Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

RE Championship. The Future

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: RE Championship. The Future

Postby victorsra » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 21:14

Nothing simple, mate. Writng what I wrote before: 6 Nations is NOT owned by Rugby Europe (and the 6N/5N/HN is older than Rugby Europe... older than WR/IRB, BTW). There are 2 different structures in place: 6N Ltd, a private organization linked to those 6 unions, and Rugby Europe, a regional federation, heir of FIRA and NOT owned by national rugby unions.

For me the best alternative now is to have a 8 Nations Championship, with the 6 Nations as core teams (as they own the competition) + 2 non-core REC teams (with Rugby Europe/World Rugby becoming stakeholders of the 6N Ltd). Every year those two non-core teams could play a relegation playoff in June/July against the 2 best teams that played the REC. Exemple: Best of the non-core 8N host the REC Runners up / Worst of the 8N visit the REC champions. This could mean Georgia and Romania playing the 8N and the matches Georgia vs Russia, Spain vs Romania in June/July.

Also, 8 Nations can be played in the current calendar, as the 6N already runs along 7 weekends. You just need to eliminate the current bye weekends and impose a limit of matches/minutes for each player to not damage even more players' welfare policies.

With this approach, a scenario would be:

8 Nations
Core Teams: France, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Italy
Non-Core Teams: Georgia, Spain/Romania/Russia (i won't chose any of them to avoid discussions!)

Rugby Europe Championship (6 teams)
Spain/Romania/Russia, Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands

Rugby Europe Trophy
Poland, Czechia, Moldova, Switzerland, Sweden, Ukraine

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 22:39

We don't want more barriers between the divisions honestly. Problem is not in ENC, its in RBS6N if they joined the fray the whole system would be complete and for the first time we would have quality top to bottom system in Rugby. How the top division would be organized (8 nations, 2 Groups of 4 etc etc) is irrelevant [bullshit "but muh 5n truditions" argument goes here]. What's important is to have a way for lower nations to ascend to the top. It would really be a gift to Rugby all across Europe. But of course some people prefer to pocket all the money today instead of investing in the future.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 18 Feb 2018, 23:38

After last nights match in Madrid, as well as last weeks match between Russia and Spain, if there's something to play for crowds will turnout and media exposure will increase. Now, imagine Spain was playing to be promoted into the 6 Nations yesterday, you could have probably sold out a 40,000 football stadium and gotten a huge TV audience. The REC is not looked at as the top of Rugby in Europe, the 6 Nations is. If the door is opened it means there's something to fight for, and the crowds will come.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 05:02

I think everybody in this forum agrees that a locked 6N is obscene. But when reality comes the problem is just one: they own the competition. We are not dealing with and open fair democratic reallity.

What I proposed is only a first step. The second is to have no core teams in a completely open system. Phase 2.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby payoranger » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 09:57

Thinking the HN&FR are going to change the format is unrealistic. The calendar in Europe is over saturated. The only thing that could work will be a promotion/relegation between the last of 6N and the first of REC but that is only one part of the problem. The main subject is Money, the money they invested trying to become Italy a Tier1, the money of the sponsors for a new nation, the distance to Tblisi (obviously the only country that now can face HN&FR right now).

Why isn't there a game between Italy (15th) and Georgia (12th) in November or June? Why Italy is classified directly to the RWC? Pure and simple Money

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 10:01

There is an Italy-Georgia next November. Of course not in Tbilisi, but there is one. And Italy qualified to RWC by beating Romania in 2015 (who had only four days to prepare that game after beating Canada, but...).

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 10:18

Bullshits. It's just money. And the Trilateral. And Bigpharma. Oh, and a bit of Wada, of course. Wada is the worst of them all!
Why in the World Cup they admit just the 6N and the austral 4N and no one team from eastern Europe? Because of Wada and the money! Oh, may God damn them!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby payoranger » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 10:37

Armchair Fan wrote:There is an Italy-Georgia next November. Of course not in Tbilisi, but there is one. And Italy qualified to RWC by beating Romania in 2015 (who had only four days to prepare that game after beating Canada, but...).

Thanks mate

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 19 Feb 2018, 11:28

JamesWales wrote:The answer is bloody obvious. Open up the game, with full promotion and relegation and proper qualification, including into a RWC of 24 teams and a European Challenge Cup of 24 teams.

Once there is a clear meritocracy and an opportunity to thrive then investment will follow. Why would someone invest in Belgian rugby when the furthest it can go is playing in Cluj in front of 1,500 people? Why invest in Munich Rugby Club when they cannot qualify fo europe with any ease?

Open the game up and things will start to change.

I'm embarrased at how World Rugby is still run by the old boys club, and as someone from Wales I apologise for it.

100% agree. Got to get a fair system before expecting people to pour money in.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 12:58

In the light of the current discussions I thought to bump this thread.

Apparently there still is a lot that can be improved.
Maybe not so much in terms of level of play (which can fluctuate) but surely when governance, promotion and officiating are considered.

As I stated earlier, results on the pitch normally are an indirect result of a good organization.
So for a sustainable high level we need good organizational structures.
Ok, not very fancy for the average fan but I am 100% convinced that these are the areas where should be worked on.
You simply can't have the same standards for all levels of the RE pyramid.

(Sorry as this beginning to sound like a mantra of mine.)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 14:24

I think there needs to start being a certain level of standards being implemented in this competition. We've got too many professionally organised teams playing in a tournament designed for amateurs.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum