Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby Media and T2 coverage

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Rugby Media and T2 coverage

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 23:59

Tomster7uk wrote:My argument would be, the REC controversy got the media talking more about rugby and this is good marketing right?

Unfortunately I think there is truth to this. Which means we need Rugby Europe to perform another huge balls-up. Maybe once every year or two.

The problem with the 6N is that although it is a private competition it is treated by WR as a de facto part of Rugby Europe. So for example for the Women's RWC the women's 6N is used as a qualifying tournament whilst it is not a genuine regional competition. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Italy failed to auto-qualify for the RWC one year. 7s is one format where there is no 6N, so when Ireland decided to get interested they had to start at the bottom of the RE ladder. This is a good thing. Teams will have to take the RE 7s circuit seriously if they want to qualify for the Olympics or the World Series.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 00:12

NedRugby wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:My argument would be, the REC controversy got the media talking more about rugby and this is good marketing right?

Unfortunately I think there is truth to this. Which means we need Rugby Europe to perform another huge balls-up. Maybe once every year or two.

The problem with the 6N is that although it is a private competition it is treated by WR as a de facto part of Rugby Europe. So for example for the Women's RWC the women's 6N is used as a qualifying tournament whilst it is not a genuine regional competition. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Italy failed to auto-qualify for the RWC one year. 7s is one format where there is no 6N, so when Ireland decided to get interested they had to start at the bottom of the RE ladder. This is a good thing. Teams will have to take the RE 7s circuit seriously if they want to qualify for the Olympics or the World Series.

For 2007 Qualifying the top three from the REC, Spain (from a lover division playoff) and Russia joined Italy in a 2 pools of 3 round robin. Winner of each group qualified, with a playoff for the 2nd places. Similar in 2003 when Ireland and Italy qualified this way. Using this year's example, if Italy didn't auto qualify and there was an extra Europe place. To fit it into the summer international period (for it'd have to be before the repechage), it is likely that Portugal, Germany, Italy, and Russia would play a four way round robin, with 1&2 auto-qualfying, 3 going to the repechage.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 01:22

RugbyLiebe wrote:
victorsra wrote:2 big problems about media:

1 - Journalists are common people. If they don't know nothing about something they won't pay attention. In other words, media doesn't know about rugby in T2/T3 countries and T1 rugby media doesn't know about T2/T3 rugby;

2 - The press needs money more than ever with sponsor stopping or paying less for ads as they can have more return advertising directly on social media. Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/YouTube are draining money from traditional journalism. Therefore they won't waste time doing reports that don't have much previous interest. Sports media depends on Press Releases for minor sports/teams;

1+2 is the same problem. World Rugby doesn't make sure that you have press releases about everything. With the traditional press slowly dying there are less people who cover the same amount of content. So well written press releases and updates are gold as those are simply used word-by-word. If World Rugby had social media posts about those t2&3 events on time and well prepared that would make a massive difference.

Tbf of all things that should be least of World Rugby's worries, If sport can't generate headlines than what can it do ?

I think People around forums such as these are the most knowledgeable about Tier 2 rugby... Which is sad considering how many deluded posters we have. Still tho it is us who should be writing blogs. and popularizing tier 2 I know some of you don't like Beeman but he alone has done an amazing job popularizing T2 with his blog. 1040 guys had a nice show but I think they have a new gig so idk if they'll continue.

Either way If we're claiming that we love rugby so much and we want to popularize it than we should be the ones doing it. There have been lots of discussions on this forum alone, and we've learned things from each other.. Even tho sometimes it gets childish and ridiculous I think average posters rugby knowledge has grown since Fira-Forum days, sharing meaningful information and discussing ideas for change is what we do. Hell sometimes journalists come here to read up on the state of affairs :| .
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 05:35

Blurandski wrote:For 2007 Qualifying the top three from the REC, Spain (from a lover division playoff) and Russia joined Italy in a 2 pools of 3 round robin. Winner of each group qualified, with a playoff for the 2nd places. Similar in 2003 when Ireland and Italy qualified this way. Using this year's example, if Italy didn't auto qualify and there was an extra Europe place. To fit it into the summer international period (for it'd have to be before the repechage), it is likely that Portugal, Germany, Italy, and Russia would play a four way round robin, with 1&2 auto-qualfying, 3 going to the repechage.

This is what I mean. Italy would get a bye into the final qualifying round. On what basis? World Rankings? But what would happen if Georgia also had to qualify? They are ahead in the rankings - could they also skip the earlier qualification rounds? The whole thing is a mess.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 08:19

fullbackace wrote:Tbf of all things that should be least of World Rugby's worries, If sport can't generate headlines than what can it do ?

From my experience this is naive. It absolutely should be number one priority. That's how successful sport federations and clubs build there brand.
See it from the other perspective. If a sport can't create headlines at their own federation, it is maybe not interesting.
I've got insight about how Bayern München and the German soccer federation manage the news and you can bei 100% sure that they control bloody everything and make sure to create their own news as much as possible. This goes so far that already 20 years ago Uli Hoeness (club president of Bayern) called the editor in chief of a newspaper or a sports internet page or even a small mobile service, when he didn't like what he was reading.

Next step was then to give a licence to a newsoutlet to produce news for them in their name. Again 100% controlled and in written agreement what to write and what not. This obviously got the number one source AND also wrote press releases. Nowadays the DFB, and the Bundesliga have their own agencies who produce the news. This together with embedded journalists (if you write only nice things you stay close with us) is what you need to do as a club, federation etc.

Make it as simple as possible for journalists to write something about the sport. That's one part where World Rugby fails miserably.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 16:07

World Rugby's YouTube channel has plenty of videos about multiple test matches around the world. But no video gets more than 20 k views.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 12:56

What I don't understand is: WR do produces articles about T2-T3 competitions. Why websites like Scrum or Planet Rugby don't use them? It is the simple idea of press releases, copy and paste! However, sometimes those WR articles are released too late....
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:26

NedRugby wrote:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Italy failed to auto-qualify for the RWC one year. .

It would be interesting indeed, what would be the possible outcome if said event did materialise? I would like to see them contest the REC or have a play off between the winner of the REC and RET (or a three team league) with the winner playing a play off against an Oceania nation (should the format remain the same).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:29

Tomster7uk wrote:
NedRugby wrote:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Italy failed to auto-qualify for the RWC one year. .

It would be interesting indeed, what would be the possible outcome if said event did materialise? I would like to see them contest the REC or have a play off between the winner of the REC and RET (or a three team league) with the winner playing a play off against an Oceania nation (should the format remain the same).

If Rugby Europe wouldn't have messed up big time this year and probably lost every credibility, they should tell Italy, if they won't qualify, that they are welcome but need to start in the lowest division AND play with all their youth teams in European competitions. Why give a team from a private competition any advantage over full members?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:34

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:
NedRugby wrote:

If Rugby Europe wouldn't have messed up big time this year and probably lost every credibility, they should tell Italy, if they won't qualify, that they are welcome but need to start in the lowest division AND play with all their youth teams in European competitions. Why give a team from a private competition any advantage over full members?

That's a no-go from the start. WR organises qualifying. The most likely outcome would be that 2nd in REC qualifies automatically, 3rd in REC, Italy, and 1st in RET would do a round robin. 1st place gets an auto spot, 2nd goes to playoff. Or alternatively, 2nd in REC, 3rd in REC, 1st in RET and Italy. 1st and 2nd auto qualify, 3rd to repechage/PO.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:43

Blurandski wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:
NedRugby wrote:

That's a no-go from the start. WR organises qualifying. The most likely outcome would be that 2nd in REC qualifies automatically, 3rd in REC, Italy, and 1st in RET would do a round robin. 1st place gets an auto spot, 2nd goes to playoff. Or alternatively, 2nd in REC, 3rd in REC, 1st in RET and Italy. 1st and 2nd auto qualify, 3rd to repechage/PO.

That is providing Georgia keeps up with the automatic qualifying otherwise that would make things more interesting....

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 14:59

Tomster7uk wrote:
That is providing Georgia keeps up with the automatic qualifying otherwise that would make things more interesting....

True, Georgia will face a challenge to come 3rd against Fiji. Mind you Italy will have Namibia and Canada (in all likelihood), so should auto-qualify. However if Georgia don't auto-qualify, Europe would probably get another space.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 15:23

Blurandski wrote:That's a no-go from the start. WR organises qualifying. The most likely outcome would be that 2nd in REC qualifies automatically, 3rd in REC, Italy, and 1st in RET would do a round robin. 1st place gets an auto spot, 2nd goes to playoff. Or alternatively, 2nd in REC, 3rd in REC, 1st in RET and Italy. 1st and 2nd auto qualify, 3rd to repechage/PO.

They will then. But no at the moment Rugby Europe was organizing the qualification on the continent. Italy is a member of Rugby Europe.
But yeah, I agree that your scenario is the one we will see. I still don't understand why Rugby Europe didn't put some pressure up for the 7s and the Olympics.

Blurandski wrote: However if Georgia don't auto-qualify, Europe would probably get another space.

Exactly this. We lost one place when Georgia auto-qualified, so this place has to come back.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 15:57

Stop asking yourselves questions like that. Italy will qualify for next RWC during RWC. End of topic...

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 20:36

vino_93 wrote:Stop asking yourselves questions like that. Italy will qualify for next RWC during RWC. End of topic...

You're showing arrogance and you might have jinxed their participation now, haha.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 22:09

vino_93 wrote:Stop asking yourselves questions like that. Italy will qualify for next RWC during RWC. End of topic...

I agree with this

If we want something to change we need at least 2 nations to step up their game. Georgia alone isn't enough because it's only one country and one can always be passed as an exception. If say 2 countries from REC got to auto qualify what would they do ? take away both spots ? :roll:

So we have one Nation that has broken the mold and sparked a debate. Now we need another to back them up and drive the point home. Then change really has to come because there simply won't be another way.

Unfortunately this years shenanigans will likely leave a mark on Romania and Spain who were the closest. Other teams lack talent at this point and will need to raise better players, which will take a decade even if they start immediately.

Then you realize the problems Germany faced. So our best hope is Russia and Portugal ?

We are in deep shite gentlemen. :|

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 23:12

It's not media, media, but I've done a short write-up of T2&3 rugby over the past week, and I'm intending to write it every week from now on, alongside other pieces, all feedback appreciated.

https://beyondthecartel.blogspot.com/20 ... 80618.html

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 23:18

Blurandski wrote:It's not media, media, but I've done a short write-up of T2&3 rugby over the past week, and I'm intending to write it every week from now on, alongside other pieces, all feedback appreciated.

Nicely done :thumbup:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 23:36

Blurandski wrote:It's not media, media, but I've done a short write-up of T2&3 rugby over the past week, and I'm intending to write it every week from now on, alongside other pieces, all feedback appreciated.

Beautiful piece of writing, top marks for making it very informative.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 04:21

I've talked with a video editor friend about setting up a youtube rugby channel that focuses on both T1 and T2 rugby nations. Just short 10 min videos with graphics explaining the history of rugby in these nations, their leagues and club teams, players etc. There's not many rugby specific channels on Youtube.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 11:30

fullbackace wrote:

Nicely done :thumbup:

Tomster7uk wrote:

Beautiful piece of writing, top marks for making it very informative.

Cheers, I'll try to do it every Tuesday. If you have anything that you want to get put up, just ask.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 12:17

Any idea if there will be any live coverage for draws of EPCR Cups?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 12:39

amz wrote:Any idea if there will be any live coverage for draws of EPCR Cups?

HERE: https://www.epcrugby.com/video/video-20 ... raws-live/

The continental shield header just gets better every time I see it.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 19:47

A little piece on Latvian rugby and it's history: http://beyondthecartel.blogspot.com/201 ... rugby.html. I intend on doing this once a week, so if anyone has any countries they'd like me to do, or resources I could use, please give me a shout.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 22 Jun 2018, 11:47

I can say that Sankei Sports newspaper which has the best rugby coverage has covered the RWC qualifying games with at least small 1 or 2 paragragh stories including all the games last week, andof course had quite comprehensive coverage of the ENC qualifying debacle, especially on account of the fact Europe 1 is in their group and playing the opening game.

However nothing (apart from Euro debacle) on the other main newspaper (general and sporting) sites.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum