Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Who can still qualify for RWC 2019?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Who can still qualify for RWC 2019?

Postby Tomster7uk » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 16:20

Europe

The Rugby Europe Championship still has two possible entrants but Romania have played all of their games in the championship but must rely on Spain not winning both of their games remaining to automatically qualify for Japan.

Spain need eight points or more to qualify as their head to head with Romania is better so if they tie on points, head to head will offer us the answer to the equation sort of speak.

The runner up of the championship will book their place in a play off against round 5 winners Portugal who beat Czechia 45-12 and that also doubled a league match also.

The winner of the Portugal play off then will see them play Samoa in the Europe/Oceania play off match which will be a home and away affair in June.(The second leg will be in Apia, Samoa). Whilst the loser qualifies for the repechage which I will talk about later.

Asia

There are three teams for possible qualification from this continent as the ARC (Asia Rugby Championship) kicks off next month which sees teams like Hong Kong, South Korea and Malaysia fight it out for a play off place against Oceania cup winners, Tahiti for a berth in the repechage.

Africa

Six teams in the 2018 Gold Cup will contest the tournament in the hope of winning it to qualify automatically with the runner up hitting up the repechage.

Kenya, Morocco, Namibia, Tunisia, Uganda and Zimbabwe (former Rhodesia) are the teams whom are able to secure a place in next years world cup.

Starts in June the Gold Cup.

Oceania

Tahiti won the Oceania Cup in 2017 to guarantee themselves a place for a play off against the winners of the 2018 Asia Rugby Championships.

Repechage

This is a mini tournament and the last step for qualifying for Japan for the teams who didn't win their main championships. Unlike in previous repechage tournaments where there was a semi final and a final, this time round it will be a round robin league where each team plays one game and the winner of the league qualifies for Japan 2019.

Re: Who can still qualify for RWC 2019?

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 16:44

Sir, thanks for enlightening this forum of T2 bumpkins

For further info pls check this thread >> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=794

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 22:21

Tomster7uk wrote:"[...] and Zimbabwe (former Rhodesia)

Thanks, no one knew and it's still completely relevant.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 22:54

Come on, let's not give him a hard time. Welcome, you'll see there's much interesting info on Tier 2 and 3 nations. And a bit of resentment towards Tier 1, World Rugby, etc... :D

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 04:34

Yeah, come on, no need to treat new people like that. Ignore them Tomster and welcome, if you search a page or two back there's already a thread dedicated to 2019 qualifying. Feel free to post your thoughts there!

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 08:24

Feel free to post your thoughts there!

SPOT ON :!:

WELCOME, but not as ARCH-BISHOP, just a minor monk

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 14:29

Armchair Fan wrote:Come on, let's not give him a hard time.

I agree, but I also think folks were very restrained. And funny.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 21:50

Thank you for them being supportive, I am used to much criticism as I am an amateur touch judge for a local club so I do have critics who see the flaws in my officiating. I like to be honest and increase much integrity as possible.

I am quite recently new at this "rugby journalism" business...I dont mind the criticism as long as it's constructive and not immature aggression.

Thanks,
Kind Regards,
Tom

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 21:53

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Sir, thanks for enlightening this forum of T2 bumpkins

For further info pls check this thread >> http://www.t2rugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=794

Thanks, some interesting information.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 07:00

Why can't WR just increase the teams to 24? From the look of things, we will have a casualty in either Romania or Samoa. But quoting what someone said earlier, the only way WR can increase the teams, is when Scotland fail to qualify. The same Scotland are the ones who forced WR to increase automatic qualifiers in 2007 after they failed to make the cup quarters after a loss to Argentina in the pool stages. Talk about preferential treatment.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 07:28

Neptune wrote: From the look of things, we will have a casualty in either Romania or Samoa.

Nope. One of Romania/Samoa/Canada will definitely fail to qualify. Apart from that I absolutely agree that it's about time for a 24-team-world-cup.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby Raven » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 10:18

Neptune wrote:Why can't WR just increase the teams to 24? From the look of things, we will have a casualty in either Romania or Samoa. But quoting what someone said earlier, the only way WR can increase the teams, is when Scotland fail to qualify. The same Scotland are the ones who forced WR to increase automatic qualifiers in 2007 after they failed to make the cup quarters after a loss to Argentina in the pool stages. Talk about preferential treatment.

How many teams are missing out of the world stage that could be competitive on the field or can at least provide an interesting unexplored market that would fill the stands on "unpopular" games. I cannot think of a single country that ticks all the boxes. Romania, Canada or Samoa missing out of the next RWC is a result of 4 years of doing things incorrectly, we can go over all the individual threads on this same forum and the answers are right there...

I hope to be proved wrong, but I cannot see any of the 12 countries that qualified directly in RWC2015 missing out on a direct qualification for the 2023 RWC. Even Italy should beat the likes of a Repechage winner in the pool stage.

Can´t understand why you are attacking Scotland, first of all they have been playing quite good rugby and were a ref mistake away of being semi-finalists of the last RWC; but most importantly, Scotland has always been automatically qualified as they made it to quarters on every world cup with the exception of 2011, where they missed out after losing to Argentina in the group stage, but still secured the 3rd place in the pool giving them automatic entry to the 2015 competition...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 10:30

Raven wrote:
Neptune wrote:Why can't WR just increase the teams to 24? From the look of things, we will have a casualty in either Romania or Samoa. But quoting what someone said earlier, the only way WR can increase the teams, is when Scotland fail to qualify. The same Scotland are the ones who forced WR to increase automatic qualifiers in 2007 after they failed to make the cup quarters after a loss to Argentina in the pool stages. Talk about preferential treatment.

How many teams are missing out of the world stage that could be competitive on the field or can at least provide an interesting unexplored market that would fill the stands on "unpopular" games. I cannot think of a single country that ticks all the boxes. Romania, Canada or Samoa missing out of the next RWC is a result of 4 years of doing things incorrectly, we can go over all the individual threads on this same forum and the answers are right there...

I hope to be proved wrong, but I cannot see any of the 12 countries that qualified directly in RWC2015 missing out on a direct qualification for the 2023 RWC. Even Italy should beat the likes of a Repechage winner in the pool stage.

Can´t understand why you are attacking Scotland, first of all they have been playing quite good rugby and were a ref mistake away of being semi-finalists of the last RWC; but most importantly, Scotland has always been automatically qualified as they made it to quarters on every world cup with the exception of 2011, where they missed out after losing to Argentina in the group stage, but still secured the 3rd place in the pool giving them automatic entry to the 2015 competition...

Can you please tell me what Romania did incorrectly by climbing constantly in rankings and beating convincingly already qualified underachievers like USA, Uruguay or better placed teams like Georgia and Samoa? Probably is the least hectic administration in Europe except Georgia.

And after two matches, with one blatant referee blunder (vs Russia) and with an excessively friendly French ref suddenly Spain, who failed to gather the team until the decisive two matches and had numerous off field problems highlighted here are suddenly the ones who did things right? If the way up who people cherish is speculating ancestry and ref mistakes than I do prefer the play off and repechage.

Romania, Canada or Samoa missing out of the next RWC is a result of 4 years of doing things incorrectly

Don't start with age grades, that has nothing to do with it, what come from Spanish age grades in Spanish squad was non-existant.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 10:57

Not really, between 1987 and 2018 Romania beat France (away),Wales (away), Italy and Scotland. In 2011 we've been less than 10 minutes away of beating Scotland at the World cup. In 2007 Italy beat us 24-18 with huge help from the ref.Please take in account that our last game vs a tier 1 outside World Cup was in 2006. Maybe we didn't make everything perfect but this isolation didn't help either. Imagine at football playing only few countries over and over without being able to compete with Brasil, Argentina, Germany, Spain Italy etc...The interest for football will go down dramatically i assure you in any country.
Lately Georgia got some T1 tests but away from home.Maybe it is sound unrealistic for many but i think it is a totally different thing for Romania&Georgia playing at home a 6N country and we have a good chance for a win. I remember Scotland, France and Italy struggling really bad in the last years so i don't see such a impossible thing that one of them missing the World cup in a qualifier...

Postby Raven » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 10:17

amz wrote:
Raven wrote:

Can you please tell me what Romania did incorrectly by climbing constantly in rankings and beating convincingly already qualified underachievers like USA, Uruguay or better placed teams like Georgia and Samoa? Probably is the least hectic administration in Europe except Georgia.

And after two matches, with one blatant referee blunder (vs Russia) and with an excessively friendly French ref suddenly Spain, who failed to gather the team until the decisive two matches and had numerous off field problems highlighted here are suddenly the ones who did things right? If the way up who people cherish is speculating ancestry and ref mistakes than I do prefer the play off and repechage.

Romania, Canada or Samoa missing out of the next RWC is a result of 4 years of doing things incorrectly

Don't start with age grades, that has nothing to do with it, what come from Spanish age grades in Spanish squad was non-existant.

OK. Firstly, I apologise if you feel attacked personally by what I stated above. I should have added "IMO"; as it´s the way I see it.

Secondly, I try not to count chickens before they hatch, but my gut tells me Spain will indeed beat Belgium, and therefor Romania will end up in a tough Play Off that might send them to an also tough Repechage where anything can happen, but also a stage in which the team will have to perform at a RWC level to enter the actual competition. Canada sound´t be underestimated never mind them losing to Uruguay twice. In fairness, Romania may have an advantage as they have experienced this to get in the RWC2011 - very different format and oppositions of course.

But for the sake of argument (as this is a forum after all), let me turn to you and perhaps help me understand, "what was done right" on behalf of Romania this last few years -
winners of the REC2017 (and with a chance to win REC2018) - in order to fail to secure a direct spot in the RWC? I won´t mention age grades as you don´t want me to do so, and you are right, Spain doesn´t seem to be the perfect example on player pathway either.
But winning friendlies and ranking positions doesn´t qualify you to the World Cup... you are really going to blame refs of helping Spain deliberately as a proved argument? You also mention a dislike in teams recurring to ancestry, and I see in Romania´s last 2 squads surnames such as: van Heerden, Faka´osilea, Kinikinilau, Umaga, Fonovai, Shennan ....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 11:14

I don''t feel attacked personally, I'm just tired of reading all kind of posts for people who mimic knowledge.

Raven wrote:Secondly, I try not to count chickens before they hatch, but my gut tells me Spain will indeed beat Belgium, and therefor Romania will end up in a tough Play Off that might send them to an also tough Repechage where anything can happen, but also a stage in which the team will have to perform at a RWC level to enter the actual competition. Canada sound´t be underestimated never mind them losing to Uruguay twice. In fairness, Romania may have an advantage as they have experienced this to get in the RWC2011 - very different format and oppositions of course.

Nobody here believes Spain will choke and nobody underestimate Canada or Samoa or the difficulty to go to such a long path. What I want to found out from you is where exactly what do you think this is the "result of 4 years of doing things incorrectly, we can go over all the individual threads on this same forum and the answers are right there..." I am really curious to find out exactly what do you think was done incorenctly because I see 2 games on the same pattern, played in a moment when local Romanian competition is closed due to weather and players have hard time getting back in shape. Course, those are not pretty but the part with 4 years is unclear.

Raven wrote:But for the sake of argument (as this is a forum after all), let me turn to you and perhaps help me understand, "what was done right" on behalf of Romania this last few years -
winners of the REC2017 (and with a chance to win REC2018) - in order to fail to secure a direct spot in the RWC? I won´t mention age grades as you don´t want me to do so, and you are right, Spain doesn´t seem to be the perfect example on player pathway either.
But winning friendlies and ranking positions doesn´t qualify you to the World Cup... you are really going to blame refs of helping Spain deliberately as a proved argument? You also mention a dislike in teams recurring to ancestry, and I see in Romania´s last 2 squads surnames such as: van Heerden, Faka´osilea, Kinikinilau, Umaga, Fonovai, Shennan ....

Bothered by 5-6 non-Romanian surnames? Take a wild guess how many Spaniards are actually born in Spain, than read below than please compare with those 5 Romanians qualified as residency :) Is a silly argument to be put into light considering how T1 countries (Scotland?) or likes of Japan can go up to dozen foreign born players. Romania is doing what others more successful seem to do as well without being bothered by surnames.

Spoiler:
Beñat Auzqui (Grenoble, ProD2) - French, his brother represented Spain and he came onboard while in Fédérale 1. Meeting former coach Régis Sonnes led him to Top 14
Marco Pinto (Béziers, ProD2) - Spanish, born in Barcelona but playing in France for the last decade
Jesús Moreno (Provence Rugby, Fédérale 1) - Spanish, born in Málaga, has played in England and France, is married to a French woman and his kids are French
Quentin García (Chambéry, Fédérale 1) - French
Alberto Blanco (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, born in Valladolid, never played abroad
Fernando López (AMPO Ordizia, Liga Heineken) - Argentinian, came to Spain a decade ago, tried his luck in France and came back again

Locks & Back Row
Lucas Guillaume (Narbonne, ProD2) - French
Gautier Gibouin (Nevers, ProD2) - French, plays for Spain since U18 is subcaptain and even asked his Spanish passport five years ago, becoming Spanish citizen
Aníbal Bonan (Bagnères, Fédérale 1) - Argentinian, came to Spain and then went to France
David Barrera (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1) - Spanish from Sevilla with part of his family English, went to France pretty young and has made his career there
Pierre Barthere (Rouen, Fédérale 1) - French
Thibaut Visensang (Tyrosse, Fédérale 1) - French, his brother represented Spain too
Kalo Kalo Gavidi (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken) - Fijian
Matt Foulds (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken) - English
Víctor Sánchez (SilverStorm El Salvador, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, from Salamanca
Jaime Nava (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, from Madrid, captain, made his career in France but came back last year

Scrum-half
Guillaume Rouet (Bayonne, ProD2) - French, came onboard after watching his brother play in Madrid and liking the atmosphere
Sébastien Rouet (Narbonne, ProD2) - French

Fly-half & Centre
Mathieu Bélie (Nevers, ProD2) - French, former France U20
Dan Snee (Havelock North, Mitre 10) - NZ, qualified through residency and in spite of returning home he keeps coming to Spain every winter just for REC
Fabien Perrin (Bourg-en-Bresse, Fédérale 1) - French
Thibaut Álvarez (Pamiers, Fédérale 2) - French
Iñaki Mateu (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - Argentinian, came with his family when he was a kid. He trained with Argentina U20 but represented Spain too
Jaime Mata (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - Spanish, from Madrid

Wing & Fullback
Charlie Malié (Pau, Top14) - French, chose Spain as a 20 year old from Fédérale 1 and is now the only Top 14 guy. It is said France was surprised to know he wasn't eligible
Sébastien Ascarat (Montauban, ProD2) - French
Mathieu Peluchon (Albi, Fédérale 1) - French, a God for Spanish fans since his drop goal against Romania in 2012, injuries have prevented him from coming regularly
Ignacio Contardi (Niort, Fédérale 1) - Argentinian, played in Spain and then jumped to France
Brad Linklater (Sanitas Alcobendas, Liga Heineken) - NZ, came to Spain, tried his luck in Italy, came back and married a Spanish woman
Julen Goia (Ordizia, Liga Heineken) - Spanish from Basque Country, tried his luck in just across the border and came back
Federico Casteglioni (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares, Liga Heineken) - Argentinian

Postby Raven » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 13:45

amz wrote:I don''t feel attacked personally, I'm just tired of reading all kind of posts for people who mimic knowledge.

Ok, good to know.

amz wrote:Nobody here believes Spain will choke and nobody underestimate Canada or Samoa or the difficulty to go to such a long path. What I want to found out from you is where exactly what do you think this is the "result of 4 years of doing things incorrectly, we can go over all the individual threads on this same forum and the answers are right there..." I am really curious to find out exactly what do you think was done incorenctly because I see 2 games on the same pattern, played in a moment when local Romanian competition is closed due to weather and players have hard time getting back in shape. Course, those are not pretty but the part with 4 years is unclear.

Dude, if Romania -a team that has been a RWC participant since 1987- isn´t Europe 1 in a qualy tournament where Georgia is playing with nothing to lose, and the only 2 other competitors that have RWC experience are Spain & Russia with one participation each (and one of them almost 20 years ago), you have to be very biased not to admit something must have gone wrong in the build up or execution. Your reasoning is something along the lines of: "refs helped another team" and "the 2 games lost where played when the Romanian champ is on a pause"; so aside from still not being qualified to Japan everything else was done right? Again, my feeling is, Romania didn´t prepare the games right these last few years, not just the two defeats, and they had time for it, it´s not just about winning all the time but the job you do to win. IF they miss the World Cup you probably would have to agree with me that the result shows that things should have been done differently: lack of friendly games to broaden the squad depth and / or test game preparation, underestimation of rivals, player motivation, inability to negotiate better with pro clubs for top player release... whatever goes. It´s a professional structure that runs the team, and after all it´s "only" a direct RWC qualy spot what they were fighting for... unless all this falls in a mastermind plan where Romania wants to be feeded in a group with Italy and Africa 1 to aim for a direct spot in 2023 :shock:

However, and in case you believe I took all 3 countries lightly without knowing, I never compared them and I am well aware that Samoa had other issues as well as Canada had their own, although in America I venture to say Uruguay did a hell of a job to enhance their rugby programme and the Cannucks just cruised thinking playing T1 games would have a direct impact in their style of rugby. But the end result of all this will be seen after the Play Offs / Repechage.

Back to the Oaks, if you think all was peaches and cream, and may have to cheer for another WC participant, fair enough!

amz wrote:Bothered by 5-6 non-Romanian surnames? Take a wild guess how many Spaniards are actually born in Spain, than read below than please compare with those 5 Romanians qualified as residency :) Is a silly argument to be put into light considering how T1 countries (Scotland?) or likes of Japan can go up to dozen foreign born players. Romania is doing what others more successful seem to do as well without being bothered by surnames.

Nah, I´m way passed that road, actually I personally don´t mind players not being born in a country and helping T2 and T3 sides to grow the game and become more competitive (having said this, I do not like it when T1 teams do it, not only Scotland I might add) But find it ironic that you complain about Spain being "very French" as if they were doing an illegal move when Romania also has foreign players on their squad. FOR ME, if it´s 5, 12 or 17 it makes no difference, you are doing the same, and I think that if Romania could bring 5 more residents on board maybe they would too cause again, it´s not illegal.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 14:20

But you kind of agree my point. Much tougher games were very well prepared (Tonga, Samoa, Georgia, US, Canada) while the two lost ones have something in common. Both had ref mistakes, Germany one even influenced the final result but I don't claim this is a main reason, is maybe collateral. Not playing meaningful games may be an issue for any team, not only T2 ones. Russians complain about this as well. Team can have a bad day and I assure you nobody underestimated Spain (maybe Germany) etc etc So not all was made bad in these 4 years as you say.

Than I didn't complain about Spain implants per se, just mentioned them when somebody is pointing to some Romanian players which is a difference so I don't know what you find ironic with this, is merely an urge to use the same balance and not cherry picking what suits your momentarily stance.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 02:23

You never know, Belgium may pull out the best result of recent times....

Return to Rugby Forum