSAr but it seems very much like a ask forgiveness no ask permission situation. And that’s probably a good thing

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 16:32

It's the Canadian way, do nothing and wait for the incompetent government organization to try and fix things but only end up making it more shit.

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 16:44

Canadian_Rugger wrote:It's the Canadian way, do nothing and wait for the incompetent government organization to try and fix things but only end up making it more shit.

Sounds a lot like the US government
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 17:35

I watched the first half live, and DVR'd the second half.

First off, I have to give kudos that I even have the option to DVR it this year; I'm really glad these games are on TV.

Some thoughts:

- While there were obviously some mistakes in the first half, it didn't seem as maddening to watch as other games. Maybe my standards are just dropping though :)
- Early in the second half, DTH boots it from Canada's own 22 to relieve pressure, and no one chased it down. This allowed the US to just wait for it to roll out the back and get a scrum in a good attacking position, and putting it into the endzone (although it was held up). We _have_ to chase these balls down, even if it's one guy so they can't just wait for the ball to dribble out.
- Why do we constantly kick the ball away?
- Once again, not able to do anything while up a player...
- Defense seemed better, but still poor.
- Despite the try, I don't want to every see Parfrey at fullback again.
- When you're down by so much late in the game, why not bring out Lagain? He needs the experience, and we may as well cap-tie him.
- I love watching Teo run with the ball.

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 17:43

I'm thrilled with the win. For most of my adult life I've been watching the US get beat by Canada, but the past few years there has been a dramatic swing in momentum in favor of the Eagles. Well done USA Rugby.

Front Row: The combo of Lamositele, Taufete'e and Waldren played well together for the second week in a row. The number of collapsed scrums and other assorted front row problems seemed to be at a minimum. They each had good go farward ball throughout the game and I think Taufete'e was robbed of a try around the 48 minute mark. Rucks and mauls were well formed and there was god retention of the ball, counter rucking and physical play from this group. Hilterbrand, Moungoloa and MacClellan represented well as replacements, but there is a clear step down from the starting front row to the replacements.
Second Row:Brakeley and Cevetta also played together well for the second week in a row. Good lock out and drive in the scrum and another game of outstanding line out wins by Cevetta. I think Brakeley and Landry are an even swap at second row with Civetta being the clearly superior player in all areas. The early second half infusion of Landry was a good tactical move and seemed to pick up the physicality of play by the entire pack.
Back Row: Germishuys been playing like a seasoned international, great tackling and running hard straight lines into contact...drawing in multiple defenders-I'd say he just lacks experience at this level...but his play would seem to suggest otherwise. Lamborn & Dolan were a usual, outstanding. My only complaint was the yellow on Dolan, he didn't controll the #12 on that tackle but he also got punched several times-there should have been a yellow given to Canada as well. Durutalo could also have started, no loss of skill or experience with him off the bench.

Scrum Half: Augspurger or Davies- I still believe that Augspurger is the more dynamic player, the player with more game breaker ability. He is also the player who scored a try between these two. Having said that, there was a clear improvement in speed of play, accuracy of passes and distribution skills when Davies came on the pitch. I would hope that they stick with Augspurger for the remainder of the tournament to give him more reps at scrum half and because he put points on the board.

Fly Half & Center: Magie is adequate. He is nobody's first pick to play this position. With AJ unavailable I think we need to look at Hooley as the clear choice for the starting job going forward, bite the bullet and get Hooley reps over the next three games and reap the rewards moving into the RWC. The best option I think would be to play Hooley at 10 and Magie at 12 in South America. Campbell played well, good hard running with solid defense.

Back Line Matayas, Scully and Te'o as a back line, may be the best combo on this team. All three had good runs and solid defensive performances. I'd still prefer to see Scully at fullback. I like the fact that all three of these guys are looking to get involved in the game. Too often we see the back line standing around waiting for the ball to come to them, all three of these guys put themselves into position to get the ball and make good plays.
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 11 Feb 2018, 17:50

WE SUCK. NOT ONE FORWARD TAKES THE BALL AT PACE. STANDING CATCHING AND THEN RUNNING IS SO VERY BASIC. UNTIL WE GET THAT SORTED WE WILL CONTINUE TO LOOSE (NO DESIRE TO MAKE THE TACKLE AN OFFENSIVE THREAT)

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 01:26

Suiram wrote:The aspirational angle we are talking about is not measured by just how many D1 clubs there are. It’s really the opposite in terms of a constant striving to create more elite competitions. 70 or 28 D1 clubs doesn’t mean that much in my view to the national team. Actually having 10-15 truly elite clubs is probably much better allowing potential national pool players to get higher levels of competition. Not to mention the fact that multiple regions are actively striving so it’s not like California is the only destination for top tier domestic rugby.

To add another interesting point compare to Canada is no one is waiting for USAR to organize these things. Clubs and groups of clubs are coming up with concepts and running them but uSAr but it seems very much like a ask forgiveness no ask permission situation. And that’s probably a good thing

If there's only 10-15 Elite Clubs, which was the Super League. It will fall apart. Having 70 Holistic Community clubs that run out a D1-D3 Mens, a D1-2 Womens and Numerous youth is where we need to go. Every club should aspire to be D1. The PRP came about to bring up the level of some clubs because the others couldn't afford it. Great, I understand that. But 6 Clubs in an elite competition in the same state and time zone is one thing. Having to fly to NYC or Boston every three weeks is not sustainable in amateur Rugby in this country. What could be sustainable is the Uruguay model...but with the MLR that's not necessary. Previously it should have been...oh training center in Houston, everyone plays in a club in the RRRC.

Super League and Elite Cup were USAR initiatives...I never even knew about them. And the last Elite Cup Final was on ESPN 3 in 2013. On the women's side we have both WPL and D1. WPL is backbreaking for amateur clubs due to the geography.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum