Any chance of a Chilean victory?.

Re: ARC R3 - USA vs Chile - Feb 17th

Postby 4N » Thu, 15 Feb 2018, 13:30

USA by 20+

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 15 Feb 2018, 14:53

When the USA Roster drops today I'll have more to say. But I don't see it being difficult, in fact we've never had a difficult match against Chile in this tournament.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 15 Feb 2018, 22:46

I'm extremely excited about this roster: https://www.usarugby.org/2018/02/starte ... nst-chile/

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 01:27

Most interested in seeing the bench, namely de Haas, Al-Jiboori and Lasike. Also of course looking forward to Whippy and Wooching's first starts.

And wow, it's not surprising that SD Legion are going to end up being good, but damn that's starting to look like it might be the best team in the league.

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 02:25

Coloradoan wrote:Most interested in seeing the bench, namely de Haas, Al-Jiboori and Lasike. Also of course looking forward to Whippy and Wooching's first starts.

Excited to see Wooching getting the start-lots of hype around him, wishing him the best. I must confess I know nothing about these three on the bench.
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 02:33

And the starting XV of Chile.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 03:09

Coloradoan wrote:Most interested in seeing the bench, namely de Haas, Al-Jiboori and Lasike. Also of course looking forward to Whippy and Wooching's first starts.

And wow, it's not surprising that SD Legion are going to end up being good, but damn that's starting to look like it might be the best team in the league.

Agree on all accounts. Still skeptical on Wooching but a chance to start will show whether he has made progress.

SD Legion has signed some great guys. But still waiting to see their depth. It would be great if MLR actually got more Eagles to play domestically.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 12:31

USA Rugby Fan wrote:

Excited to see Wooching getting the start-lots of hype around him, wishing him the best. I must confess I know nothing about these three on the bench.

de Haas - young scrumhalf (u20 last year) who has most recently been with the Free State Academy in South Africa.
Al-Jiboori - young blindside/8 (u20 last year) who has 7s caps
Lasike - former BYU rugby star who pursued the NFL and had a cup of coffee with the Bears

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 16:46

Your Preview of USA V. Chile

https://youtu.be/GmIYIYlDVz8

I have been very critical of our scrum-halves in the last year or so. I don't really care about Augspurger's athleticism. I think his instincts have him do things that scrum-halves don't do rather than what they're supposed to do. Get to the ruck, dig the ball out, and deliver the ball at speed to a forward or fly-half moving at pace. The balls float and against a legit opponent we will have issues. As we saw with Argentina XV, they played a Blitz Defense. Now I don't think Davies Ball Speed is awesome at the International level, but I think it's improved significantly, and it's much faster than Nate. Nate's a great athlete, but you have to do the Scrum-Half shit first.

Wooching will be interesting, there's like five guys in front of him who should probably be playing instead. He doesn't need a senior cap to earn a contract in France or the UK because of his Samoan passport as a Kolpak.

Al Jiboori is gonna be something else and he's played high level rugby for a long time. He came into the 7s program, I honestly think he'd get wasted for XVs if the Legion thing didn't pop up.

Lasike is gonna be something for about five years...I'd never seen Audsley play, but it appears the centers just got really crowded.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 16 Feb 2018, 17:27

Good Stuff Stro, I would only say centers are not so much crowded as finally competitive. Center has always been one of the weakest positions for the Eagles. Other than Palamo, none have typically been professional players, and Palamo has always been a bit of hit and miss.

As much as Campbell is coming into his own, he is still 22, a year out of college rugby, and only playing domestically. Before Brache, his counterpart at 12/13 has been a bit of a revolving door. So hopefully what has been a real weakness can become more stable. I think the first step would be having real depth with 4-5 guys that can credibly be in the mix.

One clarification, on Colordoan's notes above. Both De Haas and Al-Jiboori were u20s last year, but De Haas I believe is still only 19.

Have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the ages of these guys. Really gives you some optimism for 2019 and beyond.

Very Young Eagles that already look credible (at the start of their career by any definition):
Lamositele, Malcolm, Germihuys, Teo, Campbell, Audsley, Cima, De Haas, Al-Jiboori (Arguably those last 3 are not yet proven at a capped international level)...can add Hooley to this group now

Slightly less young Eagles, still on the upswing of their playing career
Taufete'e, Waldren, Landry, Dolan, Peterson, Lamborn, Matyas, MacGinty, Magie

All of that first group could credibly be around for 3 more world cups. The second group should be around for at least 2.

Used this list for reference. http://www.americasrugbynews.com/player ... -pool-usa/ One thing I just noticed is that despite our depth in back row, really only Dolan, Lamborn and Germihuys could be called young. So there is maybe less depth than assumed going out a few years. Will need to rely on guys like Al Jiboori, Pinkelman, and Wooching taking a step up.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Sat, 17 Feb 2018, 22:14

Kind of a light crowd here. Probably 1500-2000 max.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 17 Feb 2018, 22:18

Is it easy to go from LA main areas to Fullerton?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby 4N » Sat, 17 Feb 2018, 22:36

LA is very spread out. It's like an hour from downtown but convenient to the rest of Orange County.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Sat, 17 Feb 2018, 23:18

That first half was overall not that impressive from the Eagles. Definitely looks like a team that has new people in it and not everyone is on the same page at all times.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 17 Feb 2018, 23:21

Chile slightly stronger than I thought (first time when I watch them). USA gave away too many penalties in first half and handling was sloppy.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 17 Feb 2018, 23:46

Chile have good skills but their amateurism is showing. The US players look like giants compared to the Chileans, some of whom look like they haven't seen a gym ever.

If they could get a similar setup to Uruguay they would see some benefits. There players need some size.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 06:53

Could someone give a hint at a final score? Saying which team won would go part of the way in the right direction.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 07:45

USA Rugby Twitter says the Eagles won 45-13.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 07:47

45-13 USA with 7 tries and 5 convesions. Chile with 2 unconverted tries and a penalty.

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 16:18

Coloradoan wrote:
USA Rugby Fan wrote:

de Haas - young scrumhalf (u20 last year) who has most recently been with the Free State Academy in South Africa.
Al-Jiboori - young blindside/8 (u20 last year) who has 7s caps
Lasike - former BYU rugby star who pursued the NFL and had a cup of coffee with the Bears

Thanks for the heads up on these guys. Wow Lasike looks like he could be a major contributor in the future-the few runs he had were excellent. The last US center who ran hard straight lines like that was Paul Emerick, and I would say that the US has been in search of a replacement since Paul retired.
de-Haas & Al-Jiboori look so young! Hopefully they will get more playing time vs Brasil.

Psalm-I was pleasantly surprised by his play- in fact I was expecting him to come in and play like Brian Lima-looking for big hits and playing a bit reckless. I was wrong, he played well for his first match.
The US penalty count was ridiculous. They need to work on that aspect of the game immediately.
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 16:54

While the US penalty count was ridiculous. I also thought Assmus was calling some things unreasonably tight. Not biased against, just very tight calls.

I caution reading too much into this game. The US should beat Chile and I remember quite a few guys looking great in 2015 against Chile only to fade away. Lasike is a powerful runner who will do well with a season of MLR. I am more curious how he performs against a stronger defensive front like uruguay

Edit: to add I thought a lot of guys played mostly well but were trying to do too much. Like too many plays where everyone was going for the big length of the field try. Josh whippy played really well in bits and pieces but looked to have nerves, trying to break big runs.

That’s what made us lose against Brazil in 2015. I really hope we put out our best available side and cut out that kind of play. Need to focus on executing stable multi-phase attacks that prepare us for better teams.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 19:19

I would guess if we just "do simple, well" against Basil we will be ok. At least do that until a cushion can get established.

Is anyone else ready for Cima to have a start? I'm kind of feeling that Magie has looked a little bit ordinary the last match or two. Doesn't really threaten the line and just moves the ball to the next guy in the line the vast majority of the time. Watching from the stands it seems like Chili was on the next guy after Magie quite a bit in the second half. We still managed to not lose much on that but against a better team it woulkd have been an issue.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 20:24

https://imgur.com/a/HJxO7

This a link to three pictures i took of the crowd from my seats. Definitely kinda light...

Next

Return to Rugby Forum