Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby Media and T2 coverage

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby Media and T2 coverage

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 14:04

dwpeate wrote:"Not sure what that's doing there" is what I believe his exact words to be... plank

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1417&hilit=inverdale

That's the old thread.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby honestly_united » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 16:34

Was it not the Germany v Brazil friendly Nov test?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 16:55

Yes, Germany 45-12 Brazil. Last match with Germany full strenght.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 22 Feb 2018, 17:17

honestly_united wrote:Was it not the Germany v Brazil friendly Nov test?

So here's how we look at Germany, before the Strike they played Brazil and the US. The beat the brakes of Brazil and got thumped by us. Player Strike, got the brakes beat off them by Chile which has not won a match in the ARC.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 26 Mar 2018, 15:11

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2018/ ... cup-rugby/

NBC Sports will air the European Rugby Champions Cup and the European Rugby Challenge Cup from 2018/19 to 2021/22.

NBC and NBCSN will air at least 15 Champions Cup matches per season (about two per week).

NBC Sports Gold will air all Champions Cup matches and all Challenge Cup playoffs matches.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 16:49

I understand the first comment that started the thread. I have always wondered why there is little coverage of T2 teams on media sites such as BBC, SkySports...(I'm in the UK). Which is why I was asked to join this site from Twitter to cover such things. Unfortunately, I am not a qualified journalist even though I have an interest in writing about rugby union and the teams that media sites don't cover.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 17:03

I would imagine that T2 rugby isn't covered as much because frankly, people don't care as much about it than they do T1 rugby. I'm not saying that all T1 fans don't care about T2 rugby but it's not as big of a sell, therefore it doesn't make as much sense to spend more time looking into this. Case in point, on Reddit almost no one responds to the T2 related posts outside of a simple "cool" or "X country looks to be improving" (except for the REC debacle which had lots of comments). Then you get some mindless shitpost and you get 100+ comments. People just gravitate more towards what is familiar.

Now, this doesn't mean that they shouldn't cover it - they absolutely should and it isn't difficult to at least get summaries on the weekend's ARC/REC matches. The other consideration is that the writers just don't know about T2 rugby and can't provide in depth analysis, therefore they don't want to just throw it in.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 19:41

I wonder what would happen if there was a free to air TV station in T1 countries that would focus completely on broadcasting T2 rugby, both at the international and club level. Would it make any money? Wht sort of audiences could it expect?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 20:44

I'd probably watch tier two teams just to watch them and to see how they play especially in world cup qualifying matches. I reckon that Italy should drop out of the Six Nations and allow number one REC team to take their place. Italy doesn't seem to be able to compete with the big boys in recent years. Some would say they are the "whipping boys" of the group.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 20:44

Tobar wrote:I would imagine that T2 rugby isn't covered as much because frankly, people don't care as much about it than they do T1 rugby. I'm not saying that all T1 fans don't care about T2 rugby but it's not as big of a sell, therefore it doesn't make as much sense to spend more time looking into this. Case in point, on Reddit almost no one responds to the T2 related posts outside of a simple "cool" or "X country looks to be improving" (except for the REC debacle which had lots of comments). Then you get some mindless shitpost and you get 100+ comments. People just gravitate more towards what is familiar.

Now, this doesn't mean that they shouldn't cover it - they absolutely should and it isn't difficult to at least get summaries on the weekend's ARC/REC matches. The other consideration is that the writers just don't know about T2 rugby and can't provide in depth analysis, therefore they don't want to just throw it in.

Totally agree with this

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 21:09

Tomster7uk wrote:I'd probably watch tier two teams just to watch them and to see how they play especially in world cup qualifying matches. I reckon that Italy should drop out of the Six Nations and allow number one REC team to take their place. Italy doesn't seem to be able to compete with the big boys in recent years. Some would say they are the "whipping boys" of the group.

And the team that replaced them would be? Besides, Italy are finally getting getting better in age-grade teams and domestically.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 03:04

Blurandski wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:I'd probably watch tier two teams just to watch them and to see how they play especially in world cup qualifying matches. I reckon that Italy should drop out of the Six Nations and allow number one REC team to take their place. Italy doesn't seem to be able to compete with the big boys in recent years. Some would say they are the "whipping boys" of the group.

And the team that replaced them would be? Besides, Italy are finally getting getting better in age-grade teams and domestically.

Georgia mostly. Maybe sometimes Romania. However, I'd favor promotion and relegation through playoffs, instead of direct.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 06:27

qwerty wrote:
Blurandski wrote:

Georgia mostly. Maybe sometimes Romania. However, I'd favor promotion and relegation through playoffs, instead of direct.

Two numbers compared:
Italy: 60.497.174 Georgia:3.729.635
Italy: 30.527,27 Georgia: 3.853,65

One is the number of inhabitants, one is the GDP in $.
So even if Italy only had 400.000 inhabitants, it would still be the more lucrative market than Georgia. But having 16-times more people which make 128 times the GDP of Georgia. Never ever you will see Georgia replacing Italy. The only realistic option is growth to 8 Nations. Everything else is daydreaming.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 07:18

I'm not talking about replacement, but promotion and relegation. If Georgia happens to be better than Italy they should be in the 6N while that is true.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Datiko » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 07:59

Rugby is pretty insular and relatively small compared to other sports. There isn't world-wide interest to justify covering all the twists and turns of the sport especially at lower levels that aren't fully professional. I disconnected from most sites and media because its just a T1 circle jerk and I haven't seen a mention of Rugby Union outside of this forum in months. I don't expect things to change within the next 20 years unless a major market like the US or China disrupts the status quo.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 08:09

qwerty wrote:I'm not talking about replacement, but promotion and relegation. If Georgia happens to be better than Italy they should be in the 6N while that is true.

They should be. But the 6N is not a competition organized by a sports federation but an event from a private entity. It took a very long time to realize what this actually means. And more precise it means, that Georgia wont be a part of it, due to not being a market. And in lesser shades it mean, probably nobody will, because otherwise they wouldn't f*** over all of the other European nations again and again and again, because the people in charge don't give a f*** (leaving of the U18 Euro which directly affected, Georgia and Portugal and indirect everyone else, Heidelberg not in the Challenge Cup, the eligibility meltdown, Romania's U20, Russian teams playing each other to stay in the Challenge Cup, and and and).

And as we are in the Media coverage thread, nobody is intersted as well apart from the odd, if XYZ got better, followed by the next kick in the balls by the admins, because the interest of one of the Big 6 might be just a little bit different than for another continental team.

I have no idea how to break this vicious circle. And fans aren't helping, because they are not interested enough in t2.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 08:33

Datiko wrote:Rugby is pretty insular and relatively small compared to other sports. There isn't world-wide interest to justify covering all the twists and turns of the sport especially at lower levels that aren't fully professional. I disconnected from most sites and media because its just a T1 circle jerk and I haven't seen a mention of Rugby Union outside of this forum in months. I don't expect things to change within the next 20 years unless a major market like the US or China disrupts the status quo.

To be fair, it looks like MLR its making quite a lot of progress, with big, big TV numbers.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 08:43

RugbyLiebe wrote:
qwerty wrote:I'm not talking about replacement, but promotion and relegation. If Georgia happens to be better than Italy they should be in the 6N while that is true.

They should be. But the 6N is not a competition organized by a sports federation but an event from a private entity. It took a very long time to realize what this actually means. And more precise it means, that Georgia wont be a part of it, due to not being a market. And in lesser shades it mean, probably nobody will, because otherwise they wouldn't f*** over all of the other European nations again and again and again, because the people in charge don't give a f*** (leaving of the U18 Euro which directly affected, Georgia and Portugal and indirect everyone else, Heidelberg not in the Challenge Cup, the eligibility meltdown, Romania's U20, Russian teams playing each other to stay in the Challenge Cup, and and and).

And as we are in the Media coverage thread, nobody is intersted as well apart from the odd, if XYZ got better, followed by the next kick in the balls by the admins, because the interest of one of the Big 6 might be just a little bit different than for another continental team.

I have no idea how to break this vicious circle. And fans aren't helping, because they are not interested enough in t2.

The 6N is a private organisation, and hence they will do whatever they want to do to maximise revenue, which will mean not letting Georgia in for Italy.

There needs to be a separation between the private entities such as the 6N & ER, and the public bodies such as RE & WR. The latter two are (generally) doing great work. WR is funding the ARC, is looking got set up a South American League, and has a new global calendar. RE runs a very good league structure for all levels and forms (U18 to senior, women and men, sevens and XVs), and is (I believe) the ones in charge of running the continental shield. Georgia was one try away from finishing top 4 in the U20RWC, T1 v T2 tests will be a binding requirement in the new global calendar (whereas before they were given out at T1's pleasure), and once 2023 happens WR will be swimming in money to promote the sport. Progress is slow, yes, but it's happening, and will only increase in speed.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 09:17

Blurandski wrote:There needs to be a separation between the private entities such as the 6N & ER, and the public bodies such as RE & WR. The latter two are (generally) doing great work. WR is funding the ARC, is looking got set up a South American League, and has a new global calendar. RE runs a very good league structure for all levels and forms (U18 to senior, women and men, sevens and XVs), and is (I believe) the ones in charge of running the continental shield. Georgia was one try away from finishing top 4 in the U20RWC, T1 v T2 tests will be a binding requirement in the new global calendar (whereas before they were given out at T1's pleasure), and once 2023 happens WR will be swimming in money to promote the sport. Progress is slow, yes, but it's happening, and will only increase in speed.

I agree. I even think, that the problem is not in the adult male 6 Nations, but in age grade 6 Nations etc.

If World Rugby was run as an independent federation, they would have banned all age grade teams from the Home Nations and Italy from all international games for leaving the official Euro competition for a private event in 2015.
As long as this despotism continues rugby won't grow long term. Exactly this Georgian U20 was robbed to play the best of their continent every year. They managed the good result despite as many stones thrown as possible in their way. And no World Rugby isn't helping by tolerating something likes this at all.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 09:29

And on a second thought. WR will be swimming in money already in 2019, if they don't f*** up and do the typical American/Brit move.
Everyone involved in some business knows the ridiculous moves US/UK-companies make for European countries like putting France and Germany in one market or Italy and Germany etc. etc. etc, all because they think they have the slightest idea how a country works at first glance (and because most are not able to speak any other language and therefore have not the slightest clue about the big culture difference in Europe or even within European countries).
So if World Rugby got some Japanese marketing experts in, and let all of their guys out (only handling the home markets), they will make a lot of money already in 2019.
But we will see, but this adds up to judge the competency of WR.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 13:56

The media coverage over the Romania referee debacle was quite extensive in comparison to normal T2. It is interesting to read and view tier two and three as I have had more exposure to this end of the rugby spectrum in recent times.

My argument would be, the REC controversy got the media talking more about rugby and this is good marketing right? To open up a passageway to more interests and potentially financial revenue. So why cant the media do more in regards to increase the circle so tier two and three sides get their fair share.

Rugby union fanatics would be more intrigued and fascinated, I think. I could just be rambling here and talking utter bull...nothing new there!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 02:16

2 big problems about media:

1 - Journalists are common people. If they don't know nothing about something they won't pay attention. In other words, media doesn't know about rugby in T2/T3 countries and T1 rugby media doesn't know about T2/T3 rugby;

2 - The press needs money more than ever with sponsor stopping or paying less for ads as they can have more return advertising directly on social media. Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/YouTube are draining money from traditional journalism. Therefore they won't waste time doing reports that don't have much previous interest. Sports media depends on Press Releases for minor sports/teams;
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 06:41

victorsra wrote:2 big problems about media:

1 - Journalists are common people. If they don't know nothing about something they won't pay attention. In other words, media doesn't know about rugby in T2/T3 countries and T1 rugby media doesn't know about T2/T3 rugby;

2 - The press needs money more than ever with sponsor stopping or paying less for ads as they can have more return advertising directly on social media. Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/YouTube are draining money from traditional journalism. Therefore they won't waste time doing reports that don't have much previous interest. Sports media depends on Press Releases for minor sports/teams;

1+2 is the same problem. World Rugby doesn't make sure that you have press releases about everything. With the traditional press slowly dying there are less people who cover the same amount of content. So well written press releases and updates are gold as those are simply used word-by-word. If World Rugby had social media posts about those t2&3 events on time and well prepared that would make a massive difference.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 21:03

Well, the @WorldRugby_es Twitter account has been posting lots about South American competitions.

But that account has just 7 k followers, versus 300 k for @UnionArgentina abnd 100 k for #JaguaresArg

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 22:52

NaBUru38 wrote:Well, the @WorldRugby_es Twitter account has been posting lots about South American competitions.

But that account has just 7 k followers, versus 300 k for @UnionArgentina abnd 100 k for #JaguaresArg

What's the point of following an account which only publishes delayed translations of World Rugby communications furthermore upsetting those who believe other Spanish dialects are simply and plain wrong Spanish?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum