Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Rugby Media and T2 coverage

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby Media and T2 coverage

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Rugby Media and T2 coverage

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 00:05

I think it's fair to say T2 and T3 rugby gets the short end of the stick when it comes to rugby media coverage, and whilst it's better than it once was with Japan and Pacific Island teams and players getting more coverage in recent years the rest of the world still struggles to get a mention. The biggest rugby magazine in the world, Rugby World, has had no coverage what so ever this year on the ARC or the REC, both of which had matches doubling as Rugby World Cup qualifiers. Planet Rugby, probably the most well known rugby website in the world, has only mentioned Uruguay's qualification and a video showing highlights of Spain's win over Romania. In 4 days since that win I have seen no mention of Spain's victory in any rugby media, no mention that one of Romania, Canada and Samoa are now likely to miss out on qualifying for the first time.

The fact that last point isn't big enough news in the rugby media says a lot. 3 teams who have been a consistent presence at Rugby World Cup are now fighting for 2 places. One of the veterans of the World Cup is going to miss out for 2019 and nobody knows about it. In football this would be big news, in rugby it's deemed not even worth mentioning. I understand the commercial realities of the situation for these publications, they are going to cater to the 6N and RC/Super Rugby crowd. But no-one is call for blanket coverage of the ARC, REC and even the African Gold cup. But for crying out loud is it too much to ask to get a bit more coverage than what there currently is?

Clarification: Yes I know Samoa didn't play in '87 but the first world cup was invitation only, that fact is they've qualified for every world cup since '91.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Rugby Media and T2 coverage

Postby amz » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 07:18

thatrugbyguy wrote:no mention that one of Romania, Canada and Samoa are now likely to miss out on qualifying for the first time.

Probably not everybody is lurking as you on internet waiting for someone to break the neck whether it is Romania, Italy, Namibia or whoever isn't fashionable enough.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 07:58

thatrugbyguy wrote:The biggest rugby magazine in the world, Rugby World, has had no coverage what so ever this year on the ARC or the REC, both of which had matches doubling as Rugby World Cup qualifiers.

I need to check at home, as I am a Rugby World subscriber, but they did have at least the REC in their calendar. As it is a monthly magazine, I am quite sure it will be in the next issue. Last year they definitely had articles about the REC. And not just one.

I think, people in this forum off course excluded, English-native-speakers not capable of speaking another language tend to be extremely self-centric and often have trouble to understand the world outside their language culture (no offence: you could probably change that to nearly every other only native-speaker as well).

This is only more extreme in English-native-speaking communities as English is the world language and even educated people get away with failing to speak another language. This shows especially in rugby were the former and actual centres are so extremely English-speaking like in no other world sport I can think of bar cricket.

But I am positive, that this will change one day for rugby. It is just a really long road. And all we can do is get loud. Comment on social media about it, create some interest. There were i.e. no rugby games planned on German live tv broadcast at the last Olympics. The rugby community initiated a small social media shitstorm, others followed and in the end a lot of games were shown AND surprisingly the TV ratings were very good.
So comment for the sake of rugby ;-)
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 07:59

amz wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:no mention that one of Romania, Canada and Samoa are now likely to miss out on qualifying for the first time.

Probably not everybody is lurking as you on internet waiting for someone to break the neck whether it is Romania, Italy, Namibia or whoever isn't fashionable enough.

What's up today, amz? Don't you think every soccer fan in the world would be interested if an absolute regular at the RWC WILL miss out qualification? That's what normally fans in every other sport want to read about. Nothing about "fashionable".
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 08:07

That wasn't my point but OK, I have heard like 1 day when Italy failed to qualify to soccer WC and Italy in football is way better than Romania in soccer, after all is an ex World Champ.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 08:16

amz wrote:That wasn't my point but OK, I have heard like 1 day when Italy failed to qualify to soccer WC and Italy in football is way better than Romania in soccer, after all is an ex World Champ.

When the Netherlands failed we made jokes for many months or even years in Germany about it. The jokes about Italy are also still going on. But off course this is easier, as there are no tiers and all teams play minor nations. So if a smaller nations suddenly steps up your team has definitely played them before and you can relate more to that. And that's the point about Canada, Romania or Samoa missing out - they've played many t1&t2 at the various RWCs. Strange that this didn't lead to more reports about what's happening. And here we are back at the point I made before: they can't relate to the qualification process at all, because no Home Nations takes part in it.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 08:17

Btw. Did the French press report it? My French is simply not good enough to read whole newspaper articles.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 08:56

I didn't read French press, I usually wait to be posted on various rugby related FB groups and I haven't seen anything like that. Let's face it, the only way to make it into mainstream rugby press is doing something significant at World Cup, as Japan, Georgia or Fiji.

As for football and jokes, people still joke about things in the past. How many times before 2011 was NZ considered a choker? Or people still comment about 95 finale and alleged poisoning of players and come back to such events. This doesn't mean it has to be in press. Personally I think that Spain win deserved a piece in Planet Rugby's who's hot but I find trivial and mean the approach suggested with let's see who's missing. Besides, there are still games to be played to see if all there will miss RWC, even if those matches are easy for Spain.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:07

RugbyLiebe wrote:Btw. Did the French press report it? My French is simply not good enough to read whole newspaper articles.

Sure, they love their home team...

It was reported in Monday's Midi Olympique, as well as Rugbyrama (they publish REC results every week) and Le Rugbynistère (they've got a man living in Madrid).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:22

Armchair Fan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Btw. Did the French press report it? My French is simply not good enough to read whole newspaper articles.

I got some new information and the ref was a basque also :)). That's unbelievable they put a basque from Bayonne(30km from the boarder) to ref a whole team of basque players. He is even friend on FB with some of the players. Rugby Europe is brill.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:26

Well, the only Spanish player shown a yellow card was a Basque from Bayonne :lol:

But yes, it's not aesthetic. Rugby Europe messed it up completely with referees designations (and we still have ahead of us Mitrea and Iordachescu in the last two Spain games and Ruiz for Romania) and I wouldn't mind if somebody brought the topic onto next dicussion tables.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:35

Armchair Fan wrote:Well, the only Spanish player shown a yellow card was a Basque from Bayonne :lol:

It is just a small part of the big conspiration:).
Armchair Fan wrote:we still have ahead of us Mitrea and Iordachescu in the last two Spain

I will put a dollar for many cards against Spain in Belgium game :))

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:37

I trust referees, I just think it is incredibly stupid from Rugby Europe. It shows they don't give a damn.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:38

Armchair Fan wrote:

It was reported in Monday's Midi Olympique, as well as Rugbyrama (they publish REC results every week) and Le Rugbynistère (they've got a man living in Madrid).

Okay, did some quick research. The German victory over Romania was reported the same day: https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/6-nation ... tory.shtml

So why do the French apparently report outstanding results and the Home Nations don't?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:40

RugbyLiebe wrote:
So why do the French apparently report outstanding results and the Home Nations don't?

Because Rugby Europe is part of their sphere of influence, because they hope rugby goes more global and is less dependent on the anglophone conspiracy against them, because T2 and T3 have players in French clubs recognizable...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 09:44

Armchair Fan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Because Rugby Europe is part of their sphere of influence, because they hope rugby goes more global and is less dependent on the anglophone conspiracy against them, because T2 and T3 have players in French clubs recognizable...

So the old "we have only British Empire players in our league"-game. Because you can probably answering this directly without some research: where there any players playing on the British Isles included in that match-up?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 15:05

thatrugbyguy wrote:I think it's fair to say T2 and T3 rugby gets the short end of the stick when it comes to rugby media coverage, and whilst it's better than it once was with Japan and Pacific Island teams and players getting more coverage in recent years the rest of the world still struggles to get a mention. The biggest rugby magazine in the world, Rugby World, has had no coverage what so ever this year on the ARC or the REC, both of which had matches doubling as Rugby World Cup qualifiers. Planet Rugby, probably the most well known rugby website in the world, has only mentioned Uruguay's qualification and a video showing highlights of Spain's win over Romania. In 4 days since that win I have seen no mention of Spain's victory in any rugby media, no mention that one of Romania, Canada and Samoa are now likely to miss out on qualifying for the first time.

The fact that last point isn't big enough news in the rugby media says a lot. 3 teams who have been a consistent presence at Rugby World Cup are now fighting for 2 places. One of the veterans of the World Cup is going to miss out for 2019 and nobody knows about it. In football this would be big news, in rugby it's deemed not even worth mentioning. I understand the commercial realities of the situation for these publications, they are going to cater to the 6N and RC/Super Rugby crowd. But no-one is call for blanket coverage of the ARC, REC and even the African Gold cup. But for crying out loud is it too much to ask to get a bit more coverage than what there currently is?

Clarification: Yes I know Samoa didn't play in '87 but the first world cup was invitation only, that fact is they've qualified for every world cup since '91.

That's why myself and Tobar have built our media organization to cover MLR...

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 21 Feb 2018, 19:22

It's very worrying that World Cup qualifiers don't get covered in rugby outlets.

The Roar didn't even mention the Uruguay-Canada playoff.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 02:48

RugbyLiebe wrote:
I need to check at home, as I am a Rugby World subscriber, but they did have at least the REC in their calendar. As it is a monthly magazine, I am quite sure it will be in the next issue. Last year they definitely had articles about the REC. And not just one.

I think, people in this forum off course excluded, English-native-speakers not capable of speaking another language tend to be extremely self-centric and often have trouble to understand the world outside their language culture (no offence: you could probably change that to nearly every other only native-speaker as well).

This is only more extreme in English-native-speaking communities as English is the world language and even educated people get away with failing to speak another language. This shows especially in rugby were the former and actual centres are so extremely English-speaking like in no other world sport I can think of bar cricket.

But I am positive, that this will change one day for rugby. It is just a really long road. And all we can do is get loud. Comment on social media about it, create some interest. There were i.e. no rugby games planned on German live tv broadcast at the last Olympics. The rugby community initiated a small social media shitstorm, others followed and in the end a lot of games were shown AND surprisingly the TV ratings were very good.
So comment for the sake of rugby ;-)

Online at least articles exist but they're not coming out of the publications that have the widest audience for the game. There needs to be a better coverage from these media outlets especially when the game is growing globally. Again, doesn't have to be wall to wall coverage, just something better than what it currently is.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 12:13

NaBUru38 wrote:It's very worrying that World Cup qualifiers don't get covered in rugby outlets.

The Roar didn't even mention the Uruguay-Canada playoff.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't The Roar a site everyone can publish their opinion on? Do they even have some employed regulars writing articles or just volonteers?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 13:03

thatrugbyguy wrote: There needs to be a better coverage from these media outlets especially when the game is growing globally. Again, doesn't have to be wall to wall coverage, just something better than what it currently is.

I say this every time, but it really galls me the way that the BBC reports the football scores for friendlies between Andorra and Liechtenstein in front of a half dozen people, but not Georgia vs Russia in the REC in front of 55k supporters.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 13:14

Figaro wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote: There needs to be a better coverage from these media outlets especially when the game is growing globally. Again, doesn't have to be wall to wall coverage, just something better than what it currently is.

I say this every time, but it really galls me the way that the BBC reports the football scores for friendlies between Andorra and Liechtenstein in front of a half dozen people, but not Georgia vs Russia in the REC in front of 55k supporters.

Wasn't there this arrogant pr*** last year who said "what is this doing here" when the BBC (?) reported the REC or t3-November tests once?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 13:19

First I’ve heard of this.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 13:35

John Inverdale said why the hell was a football score on the screen when having a look at test matches results from that weekend. He was refering to Germany-Brazil.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 14:02

"Not sure what that's doing there" is what I believe his exact words to be... plank

Next

Return to Rugby Forum